HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

CBA Negotiations II: This is the song that never ends...

Closed Thread

Old
10-26-2012, 02:04 PM
Krishna
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyscratch View Post
Ok, didn't get those details included. So an extra year on the contract with no payment for it? Makes more sense.
Yep, the last year is unpaid if it happens
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
Does that money not go into escrow? It's HRR, no? Why would the owners get the full share?

I can't quite remember, but wasn't there something similar in the NFL that the owners got tagged for before their labor dispute?
If there's no season, there's no rules to choose where the money goes. So it goes to the nhl.

10-26-2012, 02:05 PM
Krishna
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyscratch View Post
Why are they threatening to cancel the WC so early? Pressure or is there a payment to be made for the stadium use?
Payment for stadium use is coming up very soon. Plus, it takes a lot of man power to get the event up and running

Old
10-26-2012, 02:06 PM
Jack de la Hoya

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
If there's no season, there's no rules to choose where the money goes. So it goes to the nhl.
So, hypothetically, if the league never goes back into operation, but never technically folds, NBC would be on the hook for a full ten year deal, even if they never air a single broadcast?

I'd assume the NHLPA will insist on language addressing it in the CBA, in the event the whole season is lost. Otherwise, they would be looking at a year down the road with no TV money to split, and the owners already pocketing the cash. If I'm the NHLPA, whatever share the owners think they are getting is being docked the full TV contract, with interest.

Old
10-26-2012, 02:07 PM
Krishna
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
So, hypothetically, if the league never goes back into operation, but never technically folds, NBC would be on the hook for a full ten year deal, even if they never air a single broadcast?
I'm not even sure. Let's just hope we never have to find out

Old
10-26-2012, 02:09 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
I'm not even sure. Let's just hope we never have to find out
Regardless, it will be a bit of a PR coup for the players when the full season gets cancelled.

Owners pocket $6 million a piece for cancelling the season? Sheesh.

Old
10-26-2012, 02:14 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:

I'd assume the NHLPA will insist on language addressing it in the CBA, in the event the whole season is lost. Otherwise, they would be looking at a year down the road with no TV money to split, and the owners already pocketing the cash. If I'm the NHLPA, whatever share the owners think they are getting is being docked the full TV contract, with interest.
Players wouldn't dare touch it. You would open up a can of worms with that one. At the end of the day, TV contracts pay for the league.

Old
10-26-2012, 02:16 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Players wouldn't dare touch it. You would open up a can of worms with that one. At the end of the day, TV contracts pay for the league.
I think you misunderstood what I was saying.

I was asking, in the event of a lost season, the owners will have already pocketed the full $180 million, and the "free" year that came later would, by extension, basically be solely at the players expense, right? The owners already received their share of TV money from that year, as well as the players. I'd assume the NHLPA won't let that stand. I'm not talking about altering the TV contract (which couldn't be done via the CBA anyway)--simply about how the money already paid out (in the event of a lost season) is dealt with. The NHLPA would be well within their rights to demand that the owners account for it in a new CBA by insisting that some future year account for that lost revenue.

Old
10-26-2012, 02:30 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
I think you misunderstood what I was saying.

I was asking, in the event of a lost season, the owners will have already pocketed the full $180 million, and the "free" year that came later would, by extension, basically be solely at the players expense, right? The owners already received their share of TV money from that year, as well as the players. I'd assume the NHLPA won't let that stand. I'm not talking about altering the TV contract (which couldn't be done via the CBA anyway)--simply about how the money already paid out (in the event of a lost season) is dealt with. The NHLPA would be well within their rights to demand that the owners account for it in a new CBA by insisting that some future year account for that lost revenue.
The owners will counter with "well you should of accepted our deal to start negotiations in november".

Old
10-26-2012, 02:32 PM
Krishna
HFBoards Sponsor

Someone on the business board sums up the PA perfect :

The PA strategy is like that Seinfeld episode where George holds out for less money from NBC

Old
10-26-2012, 02:35 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
The owners will counter with "well you should of accepted our deal to start negotiations in november".
Starting negotiations earlier =/= earlier deal.

There was always going to be a lockout with this level of NHL demands on a range of issues because the players weren't going to accept the massive cutbacks / new restrictions being demanded of them without the pressure of lost paychecks.

As to your point, I can't imagine that the owners are either that dumb or that petty, but who knows anymore. The players have every right to demand their share of that money / refuse to play a "free" year later so that the owners can pocket double their share now. If we get to the point where there's a deal in place, I can't imagine the NHL drawing a line there--it would be an insanely stupid PR move.

Quote:
Someone on the business board sums up the PA perfect :

The PA strategy is like that Seinfeld episode where George holds out for less money from NBC
...is the place that overrun with trolls, because that's absurd.

That logic literally dictates that the players take whatever the owners decide to offer them. What's too low? A 20 percent share? After all, they'd still be making well above the average income. Maybe 15 percent?

On the other hand, as long as the owners can pocket $6 million a piece for the next decade without playing a period of hockey, there's no reason for half the owners to take a deal.

Old
10-26-2012, 02:41 PM
MsWoof

Nashville's owners must be crapping themselves after having to pay Weber all that signing bonus money and getting no incoming revenue.

Old
10-26-2012, 02:50 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackStevens View Post
This is my issue. Even if 10-12 teams are REALLY losing money, what's the excuse for the rest of the teams to ask for player cuts? Snider, Dolan, Jacobs, etc don't need to save on player expenses. In fact, the cap is probably keeping their spend lower than it would be naturally

It's clear the real problem is a market revenue imbalance. The richer owners have no ground to stand on asking for player reductions. They should be upping the revenue sharing amount if those markets are going to be sticking around.
My problem is also with Bettman boasting about what great shape the league is in when he does his "state of the union" addresses, yet when it comes down to negotiate it's all doom and gloom.

Old
10-26-2012, 02:53 PM
Krishna
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Starting negotiations earlier =/= earlier deal.

There was always going to be a lockout with this level of NHL demands on a range of issues because the players weren't going to accept the massive cutbacks / new restrictions being demanded of them without the pressure of lost paychecks.

As to your point, I can't imagine that the owners are either that dumb or that petty, but who knows anymore. The players have every right to demand their share of that money / refuse to play a "free" year later so that the owners can pocket double their share now. If we get to the point where there's a deal in place, I can't imagine the NHL drawing a line there--it would be an insanely stupid PR move.

...is the place that overrun with trolls, because that's absurd.

That logic literally dictates that the players take whatever the owners decide to offer them. What's too low? A 20 percent share? After all, they'd still be making well above the average income. Maybe 15 percent?

On the other hand, as long as the owners can pocket $6 million a piece for the next decade without playing a period of hockey, there's no reason for half the owners to take a deal.
It's become pretty unreadable recently with everyone coming and jumping into the conversation without knowing anything

Old
10-26-2012, 02:54 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
My problem is also with Bettman boasting about what great shape the league is in when he does his "state of the union" addresses, yet when it comes down to negotiate it's all doom and gloom.
Do you not understand business at all.

Why in the hell would bettman be spouting at how badly the league is doing if he wanted to increase revenue, and gain more popularity with the bigger sponsors of this world?

Old
10-26-2012, 03:29 PM
Go For It

Quote:
It's become pretty unreadable recently with everyone coming and jumping into the conversation without knowing anything
Yeah. It's a fun place to visit during the season, but during the off-season (especially this year with the lockout) the place turns into a troll fest.

Old
10-26-2012, 03:50 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Do you not understand business at all.

Why in the hell would bettman be spouting at how badly the league is doing if he wanted to increase revenue, and gain more popularity with the bigger sponsors of this world?
Snookums, I own my own successful business and have for ten years. Next question?

Old
10-26-2012, 03:52 PM
Krishna
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Snookums, I own my own successful business and have for ten years. Next question?
OH SNAP.

But, he was right in a sense. You being successful in one business doesn't mean if you owned 30 of them that all would be successful.

Old
10-26-2012, 03:56 PM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

Both the owners and players are going to start to lose money now lets see who folds first like a game of high stakes poker it will be the NHLPA i say..

Old
10-26-2012, 04:00 PM
Flyerfan808

Quote:
Nashville's owners must be crapping themselves after having to pay Weber all that signing bonus money and getting no incoming revenue.
Did he ever sign the contract with Nashville? If not, then he wouldn't get that 10M signing bonus?

Old
10-26-2012, 04:07 PM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haute Couturier View Post
It is set in stone unless they agree to a rollback. The owners are locking them out to force them to give into their demands.

There has been discussion on the BOH board in the past about how the Flyers under report their revenues. Someone pointed out how the Flyers only receive $10M from their local television contract with CSN when comparable sized markets receive around $30M. Ed Snider and Comcast Spectacor are making a lot more than $10M from their television deal since they own CSN and the Flyers. They can make it look like the Flyers are bringing in less money through their television deal when in actuality Snider is profiting big time.

The owners can find these accounting tricks to make them appear as if they generate less. They aren't sharing the money they are hiding with the players and they use it to cry poor. The players have no such tricks.

I do have a problem with the owners like Snider who are asking the players for a salary reduction for no other reason than they want more money. I also don't have a problem with the players asking for more when the owners are dishonest about their revenues. They *are* the league when it is all said and done.
:tmi :

Old
10-26-2012, 04:29 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Then don't play dumb...........

Old
10-26-2012, 06:15 PM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

Quote:
I suppose since you own a business, then you also understand that you can have record revenues and still have a negative in operating costs.

What you bring in =/= What it cost to do it.

Old
10-26-2012, 06:19 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownieFaceSoftener View Post
I would need it shown that they are truly under-reporting, instead of classifying Flyers revenue from CSN revenue, which are different entities.
Ask yourself why CSN is paying the Flyers far below market value for their television rights.

Quote:
This is simply false. It has also been detailed at length why the owners are taking the position that they are.
This is a big market versus small market issue. This is not a players issue. The owners don't have a reasonable position for a lockout.

Old
10-26-2012, 06:25 PM
Krishna
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haute Couturier View Post
Ask yourself why CSN is paying the Flyers far below market value for their television rights.

This is a big market versus small market issue. This is not a players issue. The owners don't have a reasonable position for a lockout.
The owners have a reasonable position for a lockout. If you can't see that, I don't know why you are posting here. Maybe they should just give all of the revenue to the players.

Old
10-26-2012, 06:28 PM
Gert B Frobe

I truly do not understand the financial ins and outs of this lockout and I do not know who is right or wrong. However - I am certain that a lost season is bad for both sides. I like to think that I'm good at reading people - and though I've never met Gary Bettman - I've seen him behave like a petulant, vindictive little turd on TV.

So I'm on the side of the players. It's not exactly a scientific way of deciding but my God - I've read some posts from the most arrogant little windbags on this site - and I like my method a lot better. Two pages and I think I've added 5 to my ignore list. At least.

I'm not saying who is right and who is wrong or who the arrogant windbags are on here - but I'm sure the reasonable members of this forum know who I'm talking about.

This lockout sucks on so many levels.

Closed Thread