HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

The last few games you beat and rate them II

Closed Thread

Old
08-17-2014, 05:01 PM
X66

vCash: 500
Sands of Time was an excellent game.

Warrior Within was a head scratcher, but if I didn't play Sands of Time I would have found it a lot more enjoyable. It was a complete 180 from the SoT, why was he cutting the heads off of enemies lol?

Two Thrones had some good elements, problem was that it was too in between part 1 and part 2, needed to be more like part 1. Still though, pretty enjoyable, have no problem giving it an 8.

Part 1 gets a 9
Part 2 gets a 7ish
Part 3 gets an 8

IMO

Old
08-17-2014, 06:51 PM
Blitzkrug
#All4Jarvis

vCash: 819
Ah yes, Sands of Time was really, really good. One of the most underrated games of that generation imo.

Old
08-18-2014, 03:09 AM
vippe

Send a message via MSN to vippe
Beat Super Mario 3D world this morning. Fantastic fun.. obviously I still have a few stars here and there so it's not 100% yet but close enough. And I'll get there soon enough =)

9/10 for solo playing 11/10 for multiplaying

Old
08-19-2014, 08:25 AM
Ceremony
If not now when

vCash: 50
Wipeout HD

I have the Platinum for this now so I suppose I've finished the first game I ever bought from the PlayStation Store. All there is to say really, it's good. There's a lot of game modes, especially with the Fury pack which added more tracks to it. One thing that is a bit noticeable to its detriment is how short races are, you either have 3 laps on the lowest speed class or 5 on the highest, and nothing else. Races are never more than ~3 minutes long and on the harder difficulties feel like they can be won purely by luck and nothing else, but it's not really that big a problem. I think it still holds up graphically even six years later, and it's a shame there's not likely to be an instalment of a PlayStation staple on the PS4 any time soon.

08-19-2014, 08:44 AM
Commander Clueless
Fear the Leaf

Batman: Arkham City

Now that was a fun game.

An open world-ish game featuring Batman. Good stuff.

They improved the game from Arkham Asylum (which was a good game in its own right) in every way possible. The combat system that I found dull after a while in Asylum has been much improved in this game, with new gadgets able to be used and new combos. I still felt it got a bit repetitive by the end, but the subtle differences while playing as Catwoman shook it up a bit.

I've never been a big fan of the Catwoman character, but playing as her was pretty fun. The cat-like movements were well done.

The ending was a bit of a sad one. I'm sad because this is apparently Mark Hamill's last gig as the the Joker? Nobody does the Joker like Mark Hamill.

The extra campaign with Harley Quinn's revenge was pretty fun too. I found Robin silly in most things, but he's actually pretty badass in this game. I actually wish we got more campaign time with him. For some reason I was way better at fighting with Tim Drake than I was with the Dark Knight himself, but that could have just been experience.

The Riddler stuff was much better in this game, but I still don't have the patience to collect what, 400 collectibles? Just for a campaign? Sorry, I'm not a completionist I guess.

All in all, great game. Fun puzzle-ish gameplay, combat much improved, great story.

Controls still felt a little clunky on the PC, but I'm guessing that's a "designed for controller, not keyboard" situation.

9/10

Next question: Is Arkham Origins worth a pickup for $20 on Steam?

Last edited by Commander Clueless: 08-19-2014 at 10:59 AM.
Old
08-19-2014, 09:17 AM
McGhostbuster
Who ya gonna call?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazmatic Dan View Post

Now that was a fun game.

They improved the game from Arkham Asylum (which was a good game in it's own right) in every way possible. The combat system that I found dull after a while in Asylum has been much improved in this game, with new gadgets able to be used and new combos. I still felt it got a bit repetitive by the end, but the subtle differences while playing as Catwoman shook it up a bit.

I've never been a big fan of the Catwoman character, but playing as her was pretty fun. The cat-like movements were well done.

The ending was a bit of a sad one. I'm sad because this is apparently Mark Hamill's last gig as the the Joker? Nobody does the Joker like Mark Hamill.

The extra campaign with Harley Quinn's revenge was pretty fun too. I found Robin silly in most things, but he's actually pretty badass in this game. I actually wish we got more campaign time with him. For some reason I was way better at fighting with Tim Drake than I was with the Dark Knight himself, but that could have just been experience.

The Riddler stuff was much better in this game, but I still don't have the patience to collect what, 400 collectibles? Just for a campaign? Sorry, I'm not a completionist I guess.

All in all, great game. Fun puzzle-ish gameplay, combat much improved, great story.

Controls still felt a little clunky on the PC, but I'm guessing that's a "designed for controller, not keyboard" situation.

9/10

Origins feels like an expansion on City. Ideally wait for a sale to get the complete edition for <$10. Usually you see it go o sale once a month somewhere

Old
08-19-2014, 10:21 AM
tacogeoff

the last of us remastered. 20/10 . what an amazing game and story. switched to the ps4 from the 360 so i had no clue what to expect coming into the game. from the first opening montage i knew it was a winner. best linear style game I have played in a very long time.

Old
08-19-2014, 10:54 AM
Do Make Say Think
& Yet & Yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazmatic Dan View Post

Now that was a fun game.

They improved the game from Arkham Asylum (which was a good game in it's own right) in every way possible. The combat system that I found dull after a while in Asylum has been much improved in this game, with new gadgets able to be used and new combos. I still felt it got a bit repetitive by the end, but the subtle differences while playing as Catwoman shook it up a bit.

9/10

Origins is really more of the same

I'm not sure I'd say it's worth it unless you really need a game to play or something

It was pretty good, just unremarkable; Arkham Knight isn't too far away either

Old
08-19-2014, 11:02 AM
Commander Clueless
Fear the Leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Do Make Say Think View Post
Origins is really more of the same

I'm not sure I'd say it's worth it unless you really need a game to play or something

It was pretty good, just unremarkable; Arkham Knight isn't too far away either
Maybe I'll skip it then, unless it goes on sale for super cheap and I notice it.

I still feel like Arkham City could have improved on those boss fights. At least they added some variation to the rinse and repeat boss fights of Asylum.

The Mister Freeze fight was awesome for this. It wasn't hard, but you had to figure out different methods to beating him because he kept adapting to your tricks. Me likey.

Old
08-19-2014, 11:04 AM
Do Make Say Think
& Yet & Yet

Arkham Knight is going to be sweeeeeeet

Old
08-19-2014, 11:28 PM
Lost Horizons
On the warpath

Batman Arkham Origins. 7.5 out of 10. it felt really really short. I don't know how many hours it took but it certainly wasn't close to the last two.

Old
08-19-2014, 11:29 PM
Lost Horizons
On the warpath

Proteus- umm ok. I don't think i can put a number on this one. It wasn't bad or anything it was one where you finish it and you go "what the **** was that?"

Old
08-25-2014, 02:17 AM
Blitzkrug
#All4Jarvis

vCash: 819
So i finally got around to finishing Majora's Mask and...i'm uh, it didn't click for me
Cons:

- Absolutely lame dungeon design. (Except for Stone Tower. That was actually very well done.)

- Designers cheaply pad the length of the game thanks to the 3 day cycle. Due to you losing everything except for the absolute essential items (Hookshot, masks, Sword, etc.) You missed a couple stray faries and went back in time? Have fun beating the entire dungeon again for totally useful and almost necessary upgrades. (Try beating the Stone Tower Temple with your normal magic bar. I dare you.) And by the way, most inexperienced players will have to beat dungeons twice thanks to this.

- Awful pacing. This game stops and starts like a malfunctioning engine. Get to the location of the dungeon you need to beat? Here's 43 side things you have to do first. No game, i don't care about some stupid mute Zora who lost her eggs, i'm here to slaughter whatever evil cursed this land. Ikana/Stone Tower reigon is notorious for this. There's literally a dungeon that requires you to leave it multiple times to fetch mummies blocking doors stuff they want. Stuff ranging from not so out of the way like spring water and bugs, to complete BS like Magic Beans. Which also cost rupees because you need 5 of the things.

- As i said before; the sidequests. How many freakin' sidequests can you cram into one game? I understand Zelda needs sidequests. I have no problem with them (Wind Waker had a couple good ones, as did A Link Between Worlds.) but the amount in this game is a bit much.
-
To further the lame dungeon design, you get rewarded with totally lame boss battles in 3/4 of them. The only being exception being Ghot, which actually might be one of my favorite boss fights in the series.

=Pros:

The transformation mask concept is cool and works pretty well in the situations they are required in. Zora Link i found especially neat, especially in the Great Bay Temple. This all once again comes together incredibly well in the last dungeon in the game.

-Some of the other masks are cool as well. Namely the Bunny Hood, Stone Mask and Blast Mask. Others are used for one thing and then never bothered with again (see: Don Gero's Mask, Bremen Mask, Kamaro's Mask, etc)

-Stone Tower Temple. Nuff said

-The atmosphere is unsettling and interesting. Characters are mostly unaware that the end is nigh and they move on as if everything were normal. They're either the most optimistic people in history or welcome death. Just a sense of despair and doom everywhere you go. My favorite moment occurs when you have to save a man who's half mummy. His child comes running to him and says "You were just having a bad dream, the nightmare is over." When the kid's telling the adult that, that's just weird. And the nightmare isn't over either, thus playing into the whole doom thing.

- The art direction is great as well. Bold, colorful, which somehow fits with the gloomy mood of the world. Like i said with the whole "Everything is ok, but it totally isn't."

-For as lame as the dungeons are, i do like the concept of having all of them link to an overarching idea. Be it the pipes in the Great Bay Temple or getting to the top of Snowhead. The idea's great, the dungeons themselves are just lame. I actually had a genuine feeling of achievement when i went "Ah-hah! the pillar is the key to everything" in the Snowhead dungeon.

6.5/10 final verdict. Esthetically the game's amazing. It's some of the design choices that hold it back. I'll admit that one who has played the rest of the series like myself had a hard time wrapping around the laws this game follows. Most Zelda games abide by the rule that only the items in a dungeon are important, whereas almost every item in Majora's Mask has an important varying from somewhat, to very. I just wasn't used to that. Maybe the Twilight Princess trick will work on this one too. Play it the first time, hate it, mature a bit more, come back and enjoy it. I won't come out and say the game sucks, because it doesn't. A game sucks when it's unplayable or just lazily designed. This game, now that i think about it, is actually fairly well put together. I managed to finish it, but didn't really enjoy it. Maybe if it gets remade or released on a virtual console service i'll give it another go. It just feels like it's too picky with some things. X item is used on a heart piece while X item is used to give you clues on how to progress further. It can really screw with the gamer's head. It might also help now that i've beaten in. I managed to recall most of the game up to where i played to the last time (Great Bay) With full knowledge, maybe the next playthrough will be even better.

TL;DR: I'm not sure if i disliked it or liked it. Confusing. Even this summary reads like someone with bipolar disorder. "Yeah, this part is great, but it also sucks." I'll be coming back to it in the future.

Last edited by Blitzkrug: 08-25-2014 at 03:30 AM.
Old
08-26-2014, 08:53 AM
Do Make Say Think
& Yet & Yet

Watch_Dogs - PS4

8/10

Ubisoft is slowly getting back into my good books: Farcry 3 and Blackflag had me hoping this would be good and it delivered

There is a lot to do and see in Watch Dogs and the game certainly suffers from repetitiveness that usually plagues open-world/sandbox games but I think this game hit the critical mass, there are so many different kinds of activities that it never gets really boring: you can go drinking, you can blow up convoys, you go play poker, you can do car deliveries, you can investigate murders, you can play chess and the list goes on. As I finished the main story last night I had completed 70% of the game and I do see myself going back to it to finish up a few things (I never even did the digital trips) but I won't bother with trying to get 100%.

As far as the gameplay goes it's tight enough that I can say I never had any complaints: driving feels good and natural, freerunning is simple and shooting feels great. Switching weapons and abilities in the heat of battle can be a bit annoying with how the weapon/ability wheel is set-up but that's about the only gripe I have with the controls. The game is a bit on the easy side (I played on the hardest difficulty and definitely recommend it) due to the abilities you get: if you ever are in trouble the black-out hack will almost always get you out of it on it's own (not during the day though!) and the silenced pistol makes taking out an entire gang without anyone finding out far too easy (I opted to not use it in this playthrough after finding that out), the game does have a decent difficulty curve it's just that there's always ways to abuse the game if you want to.

The main problem with the game is it's story and writing, it holds up and had me wondering where it was all going but the climax was entirely unsatisfactory (it made a lot of sense though) and the main character is unremarkable and comes across as completely unlikeable at times, the game tries very hard to portray him as a "tortured soul" but mostly fails due to the violent nature of the game: GTA V embraced it's violent world and characters but Watch_Dogs seems to always want to justify itself in the most ridiculous fashion and that works against it.

In the end I had a blast and definitely recommend this game to anyone who liked Black Flag or Farcry 3.

Old
08-28-2014, 06:53 PM
Ceremony
If not now when

Proteus

I, I don't know what to tell you. I'll defend weird or different games endlessly, but this is just a waste of time. Honestly. I mean if you want to get into it or try and figure out why it is what it is then you can say it's about death, the passage of time, whatever, but it's honestly not something I'll remember a month from now. I'm glad I never paid any money for it.

LittleBigPlanet Karting

With PS+ continuing to put out crap free games I may yet finish all the ones I have, and this was one of them. Honestly, it's not really any different from any LBP game I've played. Very basic level design, some hideously twee and irrelevant story, and an overwhelming reliance on stuff created by players to pad for content. Now, some of the online levels are very good and very well made and it amazes me that all of this stuff is there and it's something that people can manipulate and do, but it all goes well over my head. Absorbing the 57 tutorial videos as narrated by Stephen Fry in the style of explaining what grass is to a 4 year old isn't going to make me pay any more attention either. I also found the online connection to be a bit temperamental, though it's been out two years so you can probably expect that.

Prince of Persia: Warrior Within HD

All the time while I was playing this I was trying to think of a word to sum it up, and I found one. Obnoxious. Virtually every aspect of this game feels as if it was designed and created by someone completely oblivious to the fact that this would be consumed by a mass audience. The stupid faux metal soundtrack that accompanies every battle, the Prince going AAAAHHHH when he swings his sword a few times (things I did when I played it on hard, coincidentally), the costumes and cleavage of the two main female characters, the stupid noises the one in black made when you were fighting her, the complete idiocy of the Prince who went to an island to meet the Empress of the sans or whatever it was and met two people while on the island and was taken aback when one of them was the woman he was looking for, the fact that the game sends you through the same areas multiple, and I mean up to five times, in various time statuses, times, making you resent it all the more in the process, those ****ing ninja women that would jump over your attacks, there's just so much stuff in this game to utterly hate. Then there was the difficulty jump, I played it on hard my first playthrough and it took an age and drove me insane, then I played it on normal and was killing stuff in one swipe, it was ridiculous. I feel as if there's other stuff I utterly hated as I was going through this that I can't remember now, but I can just sum it up by saying that everything in the game can **** you off.

Worst though, possibly, somehow, is the story being utter ********. The whole concept of time travel paradoxes seem to be completely disregarded with "I CAN CHANGE MY FATE," because he actively makes his past self die, yet is still fine. Pish. Utter, utter pish. And there's a bit towards the end of the game when you're in the "past," you have to backtrack and go to a sand portal to time travel to be able to get out, there is absolutely no logical reason for you to know where to go. This goes back along with the whole back and forward thing that has the game make you go back and forward for no reason, only this time there's no reason you'd know to go where you have to go. Oh joy to play this in a time of youtube.

Also, for an HD game, even a port, the cutscenes are so bad. They look truly terrible. All in, a completely bad game from top to bottom. I never even mentioned the combat that gives you about 400 combos to try and use. Horrible.

Old
08-30-2014, 11:34 PM
Oscar Acosta

vCash: 1083
The Wolf Among Us - PS3

Game started so strong on episode one I was hooked but somehow all went insanely boring by the end. Got to be too much cut scenes of conversation I didn't care about or simply couldn't pay attention to what they were saying. Didn't feel like the detective or cop I was in episode one, things were happening TO me not because of my choices.

It was all forced to make you act one way when it was originally a game of investigation and choice. Not sure why it changed. In the end I still have no idea what happened in the murders, and really don't care.

6/10

Old
08-31-2014, 04:20 PM
Commander Clueless
Fear the Leaf

Titanfall

And by that, I mean I beat the short, oft disjointed "campaign" that's still multiplayer on a free 48 hour trial.

This game gets a lot of comparisons to Call of Duty, and rightfully so for the most part. However, the added dynamic of the Titans and the wall running is a pretty neat feature. Overall I'd say it's easily a better game than the recent versions of the CoD franchise, but it does have some of the same frustrations.

The Good:

-Titans are awesome. Great fun. Titan battles are pretty epic, and the way they talk to you and alert you of different things is really cool. The AI on them when they go automated mode is pretty sweet too.

-Wall running and movement mechanics are fun.

-Game looks really good. Maybe not 52GB worth of good, but still good. Titanfalls look really badass.

The Bad:

-The speed the players can move at (especially while using Stim) and the wall running makes the game almost too fast paced at times IMO, and can really hurt the tactical side of it.

-That <expletive> <censored> <redacted> smart pistol. Wow. Most annoying gun ever created. Realistically, it's not that bad in a straight up fight as it takes time to lock on and is mostly useful in stealth kills where you were completely unaware of the other player's presence, which is fair enough. However, the fact that you can lock on while wall running, strafing, and otherwise hopping around like an idiot makes it stupid beyond stupid, as you have to deal with these incredibly spazzy players jumping everywhere and if you take too long, you die instantly. If you have any lag, you're toast. It just makes the game feel gimmicky at times - not so much because of the mechanic of the pistol (although that is weird), but more how it makes players who use it play the game.

Now I realize that the Bad section looks bigger than the Good, but I still found it very entertaining. Still undecided with buying the full game with Destiny right around the corner, but we'll see. As with most online multiplayer games, playing with friends really helps the experience.

Overall, I give it a 6/10 for being entertaining but lacking content. And a full point off just because of the existence of that ****ing smart pistol.

Old
09-01-2014, 04:12 PM
HanSolo
RIP, Leia

vCash: 68
Grand Theft Auto 5 (PS3)

By all accounts this game is a masterpiece and is quite possibly the best game in the sereis as far as world design, total amount of content, and storytelling goes. What could I say that hasn't already been said about the game? The storytelling, voice acting, action, it's all as close to perfection as you can really get. I haven't quite delved into the online side of the game, but regardless the story mode edition delivered on the hype. It's nuances set it above GTA 4, which to me wasn't all that strong or memorable. I know others have more favorable feelings towards number 4, but I just couldn't get into it. I won't give it a perfect score for one reason, and that is that despite its many strengths I just didn't get the same feeling I got from playing GTA Vice City that invoked such strong feelings of nostalgia that still linger to this day. Not exactly a fair opinion since GTA VC remains my favorite game of all time, but it's true nonetheless. It could be that GTAVC was my first experience with adult themes in games and my young mind ate it all up, but the fact remains that I didn't get that same feeling. Either way, the sandbox aspect of the game will be great for killing time here and there when I'm not playing Destiny (which is sure to consume most of if not all of my gaming time in the coming months).

9.5/10

09-04-2014, 11:15 PM
Bizarro Bandwagoner

Mario 3d World (Wii U) - A while ago but I don't remember if I rated it. 8/10. Wish there were more levels like the SNES Mario Kart inspired one, that was great. Great game to play with my wife.

Stick of Truth (360) - 7/10 Absolutely hilarious and actually a really good RPG. I just wish it was longer and the Sneaky Squeaker move or whatever it was called was really annoying I thought. Also wish you didn't max out at Level 15. I grinded a little bit as I do in every RPG and found out that it was pretty pointless.

Raymand: Legends (360) - Another fun one to play with my wife. The music levels are amazing.

Old
09-05-2014, 08:45 AM
Do Make Say Think
& Yet & Yet

Strider - PS4

7/10

This is what I'm talking about! Super solid, straight-forward action game like I grew up with

The game is very pretty, the controls are tight and the difficulty curve is great. It also happens to be a Metroidvania-style game which happens to be my favourite type of 2D game so it was a match made in heaven

There's nothing not to like about this game and it's delivery; it's a bit on the short side (I found 70% of the items in around 5 hours on my first run) but for 14.99 it's hard to hold it against the game and maybe that the pacing of upgrades is a tad strange: it takes a long time for Strider to get new cyphers (which change the kind of damage you do) and the game dumps them all on you shortly after getting the first one.

Old
09-05-2014, 12:55 PM
TootooTrain
Southern Hospitality

Can someone suggest me a Golf game for the PC?

Old
09-05-2014, 04:39 PM
X66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Do Make Say Think View Post
Strider - PS4

7/10

This is what I'm talking about! Super solid, straight-forward action game like I grew up with

The game is very pretty, the controls are tight and the difficulty curve is great. It also happens to be a Metroidvania-style game which happens to be my favourite type of 2D game so it was a match made in heaven

There's nothing not to like about this game and it's delivery; it's a bit on the short side (I found 70% of the items in around 5 hours on my first run) but for 14.99 it's hard to hold it against the game and maybe that the pacing of upgrades is a tad strange: it takes a long time for Strider to get new cyphers (which change the kind of damage you do) and the game dumps them all on you shortly after getting the first one.

I enjoyed that Strider as well. Capcom has had a tendency to somewhat halfass their games lately, so I'm glad they didn't this time around.

I always hoped for a Strider game in the Devil May Cry engine though, I think it would be very good, even better if Capcom let's Platinum games make it, but that's doubtful because Platinum games is full of a lot of former Capcom developers.

Old
09-05-2014, 11:48 PM
Avder
Animated to Explode

vCash: 64
Just re-played The Legend of Zelda - A Link to the Past on virtual console.

10/10. My favorite Zelda game, period. Has just the right mix of sidequests, dungeon design, great items, and good boss battles. Te only thing I'd change is let you assign items to the L and R buttons as well as the Y button.

Old
09-07-2014, 11:24 AM
Ceremony
If not now when

Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones HD

I knew I had forgotten to mention something when I talked about Warrior Within, which was that despite the hideous amounts of backtracking, there was a decent amount of content in it. Not the case here, as they seem to try and combine the first two games into one but end up with mixed results. The platforming is good, the combat is much more efficient than WW (you can speed kill with QTEs and towards the end you get a sword that's a one hit kill, even on hard) and, generally, it's much more enjoyable to just play than the other two. The different platforming elements when you're the Dark Prince are good when they allow you to be fluid in running around walls and stuff, but quite often the fluidity is sacrificed to throw in some combat (partly necessary because your health declines and you need to kill enemies to get it back) and it feels like they tried to make something good but weren't quite sure how to, and ended up making it... not worse, but not as good as you feel it could have been.

Still on the Dark Prince bits, your inner voice is partly good for the comic relief (the snarkiness is quite funny, and is much less obnoxious than the banter falling out the screen in the first game that everyone loved that I didn't) although the voiceover by the (spoilers) Empress of Time from the second game is really weird, and brings back the "stupid voiceover every time you pause the game," only this time rather than faux-18th century English aristocracy, it's premium rate phone sex hotline. And the noise you make when you move in the pause menu is really weird.

Still, the voiceovers and stuff that happen as you play the game and go through various parts seem to be an attempt to weave the story and the symbolism and the various themes into the gameplay, but it feels sort of forced and obvious. Having the phone sex voice saying "the Prince was foolish as he charged headlong looking for the Vizier when it was going to be his downfall and his burd was going to die," I mean, I get why it's there, since if this isn't here then the game is just "progress from a location to another location for the purpose of a goal" but when the narration's there, it feels like a painting by numbers version of a novel. Imagine reading The Great Gatsby with somebody explaining every little detail of it as you go along (except, yknow, on a much lower scale). I suppose this was ultimately a good ending for the trilogy, I wasn't enraged or bored like I was through the first two, and at times you get an appreciation for what they were trying to do in terms of making it something different, which was lacking at times in the others.

That said, I wouldn't recommend any of them to anyone. Playing the third on its own is redundant, the first game is terrible and the second so infuriating it made me want to put the disc in a microwave.

Old
09-07-2014, 04:45 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

Call Of Duty Classic - PS3

7/10

Closed Thread