HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Assassin's Creed Unity

Old
03-21-2014, 02:25 PM
chasespace

vCash: 500
Assassin's Creed Unity

AC: Unity was revealed today. Supposedly it's next-gen ONLY. Will be set in France, looks like it will use the French Revolution as a backdrop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQng7EkJHOI

Question for Sined(if he can answer): Do you know if Unity is using the Snowdrop engine or an updated version of AnvilNext?

chasespace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2014, 02:27 PM
The Reaper
Men of Mayhem

There is also a AC game coming for last gen consoles too called Comet

The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2014, 02:47 PM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

I doubt Sined would be allowed to answer anything so soon

We know plenty about Watch_Dogs and even on that he's been tight-lipped (as he should be)

Do Make Say Think is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2014, 02:52 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

I though a French Revolution game would have been AC4 after it was hinted that Connor was in Paris during the French Revolution in AC3. Not surprised at all this is the location.

The last gen version will likely just be a dumbed down version with the same background but a different setting ike Liberation was for AC3.

Faidh ar Rud Eigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2014, 03:15 PM
ThePSEGPowerPoster
LOSER POINTS!

Guess the leak I posted was correct.

Glad! Exciting!

ThePSEGPowerPoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2014, 03:55 PM
chasespace

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Viper View Post
There is also a AC game coming for last gen consoles too called Comet
When more come out about Comet I'll update the title and OP.

chasespace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2014, 05:03 PM
Stephenson2*
King of Castle

Looks fun. Can't wait to see what Comet is...hopefully Egypt!

Stephenson2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2014, 05:11 PM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

We had heard about an industrial revolution setting not to long ago so I'm assuming Comet is that one since the french revolution is prior to the industrial revolution

Old
03-21-2014, 07:49 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Do Make Say Think View Post
I doubt Sined would be allowed to answer anything so soon

We know plenty about Watch_Dogs and even on that he's been tight-lipped (as he should be)
Basically This

I'm surprised none of you guys have called into question whether I actually work at Ubi Montreal

Sined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2014, 11:46 PM
Sovereign
sic parvis magna

I hope the new protagonist is a female.

Sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2014, 01:46 AM
Oscar Acosta
I'm So Fancy

As always the video looks amazing, the game itself will look nothing like it.

I like the Paris locale, but in a 1912 style setting. I've already been able to run around and scale a city and countryside all the way to Germany in the most underrated game ever: The Saboteur. Plus we got to run up the Eiffel Tower.

How this series is ignoring Greece is beyond me.

Oscar Acosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2014, 09:42 AM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar Acosta View Post
As always the video looks amazing, the game itself will look nothing like it.

I like the Paris locale, but in a 1912 style setting. I've already been able to run around and scale a city and countryside all the way to Germany in the most underrated game ever: The Saboteur. Plus we got to run up the Eiffel Tower.

How this series is ignoring Greece is beyond me.
Great suggestion. Greece would be awesome. Plato, Aristotle, Socrates, the architecture.

03-22-2014, 11:59 AM
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns

Quote:
We had heard about an industrial revolution setting not to long ago so I'm assuming Comet is that one since the french revolution is prior to the industrial revolution
the French revolution takes place in the early years of the industrial revolution.

WarriorOfGandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2014, 12:17 PM
Michael Gary Scott
Toronto Maple Tron's

Couldve gone another year or two without an AC game. Just to try to keep it fresh.. Oh well

Michael Gary Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2014, 12:23 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni View Post
Great suggestion. Greece would be awesome. Plato, Aristotle, Socrates, the architecture.
Problem is there's not enough tall buildings, and Greek history with historically accurate people is quite uninteresting. Greek Philosophy may focus on the era around Plato but important Greek history starts before then. You could make a game out of it but I'm struggling to think of real ideas.

They've still got quite a few settings left at least. Aztecs circa Spanish invasion, 19th century Britain, Ancient Egypt, Revolutionary Russia, 30 Years War, Roman Empire.

A place I'd like to see but they probably won't do is 19th century Japan around the Boshin War. It's not Feudal Japan so you aren't following a cliché, but you still have Samurai armour, Bushido, and a picturesque environment, all under the backdrop of a modern setting with revolvers, trains, gatling guns and closer to modern artillery.

Quote:
They won't waste a 19th century London setting on a spinoff last-gen game. Comet will also be French Revolution most likely.

Old
03-22-2014, 12:47 PM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

We had thread either here, NeoGAF or ****** that claimed to have inside information about a game based in London during the industrial revolution though

I'm not sure "waste" is appropriate, I played ACIV on Xbox 360 and it was fine. Yeah the draw distance wasn't the greatest but the game looked good and, more importantly, ran smoothly (unlike III)

Old
03-22-2014, 12:59 PM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
Problem is there's not enough tall buildings, and Greek history with historically accurate people is quite uninteresting. Greek Philosophy may focus on the era around Plato but important Greek history starts before then. You could make a game out of it but I'm struggling to think of real ideas.

They've still got quite a few settings left at least. Aztecs circa Spanish invasion, 19th century Britain, Ancient Egypt, Revolutionary Russia, 30 Years War, Roman Empire.

A place I'd like to see but they probably won't do is 19th century Japan around the Boshin War. It's not Feudal Japan so you aren't following a cliché, but you still have Samurai armour, Bushido, and a picturesque environment, all under the backdrop of a modern setting with revolvers, trains, gatling guns and closer to modern artillery.

They won't waste a 19th century London setting on a spinoff last-gen game. Comet will also be French Revolution most likely.
Japan or Egypt would be very cool. With regards to Greece, would cool if they incorporated the museum at Alexandria.

Jabroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 03:57 AM
Oscar Acosta
I'm So Fancy

Quote:

Well lets be honest, ancient Consantipole/Istanbul didn't have many high climbing points either, or in ACIII climbing buildings in Boston or New York around 1800 weren't all that high. Hell in ACIV you asically climb trees to sync an area, I don't think it's a hold back to the series.

Industrial Revolution England, Ancient Greece, Jeruselum around Jesus time, Feudal Japan, Russian Revolution and meeting Rasputin, Tolstoy, Dostoyevsky etc, would be awesome. 1940s Berlin, 2001 New York City leading up to 9/11. The Egypt days of pyramids and the Sphinx. They have a lot to work with for future games.

Paris just seems too easy right now in the series.

Old
03-23-2014, 05:40 AM
JetsAlternate

JetsAlternate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 09:09 AM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar Acosta View Post
Well lets be honest, ancient Consantipole/Istanbul didn't have many high climbing points either, or in ACIII climbing buildings in Boston or New York around 1800 weren't all that high. Hell in ACIV you asically climb trees to sync an area, I don't think it's a hold back to the series.

Industrial Revolution England, Ancient Greece, Jeruselum around Jesus time, Feudal Japan, Russian Revolution and meeting Rasputin, Tolstoy, Dostoyevsky etc, would be awesome. 1940s Berlin, 2001 New York City leading up to 9/11. The Egypt days of pyramids and the Sphinx. They have a lot to work with for future games.

Paris just seems too easy right now in the series.
Constantinople was one of the largest cities in the world when Ezio went there, with a very interesting time period. Easier to make it work then Greece where you would have to make up a story or set it during these semi-mythical period.

Same reasoning behind AC3 and 4. Philadelphia was supposed to be another city in AC3 but was cut (When the city was made) because it "wasn't fun to move around in". Greece might have that same problem.

Old
03-23-2014, 05:23 PM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

Greece is too far removed for it to have mass appeal

Remember, these are AAA games so need to sell a **** ton of them

Anything that isn't a homerun in terms of mass appeal as far as setting goes isn't likely

Old
03-25-2014, 08:28 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

i've said since 3 that the French Revolution would be perfect. I'm pretty excited for it.

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 04:25 AM
Oscar Acosta
I'm So Fancy

Quote:
Constantinople was one of the largest cities in the world when Ezio went there, with a very interesting time period. Easier to make it work then Greece where you would have to make up a story or set it during these semi-mythical period.

Same reasoning behind AC3 and 4. Philadelphia was supposed to be another city in AC3 but was cut (When the city was made) because it "wasn't fun to move around in". Greece might have that same problem.
How so?

Let's be honest, 95% of the people who bought the game don't know that Constantipole is Istanbul. And if they do, maybe 12% of them care. The whole Turkish Ottoman Empire isn't a game seller.

Greece/Troy into Constantipole isn't a more interesting story? It may explain why the Apple was buried there in the first place.

The story hasn't been their first priority anyway. You can tell in ACIII when you're in NY and it barely works, it was a half assed toss in.

We're led to believe it all began with AC1, and it's pushed in AC Brotherhood, but never again. Yet Ezio is digging around as an old man in Turkey for no reason. Story writes itself for the first assassins in Greece. If there was **** to climb in 1000BC, there's stuff to climb in Greece.

Meeting Plato, Aristotle, etc would be sick.

Old
03-26-2014, 04:30 AM
Oscar Acosta
I'm So Fancy

Quote:
Greece is too far removed for it to have mass appeal

Remember, these are AAA games so need to sell a **** ton of them

Anything that isn't a homerun in terms of mass appeal as far as setting goes isn't likely
Exactly!

It's not too far removed - AC Brotherhood was in Constantipole Turkey/ Troy. Why was Ezio digging around there? The story was already there, and already buried.

AAA title to be the first in ancient Greece? Ever? You got to be kidding me if you don't think that alone doesn't sell. The Louvre is more interesting to climb in the 5th game to have it? Or the first to climb the Acropolis - and finally make sense of the "Gods" the series has been alluding to that all look like Greek Gods?

The last civilization all look like people in togas. The first Assassins start in Athens. I could write the entire link for you from Athens to Ezio to Edward to Connor to give me John Kerry within a week.

Old
03-26-2014, 12:59 PM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

I play Magic The Gathering and the current block uses greek mythology and people really don't care; this is especially clear when you compare it to the 2011 release that was based on horror/zombies people went crazy for that

I don't think Ancient Greece has mass appeal at all

I happen to agree that it would be a great setting but you and I would be in the minority. Also, as someone has already said, the architecture doesn't really lend itself all that well to the gameplay outside of a few cool landmarks: the towns would be pretty boring.

Also the "gods" are aliens, we don't need more exposition on their origin: we need to know more about Juno's plans and about this person that gets reincarnated throughout history