HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Why is Girgensons playing wing?

Old
10-06-2012, 09:38 AM
HogtownSabresfan

vCash: 500
Why is Girgensons playing wing?

http://www.buffalonews.com/apps/pbcs...03/sabre-space

I don't care about winning at the AHL, I want this kid practicing to be a centre and that's it. This is our weakness and his strength.
I really think the problem with Buffalo is how it develops its own players and I put this on Ruff. Through pure circumstance, he put Ennis at centre -- even tried to move him back to wing after some success down the middle.
I'd like to know who is behind the logic for some of these moves like thinking Leino can play down the middle. Ott will be he next guy they mess with, I predict.

HogtownSabresfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 10:05 AM
Zman5778

Send a message via AIM to Zman5778 Send a message via MSN to Zman5778 Send a message via Yahoo to Zman5778
Girgensons answered your question himself:

Quote:
“I’ve played my whole life at center, but I think it’s easier to start with the wing in pro because you don’t have to do as much in the D-zone,” he said. “You just have to read the play. It’s a little bit easier adjustment for me playing the wing.”

In a year or two, he'll likely shift back to C. And if not, we've still got Grigorenko, Hodgson and Ennis.

Zman5778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 10:11 AM
HogtownSabresfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman5778 View Post
Girgensons answered your question himself:

In a year or two, he'll likely shift back to C. And if not, we've still got Grigorenko, Hodgson and Ennis.
That's the point, train him for the tougher position unless you feel he can't handle it. If you can't play centre in AHL, you can't it in the NHL for sure.

Last edited by HogtownSabresfan: 10-06-2012 at 11:54 AM.
Old
10-06-2012, 10:12 AM
sabrefan27

Well for starters, there's 4 centers who are better right now, older and more experienced.

sabrefan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 10:20 AM
Zman5778

Send a message via AIM to Zman5778 Send a message via MSN to Zman5778 Send a message via Yahoo to Zman5778
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogtownSabresfan View Post
That's the point, train him for the tougher position unless you feel he can't handle it. If you can play centre in AHL, you can't it in the NHL for sure.
It's not terribly uncommon for a 18 year old to play wing before transitioning to center.

Zman5778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 10:28 AM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Tyler Seguin played wing his rookie season before moving to center. He turned out OK.

It's a big jump in competition, nothing wrong with easing the transition before moving him to center. Especially for a guy who has played wing in the USHL at times and has a skillset that would allow him to play either wing or center pretty much just as well.

New Sabres Captain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 10:31 AM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrefan27 View Post
Well for starters, there's 4 centers who are better right now, older and more experienced.
Quote:
It's not terribly uncommon for a 18 year old to play wing before transitioning to center.
These are all good responses. I hope the OP let's it sink in. No need to be selfish and only accept what YOU want. There are usually good solid reasons why prospects are being developed the way they are.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 10:37 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

This is another reason why I wasn't 100% sold on him playing in the AHL this season.

I'd rather seeing him playing C in the NC$$ or the CHL than wing in the AHL.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 11:05 AM

Most young players start of as wingers before moving to center, Claude Giroux, Tyler Seguin, and Jamie Benn are all examples. Mind you Benn has mostly been a winger in Junior and Seguin is still playing wing but is a center and will he soon enough.

1972 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 11:22 AM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

I bet once (if) the lockout is over, he'll move to center as Hodgson is called back up.

New Sabres Captain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 11:34 AM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
It's simply the best place for him and the team right now. Jumping from the USHL to the AHL at his age is a pretty huge jump in both physicality and talent, especially in this particular AHL season. Playing wing makes the transition easier and it's also better for the team for the time being. He'll get his chance to move back at center but also his future may well be at wing if you look at the Sabres roster.

Rob Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 11:36 AM
jfb392

Hopefully he gets cut soon so we don't have this issue.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 11:53 AM
HogtownSabresfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
These are all good responses. I hope the OP let's it sink in. No need to be selfish and only accept what YOU want. There are usually good solid reasons why prospects are being developed the way they are.
I want a strong centre down the middle, that's all. Don't see that developing anywhere else on this team. Cody could be great but he's more finesse for sure. And Ennis is 5.9. Ott/Leino are not centres. Forget this year, three years from now tell what they have that can be powerful down the middle? Grigorenko. Maybe? Centres are so much more valuable than wingers. Sabres love to screw around with players. This team never does enough with its talent.
It's nice you have so much faith in the way Sabres develop prospects. I don't. Myers is withering, Vanek should be so much better, Stafford (don't need to say anything), Etc. I think Regier drafts/trades well and the coaching system doesn't get enough out of guys.

Last edited by HogtownSabresfan: 10-06-2012 at 11:58 AM.
Old
10-06-2012, 12:21 PM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Quote:
I want a strong centre down the middle, that's all. Don't see that developing anywhere else on this team. Cody could be great but he's more finesse for sure. And Ennis is 5.9. Ott/Leino are not centres. Forget this year, three years from now tell what they have that can be powerful down the middle? Grigorenko. Maybe? Centres are so much more valuable than wingers. Sabres love to screw around with players. This team never does enough with its talent.
It's nice you have so much faith in the way Sabres develop prospects. I don't. Myers is withering, Vanek should be so much better, Stafford (don't need to say anything), Etc. I think Regier drafts/trades well and the coaching system doesn't get enough out of guys.
I feel you but I do think it's too early to say for sure that Girgensons isn't the guy to move to wing out of all their centers. He has already shown he's equally effective at both positions. You could always make him a center defensively and winger offensively if paired with a guy like Ennis.

But the important thing here is that this current business has nothing to do with whether or not he'll be a center down the line. It is very common for centers to start out in the pros at wing, especially in these overloaded roster circumstances. He and the team are both being put in a position to succeed right now and if you want him to get good minutes (which is obviously more important), playing him at wing is the most likely way of achieving that as there are already good centers to take the big minutes and the minutes are easier to handle with limited responsibilities.

Old
10-06-2012, 01:14 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Boy, maybe I'm reading this wrong. Maybe someone else can correct me here. It sooo sounds like all the blame for underproduction or stunted development is 100% on the coaching staff and 0% on the player themselves.

Interesting.....

To be "the best" a player can be in an NHL environment, I view it as a 75% player responsibility, 25% coaching staff.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 01:19 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
Boy, maybe I'm reading this wrong. Maybe someone else can correct me here. It sooo sounds like all the blame for underproduction or stunted development is 100% on the coaching staff and 0% on the player themselves.

Interesting.....

To be "the best" a player can be in an NHL environment, I view it as a 75% player responsibility, 25% coaching staff.

Well, the player can't do much about management putting them in a league where they're buried on the depth chart and can't play their natural position..

Sounds like OP is arguing the same thing I was a few months ago.
Is the benefit of playing against older players in the AHL while having less responsibilities and playing out of position better for his development?
No, probably not IMO.
They may be older and stronger, but skill development is the biggest thing with him and it's not really going to be happening there.

Old
10-06-2012, 01:23 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
That's the point, train him for the tougher position unless you feel he can't handle it. If you can't play centre in AHL, you can't it in the NHL for sure.
Yeah... Uh, it's kind of a huge jump in level of competition from USHL to the AHL. Girgensons won't be hurt by being given the opportunity to learn the pro game at an easier position first. Once he gets that, then move him to center. It's not going to help him to throw him in over his head and wreck his confidence by asking him to do something he's not ready for (see: Adam, Luke centering a top NHL line), which is something putting him at center now could definitely do.

tsujimoto74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 01:29 PM
Superhero

With Girginsons at center he could make a Selke trophy candidate someday. He is like a Ryan Kesler type of player.

Since Grigorenko, Ennis, and Hodson are the Sabres top 3 centers, I think the Sabres want to use him at wing. I'm guessing that The Sabres will want to use his grit and defensive abilities to pair up with the offensively skilled Grigorenko and Armia. They may also want him on a line with Grigorenko because Grigorenko is Russian and Gerginsons is Latvian (basically Russian) for chemistry purposes.

You can also say that Ruff generally doesn't know what the best position for players are and that's why he does so much line juggling.

Superhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 02:09 PM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superhero View Post
With Girginsons at center he could make a Selke trophy candidate someday. He is like a Ryan Kesler type of player.

Since Grigorenko, Ennis, and Hodson are the Sabres top 3 centers, I think the Sabres want to use him at wing. I'm guessing that The Sabres will want to use his grit and defensive abilities to pair up with the offensively skilled Grigorenko and Armia. They may also want him on a line with Grigorenko because Grigorenko is Russian and Gerginsons is Latvian (basically Russian) for chemistry purposes.

You can also say that Ruff generally doesn't know what the best position for players are and that's why he does so much line juggling.
What.the.**** we are not Russian,not even ****ing close. dont compare latvians to russians.never.

BalticWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 02:12 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superhero View Post

Latvia and Russia aren't really that similar, so I don't know if there'd be any type of chemistry.
They're very different cultures and they speak different languages.

I proposed putting Foligno and Armia with a skilled center before the draft (I proposed Jankowski because I didn't think we'd ever get Grigorenko) and I still think it could work.
Foligno isn't the most skilled guy but he's really developed over the past two seasons and he has a great work ethic and would mesh well with finesse players.
I think him of him as a Scott Hartnell type; he has enough skill to keep up with the top-end guys and will dig for pucks, create space, and go to the net.
Makes a lot more sense than converting a player that's the type of center we've lacked for some time into a winger..

What I've always said about moving Girgensons to wing is that it's voluntarily devaluing him.
Develop him as a center with the intention of him being a center and that's it.
If he needs some time at wing in the NHL, that's fine, but playing wing at a lower level than that doesn't sit well with me.
I think he can be a fine center in the NHL and just like Kesler, he needs to be surrounded with playmakers, which is why I proposed moving Ennis back to wing and sticking him with Girgensons.
His shot is better than his playmaking skills, but I don't think the gap is extreme as Kesler who is extremely selfish for a center.
He played with a kid that's extremely similar to Ennis named Johnny Gaudreau during his rookie season in Dubuque and they were great together.

Old
10-06-2012, 03:42 PM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helo View Post
What.the.**** we are not Russian,not even ****ing close. dont compare latvians to russians.never.
Everyone in American and Britain seem to think of all former Soviet states and even satellite states as being 'Russian'. I hope people realize that the Soviet Union took over Latvia and the rest of the Eastern Bloc by force at the tail end of WW2 and for the most part the citizens of those countries were rabidly against it and brutally purged.

I wonder though, do you think Zemgus speaks Russian? Is it common for younger generations to still learn it? I feel like I talked about this with you before but I don't remember.

Old
10-06-2012, 03:58 PM
Dubi Doo

vCash: 2225
This is a common treatment for a young prospect. The reasons are listed above by Grigs himself. (Z man's post)

I wouldn't mind him as a winger, either. Time will tell if his success transfers to the pros.

Dubi Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 04:17 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
Everyone in American and Britain seem to think of all former Soviet states and even satellite states as being 'Russian'. I hope people realize that the Soviet Union took over Latvia and the rest of the Eastern Bloc by force at the tail end of WW2 and for the most part the citizens of those countries were rabidly against it and brutally purged.

I wonder though, do you think Zemgus speaks Russian? Is it common for younger generations to still learn it? I feel like I talked about this with you before but I don't remember.
I think I remember him saying that he didn't after being drafted, but I could be wrong.

Might have been when he was with Grigorenko and Alyonka Larionov.

Old
10-06-2012, 04:37 PM
brian_griffin
Measured Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helo View Post

For a Latvian, your English language is excellent!!!

I hope to someday visit Latvia, Estonia, Finland, Sweden, Norway.

brian_griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 06:00 PM
mgeise

I'd like to see him playing center as well, but with the group of centers that Rochester has I'm not surprised by this move at all. If and when the lockout ends this year and Hodgson comes up, I hope that Girgensons would make the transition at that point. It's even possible that Porter be up in the NHL (it will be Tropp, Scott, Ellis, Adam, Porter, and Mancari fighting for 2-3 spots depending on how many defensemen they keep).

I wouldn't be concerned about Girgensons not playing center just yet. He's an 18 year old playing in the AHL.

mgeise is offline   Reply With Quote