HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

The last few games you beat and rate them II

Old
01-24-2014, 09:08 PM
Oscar Acosta

vCash: 1083
Spongebob Squarepants (PS3)

Ok, disclaimer - I have a 4 year old stepson and a 1 year old son, so if I play a game like Toy Story or Spongebob they will leave me alone for 5 minutes at a time as if I put a movie on the TV for them.

That said, this game is terrible. I know it's made for kids but it's so insanely repetitive. Literally the entire game is doing the same thing over and over. Kids these days aren't that stupid to just see a character and want to smash Square over and over for 8 hours. There is literally one story line with one video at the start of the game, which kids might like to see cartoons of what they're playing occasionally. Summed up: Some guy stole something and it's up to you to find it first and have 3 boss battles with him along the way.

2/10 (For the fact it surprisingly has no glitches or control issues)

The Walking Dead (PS Vita Version)

Exact same game I played on PS3, I wanted to replay it before getting into Season 2, so having it at 5 bucks on PS Vita seemed a good way to go about it and earn another Platinum trophy in the process. I wanted to do everything the exact opposite of last time but it's such an engaging story I just couldn't pull it off. A couple things worked out differently, managed to get Kenny fully on my side this time - even though I'm pissed he wasn't the last time.

Still a great game, has a lot of stutters on the Vita which at times can be frustrating, but I actually found all the combat parts a lot easier with it.

Telltale Game: 10/10
Video Game: 8.5/10

The Walking Dead Season Two, Episode One (PS3)

I like the changes made to the searching around and using the R1 instead of a face button, makes things a lot easier to interact with. Story got me early as usual, but it slowed down quite a bit and I basically hate everyone you meet.

Telltale Game: 7.5/10

Oscar Acosta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2014, 09:21 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

vCash: 500
The Banner Saga: 8/10

Really good game for a kickstarter/indie game.

Done by a few ex bioware guys (and a Nasa engineer?) the style is roto-scope animation which is quite beautiful and reminds me of a lot of animated 80's movies.

The game is a story of a fantasy viking'ish world where there are humans and giant people called 'varl' who are dealing with these scary zombie kinda things from the north called 'dredge,' similar to Game of Thrones but more viking like.

There is a LOT of text conversations and there are many choices you get to make that determine how events unfold... kind of similar to a telltale game. Quite often in one run i'd have 5-6 people die that wouldn't in a different run.

The rest of the game is a mix of the old classic 'Oregon Trail' where you have to kind of keep an eye on your caravan's supplies AND a turn-based combat system usually with 4-6 of your characters vs 5-10 of the enemies. The are progression systems for each character and different special fighting abilities.

The only real gripe I had was that I felt the game could have been longer (even though it's a solid 10 hours... it just kind of ends with a bunch of things left unresolved) and that the systems could have been a little deeper.

Really good game though. Highly recommend.

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2014, 04:31 PM
Bocephus86

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipNash27 View Post
I think ME3 ending could have been better if you fought Harbinger as Shepard. Your readiness rating determined how difficult the battle was. The better the rating the less enemies you would have to fight as part of this battle. In the end, once you defeat Harbinger, the reapers stop fighting and suddenly Shepard is put into a trance where the second in command of the Reapers speaks to him through his mind. He tells him the purpose of the Reapers and all this other stuff. Also, as part of it their leader is chosen in this way, where a mortal fights against their leader and if victorious is chosen to be the next and granted the immortality of being a reaper. This hasn't happened for many cycles. He tells him how worthy he is to be one of them among other things. So then he gets a choice,
1. Become the new Harbinger of the Reapers to use for his own personal means.
2. Become the new Harbinger of the Reapers to use for the peace of galaxy.
3. Send the reapers away for another 10K years and they may come back more powerful than before. The Reapers instead will choose another to be their leader.

In #1 and #2, Shepard's body dies, but he lives on as a Reaper, unknown to anyone else. In #1, the Shepard can command the Reapers to continue fighting and destroy all of the other races as all other Harbingers before him did. In #3 he continues to live with his friends, but the cycle continues with the a new Harbinger, although now the galaxy has another 10K years to prepare.

There's your good, bad, and neutral type ending. Obviously you can change it to make it work better, but the ending would have been more satisfying at least.
This is actually a very good idea. I might pretend this is how the game ended anyway

Bocephus86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2014, 11:41 PM
LSnow

Banner Saga - 6/10

Dont like the art style, but its really well done and beautiful. Combat is really simplistic in terms of mechanics, but still has suprisingly high amount of depth. Story and setting is interesting, story mechanics are nice as you even innocent choices can cause you losing half your supplies or your party members to die.

Overall i would give 8/10, but the game gave me such **** you moments that it means i would have to restart all over again, and thats unacceptably random as im 10 hours in. Also leveling system is incredibly stupid.

Last edited by LSnow: 01-27-2014 at 12:01 AM.
LSnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2014, 03:03 AM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSnow View Post
Banner Saga - 6/10

Dont like the art style, but its really well done and beautiful. Combat is really simplistic in terms of mechanics, but still has suprisingly high amount of depth. Story and setting is interesting, story mechanics are nice as you even innocent choices can cause you losing half your supplies or your party members to die.

Overall i would give 8/10, but the game gave me such **** you moments that it means i would have to restart all over again, and thats unacceptably random as im 10 hours in. Also leveling system is incredibly stupid.
Ya I didn't like the leveling much either. Felt that could have had more depth.

Old
01-27-2014, 04:26 AM
vippe

Send a message via MSN to vippe
Beat Super Mario World for the SNES and Gradius for the NES over the past month.. not much time for gaming right now.

I've beat SMW many a times before but just felt like I wanted to play it. Gradius I beat for the first time.. I havnt been that happy completing a game for a long time.. damn was it ever hard.

vippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2014, 10:11 AM
Do Make Say Think
& Yet & Yet

vCash: 50
The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

9/10

A complete joy to play: the game teaches you how to play by playing it, the graphics are great, the music is outstanding, there's plenty of content etc...

The only blemish is that the game is far too easy and the dungeons, the highlights of the game, are far, far too short (especially the final one, it's basically 5 or 6 rooms)

Do Make Say Think is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2014, 01:14 PM
Frankie Spankie

Valdis Story: Abyssal City - 9/10

This game seemed to have come out of nowhere for me. I liked the artwork and what I saw of the gameplay before buying it and when I saw it for $3.75 during the holiday sale, I had to pick it up. The game is basically an action platformer/RPG. The map is pretty big and reminds me a bit of Castlevania with the exploration and backtracking to power up. The gameplay was really good that forced some very skilled movements and attacks, especially during boss battles. The bosses were all a lot of fun and while never quite overly complicated, did require you to remember patterns which will change the less health the boss has. The soundtrack was top notch, one of the best soundtracks I've ever heard in a game. If you like platformers that require a lot of skill and timing in combat, this should be right up your alley. Definitely one of the better indie games out there.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2014, 08:53 PM
Oscar Acosta

Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood

Decided to delve into the games I missed after I swore off the series and then loved ACIV. Took a bit of time to readjust to some old styles of combat but once I got it down, I actually enjoyed the game quite a bit more than I did ACII.

The old Rome was awesome, I liked that there weren't cities like Venice that had you flopping around in the water 90% of the time you're trying to do something. The Assassin's Guild was badass, and the controls were so much better than they were in ACII.

I've always loved the Subject 16 puzzles and conspiracy aspect to the games so those were kickass too. Overall I really liked Brotherhood. And that's from someone who despised the first two and has the Vita game as the worst they've ever played.

7/10

Old
02-03-2014, 09:08 PM
Oscar Acosta

Oh yeah, between two average/ slightly above average games in AC Brotherhood and The Walking Dead Survival Instinct, I've come to one conclusion:

The crossbow is the greatest weapon in video games.

Hands down.

Old
02-06-2014, 12:53 AM
Oscar Acosta

The Wolf Among Us: Episode 2

Without trying to give spoilers, the hanging of episode one is ruined pretty quick. The rest of the episode is just question and answer. And by the end you forget why you even cared.

Actually quite boring. Absolutely not worth a 3 month wait. They need to start pumping out episodes 3-5 pretty quick because that was ridiculous.

Telltale Game: 1.5/10

Old
02-08-2014, 08:12 AM
Winnipeg Jets
Lucky #7

vCash: 1125
God of War - PS2: decent game, the story was interesting with the Greek mythology factored in. Im usually not a fan of the hack and slash games but this one was tolerable. It wasn't too much of a challenge except for some of the timed portions, I ended up dieing on one part so many times that it suggested I switch to easy difficulty, which I did. I never figured out how to switch it back. I ended up beating it in 8 hours which I thought was an appropriate length.

Winnipeg Jets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2014, 08:56 AM
Zodiac

The Last of Us (ps3)

9/10

damn good game. really interesting throughout with a nice blend of 3rd person shooter and stealth. really enjoyed watching the relationship develop between the 2 main characters and the ending was quite satisfying. i was kind of expecting one type of ending, but was glad to see they went a different route.

only gripes would be that the AI seemed stupid at times ...ie, you could be choking an enemy while another one is in plain view, yet somehow it doesn't see you. also didn't really care for how, in stealth mode, your followers could walk right in front of an enemy, but as long as the enemy doesn't see you, it wont see them. kinda breaks the immersion, but it was something that i got over after awhile.

heck of an adventure game tho ...one of the better ones out there on any platform.

didn't touch the multiplayer yet, but i hear that was surprisingly good, too.

Demon's Souls (ps3)

10/10

love this game. played through this so many times since its release and i can still enjoy the hell out of it even now. some of the best melee combat out there in any game, and while i don't think its as good as Dark Souls (that game goes to 11), its damn close. really gives you a feeling of being alone in a dark and hostile world ...you really feel isolated and alone. it can get pretty scary ...and your blood starts pumping when you see that another player has invaded your world and is now hunting you down with the intent on killing you. gets the nerves all hot and bothered, and you wish that there was a summon sign on the ground that would allow you to summon a 'good' player to help you out. just an epic game and series. can't wait for Dark Souls 2 next month.

Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2014, 01:58 PM
Lost Horizons
Everybody Wants Some

Battlefield 4 (ps4) 3 out of 10.

COD Ghosts (ps4) 5 out of 10

The storylines of both of these games are just absolute ****

Tomb Raider 9 out of 10

Saints Row 4 5 out of 10 Felt more like and extended dlc then a real game.

Lego Marvel 6.5 out of 10 The flying races suck in the game so it loses points for that

Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2014, 09:05 PM
Frankie Spankie

Batman: Arkham City - 8/10

AC mproved on most game mechanics from the original. I liked the story a lot more and the parts with Catwoman were fun. I didn't really do any of the side stuff and it ended up longer than the original but that's kind of where my big complaint about the game comes in as well. There was no reason IMO for this game to be open world, I felt like it hurt the game and makes the game feel longer than it actually is. I do have Arkham Origins that I got for free with my GTX 770 but I think I'll wait another month or two before playing it. Thief and South Park Stick of Truth both come out within a month and I want to focus on those games. Maybe after I beat both of those, I'll start Arkham Origin, but I may still wait a little bit. I've been in the mood to play Saint's Row IV which I may start after those two.

Old
02-12-2014, 02:27 AM
Unholy Diver

Dead Rising 3 - 8.5/10

Excellent addition to the series, this was the main reason I bought an XB1 so soon and it did not disappoint, stayed true to the side mission & psycho formula while improving the survivor AI a good bit.

Unholy Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2014, 12:51 AM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 70
Far Cry 3 - 9/10

MetalheadPenguinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2014, 08:58 AM
Do Make Say Think
& Yet & Yet

vCash: 50
Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag

Xbox 360

7/10

After the horrible AC III the series redeems itself with the fourth installment: Edward Kenway isn't the most interesting character but he's consistent and likeable unlike Conor who is utterly bland, confused and erratic, the music is fantastic, naval combat is a lot of fun and the framerate is much smoother than AC III. The story is low on actual events that affect the story of the franchise but high on symbolism which is something I enjoyed (and the only way to stretch the series into an annual releases I guess), and importantly, it made sense unlike the third game's story. The game is a bit harder than previous games (I didn't play Brotherhood or Revelations) which was welcome: never too hard, still on the easy side but sword fights aren't a matter of simply standing around and waiting to counter (well they CAN be but it's still a bit harder thanks to the enemies not waiting for their "turn" to attack) and naval combat has the player taking into accounts mutliple factors at once which can highten the tension (those legendary ships are something else!)

On the other hand combat is still unsinspired and missions are extremely repetitive. The game launches off to a great start but gradually loses steam as the game fails to introduce new mechanics as the game progresses, I found the underwater swimming sections rather tedious and uninteresting (get the upgrades and get out ASAP). I was completely enthralled by gaining upgrades for the boat (not so much for Edward since combat is so easy and the upgrades are rather expensive and hunting is a chore) but it boils to down to doing the same thing over and over again: kill ship, board ship and do it a thousand times, at least the dynamic nature of naval combat keeps the player on his toes until the ship is fully upgraded at which point only the optional legendary ships pose any kind of threat.

Overall I still had a good amount of fun and was definitely surprised by how much I enjoyed the game. I still feel that Ubisoft really needs to push the enveloppe when it comes to design however because this feels like Skyrim in way: great production values, large map, tons of things to find but int the end what really kills it is repetition and the lack of variety; the game shows you almost all there is to see from the get-go and what it does introduce a bit later on is mostly cosmetics in raiding warehouses and underwater exploration (although to be fair underwater sections are more than cosmetics, but they are so very boring). The lack of feeling of progression through actual gameplay mechanics (there is progression in the game but it's mostly more health, more damage etc... not much in terms of how you play the game or approach certain situations) is what I feel is responsible for the game losing steam and the biggest thing holding the game, and series, back from true greatness.

Last edited by Do Make Say Think: 02-17-2014 at 01:45 PM. Reason: editing
Do Make Say Think is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2014, 08:32 PM
Oscar Acosta

Assassin's Creed: Revelations

As I go back to play the games I skipped after swearing off the series and liked ACIV quite a bit, this is my second game that I missed. After Brotherhood which I liked quite a bit to my surprise I jumped into this one expecting improvement as the series went along. The first mission was living up to my expectations and then Welcome to Constantipole.

Talk about 4 steps forward and 3 steps back in the progression from ACII. Everything that was aggravating from ACII was back in full force. The city that's one big maze, a confusing and rather useless story line, cheap desynchronizations, and ramping up the difficulty on things for the simple reason of extending the game play time.

It's not fun to do the same thing repeatedly. It doesn't extend the playtime of the actual game. It just makes it an annoying adventure Ubisoft. I don't think there's a single mission that I didn't desynchronize at least 3 times on, and rarely never my fault. You can be 90% through a level being undetected only to have a guard jump out that you could never have seen coming and back to square one. Now you know the element of surprise and you can finish it after wasting half an hour the first time.

And my God, the Desmond animus island sequences are some of the most idiotic things I've ever endured. Some sort of weird mix of Minecraft and Portal 2, without any of the fun just to hear him narrate a bland story about being a bartender or something. Plus meeting Subject 16 was entirely angering, this is the guy that left clues in the last two games of brilliant puzzles? Some random d-bag frat boy that you want to punch in the face the moment you cross his path?

Things I really enjoyed this time around:
- Ezio at an older age and mentor.
- The best parts to me were following the timeline of Altair from 19 to 92 or whatever. Made me wish I actually didn't quit the first game out of pure boredom, but I did and I still can't play it ever again.
- The continuation of the Assassin's Guild and being able to call on them.

Overall: 4/10

Old
02-14-2014, 10:40 PM
Frankie Spankie

Nihilumbra - 8.5/10

Nihilumbra is a dark puzzle/platformer where the puzzles are never overly complicated and the platforming doesn't take much skill. There were only a couple areas, later in the game, where I actually got stuck, albeit for just a couple minutes. It does add some innovative game mechanics which I love. As you progress, you gain colors that you can paint all over the world with your mouse button and they have different abilities. Use them to avoid monsters and to get to certain platforms. Sometimes you use them to get around a monster, sometimes you use them to kill a monster. The thing I did like was the story telling of the game though. It's pretty short, I beat it in just over 2 hours, but the narrator does a great job and I felt it was a great outlook on life in a dark way. Gameplay wise, I was a little disappointed since I bought it as it looked like a cool puzzle/platformer but it wasn't very challenging. However, I was pleasantly surprised by the artwork and story.

Edit since I didn't want to make a new post for this:

Fowl Space - 5/10

Fowl Space is a platformer about a chicken who hates his job so he tries to blow up the sun. There's some cheesy comedy, but bad cheesy comedy. I'm normally a fan of the cheesy stuff, but this was just bad. The art style seems pretty lazy. It's mostly black and a color in the background. The enemies are all the same throughout the game. The bosses are OK but that's about it. The rest of the game is just incredibly average. Avoid this game as it's only a Steam game and anybody who would have even run across this game on Steam will have plenty of other good games to play. It is at least fortunately short.

Last edited by Frankie Spankie: 02-21-2014 at 11:37 PM.
Old
02-25-2014, 01:11 AM
Unholy Diver

Tomb Raider 8/10

Beautiful game, even on last gen systems. Great story, some good puzzles and great action. Only thing I didn't care for was the QTE's

Unholy Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 09:17 PM
Oscar Acosta

Assassin's Creed III

Finally have finished all the AC games I missed from 2-4. Initially I loved this game and where it was going, American Revolution US history, different combat system that seemed like ACIV, what wasn't to like?

I'm trying to stop being a hater on all my reviews so let's start with the positives:
- New storyline and taking it to a time in history or place I am interested in.
- New combat system
- Open world game to explore, hunt, etc.
- I actually enjoyed the Haytham/Connor father/son storyline but after playing IV hard to believe either of them are son or grandson to Edward the Pirate who was badass.

Now, when I said I initially liked it, it wore out quick due to the fact by Sequence 7.5 you're still in a freaking tutorial. Game is over by Sequence 12. 10, 11 are quickly over. So you're basically on training wheels for 75% of the game.

All the side world missions, seem so great and vast when you first get them. Oh man, I'm going to hunt the **** out of bears. Until you realize its useless and a waste of time. Same with building a homestead. Or recruiting members for it. Your Assassins are actually demoted to a wheel that you're going to forget about all together to upgrade them.

You get to New York and the whole city seemed to be hastily added on. Bugged to no end, nothing great to see. I mean they had a great opportunity with the Animus database to explain things, and it's all quickly written unlike Boston. I mean for instance St. Paul's Chapel in NY. Yes, it survived the great fire of the time - BUT - they could have also mentioned it stands on the grounds of Ground Zero. Where it also survived without a broken window, miraculously. That's neat trivia. It's not hard to look up when researching. That is a nitpick but come on.

Seemed the game was designed to waste people's time. Like "Hey check out this world we built, no? Ok, we will make you by making you stand and stare at people doing work. TWICE each.", You found the peg leg location? Nope, you have to run around looking for a clever way up to get it.

Instead I had to say **** it, just finished the game and won't look back despite my personal rule of 50% minimum completion before I can feel good about moving on.

Overall 6.5/10

Old
02-26-2014, 09:23 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Dark Souls: 8.5/10

- So I finalllly beat this game after about 150 hours over 4 different times starting and stopping.

Really love aspects of Dark Souls. Great gameplay, great atmosphere, great systems... the level design is just fantastic... variety of combat approaches are great. Boss design is just amazing.

Only nagging issues I have are on the story and the multiplayer aspects.

1. Some like the way the storytelling is very much in the background... and i'm okay with that in general but the problem is that when you are in the world there is very little backstory. There is SOME but it's very difficult to figure out the whole backstory (of which I still don't really know). I guess i'll have to watch some lore videos but really if I put in 150 hours I should have a pretty solid idea of what the world is... while I only kinda know.

2. Invasions are pretty annoying but I realize they are supposed to be a key point of the game. I think my main problem with the multiplayer system is that the game does a really poor job of telling you how/what the mulriplayer is.

Otherwise looking forward to Dark Souls 2.

Old
02-26-2014, 09:23 PM
Oscar Acosta

And now having played every game in a series I both despise (mostly) and love (rarely), my rankings of all the games, which I can now speak of from experience and not just hatred of a series:

1. Assassin's Creed IV
2. AC: Brotherhood
(Great, worthy games to play)

3. Assassin's Creed III
4. AC: Revelations
(Above average, nothing to really feel bad on missing out on)

5. Assassin's Creed II
6. Assassin's Creed
(Avoid unless you want a lesson in video game controller smashing 101)

7. Assassin's Creed III: Liberation
(Worst game ever made. Period. It's broken, it stops working at Sequence 7, should you last that long with the bugs, resets your Vita HARD and has never been fixed. Will be a 50 dollar investment in breaking your Vita.)

Old
02-26-2014, 09:25 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

? I get AC1 Oscar but why 2? Missions? I actually didn't mind 2 as much as 1. I agree on 4 though, it's my favourite by quite a wide margin.