Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Notices

The effect of a lock out on Jarome Iginla

Old
09-14-2012, 11:38 AM
Flames rebuilder

vCash: 500
The effect of a lock out on Jarome Iginla

Could a lock out increase Iggy's desire to be moved to a top contender? With Iginla entering a contract year and getting older, could potentially building chemistry with players from other teams increase his openness to a possible trade or even walking next year? Thoughts?

Flames rebuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 11:42 AM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 133
I could totally see it being a motivator for him to move to another team. We would be hooped if he just walked for nothing next year. I think he is more classy than that though, and cares a lot about the organization.

From a playing standpoint I think its bad news, if he takes a year off hockey I seriously would expect him to decline sharply.

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 11:55 AM
Flames rebuilder

Can't imagine him declining that much, he's in too good of shape. If he was on the fence about about chasing a cup and wanted one more run with the Flame's before making his decision, it could be really bad for us.

Old
09-14-2012, 12:48 PM
Double Dion
Jets fan 30/06/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames rebuilder View Post
Can't imagine him declining that much, he's in too good of shape. If he was on the fence about about chasing a cup and wanted one more run with the Flame's before making his decision, it could be really bad for us.
I doubt he'd just walk on us. He and Feaster will come to a quiet understanding about his intentions at the TDL. If he's wants to win as he's stated, then I think he gets moved. People cite LA in reference to having a chance if you're the 8 seed. The Flames are not LA though. We'd need Kipper to be out of his mind to advance even if we do squeak in.

Double Dion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 02:14 PM
tmurfin
500g1000pts

vCash: 336
I too doubt he walks for nothing.. He would let Feaster know, to try help out the organization.. And he has said he won't play if there is a lockout.. Which sucks, although he is always in peak physical shape, so hopefully he doesn't decline a whole lot

tmurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 04:03 PM
Flames rebuilder

How does the deadline even work, in the event of a lock out?

Old
09-24-2012, 11:24 PM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

vCash: 1440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames rebuilder View Post
How does the deadline even work, in the event of a lock out?
With no CBA to govern how trades are handled or even when the trade deadline is, it... doesn't.

One effect of a shortened season for Iginla would be jeopardizing his streak of 30 goal seasons. That would suck monkey tail.

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 01:37 AM
Devilspuppet666

vCash: 250
i really couldnt care less... i cant stand him and im probably the only flames fan who does, but honestly i would take cammy, tangs, gio, kipper, and glencross over him in a heartbeat

Devilspuppet666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 06:22 PM
BVicious

vCash: 50
Wow u insulted my thread and locked it. Mine at least begged the question of our next captain. This site is all about groupie love. Peace.

BVicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 07:35 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVicious View Post
Wow u insulted my thread and locked it. Mine at least begged the question of our next captain. This site is all about groupie love. Peace.
He posed a question, you posed a statement, a laughable one at that.

You wont be missed.

Old
09-26-2012, 08:54 PM
King In The North
Sean Bennett

Quote:
LOL this is what you wrote:

"This is a lockout, therefore Jarome Iginla has played his last game as a Flame [no source]"

vs

"This is a lockout, what are the effects on Iginla and his desires to remain with the team?"

Only one can be used in a proper paper, and hint: it's not yours.

King In The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 11:53 PM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLaDOS View Post
LOL this is what you wrote:

"This is a lockout, therefore Jarome Iginla has played his last game as a Flame [no source]"

vs

"This is a lockout, what are the effects on Iginla and his desires to remain with the team?"

Only one can be used in a proper paper, and hint: it's not yours.
Not to mention such a statement could have easily been made in this thread, as it was created first...

Old
09-27-2012, 08:17 PM
slappipappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmurfin View Post
I too doubt he walks for nothing.. He would let Feaster know, to try help out the organization..
With a lockout why would anyon trade for player who will never play for them?

slappipappi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 11:18 PM
King In The North
Sean Bennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilspuppet666 View Post
i really couldnt care less... i cant stand him and im probably the only flames fan who does, but honestly i would take cammy, tangs, gio, kipper, and glencross over him in a heartbeat
What about him would make you choose Cammalleri over him...

King In The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 12:04 AM
Janko Unchained
Flames CBA Guy

vCash: 240
Quote:

Care to explain your stance? I am legitimately interested in hearing why you feel this way about one of the best players (if not the best) to dawn a Flames jersey? Our captain, no less.

Janko Unchained is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2012, 10:25 AM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

So obviously the Flames and Iginla can't negotiate a contract extension during the lockout since there is currently no CBA framework to create such an extension.

I was wondering - if the lockout goes all year, Iginla obviously becomes a UFA July 1. This concerns me.

Can the Flames (either directly or through a third party) sign a "personal services contract" or something with Iginla, in an attempt to circumvent him reaching free agency? Can that happen before July 1, or after? (assuming he is no longer a member of the NHLPA once the contract expires it might need to be after)

Old
10-12-2012, 10:32 AM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
So obviously the Flames and Iginla can't negotiate a contract extension during the lockout since there is currently no CBA framework to create such an extension.

I was wondering - if the lockout goes all year, Iginla obviously becomes a UFA July 1. This concerns me.

Can the Flames (either directly or through a third party) sign a "personal services contract" or something with Iginla, in an attempt to circumvent him reaching free agency? Can that happen before July 1, or after? (assuming he is no longer a member of the NHLPA once the contract expires it might need to be after)
I have never heard of a team doing that, the only thing I can think of is them signing him to a tryout contract with the team, which would be too weird. Even then, it doesn't really stop him from hitting FA but maybe it would show his intentions?

Old
10-12-2012, 11:57 AM
BVicious

Face it, if we lose the year Iggy is gone. He doesn't look like the bad guy waiving his trade clause, an gets to sign with a contender. Kipper will probably retire as he only gets 1.5million in his final year.

We will lose them for nothing.

BVicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2012, 12:07 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

Quote:
Face it, if we lose the year Iggy is gone. He doesn't look like the bad guy waiving his trade clause, an gets to sign with a contender. Kipper will probably retire as he only gets 1.5million in his final year.

We will lose them for nothing.
Whatever you say Nostradamus.

Old
10-12-2012, 12:42 PM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
Whatever you say Nostradamus.
If he keeps saying it over and over, obviously that makes it true...

Old
10-14-2012, 08:38 AM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

The only comments I've heard Iginla say about leaving is that he doesn't want to stick around for being part of a rebuild. Everything the Flames have done have shown doing a scorch earth rebuild is not the path they are choosing to go. Iginla has always said he loves the city and this is where he wants to play. The Flames will have to pay up, but I'm of the opinion that extending him could be done with not that much persuasion.

I think the Flames are a playoff with the additions they made. And I think Iginla feels that having a goalie like Kipper would give them a shot to go on a deep run should they get in.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 07:56 PM
slappipappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
The only comments I've heard Iginla say about leaving is that he doesn't want to stick around for being part of a rebuild. Everything the Flames have done have shown doing a scorch earth rebuild is not the path they are choosing to go.
Flames may be resisting such a rebuild, but eventually it will come to Calgary.

The longer they wait, and not get future long term assets for current short term assets, they harder it will be when it does come. And it will come.

Old
10-14-2012, 08:55 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
Quote:
You you ****ing kidding me? How can you not like the face off the franchise and be a fan of the team.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 09:43 PM
slappipappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
You you ****ing kidding me? How can you not like the face off the franchise and be a fan of the team.
You got that right.

Hard to find a more loyal classy player as Iggy.

Even those among us who want to trade him (if he'll accept one), it's not becuase of any dissatisfaction with Iggy, we just feel that a rebuid is inevitable

Old
10-15-2012, 12:07 AM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Quote:
Originally Posted by slappipappi View Post
Flames may be resisting such a rebuild, but eventually it will come to Calgary.

The longer they wait, and not get future long term assets for current short term assets, they harder it will be when it does come. And it will come.
That may very well be true, and that day may indeed be coming. I'm on the fence of such a rebuild but its not black and white when it comes to trading Iginla.

Unless they get a homerun offer for Iginla like getting a Couturier in return (which I doubt will happen) then I don't see the point in trading our captain. There are far to many unknowns to risk moving him and I don't see the benefit of moving him unless such an offer presents itself. I don't view our future as bleak as some may paint it to be.

If even 2 of Baertschi, Jankow, Gaudreau, Reinhart or Granlund hit their ceilings which is probable, and the Flames have success in signing one high profile FA, then I think the direction we are moving towards is fine and we will remain competitive for quite some time.

Calgary is a rich city and our owners have shown they are willing to spend to the cap. You look at a team like the Wild and that shows anything is possible. I think the Flames are trying to follow the Rangers model of maintaining the status quo and drafting smart. If that turns out to be successful and FA's see that, I think the Flames can be can successful in the near future.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote