HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

The last few games you beat and rate them II

Old
11-12-2012, 09:00 PM
Frankie Spankie

vCash: 500
What's the matter? Nobody else is beating games?!

Home - 8/10

Home is basically just a story driven adventure game, nothing more and nothing less. The story is really good though. It's pretty short at just about an hour but you kind of make the story go the way you want it to. It does have an ending that sums up the game but it's still fairly open ended so it is what your perceive it to be. Never scary if you're looking for a horror game but a good story.

Hitman: Blood Money - 8/10

Eh, I'm not a fan of this one because of the engine. I honestly think Contracts had the best feel out of any of the Hitman games. This one felt too much like a console game and ruined it IMO. The controls were really clunky and often had trouble even working properly. The story line was good but I felt the missions weren't as fun. I liked the whole accidental kill thing they added but missions just took way too long of literally standing there waiting for a target to reach a certain spot. I guess they did this for realism but there were points where I was literally standing still staring at the map for 5 minutes for somebody to reach or leave an area. I'm not that patient of a guy but can appreciate being patient to time something properly. However, this was just complete overkill.

Now that I've beaten them all, I feel I would rank them:

Hitman 2: Silent Assassin
Hitman: Contracts
Hitman: Blood Money
Hitman: Codename 47

And I'm aware that I rated Blood Money better than Contracts, but the main thing that hurt Contracts was copying missions from the original. Gameplay wise, I think it was a lot better than Blood Money. If you never played the original, just skip it and play Contracts and you won't even see why I rated it as poorly as I did.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 11:28 PM
Avder
Life Happens.*shrug*

vCash: 405
Doom 3 (2004 retail) - 8/10

Very well written, good graphics even if they are showing their age. The weapon balance is actually pretty good. At first I thought the shotgun was total crap because it took several shots to kill an imp at medium range, but then I realized just how ridiculous the spread of it is and started using it as a point-blank boomstick that proved capable of perforating even the largest of enemies very quickly. The rest of the guns are all very well balanced. The machine gun, plasma gun, and chaingun are all unique in their operation and handle situations differently, while the rocket launcher, grenades, and BFG have obvious uses. The enemies are all pretty unique, altho I think they waited too far into the game to introduce some of the more powerful foes, and then a few of the bigger enemies did not seem to be used enough.

The game was fun from the start. Watching all hell literally break loose around you really served to immerse you in things and set the mood. Things started to slow down a bit in the middle of the game, but they picked back up in time to make the end of the game very exciting. However I was disappointed with the final boss. Oh well, sometimes you get to the final boss expecting to get hit by a truck... and then you realize that you are the truck, and the final boss gets turned into a bloodstain.

Despite how easy the boss was, it was still a very satisfying end to the game.

Doom 3 - Resurrection of Evil - 6/10

A lot of this expansion just felt kind of tedious. The grabber gun to me felt like a less useful gravity gun, and the double barreled shotgun did not seem to have the same upgrade feel to it that Doom 2's SSG did, even at point blank range.

The new enemies did not seem to add much either. In fact the one that you see most often kind of took away from the experience just because they were so damned annoying.

The beginning of the game felt far less immersive as well because of how it starts. Instead of the buildup and explosion of death that happens around you in the original game, RoE just drops you into the aftermath of things, and it takes a while before things even get going, leading to some boring early gameplay.

I did like the special powers granted by the artifact, but was disappointed by the way it was fueled, and how the effects barely last more than a few seconds. It lasts just barely long enough for you to switch weapons and get your bearings once the effects kick in, but by the time you start to go forth and rip and tear, it wears off and you find yourself facing down some big enemy you could not take down in time and you get clawed to bits. An additional 5 seconds would have really helped, I think, or perhaps making the transition happen over a few seconds rather than almost instantaneously.

The good news is this game started to pick up in the later levels, once the heavier enemies started coming out, and the ammo for the more powerful guns became plentiful.

The final level also felt much more Doom-like than Doom3's final level, and the final boss was much harder to beat, and much more satisfying once it finally died.

Honestly I hope Doom 4 is a sequel to Doom 3 and has similar gameplay, because I really should have played these years ago.

Avder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 10:10 AM
Frankie Spankie

I loved the weapon balance in Doom 3. I don't know why that game got so many complaints. Is it dark? Yes. But it's not like you're ever stuck in a corner and shooting at a wall... The enemies have a glow to them when they attack or it's lit up enough.

Closure - 8.5/10

Really cool puzzle/platformer. I only beat the main game and I don't really plan on going back to find all the silver moths to unlock what is probably just a hidden ending. The game plays based on darkness. You can move around glowing orbs but if you don't see a wall or floor, you can go through that area. It's a cool light manipulation game where you have to manipulate the sources of light so a wall that's blocking your path won't be lit up so you can pass it. It's definitely a fresh take on puzzle/platformers and got pretty challenging at times.

Old
11-21-2012, 10:45 AM
Frankie Spankie

The Walking Dead - 9.5/10

Wow, that story... wow. I beat it 10 minutes ago now and I'm just sitting here still amazed by the story and the ending. Seriously, play this game. I don't think it'll even be nominated, but this is definitely in my top 3 games of the year so far. Simply amazing story line, character development, etc. It's easier to get more involved with the characters when you're the one making all of the decisions. My only complaint really is that at times, the controls felt bugged. Other than that, it was pretty damn close to perfect even though it was more of an interactive movie than a game.

Old
11-22-2012, 11:35 AM
Jovavic
The Unnamed Feeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Spankie View Post
The Walking Dead - 9.5/10

Wow, that story... wow. I beat it 10 minutes ago now and I'm just sitting here still amazed by the story and the ending. Seriously, play this game. I don't think it'll even be nominated, but this is definitely in my top 3 games of the year so far. Simply amazing story line, character development, etc. It's easier to get more involved with the characters when you're the one making all of the decisions. My only complaint really is that at times, the controls felt bugged. Other than that, it was pretty damn close to perfect even though it was more of an interactive movie than a game.
Agreed, word for word. Best 20 bucks I spent on gaming this year

Jovavic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 01:38 PM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unholy Diver View Post
Walking Dead Episode 3 8/10 - good episode though a little glitchy at times especially on the train

Walking Dead Episode 4 9/10 - another great episode, the story and writing has been fantastic, I will be sorry to see it end after the next installment
Telltale already announced a second season of Walking Dead games.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 02:18 PM
Oscar Acosta
Bat Country

I've had the Walking Dead games for a while, just haven't played them as I haven't seen the TV series. Just watched the first season and want to play, but don't want to spoil the show for me.

Does it follow the show or have it's own story line?

Oscar Acosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 06:12 PM
Frankie Spankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar Acosta View Post
I've had the Walking Dead games for a while, just haven't played them as I haven't seen the TV series. Just watched the first season and want to play, but don't want to spoil the show for me.

Does it follow the show or have it's own story line?
It's completely it's own story line. You could not watch the show, play the game, and not be spoiled for the show at all.

Old
11-22-2012, 06:27 PM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

The Walking Dead (Telltale)

Not an actual spoiler of gameplay, but it might spoil anyway so read at your own risk.

Spoil:
I cried. Enough said about how powerful the emotion in this game is.
If you like Telltale games, this is their best one, as far as I'm concerned. And I'm a huge fan of the Back to the Future series.

This one is a bigger spoiler.
Spoil:
I hope we take control of Molly in the next game. I liked her a lot.

Last edited by One Man Rock Band: 11-22-2012 at 06:49 PM.
One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 06:33 PM
Frankie Spankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
The Walking Dead (Telltale)

Not an actual spoiler of gameplay, but it might spoil anyway so read at your own risk.

Spoil:
I cried. Enough said about how powerful the emotion in this game is.
If you like Telltale games, this is their best one, as far as I'm concerned.
Spoil:
Me too... Frankly if you didn't cry from that ending, I'm not sure you have a soul. I started to cry when Clem was trying to help Lee walk along the counter and we all knew he was done for...

Old
11-25-2012, 10:16 PM
Unholy Diver

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
Telltale already announced a second season of Walking Dead games.
that is good news, granted I went on a shopping jag and bought like 7 games in the last week so I am gonna have a backlog to work through, plus whatever gamefly sends me

Unholy Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 10:36 PM
Unholy Diver

Finally broke my slump of not finishing games

Resistance 3 - 8.5/10 - good game, enjoyed the story and the characters pulled me in. Thought the first one was good, then the 2nd one was awful only got like 30 minutes into it, and this one got things back into the good category

Old
12-01-2012, 05:08 PM
NeedleInTheHay

Red Dead Redemption Xbox 360 - 7.5 out of 10

The story and characters were awesome but the missions got pretty repetitive and I really hated the herding missions.

Uncharted Golden Abyss PS Vita - 8.5 out of 10

Really good graphics and a lot of fun for a handheld game, I hope they make another.

NeedleInTheHay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 07:16 PM
Unholy Diver

The Walking Dead episode 5 - 9/10 Overall for the season I'd go 8.5/10

Great game, really draws you in and you invest in the characters

Old
12-04-2012, 09:16 AM
Clock

Deus Ex - Human Revolution. 8.5 / 10. Great game overall. I liked that I could play the way that I wanted, which was to simply mow anything down that got in the way. My only qualm with it was that despite having the difficulty level one under the hardest, the game was relatively easy and I would very rarely die with the exception of boss fights. This will be a good game to dig up in another five years or so.

Moving on to Just Cause 2...

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 03:15 PM
Frankie Spankie

Hitman Absolution - 7.5/10

Eh, I know I rated Blood Money higher than this but I think Absolution is on par if not better. I should probably drop Blood Money also down to 7.5, must have been really generous at the time. Anywho, the game itself feels good. Movement and controls are all fine despite having way too many controls than is actually necessary. That was one of my big complaints about Blood Money and I'm glad they made the gameplay feel much more fluid. That being said, they made the game so linear. There was only really 1 way to kill everybody while achieving Silent Assassin. The levels being broken up really annoyed me too. You could race to a door with a ton of guards shooting at you, go through it and they magically forget about you and the guards in the next room never heard anything. I'm really not surprised though, it's just developers making games easier nowadays...

Old
12-08-2012, 03:30 PM
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

Beat Arkham Asylum today

Good game although I hated the Scarecrow parts

Hard to control and aim

8.5/10

Francesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 05:35 PM
NeedleInTheHay

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post
Beat Arkham Asylum today

Good game although I hated the Scarecrow parts

Hard to control and aim

8.5/10
The Scarecrow parts were some of my favorite in the game.

NeedleInTheHay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 05:46 PM
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

Hide in darkness

I CAN SEE YOU BATMAN

AND IN THE END, OBLIVION

Stupid parts

Francesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 06:30 PM
Qrispy

Went back to play a couple of classics.

Ace Combat 4 (PS2):

Story was good and satisfying. Dog fight missions are action-packed and fun.
Once you play through it a few times, it becomes a little easy even on the most difficult mode.

8.5/10

Front Mission 3 (PS1):

Strong story and strategic combat. A wide variety of wanzers (mechs) and being able to customize everything was fun.
The web or internet thing in the game was interesting but I wish it served a bigger purpose. Not many sidequests (however there is a newgame+).

8/10

Unfortunately, both of these once-glorious franchises have gotten **** on. Front Mission Evolved and Ace Combat: Assault Horizon were complete abominations. What a shame.

Qrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 02:17 AM
Krishna

Recently :

Fallout 3 : 9/10

Still holds up over time

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 07:25 PM
Ceremony
like a collar

vCash: 24253
Vanquish, as downloaded from PlayStation Plus:

Good game. Had many flaws, it was too short, the controls could be a bit fiddly when you were moving at speed, the story was bat**** and the characters were very boring, but it was still fun. And it's something I'd go back to and take the time to Platinum, which I will. Hopefully.

Its embarrassing. Im embarrassed to be here right now. Its not even funny. And its just embarrassing, the way we, you know, the energy we have in the room and the way we approach practices and the way we approach this game. Its not how youre going to win any games in this league." - Jean-Sebastien Giguere, April 8 2013
Ceremony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 07:00 PM
Unholy Diver

Hitman Absolution - 8.5/10

Very good game, fun to be in 47's shoes again, though it seemed like it was more difficult to go unnoticed through missions this time for me at least, several missions where I just had to kill everyone to get through

and no Jesper Kyd was kind of a bummer

Old
12-15-2012, 07:07 PM
RStar*

FTL 9/10:

For a relaxing game to just play in spurts its a great pickup. Problem was I thought I was playing in short spurts and 2 hours would go by. Really gets the feel of a Star Trek episode. A lot of people complain that luck has a lot to do with the outcome, but that's the same in any Roguelike game.

I hope they have some expansions, or a sequel in the future. Great game and I only paid $6.

RStar* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 10:59 AM
Oscar Acosta
Bat Country

Saints Row the Third - 8.5/10

Game is just simply fun, the mission variety is some of the best I've seen. On to the DLC.

Oscar Acosta is offline   Reply With Quote