HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

CBA Negotiations II: This is the song that never ends...

Closed Thread

Old
10-30-2012, 02:10 PM
Devastate

vCash: 500
If the winter classic gets canceled, i don't see any chance in hell that this season happens.

What are the chances this lock out extends into NEXT season?

Old
10-30-2012, 02:17 PM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devastate View Post
What are the chances this lock out extends into NEXT season?
To the first, second and third approximation, zero.

Old
10-30-2012, 02:47 PM
CootaRoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
To the first, second and third approximation, zero.
Unless Fehr tries to pull the cap...

Two months ago I would have thought the notion insane (even for him), now - after nothing but asinine delinked proposals from the PA - I'm just not so sure anymore.

Old
10-30-2012, 03:05 PM
Krishna
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Fehr will be voted out before he has a chance to pull the cap

10-30-2012, 03:14 PM
CootaRoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
Fehr will be voted out before he has a chance to pull the cap
By who? The hardliners whom fired their previous level-headed PA head to place him there? The hardliners whom have, since then, been endlessly brainwashed by him? The hardliners whom, in most cases, have equivalent academic accomplishments to the people asking me if I "want fries with that"?

Sorry, maybe I'm just a pessimist, but I don't see that tumor being extradited any time soon.

Old
10-30-2012, 03:27 PM
Krishna
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CootaRoo View Post
By who? The hardliners whom fired their previous level-headed PA head to place him there? The hardliners whom have, since then, been endlessly brainwashed by him? The hardliners whom, in most cases, have equivalent academic accomplishments to the people asking me if I "want fries with that"?

Sorry, maybe I'm just a pessimist, but I don't see that tumor being extradited any time soon.
All of the people who will be missing their salaries.

The players know the salary cap is good. With no cap, teams can spend as little as they want.. So you'd see a lot of teams paying almost nothing.

Old
10-30-2012, 04:26 PM
CootaRoo

Quote:
The players know the salary cap is good.
They fought pretty fervently against it 8 years ago...

Quote:
With no cap, teams can spend as little as they want.. So you'd see a lot of teams paying almost nothing.
I don't really see this rationale because for every penny Phoneix, Florida, etc. pinch you'll have Toronto and NY giving out nickels. I certainly don't see the MLBPA lamenting their lack of a hard cap.

Old
10-30-2012, 04:29 PM
Krishna
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
They fought pretty fervently against it 8 years ago...

I don't really see this rationale because for every penny Phoneix, Florida, etc. pinch you'll have Toronto and NY giving out nickels. I certainly don't see the MLBPA lamenting their lack of a hard cap.
And look at what they said. They said they'd be okay extending the CBA to continue playing under it.

Old
10-30-2012, 04:32 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:

The players know the salary cap is good. With no cap, teams can spend as little as they want.. So you'd see a lot of teams paying almost nothing.
no you see teams like the Flyers, Rangers ect spending 80 million or more on players. teams like Nashville, Columbus, Florida spending only on their home grown guys on ELC or 2nd year deals. as soon as they ask for money they walk.
Without a cap the difference between the rich teams and the poor teams who cant afford to spend will be wide. not as much as baseball but pretty wide.

Old
10-30-2012, 04:43 PM
BringBackStevens

Quote:

That's BS

Old
10-30-2012, 05:57 PM
Krishna
HFBoards Sponsor

Further explanation on the new "business model" the owners are supposed to be presenting this week..

It's from eklund so take it for what it's worth :
Quote:
I have been hearing for a few days now that some of the NHL owners were working on a new concept and now I am finally allowed to go with it "on the record."

The concept is essentially a hybrid of three different offers....i.e., a way of getting a soft landing to 50% but also assuring the current contracts will be basically paid by using a concept of a hard number versus a percentage.

The deal would see the NHL keep the salary limit where it was last season ($1.8 billion) this season and next season and every season forward UNTIL the NHL revenues exceed $3.6 billion, at which time the players salaries would then go to a 50/50 split of hockey-related revenues.

Essentially, it would be a deal where the player-share percentages go from 57 to 54 to 52 to 50 but without the NHL side actually saying that's what they're doing.

UPDATE 12:45am: I just got an EXTREMELY interesting text from an influential player.."If the owners come with the deal in your latest blog and Fehr does not take it we will make him. It is the offer to take..no question."
Could see hockey!

Old
10-30-2012, 06:05 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
If he's right that would be interesting. I wonder what their FA stance would be?

10-31-2012, 10:20 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
It's from eklund so take it for what it's worth :
Looks a lot like what the reasonably balanced people on these boards have been calling for for months.

I'd be surprised if the league offers it though. There's really been very little signal that they are interested in that sort of extended, tiered step-down. While some of the owners might be getting ancy with the very real possibility that the season is done by the end of the week, others are probably content to deposit their check from NBC and wait the players out.

Old
10-31-2012, 10:27 AM
BringBackStevens

I can't believe that owners would actually be content with losing a season. I mean, they bought a sports team. You don't buy sports teams to make money hand over first. I get that you dont want to lose money, but don't these guys have something else in it, like to compete and win for pride? I can't see a couple million dollar a year loss being worth it to take your ball home

Old
10-31-2012, 10:33 AM
CootaRoo

That proposal is an Eklundism, imo, as it really doesn't make much sense for the NHL to offer it for multiple reasons.

At this juncture (after a prolonged work stoppage - 2 months and counting) it would be naive to operate on the assumption that revenue will continue to grow at the same pace as before. As such, an owner offer with a partially unlinked cap structure (especially after being so against it throughout negotiations) sounds like BS, and that 57-54-52-50 step down that Eklund so eloquently pulled out of his behind could potentially be more like 60-58-56-... when all is said and down.

The only thing that could potentially lend an ounce of logic to such a proposal would be if the rumors of a pending 2 Canadian team expansion prior to the new Canadian tv deal is true (aka. the owners are expecting a very large, artificial spike in league revenue in the near future)... but that still doesn't help the struggling markets in the short term (and actually is even more damning for them in the long term), which is what this lockout was all about, wasn't it?

Old
10-31-2012, 11:31 AM
Flyerfan4life

can we plz for the love of ceehrist have some NHL hockey plz..

GODAMIT !!!

Old
10-31-2012, 01:48 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackStevens View Post
I can't believe that owners would actually be content with losing a season. I mean, they bought a sports team. You don't buy sports teams to make money hand over first. I get that you dont want to lose money, but don't these guys have something else in it, like to compete and win for pride? I can't see a couple million dollar a year loss being worth it to take your ball home
You don't buy a hockey team to lose tens of millions of dollars every year either. It's not a viable business model that the NHL has paying players more than they can afford.

Old
10-31-2012, 01:48 PM
Prongo
Beer

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opin...-refrains.html

Quote:
While the players believe Boston Bruins owner Jeremy Jacobs is calling the shots, an educated guess at the final group includes but may not be limited to Anaheim, Columbus, Florida, the Islanders, Phoenix, St. Louis, Washington and Dallas -- enough to block any agreement from getting done (It's tough to lock it down because owners are forbidden to discuss this stuff. Attempts to talk to a couple were politely shot down).
Give it a read, pretty good stuff as usual.

Old
11-01-2012, 02:35 AM
ChumpyG
Jibbity jibbity

Quote:
That proposal is an Eklundism, imo, as it really doesn't make much sense for the NHL to offer it for multiple reasons.

At this juncture (after a prolonged work stoppage - 2 months and counting) it would be naive to operate on the assumption that revenue will continue to grow at the same pace as before. As such, an owner offer with a partially unlinked cap structure (especially after being so against it throughout negotiations) sounds like BS, and that 57-54-52-50 step down that Eklund so eloquently pulled out of his behind could potentially be more like 60-58-56-... when all is said and down.

The only thing that could potentially lend an ounce of logic to such a proposal would be if the rumors of a pending 2 Canadian team expansion prior to the new Canadian tv deal is true (aka. the owners are expecting a very large, artificial spike in league revenue in the near future)... but that still doesn't help the struggling markets in the short term (and actually is even more damning for them in the long term), which is what this lockout was all about, wasn't it?
I know I'm nit picking, but since when does 6 weeks = "2 months and counting"?

Old
11-01-2012, 10:36 AM
CootaRoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChumpyG View Post
I know I'm nit picking, but since when does 6 weeks = "2 months and counting"?
October and November (2 months) games have been casualties thus far.

Old
11-01-2012, 11:36 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opin...-refrains.html

Give it a read, pretty good stuff as usual.
http://snyrangersblog.com/2012-13-lo...g-the-lockout/

More on that, but it also compares home attendance numbers for those hardliners. I wonder what compels Leonsis and Jacobs?

Old
11-01-2012, 05:42 PM
StandingCow

If the WC is canceled, bye bye season.

Old
11-01-2012, 07:34 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
#beLIeve

Quote:
Originally Posted by StandingCow View Post
If the WC is canceled, bye bye season.
At that point cancel the whole season. Why make us suffer any longer if no progress is being made?

11-01-2012, 07:36 PM
Hollywood Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 Min Misconduct View Post
At that point cancel the whole season. Why make us suffer any longer if no progress is being made?
Because they can.

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Old
11-01-2012, 07:47 PM
The Flin Flon Bomber

"I think cancelling November games was likely just a negotiating tactic & we'll play at the end of the month." - Timonen

from Euroflyers

Wishful thinking, methinks

Closed Thread