HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OKC Barons @ Lake Erie Monsters 10/13 11:00AM MDT Barons Revenge Or Monster Mash 2?

Closed Thread

Old
10-13-2012, 03:30 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post
A weak wrister into an empty net that a defenseman is able to slide in and stop.

He lacks the killer instinct.
He looked like a bonifide **** disturber when the Oilers called him up in March 2 years ago and he always drove the net hard. I wonder what neutered him...

Old
10-13-2012, 03:31 PM
IV XIV XCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
its literally the exact same thing with Paajarvi every time coming down the left wing. You know it's almost never going to result in a goal. Ever. Try something different bud.
he's still too timid and shy to take that one power stride into the defender while shielding the puck. As he does it, it makes it very easy for the goalie to save because the angle is so sharp and the backhander is so weak.

I'm getting tired of seeing it too. His coaches should make him to that move 100 times/day and get the biggest defender on the team to force him out of the middle until he finally starts to get it and lean in with his right shoulder.

Old
10-13-2012, 03:33 PM
molsonmuscle360

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
This is only the second time that I've seen him play after the opening game of the 2011 World Junior Championships. I don't recall him looking too sharp in that one but he was great today.
He played really well in Stockton last year. A couple of guys I know from an MMA forum live in Stockton and watch the team there quite a bit. They were all VERY dissapointed to be losing Roy this year. But I told them that Bunz isn't really anything to sneeze at either, he is a fairly solid project as well.

Roy is a solid positional goalie, he sees the game very well. Bunz is more of an athletic goalie who can make up for his mistakes with pure reaction time. The save Roy made at the end of the game there was nothing but reading the play, he reads that wrong it's in the net, but he saw the pass coming before it happened.

Old
10-13-2012, 03:33 PM
worraps
Acceptance

Quote:
Originally Posted by IV XIV XCI View Post
he's still too timid and shy to take that one power stride into the defender while shielding the puck. As he does it, it makes it very easy for the goalie to save because the angle is so sharp and the backhander is so weak.

I'm getting tired of seeing it too. His coaches should make him to that move 100 times/day and get the biggest defender on the team to force him out of the middle until he finally starts to get it and lean in with his right shoulder.
Coming from the left side it is hard for a left handed shot to score with that move unless he has an Eberle like back hand.

Playing him on the LW sets him up to fail on those cuts to the net. Unfortunately for him it's a significant part of his game and we are already stacked on the RW.

Old
10-13-2012, 03:37 PM
AK Dandyman

Very nice wrist shot by Schultz walking in from the point to just inside the top of the right faceoff circle beating the goalie low blocker for the game winner. He knows how to put himself in good scoring position and hit the hole to get open for his teammate at the right time in the offensive zone. And he can get there with quick acceleration and great lateral movement.

Schultz also defended a 3 on 1 perfectly in the 2nd period, gave the puck carrier shot and stayed high enough to cover the cross ice and the trailer. Monster's player ended up forcing the cross ice pass which was blocked by Schultz.

He can easily get 60-70pts if he plays the full season in the AHL with RNH & Eberle there.

Old
10-13-2012, 03:37 PM
jebs

Pitlick looks great. Really strong & quick. Marincin had a good game too.

Magnus was better than yesterday I thought.

Schultz was not as dominant offensively, but I liked his defensive game today. Saved a goal on Roys misplay & stopped a 3 on 1. Clutch goal.

Eberle & RNH were not great. No concerns there tho, they will figure it out.

Old
10-13-2012, 03:39 PM
GO99
HFBoards Sponsor

Schultz is the real deal. He is so good at opening lanes to shoot.

Old
10-13-2012, 03:55 PM
Bryanbryoil
The Oilers Best

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usual_Suspect View Post
BBO I'm beginning to be glad I didn't make that Martindale bet with you
I see a lot of untapped potential in him, here's to hoping that he develops into an NHL caliber player in time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teganandsara View Post
Yeah Paajarvi has been the player driving the first line so far this game. He seems to always want to defer to Nuge and Ebs rather than shoot himself though.
IMO it's a lack of confidence in his goalscoring abilities, that pass on the 2 on 1 early in the game should've been a labeled wrister with some serious zip on it. I really hope that the coaching staff gets on him to be more selfish in situations like that, it was almost reminiscent of the Paajarvi to Whitney pass when Whitney was banging his stick calling for the puck and it ended up costing us a game in OT IIRC last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeDrag83 View Post
Poor guy just wants to prove the chemistry exists because it seems like his shot at returning to the NHL lineup. But he has to focus on making the right hockey plays rather than getting it into his head that passing to Nuge and Ebs is the answer to some sort of chemistry. The former is what's going to earn him his spot back anyways.
Agreed and it's not as if RNH and Eberle are at the top of their games right now either, it's been an embarrassment to see them play as poorly as they have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMofOilers View Post
Coaching is a major problem so far. Hopefully he can figure out. 19 isn't a first liner in Sweden or the NHL so why would he be here? 7 isn't a point player! Harty should be on the first pp!

So much wrong. Like I said Nelson should figure it all out.
Harti has been on the top PP unit so what's his excuse? Is Paajarvi poisoning the top PP unit too? I bet in your eyes he's killing the top line, the PP, and the team, some objectivity would be nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by molsonmuscle360 View Post
Yeah he did. Our first line PP when healthy last year was Hall-Horcoff-RNH-Eberle-Potter.
On draws he probably lined up on the point, but once possession was gained we played an umbrella PP last season at least the top unit was an umbrella system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOilRising View Post
Dude, I'm no PRV fan, but he's been all over the ice.

LOL, we got saved there.

Did the AHL bring in replacement refs when we weren't looking?

Harti penalty? What the balls?
We all have our favorites/non favorites but objectivity is always nice to see and IMO it makes for better posters and people in general.

Quote:
Damn, nice shot by Schultz.

I'm willing to admit when I'm wrong, Schultz is looking quite good.
Yeah he is a keeper for sure, once I got to see him play I was sold on him. The only thing that I've said and IMO it still holds true is that he is not very physical. That said when you provide the level of skill, defensive positioning, skating, and stick work that he does you can be afforded that luxury. Pair him with a stay at home bruiser and you have one hell of an NHL defense pairing IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IV XIV XCI View Post

He seems to be taking it to the net more which IMO is already an improvement, if he had his linemates following up they might get to some rebound goals. That said I agree with you, and I'd hope that the coaching staff would do just that to improve that part of the game. Get him doing that, Hall working on breakaways, etc. and it would add a lot of positives to our club. Hall scoring on more breaks and Paajarvi scoring more and/or drawing more penalties would be nothing but positives for the Oilers in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK Dandyman View Post
Very nice wrist shot by Schultz walking in from the point to just inside the top of the right faceoff circle beating the goalie low blocker for the game winner. He knows how to put himself in good scoring position and hit the hole to get open for his teammate at the right time in the offensive zone. And he can get there with quick acceleration and great lateral movement.

Schultz also defended a 3 on 1 perfectly in the 2nd period, gave the puck carrier shot and stayed high enough to cover the cross ice and the trailer. Monster's player ended up forcing the cross ice pass which was blocked by Schultz.

He can easily get 60-70pts if he plays the full season in the AHL with RNH & Eberle there.
So what you're saying is that he'd score 100 points with guys that can actually do something offensively

10-13-2012, 03:57 PM
scid14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
This is only the second time that I've seen him play after the opening game of the 2011 World Junior Championships. I don't recall him looking too sharp in that one but he was great today.
He was great today, does need work on rebound control though, thats the biggest thing I noticed in his game. Just his puck control.

Old
10-13-2012, 03:59 PM
Bryanbryoil
The Oilers Best

At this point in time I'm wondering how good of an idea it was to not play RNH or Eberle a game in the preseason. They both seem rusty/unprepared, we had this BTB coming up with really no time to practice in between.

The other possibility is that they took the AHL too lightly and figured that it'd be a cake walk, either way it is very frustrating to look up and see both with 0's in the point column after 2 AHL games. They had better get their **** together and fast.

Old
10-13-2012, 04:05 PM
senorchang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
At this point in time I'm wondering how good of an idea it was to not play RNH or Eberle a game in the preseason. They both seem rusty/unprepared, we had this BTB coming up with really no time to practice in between.

The other possibility is that they took the AHL too lightly and figured that it'd be a cake walk, either way it is very frustrating to look up and see both with 0's in the point column after 2 AHL games. They had better get their **** together and fast.
especially with all your predictions.

Old
10-13-2012, 04:06 PM
worraps
Acceptance

Quote:

I think it's a combination of no pre-season games, their own arrogance, and harder than usual defensive pressure because of the targets on their back.

At the end of the day they will be better for having a humbling start to their AHL "careers." At some point they're going to have to get used to unsheltered minutes and opposition defenses keying on them, might as well get that out of the way during the lock-out.

Old
10-13-2012, 04:07 PM
okgooil

Quote:

I think it is more the lack of pre season games. Once in a while a star player will get hurt for a while, so they give him a game or two at the AHL level and they often look like crap. Bottom line, you need pre season games, there is a reason they are played. I think they are shaking of the rust, I expect they will be totally differnt players come next weeks games.

Old
10-13-2012, 04:08 PM
jebs

Nuge had a sweet hit tho

Old
10-13-2012, 04:09 PM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

I like what Pitlick brings to the game, something the Oilers top 6 is lacking. I'm also surprised with Davidson, was hearing that his skating wasn't the best, seems to OK with me, played a good game.

Magnus doubters are out in full force today I see, he wasn't great, but he wasn't bad either. Give the team a week or 2 before you start complaining.

Old
10-13-2012, 04:09 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Eberle knows what the AHL is all about. He's produced a PPG clip there before.

Old
10-13-2012, 04:12 PM
SDig14

It's like these kids play no hockey for months and everyone forgets what they can do?

After reading some of the comments in here I thought I migh need to call the hotline for some help for some of you...

Anyways, the kids are not in game shape, but they will figure it out. Eberle has had multiple stints in the AHL, I doubt he is taking the league lightly. That being said, the kid is coming off 30+ goals and 76 points as a sophmore all-star in the NHL, the kid didn't forget how to play overnight.

Give them a few games and they will get it together. It's not like they aren't generating chances, just look a little rusty right now.

Old
10-13-2012, 04:12 PM
ThePresent83

I dont want to sound too over-confident... because i consider myself more of a realist... but honestly, its Eberle and RNH. The rust will come off quickly. This guys are high end NHLers. They'll be fine.

Old
10-13-2012, 04:13 PM
April Ethereal
Eternal rains...

Quote:
Yeah he is a keeper for sure, once I got to see him play I was sold on him. The only thing that I've said and IMO it still holds true is that he is not very physical. That said when you provide the level of skill, defensive positioning, skating, and stick work that he does you can be afforded that luxury. Pair him with a stay at home bruiser and you have one hell of an NHL defense pairing IMO.
Agreed. Lidstrom was not very physical, but his skill made up for that, which is what I see in Schultz. Note, I'm not comparing him to Lidstrom, that's an impossible bill, just saying it's a similar premise.

Old
10-13-2012, 04:20 PM
Bryanbryoil
The Oilers Best

Quote:
Originally Posted by senorchang View Post
especially with all your predictions.
Needless to say I expected to see them ready to kick ass and take names later, not to mention they've been joined at the hip so it's even more puzzling.

Old
10-13-2012, 04:21 PM
BoldNewLettuce
Esquire

havnt these guys been so-so when they aren't playing with Hallsy....I know that is a pretty general statement....and likely meaningless....

but Hall always seems to be able to push the defenders back no matter how tightly they try to play "the guns"....not so for Magnus...he can drive wide....but that didn't seem to work in THIS game...

conclusion; Hall>Magnus

Old
10-13-2012, 04:23 PM
Bryanbryoil
The Oilers Best

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDig14 View Post
It's like these kids play no hockey for months and everyone forgets what they can do?

After reading some of the comments in here I thought I migh need to call the hotline for some help for some of you...

Anyways, the kids are not in game shape, but they will figure it out. Eberle has had multiple stints in the AHL, I doubt he is taking the league lightly. That being said, the kid is coming off 30+ goals and 76 points as a sophmore all-star in the NHL, the kid didn't forget how to play overnight.

Give them a few games and they will get it together. It's not like they aren't generating chances, just look a little rusty right now.
I would hope and think that Nelson will have them in game shape come next weekend. He cannot be overly pleased with this weekend IMO.

Quote:
Agreed. Lidstrom was not very physical, but his skill made up for that, which is what I see in Schultz. Note, I'm not comparing him to Lidstrom, that's an impossible bill, just saying it's a similar premise.
Yeah Lidstrom is Lidstrom, but it shows that if you have a good enough toolbox you can get away with not being a big hitter, etc.

Old
10-13-2012, 04:26 PM
Bryanbryoil
The Oilers Best

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldNewLettuce View Post
havnt these guys been so-so when they aren't playing with Hallsy....I know that is a pretty general statement....and likely meaningless....

but Hall always seems to be able to push the defenders back no matter how tightly they try to play "the guns"....not so for Magnus...he can drive wide....but that didn't seem to work in THIS game...

conclusion; Hall>Magnus
That is rather obvious, however if you believe that the whole reason that they aren't producing is because of no Hall that means that we are in trouble as the big 4 might be the big 2 (Hall and Nail). Personally I don't buy it, neither guy is playing at their best right now, it's gut check time for them, I'd bet on them coming back strong after a good week of spirited practices.

Old
10-13-2012, 05:01 PM
Arpeggio

Everyone has to relax concerning RNH and Eberle. We know what they can do, we saw it all last year. Anyone who was expecting them to come into the AHL and put up three points a game immediately just had unrealistic expectations. Besides that, they both were part of numerous scoring chances in the first two games, and could've easily left with at least a couple points each, despite obviously not being at their best.

If anything less than 160 points over the season is disappointing for you, prepare to be disappointed.

Old
10-13-2012, 05:15 PM
Free*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldNewLettuce View Post
conclusion; Hall>Magnus
Very astute.

Closed Thread