HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > The Lounge
The Lounge "...Where the parking lot of the Igloo meets the concourse of the Nassau County Coliseum and the bathroom line of the Skyreach..." - Wickedbsfan

Online Restaurant Reviews

Old
10-15-2012, 09:58 PM
guest1467

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayP View Post
So you're OK with food that can make you violently ill, as long as it tastes good?

No thanks.
The one time I had severe food poisoning was in a high-class restaurant. I can't even fathom the number of times I have eaten in very shady restaurants, off the street or in gross conditions.

These things do not bother me.

Do I like restaurants to be clean and have open kitchens? Of course. But I used to eat at this nasty drive-in burger place that had numerous citations because of rats, was filthy, and know many horror stories by people I know. But I ate there because the burgers were ****ing sublime.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 10:00 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
I think the two go hand in hand. It's all about caring about your product.
Some of the best quality and freshest food I have ever eaten is off frying woks off street carts. These informal establishments have no regulations whatsoever.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 02:58 AM
VaporTrail
Registered Tanker

vCash: 200
hmmm...I've been checking out YELP and Urbanspoon....

they both seem to have their positives, and negatives.....almost a toss up as to which one to go with....

I was trying to figure out which one has more users but when I search restaurants sometimes Yelp has more reviews on a certain restaurant, and sometimes Urbanspoon has more reviews.......

VaporTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 07:41 AM
zytz
lumberjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaporTrail View Post

they both seem to have their positives, and negatives.....almost a toss up as to which one to go with....

I was trying to figure out which one has more users but when I search restaurants sometimes Yelp has more reviews on a certain restaurant, and sometimes Urbanspoon has more reviews.......
use both?

honestly though I almost never let a bad review dissuade me from going somewhere... most times it just means someone has unrealistic expectations of the place.

zytz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 08:26 AM
RayP

vCash: 50
Quote:

I always find that one of the two will have 20-30 reviews, and the other will only have like 2-3... so use both.

RayP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 03:18 PM
VaporTrail
Registered Tanker

vCash: 200
Does anyone think it's weird that yelp asks for both your first and last name ? Although I do think it's optional (i have still yet to sign up) it seems most people do use their first and last name as most of the reviews show a person's first name and last initial.....

Am I the only one who doesn't like to give out personal information like this ? They also optionally ask for your birthday as well.....I usually go a year or day off when I give my birthdate lol..

Anyone else like me ? Or am I just being to paranoid ?

VaporTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 03:55 PM
Diskothek

Quote:
Does anyone think it's weird that yelp asks for both your first and last name ? Although I do think it's optional (i have still yet to sign up) it seems most people do use their first and last name as most of the reviews show a person's first name and last initial.....

Am I the only one who doesn't like to give out personal information like this ? They also optionally ask for your birthday as well.....I usually go a year or day off when I give my birthdate lol..

Use a fake name. Its just a Yelp profile, not a job application.

Diskothek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 03:57 PM
RayP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diskothek View Post
Use a fake name. Its just a Yelp profile, not a job application.
Whoa whoa whoa. There is NO lying on the internet. It's not allowed.

RayP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 04:19 PM
40oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
Some of the best quality and freshest food I have ever eaten is off frying woks off street carts. These informal establishments have no regulations whatsoever.
Same, those people understand that properly caring for their food and showing it respect means they will have a higher quality product that people will come back for.
Reputation is their regulation.

40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 05:16 PM
Finnish your Czech
Jermain Defriend

Quote:

You are being too paranoid, but just use a fake name.