HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

The last few games you beat and rate them II

Old
06-20-2013, 10:17 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
The Last of Us - 10/10

Flawless. It did have some repetitiveness and predictability to it as it mastered old tropes and techniques from previous games, but that storytelling and voice acting was out of this world. The gameplay as smooth and awesome the whole way. It had you at the edge of your seat, in Game of Thrones fashion, with being emotionally invested in the characters and not wanting anything to happen It was a roller coaster thrill ride the whole way. Pure bliss.

“This is for you Kings fans wherever you may be. All the frustration and disappointment of the past is gone. The 45 year drought is over. The Los Angeles Kings are indeed the Kings of the National Hockey League. They are the 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!” - Bob Miller
Telos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 10:17 PM
SolidSnakeUS

vCash: 500
The Last of Us - 10/10.

Just holy **** what an experience. The only thing that annoyed me trying to find some of the collectables.

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 11:34 PM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

vCash: 50
The Last of Us - 7/10

Decent game overall, I found the gameplay very lacking. The story/narrative didn't captivate me at all and found it very one note. It was very heavy handed and cliche they way they used female children as exposition. The writing and dialogue was good enough but the plot was something you'd see out of a B SciFi movie.

Last edited by Graveland: 06-21-2013 at 12:28 AM.
Graveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 04:09 AM
glasgow26

Tomb Raider - 9/10

I downloaded this from the PS Store while it was on sale for $21. It's an incredible game. The graphics are top notch, combat is smooth and satisfying, and the platforming sequences are a lot of fun. The island that the game takes place on is absolutely beautiful and I enjoyed the hidden tombs scattered throughout.

The only reason this game isn't a 10 in my book is because of the story. It was about as predictable as it gets. It also didn't help that every character was a walking cliche. Each of the characters fits a different stereotype and I had a hard time caring about any of them.

Still, Tomb Raider is a terrific game. I probably would regret spending $60 on it simply because the campaign is relatively short and the multiplayer is mediocre. But for $21, I was very pleased with my purchase.

glasgow26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 11:37 AM
cynicism

Just finished the Mass Effect trilogy. Despite the issues with the third game's endings I still think it's a great game. I think more having more time to work on the writing process would've ironed out the issues but from what I gather EA was being like EA towards the Bioware crew.

I rate them so:
ME1: 8/10
ME2: 10/10
ME3: 9/10

cynicism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 10:43 AM
Oscar Acosta

Going through the trilogy again myself, probably my 4th playthrough of the first one:

Mass Effect - 9.5/10

Half a point lost for the steep terrain planets with the Mako. Frustration all around every time. And because I always get lost on Ilos, never minding how many times I've been through it.

Oscar Acosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 10:46 AM
Pilky01
I hate Dion Phanuef

Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon - 9/10
MLB 13: The Show - 9/10
Bioshock: Infinite - 8/10
Guacamelee - 8/10
Animal Crossing: New Leaf - 9/10
The Last of Us - 10/10

I only play the best of the best.

Pilky01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 04:12 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

Saints Row The Third: (Complete Edition for the PS3) - 8/10

MetalheadPenguinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 12:21 PM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

Saints Row The Third: 8/10

One question for everyone that has played Saints Row before(I'm a GTA guy.), is it supposed to be this short? I got 98% of the game done in 25 hours.

Not disappointed as I got the game for free basically, but for example, in GTA there is usually 3-4 sets of collectibles with 100 pieces each. In Saints Row 3 there are only 80 total collectible pieces...

AndyPipkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 01:22 PM
Oscar Acosta

First two games had more collectables.

Not sure why you'd want them, just a tedious waste of everyone's time. Shooting pigeons in GTA IV was incredibly stupid, especially when a cop would come chasing every time.

Old
06-26-2013, 09:41 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator
You Jelly of my hat?

Expeditions Conquistador.

The first thing that comes to mind is, for an smaller budget game it's largely without any flaws and that's pretty surprising. The combat is fun, hex grid and turn based with flanking and AoO. The world map exploration is good. The resource management is well implemented and the random events are entertaining for the most part. Also your actions have real consequences in the world. I really liked the equipment system as it cut down on micromanagement a TON and let you focus on the gameplay.

The few problems there are, are not huge. It's a bit too easy except a little in the beginning. The resource management camping system is good but over used. if the movement points were doubled and therefore you camped half the amount of times it would have been fantastic. Though you can automate some of it. The Camera is a little annoying, a fog of war + free camera setup would have been better I think.

Recommended, even at full price ($20). Though I bet it gets a discount in the sales.

There is also a multiplayer which I haven't tried yet. If anyone gets it let me know, would like to try it

8/10.

SniperHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 02:07 AM
Reclamation Project
Technically Missing

Halo 4: 9/10; Unreal graphics for an already "last gen" console. My jaw dropped a couple times.

Reclamation Project is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 05:10 AM
LSnow

Civilization 5 + expansions: 8.8/10

Amazing game, not as good as total war series.

LSnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 12:16 AM
DuckJet
Poster of the Year

vCash: 69
Kingdom Hearts 3D Dream Drop Distance
9/10

Doesn't hurt my rating that I'm a huge Kingdom Hearts fan. If I was an outsider to the series I'd probably be a bit more critical, but this really was a title for the fans of the series. But for someone who has played for years, and someone who was very skeptical about the need to even buy the game at all, I loved every minute...albeit it was a short main story, there is still stuff I need to unlock. By far it was superior to Birth By Sleep, the PSP title...but it really could've been a little longer. That's really my only complaint. PS2 graphics on a handheld and the combat is sleeker than the console games.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 11:01 AM
Frankie Spankie

XCOM: Enemy Unknown - 8.5/10

Hmm, this game had the potential to be an amazing game, but it falls a bit short due to some dumb flaws that didn't have to be there. Let's start with the bad and move into the good!

Bad:

Poorly optimized late in the game - I don't know if it was just me but every time the Muton Berserker moved, I dropped down to about 4 frames per second. Now, that's not a definite number, but I'm pretty sure I only counted 4 per second.
Bugs - This game got buggy as hell, especially late in the game. I didn't mind stuff like a soldier getting up, aiming in the wrong direction, and then shooting while his bullets magically take a 180 out of the barrel, pass through himself, and move on to the target, that was at least funny. What did annoy the hell out of me was the HUD disappearing fairly often and I had to try a ton of things to finally fix it. If it wasn't the whole HUD, it'd be the grid to show how far you can go before dashing. It got really infuriating as it seemed to happen more and more the further I got into the game.
Odds - I get that it's a strategy game but the odds were just ridiculous at times. It wasn't all that uncommon for me to miss a shot at 90% chance but it seemed like the computer would be able to hit me from 15 tiles away while I'm behind cover... Not to mention some of it didn't even make sense. As sad as it may sound, I once missed a shot with the shotgun from one tile away with a 97% chance to hit. Sorry, but if you have a shotgun, the only way you're going to miss is if you just stand up and look in the complete opposite direction to shoot...
Predetermined - You can argue that this was a case of preventing people from cheating and reloading every time but it got really annoying too. Say you save right before you attack and you miss the target. If you reload, EVERY TIME, you will miss that target. Say you hit the target but only for 3 damage, you reload, EVERY TIME, you will hit the target for only 3 damage. It just doesn't truly feel random and at that point feels like some times the game is looking just to screw you over.

However, there are many good things about the game, or I wouldn't have rated it an 8.5. The gameplay is great, it was the first turn based strategy game I've played in who knows how long. It was certainly a breath of fresh air. The progression of armor, weapons, and aliens seemed just about right. The levels felt randomly generated so you could play the game over and over and have it feel fresh every time. Some parts did get truly challenging and had me scratching my head over how I'd get past it without sacrificing a soldier or two. It was a lot of fun in a slower paced style. Definitely do recommend it if you're into strategy games and even if you're not. I'm personally not a big strategy fan myself but I did enjoy the game a lot. I just wish that they'd go and fix some of the flaws of the game, it doesn't seem like it would be all that difficult.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 10:28 AM
Jovavic
The Unnamed Feeling

The Walking Dead: 400 Days 9.5/10

If you liked the first season, you'll love this bridge between that one and the one coming. You get five mini stories with all new people and it adds up to about two hours of gameplay or so. I found Vince's to be the best and while some are weaker than others, they are all at least good. Get it if you played the first season and are looking forward to the second.

Jovavic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 08:29 PM
Bring_Bak_Damphousse
Classless User

The Last of Us 8/10

It wasn't the masterpiece others were claiming, but a fun game overall.

Bring_Bak_Damphousse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 10:11 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

Amnesia 6/10

Scary as ****. Reminds me a lot of the Myst series. Gets a little boring. Graphics aren't amazing. Story line is a little hard to follow.

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 06:12 PM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

Dead Island: Riptide - 8/10 (Xbox 360)

Great story, HUGE game, but buggy near the end and with some other items. They're REALLY stingy with the mods and stuff needed to build your custom weapons. Playing it again now.

Old
07-08-2013, 10:07 AM
Oscar Acosta

Mass Effect 2

Going through the series again, this one probably has the best story and epic moments. The loss of the Mako for the inane scanning and useless Hammerhead is a half point loss for me. Also basically ripping all RPG elements from the series takes it below the first installment.

9/10

Old
07-08-2013, 10:27 AM
Towers
Is it on Origin?

Send a message via MSN to Towers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar Acosta View Post
Mass Effect 2

Going through the series again, this one probably has the best story and epic moments. The loss of the Mako for the inane scanning and useless Hammerhead is a half point loss for me. Also basically ripping all RPG elements from the series takes it below the first installment.

9/10
I don't not mourn the loss of the Mako. **** I hated that thing.

Towers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 10:32 AM
Oscar Acosta

It has it incredibly frustrating moments but that seems to be more on the planet design side that had you climb 95% of a mountain and then hit a wall.

But at least it was gameplay instead of scanning. I hate scanning.

Old
07-08-2013, 02:45 PM
Darkhorse1280

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towers View Post
I don't not mourn the loss of the Mako. **** I hated that thing.
I hated the Mako missions. So cumbersome and repetitive.

Darkhorse1280 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 03:45 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

Starcraft 2: Heart of the Swarm - 9/10

Very entertaining and engrossing, though was a bit disappointed as it didn't feel like it added much from a gameplay perspective from Wings of Liberty.

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 07:31 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

Sleeping Dogs 11/10

Game of the year in my book. Absolutely gripping storyline. Gist of it is you are an undercover Hong Kong detective working in the streets. You get tangled into the Chinese Mafia's life and are pitted pretty much against yourself in an effort to save your street reputation but appease the police department.

Incredible graphics, the combat system is wonderful, storyline is well worth getting invested in. I was just in awe of how good this game is.

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote