HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

The last few games you beat and rate them II

Old
01-22-2013, 05:06 PM
Belamorte
Feed Your Head

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Spankie View Post
The Witcher - 9/10

Awesome RPG, glad I finally came around to playing it after all the great things I've heard. The story was amazing all the way through and I love the way it turned out with all of the decisions I've made. I see why people may have complained about chapters 2 & 3 being grindfests but if that's a grind fest I was fine because it seemed like the rest of the game flew by. Chapters 4, 5, and the epilogue and lasted me about as long as any of the first three chapters. The battle system was a little iffy and too simplistic at times but I still liked it. Not sure if it was just me but I had some weird graphical issues towards the end of the game especially but I don't really mind too much, I'm not a graphics *****. The only complaint from me is how confusing it can be, particularly early. I hate these pointless tutorials in every game but this game kind of threw you in and expected you to figure everything out. It just doesn't work too well with a game as complex as The Witcher IMO. It took me 40 hours to beat while completing 90%~ of the side quests according to my Steam account but probably 2-4 hours of that was just trying to figure out how certain aspects of the game works. Still, awesome, awesome game and recommend it to anyone that loves RPGs! Not bad for a game that cost me $2.49!!

Agreed, I loved it as well. Chapter 2 with all the back and forth to the swamps nearly made me quit, but I am glad I did not. The latter chapters were much shorter you are right. I payed full price and was happy with it, for $2.50... well what a bargin.

Belamorte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 11:58 AM
Francesa

Beat "The Lost and the Damned" expansion today. The thing about GTA IV is that it makes you lazy. I just took the cab everywhere.

Ain't wasting time driving when I can be driven there, and immediately

Francesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 07:18 PM
Zodiac

Dishonored (pc)

8.5/10

really enjoyed the various ways you could take out enemies (or not take them out if you so desired), and was quite impressed with the level designs and buildings. they gave you so many various ways to approach the situations ...its was really quite impressive.

i thought the graphics could have been a bit better, but i don't think they were bad. i just think in this day and age they could have been more impressive. i also found the story to be extremely run of the mill and not overly interesting ...but the gameplay made up for those little minuses.

Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 01:08 PM
Unholy Diver

Lollipop Chainsaw - 7.5/10

silly, campy fun, some pretty funny dialogue from the characters

Unholy Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:47 AM
Oscar Acosta

Far Cry 3 - 7/10

Very over rated game. It's fun and all, but not to the level of what people act like it is. The story is stupid and there's way to much maddening BS in it. The whole catching on fire, trying to put it out with the triangle button and heal yourself all in once with pre-programmed animations that you're going to die with makes me want to smash my controller.

Relic hunting is garbage, it's just a forced "hey check out every area of our map in the most maddening way possible to extend your game time" idea. The whole place is a giant terrain that you probably can't climb, but you don't realize it until you run up 90% of a mountain only to be unable to jump over a one foot ledge.

I wanted to platinum this thing, but now only have Co-Op left, and the Ubisoft passcode fails every time not connecting to server. Plus 45 minute missions where I'd have to rely on people online to complete isn't my idea of fun.

As far as shooters go, I enjoyed it. Just too much that annoyed me to be sure I'll never play it again.

Oscar Acosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 12:55 PM
Frankie Spankie

The Cave - 7.5/10

I wanted to like the game, I do love puzzle/platformers and I was excited to play my first Double Fine game. However, you spend more time back tracking than solving puzzles. It's a game that tests your patience in all the wrong ways I think. Some of the puzzles were definitely tough to figure out but some had the strangest solutions that I've ever seen and it made me hate the game. Not because I couldn't figure it out but because all I could think of was flashbacks from playing strange NES games where you just have to know that's how you beat a level because you're not just going to stumble across it. I did, admittedly, use a FAQ for some parts of it and that's the only reason I finished it. Also, the controls felt really strange at times. It's a game that plays like it only needs a keyboard but you'll have to use the mouse occasionally. Jumping just always felt off to me as well. I did enjoy the humor behind it though, that was my favorite part. It is a pretty fun game but was a disappointment for me, you may want to wait until it goes on sale.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 06:13 PM
Francesa

The Ballard of Gay Tony - 8/10

Great DLC to GTA IV but all the chopper missions were hard

Hopefully they aren't as hard in GTA V

Francesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 05:06 AM
BLASPHEMOUS
**** THE KING

vCash: 450
Spec Ops: The Line

Gameplay is good, if unspectacular. If you stick around till the game's halfway point, the narrative (which is based on Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness, the same novella that inspired Apocalypse Now) takes a complete 180 turn and transforms into a commentary of war, heroism and the de-sensitized nature of modern warfare video games.

BLASPHEMOUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 05:40 AM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Legend of Grimrock: 8/10

Really good. Took much longer than I expected (granted on 3rd try).

Funny that the type of character I thought would be the most useless (Rogue) turned out to be great if I had 4 of them

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 12:59 AM
Bring_Bak_Damphousse
Classless User

Modern Warfare 3 7/10

Borrowed this off my brother, since I had no intention of paying money for it. I had no interest in the multiplayer but I wanted to see where the campaign went. Ran through it once on easy and another time on veteran to get my trophies. Very short campaign but an enjoyable one.

Bring_Bak_Damphousse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 01:01 AM
Frankie Spankie

10,000,000 - 8/10

10,000,000 is basically Bejeweled with an RPG twist. It's pretty fun and will last you about 6 hours to grind while you collect all the necessary gear until you can successfully hit 10,000,000 points. Once you hit it, you gain your freedom. It can help keep you occupied when you're bored and is a good way to kill a few minutes. Nothing too special but like I said, it is a nice twist on Bejeweled.

Old
02-09-2013, 10:15 AM
Frankie Spankie

Far Cry 3 - 8/10

Hmm, where to start. This is a game I should have loved but I couldn't bring myself to do it. I've been hoping for a FPS with lots to do and I heard from quite a few places that this is Skyrim with guns. There is admittedly quite a bit to do outside of the story but what's the point of doing it? Hunting is a cool idea but really annoying after a while. It becomes a necessity because who wants to run around with just one gun and two magazines? I did love the idea of having animals all over the place so you have to worry about more than just the enemy but they almost forced you into hunting just to be able to carry a reasonable amount of gear and that put me off big time. The platforming was just **** IMO and made radio towers a very tedious chore. The side missions weren't fun and had absolutely no impact on the game, they really couldn't think of something more creative than "go kill this poacher with your machete?" After the first couple, I didn't even bother with them anymore.

The only side thing I enjoyed about the game was attacking outposts. The stealth is done pretty well for a FPS that doesn't focus on stealth at all. I actually liked the stealth a lot in this style game. It was a ton of fun attacking outposts from any angle and finding which way to go in to create chaos. I wasn't one to run around trying to silent takedown people, I set up strategic C4s and generated chaos and killed everybody, often times not being spotted at all, and that was a ton of fun. It was probably the most fun I had in the entire game.

Regarding the story:
Spoil:
The story was OK. I really didn't like the magical stuff that was going on with Citra. It felt like they tried to make the game realistic and just threw in this weird tribal stuff only a couple times just to make it interesting. I did really enjoy the characters, Vaas was incredibly well done as was Hoyt, Sam, Willis, etc.

It's the little things that bothered me about this game though. A lot of the stuff was just that, stuff to do, it wasn't fun and didn't impact the game at all. The story missions were incredibly linear and was basically go from point A to point B with pirates trying to stop you the whole time. It was a beautiful game but as beautiful as it was, it just lacked a lot of depth when it came to missions. Not the game of the year for me, probably top 10, but eh, it was fun, definitely not as good as many make it out to be.

Old
02-10-2013, 04:05 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 50
Assassin's Creed III - 6/10

I do hate to do it, as I really loved II and Brotherhood, but this was just mostly meh for me. It had more than a few nice moments, but it's dragged down by Connor being a boring tool, the Revolutionary Templar plot seeming disorganized as crazy, the interactions with the historical figure feeling all kinds of fan fictiony, and essentially the entire ending mission(s) being needlessly slow, drawn out, and overall not at all enjoyable. Even the actual ending itself, where the previous games all shined, especially ACII, was a dull letdown, even given the gravity of the situation at hand. Not to mention that it more or less invalidated the entire purpose of Desmond's missions over the past several games.

That being said, the Desmond missions in the present day were surprisingly enjoyable, albeit easy, and the naval combat was great, even if it was a bit simplistic. If Ubisoft makes a naval warfare game with those same mechanics actually fleshed out, I'd buy it opening day.

It's not bad, but it's not great either. Average to good, so I think it deserves a 6. Maybe a 7, if it weren't for the fact that I'm still disappointed by the final mission, ending, and comparing in hindsight to the Ezio games.

No Fun Shogun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 08:35 AM
Voodoo Child
Lǎobǎn

Mass Effect 3 (PS3)

Well I was right; certainly superior to Skyrim. It's not superior on all counts (I doubt many would argue that Mass Effect 3 is a more attractive game than Skyrim, or that it's less linear than Skyrim), but it still did a good job.

Story: I have no idea how to do spoiler tags, so I have whited them out...I know it's not the same, but you can just skim past.

It's been too long since I played ME2, but something about that ending did make me go 'WTF!?'; it felt like a cop-out, it felt like I spent the better part of 3 games building alliances and assets to have a virtually indistinguishable set of endings ('If I grind for another ten hours, instead of just Joker and James stepping out of the Normandy, EDI is there too, oh whoop-de-doo!'). It felt like decisions that I had made, and not made lightly, were cast off in exchange for a tidy resolution.

Aside from that (admittedly major) gripe, the story the trilogy tells is perhaps the best the medium has seen since Final Fantasy VII hit us a decade and a half ago. 9.4/10.

Characters: You know one thing I hated about Skyrim? At the end of the day, I didn't care about any of these people...not so in Mass Effect. I love all of these characters, all had integral roles in the story in relation to Shepard, all had a place on my combat team, hell, even lowly one-off NPCs were real people. 10/10.

Gameplay: Yeah, I know you level, and customize your gear, but I've never felt that the Mass Effect series was an 'RPG'; it's in the gray area between RPG, Action Game and Shooter. Nonetheless, the mechanics of the shooter parts of the game were usually good (can't count how many times I took a bullet to the head because I wasn't flush against a wall I needed to get cover behind, or how many times I was in a firefight and BAM! Husks up my ass from nowhere, or for some reason I couldn't fire from cover).

The customization system is just okay I think...before you crucify me, I only say this because it feels like I modded all of my shotguns with Upgrade A and Upgrade B, all my pistols with Upgrade B and Upgrade C, and all of my sniper rifles with Upgrade C and Upgrade D. If there is some sort of continuation or prequel in the pipe, I would like to see this expanded in greater depth (just spitballing, maybe upgrades themselves level with increased usage?).

However, I can't say enough good things about some other areas; space exploration and the choices. I used to love just dicking around, scanning planets here and there for what I can find, and the choices add heft and gravity to an already extremely strong story. 8.6/10.

Graphics and Sounds: Even running at 1080P, Skryim is an aesthetically far superior game, but that's okay; I don't need to be wowed by the graphics to be sold on a game, but I'd hardly call ME3 a sterling example of a next-gen title, in terms of visuals (anyone else remember Asteroids when flying the Normandy through space?). Faces are rendered fairly well and the cutscenes are very well done. I'll throw the Bioware team a bone here and give graphics a nice round 8/10.

However, the music is outstanding; apt, moving, comes in at just the right time, sufficiently epic in scope and nature, and it, at alternating times in the game, either perfectly compliments or directs a scene (as much as I dislike the ending, how badass is that minimalist Philip Glass-esque piece when you need to make your decision at the end?). The series has the best VG soundtrack since Super Mario Galaxy.

Voice acting is also superb, showing that well-done voice acting can elevate even the most cringe-inducing dialogue (which ME3 does have a little bit of). The environment and gunshot noises are also perfectly captured. 9.7/10.

Extras and Misc.: A complaint I have about Skyrim is that sometimes a game can have too much to do, so much that you can lose track. Mass Effect 3 clocks in at 30-50 hours (depending on your skill level and how many quests you do), which to me is the perfect length for a video game; any shorter and I feel like I could easily have rented the game, any longer and you run the risk of monotony and boredom.

Some of the quests were a tad redundant (veering into Skyrimesque 'go there, get this, come back for credits'), but overall I enjoyed most of them.

Being able (as in ME2) to load a previous Shepard is an awesome touch, as is the New Game +. I plan to replay the series in its entirety when I get home, and to pick up a few of the DLCs. With a seemingly endless amount of choices, the game has a good level of replayability. I am already on Playthrough #3.

Having emerged from the bug hell that is PS3 Skyrim (though my roommates visiting their families for the holiday has meant that WiFi is now fast enough for me to catch up on my patches, and its certainly helped), it was refreshing to play a smooth game through and through (the only bug I know of is the game sometimes shuts down when you're in the Citadel and go to the Refugee camp from the elevator, and there is occasional freezing).

It will be a very long time before another series comes out that pulls at these old heartstrings like Mass Effect did.

Overall Score: 9.4/10

Voodoo Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 09:56 PM
Frankie Spankie

Snapshot - 7.5/10

The puzzles were challenging in worlds 2 and 3, worlds 1 and 4 were really easy IMO. The jumping mechanics really bothered me at times. I played it at PAX East and liked it but I guess it lost it's appeal as the game went on. Fun game but glad I only paid whatever the Humble Bundle price was that I got it with rather than full price.

Old
02-21-2013, 12:01 AM
glasgow26

Ni No Kuni: 9/10

Despite being incredibly easy and pretty childish, Ni No Kuni is the most fun I've had with a role-playing game in a long time. And that's coming from a guy who usually hates JRPGs. The story is engaging and full of twists, though it does lag a bit in the middle of the game. The combat system is pretty cool because you can control a variety of different creatures that each have their own set of moves. The game also looks great and is full of charm.

On top of all that, there are dozens of side quests available throughout the game. They can get repetitive, as many of them involve doing the same thing over and over, but some of them are a lot of fun and the bounty hunts are always awesome. When you add the post-game content and the creature collecting, this game can entertain you for upwards of 60 hours. My play through took 45 hours, but that doesn't include post-game and I also skipped a handful of side quests at the end. Not to mention I only caught 48% of the creatures in the game.

Seriously, buy this game. It'll have you hooked right off the bat and you won't want to put it down. You don't need to be an old-school JRPG fan to enjoy this game.

glasgow26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 10:15 AM
Oscar Acosta

Finished a few over the past week:

The Walking Dead - 9/10

Not much to add to this that hasn't already been said. Incredibly immersive and engaging story, never felt like crying during a video game before but it got me twice. Didn't like the shooting at all, even when re-designed later on with the R1. Also using the right stick to point and then X to click with the same thumb in a fast situation is pretty annoying, but the game is amazing.

Some of the consequences to the choices don't add up to me. I had someone's back for the entire game (don't know how to add spoiler tags so I'll be vague), only in one situation I didn't entirely have their side and they held it against me to the bitter end despite my efforts to have them be my ally the entire game. That was a piss off.

inFamous 2 - 7.5/10

Hated it to start after loving the first inFamous. They made Cole even more of a cliche ********* that nerds would think was a "cool guy". Once the powers start beign unlocked it's a lot of fun but too little too late. Most of the good stuff you get is when the game is winding down.
Also had an issue with one of my most hated things in video games - where you die during animations you can't get out of. If you're taking damage in an animation you have no control over, you should be able to work your way out of it. Firing a Tesla missile and controlling it over the city while my Cole is apparently being worked over somewhere else is just annoying.
User Generated Content is a good idea in theory, not fun at all to play.

Assassins Creed III Liberation (Vita) - 0/10

The worst game I have ever played in my life. And the glitchiest. I can't even begin to explain how awful this pile of garbage is. Wanted to at least finish it but ran into a level that crashes with an error message. Ubisoft addresses this issue on their website of "reboot and it will eventually work or look at ign.com for tips". So they just pass the buck.

The story doesn't make any sense. Some kind of society lady in the South who is half blackish so runs around as a slave but has some voodoo master in the swamps who hates her and you're fighting colonial guards for no apparent reason. I lost track. The controls are god awful. The implementation of Vita into the game is forced and doesn't work "hold the rear camera up to a bright light" you can put it to a car's high beams and it won't work. Turns out it's the front camera and if you black it out it works better. The technical glitches are unbearable, getting stuck in walls, running in a sky, guards that spot you from half a map away...

Anyone who worked on this game should be fired, and I'm not even kidding. I will never play another Assassins Creed game. Said that after II, but this was free with the Vita and disappointed even more. At least the first games actually worked. This one doesn't with full acknowledgement by Ubisoft that they know it doesn't work.

Last edited by Oscar Acosta: 02-21-2013 at 10:20 AM.
Old
02-25-2013, 04:03 PM
Lost Horizons
Everybody Wants Some

Lego Lord of the rings-7.5 out of 10. The size of the game and the talking brought it down a bit for me. As for the size it's huge. You no longer just have the mini kits to look for you've also got tools and item recipes to look for. The tools and recipes are fetch quests that you get to do and they were annoying to me. The tools thing was pointless because it was faster just to switch character then it was to open your tool box and equip the tool with your current character. They were utterly pointless. The size issue means it a huge map and long load times. Really long load times. It's a Lego game ffs it shouldn't take that long to load up missions or to travel around the world.

The addition of voice clips take away from it because being a lego game the lack of vocals let them have more humor in the games which was few and far between here.

There is a cool Metal Gear mission/Easter egg so points for that.

Last edited by Lost Horizons: 02-25-2013 at 04:15 PM.
Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 10:01 PM
Zodiac

Borderlands 2 (pc)

8/10

Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 10:13 AM
Oscar Acosta

Gravity Rush (PS Vita) - 6.5/10

Not a bad game for the Vita. I just have absolutely no idea what the hell it was about. Good old Japanese confusion at its finest. It was strangely fun though, although often frustrating with the controls.

Finished the story line, I'll work on the challenges to mop up the game and move on, never to look back. Thankfully free on PS Plus.

Old
03-06-2013, 10:50 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

Grand Theft Auto 3 (PS3) - 10/10

A classic that I've beaten many times. 'Nuff said.

MetalheadPenguinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 04:59 PM
Ceremony
I wanted to accept

vCash: 20250
BioShock

I'm replaying the first two through again before Infinite, and it's hard for me to judge this fairly now. It will never have the impact on me that my first playthrough did which is a shame, but it's still a must-play for anyone who plays video games.

ďItís embarrassing. Iím embarrassed to be here right now. Itís not even funny. And itís just embarrassing, the way we, you know, the energy we have in the room and the way we approach practices and the way we approach this game. Itís not how youíre going to win any games in this league." - Jean-Sebastien Giguere, April 8 2013
Ceremony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 12:36 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

Just beat FTL for the first time.

Downright adore the game. Awesome time sink, challenging, and a lot of fun. Easy 10/10 for me.

No Fun Shogun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 10:30 AM
Frankie Spankie

iBomber Defense Pacific - 8/10

Won this one on Steamgifts, first game I won on Steamgifts that I actually finished. It's a pretty neat little tower defense game that you can level towers up to your liking, get some perks (although there's only a couple worthwhile ones,) etc. I thought it was pretty fun and challenging later in the game. Fun game for as cheap as it is. I know it came from an indie bundle so if you have that bundle and enjoy tower defense games, give this one a shot.

Old
03-11-2013, 01:06 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Tomb Raider - 10/10

I was surprised I liked this game so much. It isn't the perfect game, but it really is masterful for what it is. Sort of like when a movie can be overly silly or over-the-top in a way, but everything works and is smooth and is still a great popcorn flick, a worthy theater experience. Doesn't have to be an Oscar winner to be a home run for entertainment, etc...

The graphics were fantastic, the storyline was good, the way they presented Lara was astounding and the voice actress nailed the part, and the game played really smoothly.

The storyline was linear, but the game gave you a feeling of freedom with all the places you could go and explore while not seeming too cumbersome like you have to spend 20 hours doing all kinds of tedious things to accomplish everything.

The puzzles were on the easy side, but they didn't detract from the story or gameplay.

The controls and mechanics were pretty stellar, and you were given a very wide assortment of abilities, items, and weapon attacks which made the game more fun with varying up your attacks and upgrading all your weapons.

Great game. The only negative is the multiplayer is pretty meh. Will definitely buy the sequel though.

ďThis is for you Kings fans wherever you may be. All the frustration and disappointment of the past is gone. The 45 year drought is over. The Los Angeles Kings are indeed the Kings of the National Hockey League. They are the 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!Ē - Bob Miller
Telos is online now   Reply With Quote