HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

cartilage damage

Old
10-12-2012, 03:11 PM
frostyflo
#peskyblues

vCash: 500
cartilage damage

hey guys!

my english is usually good enough to talk to english-speaking persons and to comment on hockey-forums, not good enough for medicine conversations so I hope you`ll get me

here`s my story:
last summer my knee began to hurt while I began to shape up for the new season. I played the whole season, I just had to, my knee hurted more and more.
in spring I did an MRI and they diagnosed a grade 2 cartilage damage with a crack in it.
now, after a long frustrating summer with a lot of things I tried I`m back on the ice, feels ok so far

my question:
has anyone of you, your team-mates, friends, players etc a
cartilage damage and how do/did you/they deal with it?

frostyflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2012, 05:38 PM
Fanned On It

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostyflo View Post
hey guys!

my english is usually good enough to talk to english-speaking persons and to comment on hockey-forums, not good enough for medicine conversations so I hope you`ll get me

here`s my story:
last summer my knee began to hurt while I began to shape up for the new season. I played the whole season, I just had to, my knee hurted more and more.
in spring I did an MRI and they diagnosed a grade 2 cartilage damage with a crack in it.
now, after a long frustrating summer with a lot of things I tried I`m back on the ice, feels ok so far

my question:
has anyone of you, your team-mates, friends, players etc a
cartilage damage and how do/did you/they deal with it?
What did your knee-pain feel like? My knees have been hurting on and off and I'm not sure whether it's from hockey or not, but I'm just sort of pushing through it and playing (as it doesn't hurt when I play... it's usually the day after that they hurt).

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2012, 07:05 PM
Heat McManus

I'm missing about 30ish% of the cartilage from both knee caps and some more from my meniscus. I also work on my feet so they're pretty much always in pain.

What I do now:
When I skate I use a brace on each knee (http://bungapads.com/bunga-knee-brac...e-support.html) They're getting old and I think I need to upgrade.
Advil for pain. (I've tried glucosamine but it never did much for me.)
Went from 1/2" hollow to 5/8". The shallower hollow allowed for less chance of me catching an edge and something tweaking. For me, if something is going to give it's going to be in my knee.

I'm on the ice 1-2x per week. I try and take it easy as I'm not making a living from playing and I don't want to lose any more cartilage.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote