HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

OKC Barons @ Lake Erie Monsters 10/13 11:00AM MDT Barons Revenge Or Monster Mash 2?

Closed Thread

Old
10-12-2012, 09:07 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

vCash: 500
Hah! They lost?? Such is the life of an Oilers fan. Our supposedly stacked AHL team can't even win.

Old
10-12-2012, 09:10 PM
Philly85
Moody'

seriously though I hate to rag on the guy but the more and more I watch MPS play, the less I believe he can be a top 6 player in the NHL. too tentative, too one dimensional, soft. I know it's only one game but this has been carrying on for almost 2 years now. He looks like he's destined to be a checker/bottom 6er if he ever makes the NHL full time. It's a miracle he had the rookie season he did.

Old
10-12-2012, 09:12 PM
jebs

Eberle & Schultz were really good. Harski had a good 3rd period.

Magnus looks clueless. Few more games like that from him and Harski will be in for a promotion.

Old
10-12-2012, 09:12 PM
#ualberta

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
Justin Schultz was the best player on the ice.
I agree the kid looked great
Or should I say sounded great I only listened to the game on the radio

I am happy should had the game familiar voices I guess

Old
10-12-2012, 09:13 PM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
seriously the more and more I watch MPS play, the less I believe he can be a top 6 player in the NHL. too tentative, too one dimensional, soft. I know it's only one game but this has been carrying on for almost 2 years now. He looks like he's destined to be a checker/bottom 6er if he ever makes the NHL full time. It's a miracle he had the rookie season he did in the NHL.
Yup. Bodied off the puck all night long.
Passed up three or four opportunities to lay a hit himself.
Poor selection of passes in the o-zone may have been him feeling the pressure of playing with Eberle and RNH.
But cripes .... that was not a good game from the kid tonight.

Edit: Dan and jack must have been watching a different game cause they are showering MPS with praise on the post game show for the one time he did go to the net. Never mind that he basically left the puck behind.

Last edited by harpoon: 10-12-2012 at 09:18 PM.
Old
10-12-2012, 09:16 PM
Qrispy

To be fair, RNH didn't look that great either. He just hasn't been the same after injuring his shoulder. Even at the WC he was pretty lackluster.

It's only the first game, so I won't look too much into anyone's performance.

Old
10-12-2012, 09:25 PM
jebs

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakuBOT View Post
To be fair, RNH didn't look that great either. He just hasn't been the same after injuring his shoulder. Even at the WC he was pretty lackluster.

? Not sure what your expecting. Nuge has never been a dynamic guy. He just quietly puts up points.. and he did just that at the WC.

In saying that, he was pretty average tonight. And even still was much better than Magnus.

Old
10-12-2012, 09:38 PM
Lay Z Boy GM

Remember before we signed Schultz how everyone was pumping him up, then we signed him and everyones expectations changed? Schultz is looking like he was originally hyped up to be. He looks very good offensively, good outlet passes, great in the offensive zone, good with his stick.

Pajaarvi is doing the same crap from what I can see. Drive wide, then either fumble the puck or shoot the puck right at the goalie. He's a pretty good playmaker though in my opinion, I'd like to see him use his speed to draw dmen and then just look for a pass. He's not going to be scoring very many goals at all, so he should focus on being a complimentary player for our top guns. That's really the only way he makes it on the Oilers in the long run anyway, he has to compliment our actual talent.

Give that PP some time and it's going to be absolutely deadly. Can't wait to see the top line rack up some points...

Old
10-12-2012, 09:40 PM
Son of Krypton

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
No replays on AHL live make me a sad
Some games do have replays. Depends on where they're playing.
The ones in OKC have replays of the goals, at least.

Old
10-12-2012, 09:45 PM
worraps
Acceptance

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by YakuBOT View Post

Much like the comparison that must not be made he plays away from the puck a lot and seems to disappear for long stretches of the game ... that said, he and Eberle both looked a little rusty tonight.

Old
10-12-2012, 09:50 PM
Soundwave

I'm fine with RNH and Eberle not over-exerting themselves in the AHL.

This is for them to keep the rust off, not anything of major importance.

Glad to hear Schultz sounds like a keeper. This AHL seasoning is going to be a nice bonus for his development.

Old
10-12-2012, 10:12 PM
czar99

I know one thing for sure that ahl live is not worth the money they seriously need to up there game in quality if there going to ask for that kind of money. There is no excuse for that poor of quality of video at that level. I can afford the the money but I can't do it on principle alone. Highlights for me only.

Old
10-12-2012, 10:15 PM
Baronsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
I'm fine with RNH and Eberle not over-exerting themselves in the AHL.

This is for them to keep the rust off, not anything of major importance.

Glad to hear Schultz sounds like a keeper. This AHL seasoning is going to be a nice bonus for his development.
I thought their compete level was fine tonight, but your statement has me confused.

I am really excited to have RNH and Eberle in OKC. However, if they are not giving their best effort, or just phoning it in, I'd rather them go play in Europe somewhere.

I get it that this is not the NHL, but that shouldn't change your compete level imo. A lot of the younger prospects are watching RNH and Eberle closely trying to pick things up since they've been successful so far in their young NHL careers, so I'd rather not have them watch them two not "over-exerting themselves." I don't like the thoght of having 18 guys busting their butts for the team, and two players not doing the same. I would much rather watch Phil Cornet and Toni Rajala giving 110%, even if they aren't as skilled.

Old
10-12-2012, 10:27 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Eberle's a ppg game player in the show. Virtually nothing to prove here and his smartest play is staying healthy, avoiding bad situations and injury.

That said I thought he was the best player on the ice by a country mile.

You really won't get the best performances from the NHL'ers and you're kidding yourself if you think you will.

Last go round when Stoll and Torres were playing for the Roadrunners during the 2004 lockout Raffi Torres had something like only 15 goals in the AHL, He had more the year before in the NHL and then the following year knocked in 27 goals in the NHL.

For Eberle particularly, and Hall, who are both well established in the NHL its going to be hard to be enthused with this. I don't blame them.

RNH is interesting for a whole other reason and somehow I expect him to just struggle more at this level, not sure why, just a feeling that he might not have the same sharpness. Maybe some sophomore fatigue this year combined with the total letdown of no NHL hockey. Think about it, one year you're the #1 pick and its exhilarating all year then the next year you're playing Monsters in the AHL...Thats gotta be real deflating, sorry.

You'll probably get the best effort from Paajarvi and Harti who have something to prove.

Old
10-12-2012, 10:30 PM
Krigaren*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baronsfan View Post
I thought their compete level was fine tonight, but your statement has me confused.

I am really excited to have RNH and Eberle in OKC. However, if they are not giving their best effort, or just phoning it in, I'd rather them go play in Europe somewhere.

I get it that this is not the NHL, but that shouldn't change your compete level imo. A lot of the younger prospects are watching RNH and Eberle closely trying to pick things up since they've been successful so far in their young NHL careers, so I'd rather not have them watch them two not "over-exerting themselves." I don't like the thoght of having 18 guys busting their butts for the team, and two players not doing the same. I would much rather watch Phil Cornet and Toni Rajala giving 110%, even if they aren't as skilled.
I get what your saying, but i really disslike the bolt of to europe comment. Do you think it would be okey for them to play less than 100% in europe?

Other than that your completly right, on another completly unrelated note do you guys think Hall will go to okc or europe?
I think most people expect him to go to ahl but i really think he will head to europe..

Old
10-12-2012, 10:33 PM
oilers2k10
Yak Don't Back Down

vCash: 203
Is nobody gonna post a pic or link of that lake eerie cheerleader girls booty?!?
Cmon!

Old
10-12-2012, 10:34 PM
Philly85
Moody'

Quote:
Originally Posted by czar99 View Post
I know one thing for sure that ahl live is not worth the money they seriously need to up there game in quality if there going to ask for that kind of money. There is no excuse for that poor of quality of video at that level. I can afford the the money but I can't do it on principle alone. Highlights for me only.
agreed, quality is very poor. no replay, no player interviews, no nothing.

Old
Krigaren*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Eberle's a ppg game player in the show. Virtually nothing to prove here and his smartest play is staying healthy, avoiding bad situations and injury.

You really won't get the best performances from the NHL'ers and you're kidding yourself if you think you will.
I really hope your wrong on this. If thats the kind of "winning" attitude they have thats just plain wrong. If thats the kind of attitude thats okay in the oilers jersey (or its affiliates) we will never move out of the bottom. In my book it wouldnt mather if they play in okc or some goon league they should give it all to win because that is what this sport is all about.

Old
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krigaren View Post
I get what your saying, but i really disslike the bolt of to europe comment. Do you think it would be okey for them to play less than 100% in europe?

Other than that your completly right, on another completly unrelated note do you guys think Hall will go to okc or europe?
I think most people expect him to go to ahl but i really think he will head to europe..
Nah, he's a leader and team guy. He'll figure its his duty to play in OKC like the team would prefer and to be around RNH and Eberle. No way he's going anywhere else imo.

Old
10-12-2012, 10:40 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
I really hope your wrong on this. If thats the kind of "winning" attitude they have thats just plain wrong. If thats the kind of attitude thats okay in the oilers jersey (or its affiliates) we will never move out of the bottom. In my book it wouldnt mather if they play in okc or some goon league they should give it all to win because that is what this sport is all about.
AS long as the NHL players think that the league might be back on in weeks or a month or two you're going to see some pacing and not giving it everything.

When or if the NHL season gets cancelled you'll see the Oiler players giving it a better shot because theres no reason saving it and then they'll know that they better get sharp because it'll be along time before NHL hockey starts up again.

I just think right now with the limbo the players probably feel it would be a mixed blessing to expend too much effort when its not the Oilers.

Old
10-12-2012, 10:44 PM
Baronsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post

Last go round when Stoll and Torres were playing for the Roadrunners during the 2004 lockout Raffi Torres had something like only 15 goals in the AHL, He had more the year before in the NHL and then the following year knocked in 27 goals in the NHL.

For Eberle particularly, and Hall, who are both well established in the NHL its going to be hard to be enthused with this. I don't blame them.

RNH is interesting for a whole other reason and somehow I expect him to just struggle more at this level, not sure why, just a feeling that he might not have the same sharpness. Maybe some sophomore fatigue this year combined with the total letdown of no NHL hockey. Think about it, one year you're the #1 pick and its exhilarating all year then the next year you're playing Monsters in the AHL...Thats gotta be real deflating, sorry.

You'll probably get the best effort from Paajarvi and Harti who have something to prove.
You are most vulnerable to injury if you're out there playing tentative is what I've learned.

I'm not wanting these guys to go out there and play recklessly. I'm just saying that I would rather not watch them play at 70% which hasn't been a problem, yet.

They still have weaknesses in their game, and the AHL is a good enough league that they can address some of them, but for them to improve on that they will need to give their best effort I think. You know, the whole resistance builds muscle thought? These guys don't seem like the kind that will phone it in, as they have good attitudes. Nuge has said that he wants to improve his faceoffs, then he went on to say that this league isn't that much of a step down from the NHL. Which we know it's a step down, but not as much as some will think.

Old
10-12-2012, 10:47 PM
Baronsfan

Quote:

I wasn't referring to them giving less than 100% in Europe. I figured that it would be a little easier for them to give a little more effort in a league they get paid >$100,000.

Old
10-12-2012, 10:51 PM
Lacaar

MPS definately is lacking in certain areas.

It's like all the kindling is there but the match won't light.

Just seems to be brain dead in the offensive zone to me. Doesn't know how to pursue the puck or anticipate where it's going and his teammates are.

I'm hoping one day it just clicks and I see a completely different player. Whether it's confidence or learning or whatever.

Old
10-12-2012, 10:59 PM
Joseppi

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers2k10 View Post
Is nobody gonna post a pic or link of that lake eerie cheerleader girls booty?!?
Cmon!

Too bad the boys lost tonight. Good to hear about Schultz's performance and Eberle getting the rust off

Old
10-12-2012, 11:04 PM
Karsa Orlong
Knight of chains

It looked like everyone was trying way too hard tonight, which i kind of expected. Specifically, Nuge and Ebs, but once they get settled things will be fine. They still looked great, but it was mostly driven by solo efforts.

I thought Paajarvi could have been better, but not nearly as bad as some people have been suggesting. He was driving the play positively most times, 3 shots, and was great at gaining the zone. He did make a few poor mistakes, but I see no reason to jump on him so harshly after game 1.

Thought Marincin made quite a few poor decisions, but also had a few nice shots and plays. Felt the same way with Hamilton, many poor decisions, but also was good on the PK.

All in all i thought it looked like a typical first game of the season. Better luck in the morning! Yak is playing tomorrow too, should be fun.

Closed Thread