HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Lets hate mmos. They are all the same

Old
10-07-2015, 05:01 AM
Everlasting

vCash: 500
Lets hate mmos. They are all the same

Video games are in a golden age. It has never been so popular as it is today. Never been more diverse, or better. Except mmos. A genre which for some reason, the game developers doesnt feel need love. A genre who developers actively work to kill by releasing games that lack innovation.

MMOs suck. Like 95% of all mmos since wow has been a blatant copy of it. Its not wows fault, but rather every game that has been done since it. Basically, you end up doing the same thing in all games, beacause all games have the same features and core mechanics. They just look different and have a different name.

You do quests like fetch x and bring it yo y. Kill x. Level up to a cap. Collect armor, whos sole purpose is just to have diffrent stats. Same UI and the same rewinded mechanics whos sole purpose is do the exact same thing, in a different way. You do raid. If you have done a raid in one game, you have done a raid in all mmos. Get better gear, do raid.

LOTRO? ESO? TERA? FFXIV? TERA? GW2? The EXACT same games. Seriously, there is nothing substantial that seperates them. Different lores, different mobs, different mounts, different bosses. Different battle-mechanics and maybe slightly different quests. But it is the exact same way of playing. The exact same core. I am playing the same game but with differents textures. If you play level 1 - 20 in all of them, you are doing the same **** over and over and over again.

What happend with the game developers who decided that mmo is this one thing just that. That mmo cannot be a different experience. That all MMO should be the same. That a consumer should have to play the same game over and over?

There exist one mmo that i have excited for, and that is Tree of saviour. A successor to RO.

Is mmo done as a genre? Will it become more popular again? What has happend?

Everlasting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2015, 07:09 AM
G F O P

Nah it's not but wow is pretty much the only one. I got bored of wow though

G F O P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2015, 07:35 AM
sabresfan129103
So it begins...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Emrick View Post
I got a free trail to WoW a few months back. They got me hooked enough to play for a couple of months. I'm already super bored and cancelled few days ago. I got to see all the old raid content I never saw (which was basically the only reason I came back). I don't think I'd ever go back now.

sabresfan129103 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2015, 07:56 AM
Everlasting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Emrick View Post
They ARE the same. Down to the core. You do the exact same stuff in all them. Same experience, diffrent textures.

Old
10-07-2015, 09:13 AM
karnige
Real Life FTL

its a genre like other games out there. all fps are the same, sports, etc. so MMOs aren't your think just like fps aren't mine. MMOs are still very popular. its f2p now but they still rake in good cash.

karnige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2015, 09:18 AM
chasespace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlasting View Post
They ARE the same. Down to the core. You do the exact same stuff in all them. Same experience, diffrent textures.
The main draw of an MMO, for me at least, is being part of a guild that you make some great friends in and to conquer the game's hardest challenges(raids) together

chasespace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2015, 09:27 AM
Blueline Bomber
From the Blueline

Quote:
Doesn't that apply to all genres of games?

All FPS are the same, since you do the exact same thing in them. Sure, there may be slight differences, or they may be dressed up a little differently (in space, during war, wild west, etc), but they're all essentially "Point and shoot until you reach the end of the mission."

All RTS are the same, since you do the exact same thing in them. They all come down to collecting resources faster than your opponent. Once you collect enough resources, you attack your opponent and hope they didn't collect more resources than you. Again, the aesthetics may be slightly different, but if you played one RTS game, you've played them all.

Etc, etc, etc.

Blueline Bomber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2015, 09:30 AM
NyQuil
Neon NyQuil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber View Post
There are some games out there that are hard to slot into a genre.

But I think these are big risks for developers and that's why there are so few of them.

Development costs are so high that it's easier to follow a formula.

It's rather similar to the film industry.

I'd argue that a real golden age in gaming was the 1980s to early 1990s, when you had the Commodore 64, Amigas, Apple IIEs and early PCs.

An individual or small team could develop a surprisingly fun and challenging game, and because you didn't require a team of 400, they could afford to take risks.

I think games are far less diverse than they were back then. Genres didn't even really exist at the time. (Shooter? FPS?)

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2015, 09:36 AM
Frankie Spankie

Call me cynical but I definitely don't think this is gaming's golden age. It was much better in the late 90s/early 2000s IMO.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2015, 09:45 AM
Curtinho
Spero Meliora

I think you're being overly general. WoW vs. Guild Wars 2 vs. City of Heroes for example are all vastly different experiences -- if the quest mechanics bother you it's not the games that have an issue it's that you don't enjoy the genre. If you want to break the game down in that sense every genre is the same at its core. RPGs all have levels, items, battle systems, recruitable characters, etc. Tactics games all follow a similar blueprint for level design, stage progression, etc. FPS games all have the same basic core...shoot things, MOBAs are all the same, etc. etc.

Different textures, game mechanics, stories and journeys define the differences in experience from genre to genre. Every game within a specific genre will be the same at its core...which is why they fit into that specific genre.

Curtinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2015, 04:13 PM
Everlasting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber View Post
No. No. Heeeeelll nooo. Not even close. Final Fantasy X is NOT the same game as Skyrim, Midnight club 2 is NOT the same as Forza 5. Fifa is NOT the same game as NHL. Battlefield 4 is not the same game as Half Life 2. It doesnt apply to any genre i can think of at the moment.

The same way Tibia is not the even close to being the same game as LOTRO. They are vastly different in mechanics and pretty much everything. They only share the fact that they are mmos. You kill monsters and level up.

Old
10-07-2015, 04:29 PM
XX
Tippett 2 the Limit

Quote:

Is mmo done as a genre? Will it become more popular again? What has happend?
WoW happened. No MMO could get greenlit unless they either copied WoW entirely or had a very similar setup. Only EVE really exists as its own special thing. Everything else tries to be WoW.

It was so astronomically successful that the creatively bankrupt figured it was the only way to make an MMO, and in doing so killed the genre.

XX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2015, 04:37 PM
Commander Clueless
Fear the Leaf

In general, yeah..I agree.

I did enjoy TOR because it actually had one of those whatcha call'ems...story.

I also enjoyed STO for a time because starships. Reroute all available power to space bar.

I give GW2 credit for it's lack of a subscription and constant updates regardless, but it is pretty similar to the tried and true formula that is WoW.

Commander Clueless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2015, 04:38 PM
Do Make Say Think
& Yet & Yet

vCash: 50
Not quite sure I'd say we are in golden age

I think we left the golden age around 2008-2009

Things are generally still very good however but certain trends are worrying

As far as MMO go: I don't really care, I hate playing online unless it's with people I know and then I'd rather a LAN party (because I'm sort of getting older!)

Do Make Say Think is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2015, 04:40 PM
Commander Clueless
Fear the Leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Do Make Say Think View Post
Not quite sure I'd say we are in golden age

I think we left the golden age around 2008-2009

Things are generally still very good however but certain trends are worrying
It's certainly the golden age of HD remasters, DLC, terrible pixel-art 2D platformers and pre-order incentives.

Commander Clueless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2015, 04:43 PM
Ando
Keyboard Warrior

I play Guild Wars 2, mostly because of PvP and World vs. World aspect. It's fun poking at big enemy zergs with 5 or less.

As for the golden age of gaming, I can't really say that we are at one right now but I like where PC gaming is, aside from terrible optimization we sometimes get it's mostly good.

Ando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2015, 04:44 PM
Do Make Say Think
& Yet & Yet

As far as indie gaming goes we certainly are in a golden age: so many great cheap games to play

Do Make Say Think is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2015, 05:52 PM
NyQuil
Neon NyQuil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Do Make Say Think View Post
As far as indie gaming goes we certainly are in a golden age: so many great cheap games to play
Steam (and the like) is a very impressive achievement.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2015, 06:04 PM
FLYLine27
BUCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Spankie View Post
Call me cynical but I definitely don't think this is gaming's golden age. It was much better in the late 90s/early 2000s IMO.
Absolutely, that was definitely the gaming's golden age. This decade doesn't even come close.

FLYLine27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2015, 06:08 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Ground Beef Invictus

Yes, we must hate on MMOs. It is time. Two exceptions though: MMOs set in space are to be loved, they are awesome. MMOs where you can hit things with swords are also to be loved because they're awesome too.

Everything else can and should be hated.

10-07-2015, 06:10 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator

Guild Wars 1 was pretty cool. Only MMO I ever played.

SniperHF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2015, 07:59 PM
guinness
swedish milkmaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by karnige View Post
its a genre like other games out there. all fps are the same, sports, etc. so MMOs aren't your think just like fps aren't mine. MMOs are still very popular. its f2p now but they still rake in good cash.
Pretty much this, it would sort of ruin all the fun if I distilled most of my games down to a couple points, because at the core, they're all basically the same, only the story and textures are different.

My golden age of gaming is when I had my NES and Genesis in the late 80s, early 90s, since the games and concepts were still fresh. Ever since then, improved media and graphics, but the core goals are the same (rescue someone, defeat something, beat another team, grind and gain XP, etc).

guinness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2015, 10:49 PM
Devourers

I doubt another mmo will ever attain WoW at its peek ever again. I do think a new MMO can eventually reach or exceed current level WoW tho. It will probably be another game by Blizzard if it does happen.

Devourers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2015, 12:05 AM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by karnige View Post
All FPS are multiplayer team matches with vehicles?

RandV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2015, 09:13 PM
Tips Fedorov

Quote:
No. No. Heeeeelll nooo. Not even close. Final Fantasy X is NOT the same game as Skyrim, Midnight club 2 is NOT the same as Forza 5. Fifa is NOT the same game as NHL. Battlefield 4 is not the same game as Half Life 2. It doesnt apply to any genre i can think of at the moment.
All of those games can be over-simplified to make them sound like the same game and then have all the differences ignored, the same way you did to MMOs.

Battlefield 4 and HL2? You walk around shooting things with a gun, literally the same exact game.

Fifa vs NHL? You put a small object in a net, I can't see any difference.

Tips Fedorov is offline   Reply With Quote