HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

CBA Negotiations II: This is the song that never ends...

Closed Thread

Old
11-18-2012, 11:52 PM
Krishna

vCash: 500
I don't think Bettman was serious about it. More than likely it was just a move to get the players to think it over and get back to the table as quick as possible

Old
11-19-2012, 08:18 AM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
I don't think Bettman was serious about it. More than likely it was just a move to get the players to think it over and get back to the table as quick as possible
This.

1) Mention a 2 week break.
2) Players want to play.
3) Players urge Fehr to continue talks.
4) Meeting on Monday.

Old
11-19-2012, 09:28 AM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
Certain members of the Philly media tend to make a story when there isn't one.
Exactly. I'd believe it if it came from anyone other than Seravalli.

Old
11-19-2012, 10:03 AM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaged Goods View Post
Everyone (stars, scrubs, owners) is losing revenue because the league is dormant. The players who lose jobs because of the lockout are marginal players to begin with -- their jobs are in jeopardy every year no matter what.

Snotbubbles' point was that the real "long haul" implications don't really matter to the players because because their careers are so short. My counter-point was that the short careers belong to the marginal players who don't really have a stake in the core issues. They aren't the ones in the cross-hairs because they are small potatoes. It's just arithmetic. Limiting the contracting rights and salaries of the top paid star players (and the skill players who are one or two rungs below them) is where the real meat is. And those players have long, relatively secure careers.
Well, not really. My point was that most NHL players don't have a long haul.

% of NHL players career length (in years):

1: 23.91%
2: 13.08%
3: 10.5%
4: 7.55%
5: 5.71%
6: 5.21%
7: 3.92%

That's ~70% of the current Union membership who won't be around for the next CBA. The top 30% of players are making the other 70% fall on the sword for them. What's worse is the the top 30% are the ones who stand to gain the most from sticking to their guns, but they're also the ones who are in the best position to handle a reduction in their salaries or even a lost year. The problem is, even a marginal players thinks he's going to have a 20 year NHL career so using logic to get them to pressure the Union to strike a deal won't work, because it's always the other marginal player who is the short termer.

Old
11-19-2012, 10:07 AM
PHILOUDELPHIA

guys scott cullen said on aaron ward twitter page, the players got something that they been seeking.

not sure if the NHL folded and gave a concession to a certain topic that the players wanted. Also not sure if this is fully true or not.

but I get the feeling the owners want to start by dec 1.

I wonder if they will finally just conceed and make a deal finally.

Old
11-19-2012, 10:37 AM
StevensCakeBakerBacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHILOUDELPHIA View Post
guys scott cullen said on aaron ward twitter page, the players got something that they been seeking.

not sure if the NHL folded and gave a concession to a certain topic that the players wanted. Also not sure if this is fully true or not.

I don't think the owners are the ones we are going to see cave. The players need this more than the owners.

Old
11-19-2012, 11:09 AM
Flyerfan4life

ya at this point i can see the fatcat owners being able to sit on thier pile of money and play "no ball" longer then the players..

this whole situation sure does suk thou..

lets get this sorted fellas.. i want me some Flyers hockey dammit

Old
11-19-2012, 11:38 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHILOUDELPHIA View Post

Whether or not a deal gets done, I can't imagine December 1 being a realistic start date. It would take probably a week along just to get the players back from Europe and in the cities they need to be in etc. from around the countries. I see January 1 as the only possible start date. Anything before that logistically would not be possible (unless there is something I am missing) and anything after that seems pointless.

Old
11-19-2012, 11:59 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Whether or not a deal gets done, I can't imagine December 1 being a realistic start date. It would take probably a week along just to get the players back from Europe and in the cities they need to be in etc. from around the countries. I see January 1 as the only possible start date. Anything before that logistically would not be possible (unless there is something I am missing) and anything after that seems pointless.
Every player has an out clause in their contracts with Euro teams. If a CBA is settled they most likely can be on the first flight back here to start training camp. I think December 10th-15th would be a better start time, but it could be done before Jan 1st if it is settles quickly I think.

Old
11-19-2012, 12:41 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Gonna have to agree. I think a mid december is more realistic then dec 1. I cant see them waiting a month longer if say the deal was reach in the next few days.

Old
11-19-2012, 01:06 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
Every player has an out clause in their contracts with Euro teams. If a CBA is settled they most likely can be on the first flight back here to start training camp. I think December 10th-15th would be a better start time, but it could be done before Jan 1st if it is settles quickly I think.
I know they have out clauses, but it isn't as simple as just the deal getting done and hopping on a plane. Usually in any sport when a strike/lockout ends there is some sort of grace period in which players are able to gather themselves and report either to training camp or directly into the season. I doubt any meetings take place over the T-giving period so at best they would be back the last week of November. If they reach a deal then I guess a December 15 start date is possible, but I still think it is going to be January 1 or nothing.

They've been cancelling the games a month at a time though, haven't they? I assumed the next cancellation will be December, at which point January 1 becomes **** or get off the pot.

Old
11-19-2012, 02:31 PM
FLYERSFAN18

Just make a deal already and start playing hockey!!!!! This sucks with how bad the Eagles are. There are absolutely no sports to watch right now, its so depressing

Old
11-19-2012, 02:34 PM
McNasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I know they have out clauses, but it isn't as simple as just the deal getting done and hopping on a plane. Usually in any sport when a strike/lockout ends there is some sort of grace period in which players are able to gather themselves and report either to training camp or directly into the season. I doubt any meetings take place over the T-giving period so at best they would be back the last week of November. If they reach a deal then I guess a December 15 start date is possible, but I still think it is going to be January 1 or nothing.

They've been cancelling the games a month at a time though, haven't they? I assumed the next cancellation will be December, at which point January 1 becomes **** or get off the pot.
Latest rumor was the NHL was going to cancel up to Dec 15th at some point this week, and whether or not they do so should give an indication on how today's talks go. The NHL set a deadline of October 25th in order to start the season on November 2nd, the players have said they only need a week of training camp. If a deal was reached Wednesday they could have the players report on Friday and presumably start on the 1st.

Now whenever they reach an agreement they'll have to also agree on a start date, but I think you're going to see both sides pushing to squeeze in as many games as possible to make up for lost revenue. If there's a way to start the 1st they'll do it.

Old
11-19-2012, 03:00 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Gonna have to agree. I think a mid december is more realistic then dec 1. I cant see them waiting a month longer if say the deal was reach in the next few days.
Agreed. About 2 weeks of camp would probably be sufficient and assuming that a deal gets done this week, that camp could probably start by the middle or end of next week.

Note: I'm still not optimistic about playing, but make no mistake... if they agree, everyone will want to get started ASAP.

Old
11-20-2012, 06:57 AM
healthyscratch

Why do we see the same names of owners going to these meetings?? And it's reportedly the ones who are all for the lockout, particularly that ****er Jeremy Jacobs who is ruining the sport as much as Bettman if not moreso.

Why doesn't Ed get together with a couple other owners, show up and hammer out a deal and screw all these hard liners who keep showing up and not making progress. It's mind boggling.

Old
11-20-2012, 07:08 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle5458657/

Good read. How the whole nhl dont really care about the fans... since we always come running back

Old
11-20-2012, 08:05 AM
thelos
Bunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle5458657/

Good read. How the whole nhl dont really care about the fans... since we always come running back
Yeah it's brutal, I know I'll watch hockey as soon as(or if) it starts but I will definitely not be buying Center Ice or any nhl merchandise this year.

Old
11-20-2012, 12:45 PM
bungle
Casual Observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelos View Post
Yeah it's brutal, I know I'll watch hockey as soon as(or if) it starts but I will definitely not be buying Center Ice or any nhl merchandise this year.
I just got an email from the Flyers offering black Friday deals on apparel. For a team I can't watch.

Old
11-20-2012, 12:51 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveNeptune View Post
I just got an email from the Flyers offering black Friday deals on apparel. For a team I can't watch.
Somebody has to line Mr. Snider's pockets.

Old
11-20-2012, 01:03 PM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveNeptune View Post
return em a email, saying as soon as you can watch Flyers hockey you'll consider buying apperal.

till then bugger off..

Old
11-20-2012, 01:05 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

I agree. I wouldnt give the NHL a cent of my money this year. I dont care if hockey comes back tomorrow.

Old
11-20-2012, 01:17 PM
MsWoof

I won't be getting GameCentre if they come back.

Old
11-20-2012, 01:28 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

No Gamecenter for me either. You just know they'll still charge nearly full price for it, too.

11-20-2012, 01:32 PM
bennysflyers16

I will buy Center Ice for sure when they return. But i will not attend a Jets game, and if I do it will be the Flyers only and will not spend a cent at the game ( I usually spend $100-$200 )

Was online last night at Flyers site and almost bought a wicked sweater ( stuff is discounted) but stopped myself.

Old
11-20-2012, 01:55 PM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 247
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
I wish I could just ignore them if they come back, but I'll be lined up ready to go. Although I doubt I'll be going to any games this year.

Closed Thread