HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

N. Kadri discussion thread v12

Closed Thread

Old
10-30-2012, 02:30 PM
NaiveLeafsFan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sypher04 View Post
Teams aren't stupid. If the Leafs are/were peddling Kadri, the team in question isn't going to care about Eakins' public comments on Kadri. If they have interest in him, they'll send their scouts to watch him and make their own judgement.
Exactly. Burke has invested way too much time into Kadri's development not to see him get a shot in the bigs. Kadri is Burke's first draft pick and the exact area where he can continue his good work with the team.

Old
10-30-2012, 03:17 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Just watched entire Hockey central Gary Roberts talk on diet and nutrition. Fascinating thing, any athlete or even those who strive to live healthy should really listen to it.
As well checked on his comment about Kadri:

-Kadri took up the offer ofc as everyone knows right after the calder cup in late june with a seperate shoulder.
-It was clear he needed more time and couldn't train. Started very late as he literally couldn't start training hard till July 15th. Which in terms of a Pro Athelete is very late.
-Was under Robert's tutelage for 6 weeks - about 7 weeks, he thinks nazem needs 2-3 years of that to get where he should be regarding his nutrition/diet.
-Life style choice he needs to address with his nutrition and rest.
-Learned a lot from Roberts, he needs time but made good strides.
-Needs to live that life style all the time to have success. Aside from training and practice.
----------------------------
At the end of it Kyper stated for the future that's certainly what's need but without a doubt his game has improved and that's something Leaf Fans' should keep in mind.

10-30-2012, 05:35 PM
Dangles McGavin
RIP Lounge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
Just watched entire Hockey central Gary Roberts talk on diet and nutrition. Fascinating thing, any athlete or even those who strive to live healthy should really listen to it.
As well checked on his comment about Kadri:

-Kadri took up the offer ofc as everyone knows right after the calder cup in late june with a seperate shoulder.
-It was clear he needed more time and couldn't train. Started very late as he literally couldn't start training hard till July 15th. Which in terms of a Pro Athelete is very late.
-Was under Robert's tutelage for 6 weeks - about 7 weeks, he thinks nazem needs 2-3 years of that to get where he should be regarding his nutrition/diet.
-Life style choice he needs to address with his nutrition and rest.
-Learned a lot from Roberts, he needs time but made good strides.
-Needs to live that life style all the time to have success. Aside from training and practice.
----------------------------
At the end of it Kyper stated for the future that's certainly what's need but without a doubt his game has improved and that's something Leaf Fans' should keep in mind.
Is there a link online anywhere?

Edit: Found it. Here it is for anyone who wants to watch: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2012/..._roberts_diet/

Last edited by Dangles McGavin: 10-30-2012 at 05:41 PM.
Old
10-30-2012, 07:41 PM
LeafsMonster
MeowLeafs is awesome

Dallas neer said anything bad about kadri. He saying naz has improved a lot on what they were telling him to do. He just needs to combine what he's learned(defensive game, simple play) with his skill and talent(mainly creativity). He's shown he can do both effectively, now its just a matter of refining his overa game by combining both of these factors. Once e does that, he will be an impact player.

Old
11-01-2012, 05:22 PM
TmlHockeyFan

C'mon Kadri get a multi-point night.

Old
11-01-2012, 05:27 PM
LeafsMonster
MeowLeafs is awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmlhockeyfan View Post
This.

Old
11-01-2012, 07:20 PM
mikebel111
Optimistic/Patient

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmlhockeyfan View Post

I just want him to get his first goal, it will do wonders for his confidence, he is really snakebitten

Old
11-01-2012, 07:35 PM
MapleLeafs9
LOL vv

vCash: 50
Hoping for some Gardiner and Kadri points tonight!

Old
11-01-2012, 07:40 PM
EDDIE20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleLeafs9 View Post
IMO He isn't. Not everyone is going to make the NHL at 18, 19 or 20 and dominate like Ovechkin, Crosby, Malkin and Stamkos. Everyone was just expecting an immediate impact player when we had the 7th overall pick in 09.
This. Can't be repeated often enough.

Old
11-01-2012, 08:00 PM
EDDIE20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alflives View Post
Kadri only makes contact when he is at the advantage. He avoids all other contact.
Kinda like Karlsson....

Old
11-01-2012, 08:49 PM
bunjay

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDDIE20 View Post
Kinda like Karlsson....
Karlsson just won the Norris trophy. Kadri hasn't even shown he's an NHL player, unless you think being drafted in the top 10 automatically makes you one. Gardiner has as many goals as Kadri has points so far this season. One is obvious NHL material, the other has yet to show it.

Old
11-01-2012, 09:15 PM
EDDIE20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunjay View Post
Karlsson just won the Norris trophy. Kadri hasn't even shown he's an NHL player, unless you think being drafted in the top 10 automatically makes you one. Gardiner has as many goals as Kadri has points so far this season. One is obvious NHL material, the other has yet to show it.
I was responding to someone who said Kadri doesn't make contact. I don't see Karlsson delivering too many big hits either. Hit him and he's off his game (ask Brian Boyle about that),

Old
11-01-2012, 10:05 PM
bunjay

Quote:
I was responding to someone who said Kadri doesn't make contact. I don't see Karlsson delivering too many big hits either. Hit him and he's off his game (ask Brian Boyle about that),
You made an extremely poor comparison. Karlsson has a better PPG in the NHL as a defenseman (while leading his team to the playoffs) than Kadri has managed in the AHL as a forward. At the same age. End of discussion.

Old
11-03-2012, 08:52 AM
MLSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunjay View Post
You made an extremely poor comparison. Karlsson has a better PPG in the NHL as a defenseman (while leading his team to the playoffs) than Kadri has managed in the AHL as a forward. At the same age. End of discussion.
So nobody can elude checks like Gretzky since he is the GOAT? Don't see how anything other than how they stay away from contact is relevent.

Old
11-03-2012, 09:52 AM
Pilgore88

Quote:
Puzzling comparison to say the least. Lidstrom doesn't hit either.

Old
11-09-2012, 04:43 PM
Rob11

9 games played: 0 goals, 3 assists, and hes -3.

I'm losing all hope for this kid. I expected during the lock out that he might shine. From watching the live games on TV he's constantly turning the puck over and is hardly noticeable on the ice.

I'm still a fan of his but jeez..

Old
11-09-2012, 05:16 PM
Happy Fan
nifty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob11 View Post

I'm losing all hope for this kid. I expected during the lock out that he might shine. From watching the live games on TV he's constantly turning the puck over and is hardly noticeable on the ice.

First post... really?

Old
11-09-2012, 05:21 PM
vanRiemsdyk21

Face it people kadri is a bust! He'll never be anything!

Old
11-09-2012, 05:31 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulemin41 View Post
If we said that about frattin 3 years back, we wouldn't have him in our team atm.

Old
11-09-2012, 05:48 PM
vanRiemsdyk21

And what has Frattin done? That's not a very good argument.

Old
11-09-2012, 05:48 PM
LeafsMonster
MeowLeafs is awesome

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2012/...lies/?site=www

Interesting video on kadri.

Old
11-09-2012, 05:49 PM
Penalty Kill Icing*
Fire Carlyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob11 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulemin41 View Post
Yeap. I have lost hope on this guy. Unless he can significantly change things around this season (even in AHL). If he keeps this up, he might have to change his profession to "Retweet tweets about himself that are posted by his fans".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
If we said that about frattin 3 years back, we wouldn't have him in our team atm.
There is no guarantee that he will be as good as Frattin. And even then, Frattin isn't even a top 6 NHL forward on a weak NHL team. Kadri has had a very ordinary pro hockey career (except for those two years in junior hockey). There is no shame in calling him a bust. Many first round picks go that way.

Old
11-09-2012, 05:57 PM
vanRiemsdyk21

I don't get all the Frattin love? He has done nothing to solidify himself as an NHLer and he's a 25 year year old prospect. This is the problem with Leafs Nation they can't identify real talent and fell in love with marginal hockey players. Believe me I used to guilty of this too but I 've seen the error of my ways.

Old
11-09-2012, 06:28 PM
ponder

I wouldn't call Kadri a bust just yet, I still think he has it in him to become a solid NHLer, but his start to this season has been pretty disappointing. His development in general has also been a bit disappointing, the holes he had in his game when we drafted him are pretty much all still there now.

He has elite hands, but he's not good enough to do it all himself, Ovechkin style. He's still below average in terms of his ability to win physical battles and shake off defenders. He also lacks the elite speed to simply skate around defenders. Since he's not consistently skating around guys OR outmuscling them, defenders can often force him to the perimeter/non danger areas, and he doesn't have an elite shot to snipe from the perimeter either. This would all be fine if he made very quick decisions and passes, and took what the defence gives him, after all most NHLers are not dominant 1 on 1 players who can do it all themselves (for example, Kessel is the only Leaf I'd put in that category). Unfortunately Kadri doesn't consistently play "team" hockey, he doesn't consistently make the quick passes/decisions, instead he tries to force the issue like a superstar, which often ends with him overhandling the puck and skating himself into dead ends. He has all the tools to become a rich man's Clarke MacArthur, or even a Ribeiro or Hemsky, but he tries to play like an Ovechkin/Kovalchuk/Kessel type of player, and he's simply not good enough to play that game in the NHL.

On top of that, he's not a great offensive player without the puck, not a guy with a killer one timer, or great instincts for scoring those garbage goals in close. Defensively he has improved, but is still below average for an NHL forward. As talented as he is, he just doesn't bring enough to the table at the moment to justify an NHL spot, especially with his tendency to overhandle the puck.

I *DO* think we should continue to be patient with him, though. I think he compares most closely to a sort of mix between Mike Ribeiro and Clarke MacArthur, and both took their time making it to the NHL. Ribeiro didn't truly make the NHL until his 4th post draft seasons, and didn't make a significant NHL impact until his 6th post draft season. MacArthur didn't truly make the NHL until his 5th post draft season, and didn't make a significant NHL impact until his 8th post draft season. Kadri is entering his 4th post draft season, he could still improve on his weaknesses and make the next step. You get the feeling that if he could just become a bit more willing to make quick passes, a bit more selective about when to dangle/attack aggressively, a bit stronger on the puck, and a bit better at working without the puck, that he could be a very solid NHLer. However, I am starting to wonder whether or not he can actually make these improvements, because his progress has been so slow in the areas so far.

Last edited by ponder: 11-09-2012 at 06:35 PM.
Old
11-09-2012, 06:37 PM
Sam Slick*

I swore when we drafted him. I remember saying to the ole lady that the "leafs better not pick up this guy". Then it happened.

I said he was a dud last year, and I say he is a dud this year. The real bummer is the more we play him, the worse he looks. The more he plays, the more his value goes down.

Kadri is a nothing, he will always be a nothing. We have to let him go and live with the lost pick.

Watched nearly all the Marlies games and the kid has no heart....except when he has the puck....albeit a brief period. He tries to beat 2 or 3 guys anytime he touches the puck, then loses it. Then, he has a terrible backcheck to recover it. No desire, no heart, no commitment to get better.

He's DONE!

Closed Thread