HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

D Eric Roy - Brandon Wheat Kings, WHL (2013, 135th overall, Calgary)

Old
10-19-2011, 12:42 PM
derriko

vCash: 50
D Eric Roy - Brandon Wheat Kings, WHL (2013, 135th overall, Calgary)

I saw him play last night and came away very impressed. That was before the fact that I found out he is a 94 and already 6"3. Yea the Seattle Thunderbirds are not a very good team, but Roy dominated. He was the second most impressive player in the game besides Stone of course. He was very physical, and played smart with the puck and created many scoring chances.

What is this guy's potential? Has anybody else seen him play? Do you think he could be drafted in the first round next year?

derriko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 12:58 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 1000
Not sure if he'll be a first round pick next year, but I do like him. Good offensively and plays with much more of a physical edge then his teammate Pulock.

I've only seen him once so far this year, but look forward to seeing him 7 more times as the year goes on.

My kind of player.

My full account
My Avs-only account
R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 01:43 PM
Rshields

vCash: 500
I thought Brandon did a good job overall last night in shutting down the Tbird rush. Must have been frustrating for the Tbird forwards,especially in the second period.
I wouldn't describe either Pullock or Roy as physical type Dmen but the have both improved that part of their game a lot. I'm going to bet neither of them was real thrilled with their performance last night as they have both looked better and more in control.
Pullock is leading the league in +/- . He is a year away from his draft and most night's shows more poise than many 20 yr olds.
Of coarse you can't compare him to a superstar like Rienhart but I'll bet Clouston wouldn't trade.
I'm very happy to have the opportunity to watch them both for at least 2 more years.

Rshields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 02:19 AM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

http://hockeyprospecthandbook.blogsp...eat-kings.html

Quote:
- Eric Roy (Brandon Wheat Kings) - Big, mobile, makes the smart simple decisions. You would think he would be a defensive defenseman, but actually, he is a puckmoving guy that has some work to do defensively.
To add, I really think he is a great skater, and not just for his size. Obviously for a guy his size, theres a little work to be done in the agility department, overall he is a very mobile player.

And he moves the puck quick well, makes simple smart plays, and has a good handle for the puck.

For a guy his size and with his skating ability, I assumed he would be a defensive style guy, but IMO, that was his weakest part of his game. He doesn't make his presence known enough times and doesn't pressure the forwards enough.

He'll be interesting to watch on draft day. He has all the tools but has yet to identify his style or niche. That worries me because I am not comfortable drafting a player that hasn't yet found his area of expertise.

Circulartheory is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 01:19 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Bump.

Will be seeing him live tonight.

Old
01-19-2013, 02:51 PM
sbtatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Bump.

Will be seeing him live tonight.
Strangely, he's been better since trade deadline, playing with Yaworski helps him. Been a tough season for #7, and his draft stock has dropped accordingly. Will be a tough game for Bdn tonight, 9 rookies (three 16's and six 17's) out of 18 skaters

sbtatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 10:05 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbtatter View Post
Strangely, he's been better since trade deadline, playing with Yaworski helps him. Been a tough season for #7, and his draft stock has dropped accordingly. Will be a tough game for Bdn tonight, 9 rookies (three 16's and six 17's) out of 18 skaters
Thought he was good on Saturday against Saskatoon. His play was pretty inconsistent throughout the game, but it was one of the better viewings I've had of him in the past few seasons.

He's an interesting kid to watch. He's big, physical, can skate and has some offensive talent. But, he goes through stretches every game where he looks lazy and disinterested. That's the one major turnoff I have about his game.

He has the skill to consistently be one of the best, if not THE best, players on the ice every game.

Old
01-21-2013, 11:11 AM
switzsvensation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Thought he was good on Saturday against Saskatoon. His play was pretty inconsistent throughout the game, but it was one of the better viewings I've had of him in the past few seasons.

He's an interesting kid to watch. He's big, physical, can skate and has some offensive talent. But, he goes through stretches every game where he looks lazy and disinterested. That's the one major turnoff I have about his game.

He has the skill to consistently be one of the best, if not THE best, players on the ice every game.
I think you're bang on with everything you've mentioned except for the bolded part. I don't consider him to be physical, that's a part of his game that I wish he would develop more. But, ultimately, I just don't see that as being part of his game. Overall, I've been very unimpressed with Roy this year. His game has improved though since the deadline, like sbtatter mentioned.

switzsvensation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 01:16 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
Originally Posted by switzsvensation View Post
I think you're bang on with everything you've mentioned except for the bolded part. I don't consider him to be physical, that's a part of his game that I wish he would develop more. But, ultimately, I just don't see that as being part of his game. Overall, I've been very unimpressed with Roy this year. His game has improved though since the deadline, like sbtatter mentioned.
He can be physical when he wants to be. He has the body for it and he showed all game that he can punish people physically when he wants to. He engaged several times in rough stuff after the whistle, too. I guess it goes back to that thing about his consistency. It's definitely an area that could show improvement there.

Old
01-21-2013, 10:19 PM
puckfan13

Don't really like this prospect much, can't say I'd be very interested at all in drafting him until after round 3 at least. Even then.. he's already a late birthday, would have liked to see a little more progress this year.

puckfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 08:23 AM
chrisralph007
HFB Partner

Eric Roy is a definite wild card in this draft - great size, very good skater and intriguing skill. Defensive side obviously needs some work, but he's a very smart kid who can definitely be tought.

THW's Ross Bonander with an in-depth profile on the talented D who might go anywhere from the 2nd rnd to falling later.

Link

Check our rankings to see where he ended up:
___

*2013 NHL Draft Prospect Index

**2013 NHL Draft Guide: The Next Ones
***2013 NHL Draft Rankings: The Next Ones Final Top 210

chrisralph007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 03:59 PM
sundaysleftovers

Go Eric! Woooooooooo

sundaysleftovers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 03:09 PM
RIP Chris Butler
Feels bad man

Can someone fill me in on what happened to this guy? At the beginning of the season, he was a mid first round pick candidate. Yesterday, the Flames took him in the 5th round.

RIP Chris Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 12:59 PM
RIP Chris Butler
Feels bad man

8 Points, plus 3 in 4 games. Leading the league in scoring for DMen. If he manages to rebound to 2012 where he was projected to go in the first round, he could be the steal of the draft

RIP Chris Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 05:06 PM
Qubax

Another great pick by Feaster and Co.

People may not want to hear it but the Flames may have the most players make it to the NHL in some capacity(at least a few games) from the last 3 drafts.

Not too many have high upside...Baerstchi, Monahan, maybe Gaudreau, Poirer, Jankowski....but a lot of the guys will play..

Qubax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 08:06 PM
TheDebaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qubax View Post
Another great pick by Feaster and Co.

People may not want to hear it but the Flames may have the most players make it to the NHL in some capacity(at least a few games) from the last 3 drafts.

Not too many have high upside...Baerstchi, Monahan, maybe Gaudreau, Poirer, Jankowski....but a lot of the guys will play..
That's a pretty good amount of high upside guys, throw in Klimchuck and with a big helping of luck Granlund can probably work his way into that conversation too.

TheDebaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 08:09 PM
TheHudlinator

He had a rough year last year no doubt but 1 goal and 7 assists to start the year in his first 4 games. Hopefully he can get back on track.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 10:00 PM
herashak

Is pulock back in brandon?

herashak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 10:01 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by herashak View Post
Is pulock back in brandon?
Not yet.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 10:04 PM
herashak

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHudlinator View Post
Not yet.
Impressive he did that without pulock. Great pick, pretty weak and soft right now but once he matures and works on his defense he could be a top 4 dman.

herashak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 10:44 PM
Old Man Willie
****lord 155

Can anybody give me a website of where they stream CHL games. I'd like to see some of the Ducks prospects play

Old Man Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 12:20 AM
Zirakzigil

Glad he's started well. He has the talent to become one of the steals of this draft from the later rounds.

Zirakzigil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 12:39 AM
Johnnybegood13

Another one of those picks dropping because of playing on a really bad team, this kid can skate and has huge talent,if he fills that 6'3 frame with some muscle will be a beast.

Up to him.

Johnnybegood13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 02:07 AM
tfong

Has natural offensive ability, just needs to learn how to play D.

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 09:41 AM
jarome

He's been a pleasant surprise so far.

jarome is offline   Reply With Quote