HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

James Neal for Alex Goligoski

View Poll Results: Well
Yes they did 61 70.11%
Not at all, i still consider it an even trade 26 29.89%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Old
10-14-2012, 01:11 PM
ESH

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckgenius View Post
Flashing back, Did the Pens rob the stars?

Imagine if Dallas still had Neal, their offense would be incredible.

ericsson, Benn, Neal, whitney, ryder, roy, jagr, morrow
They didn't rob them, but it wasn't exactly an even trade either.

And Dallas' offense probably wouldn't look like that if they had kept Neal.

ESH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 01:16 PM
Human
cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
We needed one right then for a playoff push, and Larsen definitely wasn't ready for that role. Even still, I'm not sure he is. And you can't build a defense with just one PMD either.

And you can't honestly tell me Neal was ever going to be more than a streaky 25-30-55 guy here. Sure, he did have a couple stretches where he just dominated, but those were far from the norm. And after his suspension, I always felt like his days in Dallas were numbered.
I love Stars fans with crystal balls like yourself. Neal was an over the hill 30+ yo winger when he got traded to the Pens, so we could assume 25-30-55 would be the top for him, right?

Human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 01:19 PM
OzzyFan

Better for the pens, but no steal.

OzzyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 01:19 PM
nik jr

i thought and still think it was a ridiculous trade by dallas.

23 year old players who had 3 20g seasons, from 2000-2012
lecavalier
kovalchuk
gagne
thornton
hossa
havlat
nash
crosby
ovechkin
patrick kane
toews
malkin
kopitar
kessel
stamkos
horton
gaborik
getzlaf
marleau
brad richards
ryan
eric staal
jordan staal
tavares
benn

and neal

neal is also big and fairly physical.

nik jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 03:14 PM
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER

Based on the 2011-2012 season and Neal's stats it was a steal for the Penguins. However it will be interesting to see if he can put the same numbers up again with Sidney Crosby playing a full season, because if does Neal still play with Malkin and etc or will they put Crosby and Neal on the same line?

LEAFS FAN 4 EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 03:17 PM
tony d
The franchise

Option 1. Pittsburgh won this deal hands down.

10-14-2012, 04:47 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
shift

vCash: 27750
Quote:
We needed one right then for a playoff push, and Larsen definitely wasn't ready for that role. Even still, I'm not sure he is. And you can't build a defense with just one PMD either.
You don't trade a young roster player like Neal who is under team control for several more years for an immediate short-term goal like making the playoffs. And that's not why the trade was made anyway. It was made as a long-term move, one which was unnecessary if they had correctly gauged what was already in their system in Larsen. Then lo and behold it turns out that the Stars become very thin on the wings after making this deal. They robbed Peter to pay Paul -- and they didn't even need to.
Quote:
And you can't honestly tell me Neal was ever going to be more than a streaky 25-30-55 guy here.
Sure I can. What seems preposterous to me is believing that he would've never developed further.

piqued is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 04:58 PM
FireBylsma
Palmebjörk & Doktorn

vCash: 147
Pens completely robbed Dallas, because Niskanen>Goligoski!

FireBylsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 05:07 PM
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps

Neal for Goligoski is lopsided, but D who can QB a powerplay and score 50 points a year don't exactly grow on trees, though they're also not as rare as big, strong 22 year old wingers who can snipe 40. That alone isn't a robbery.

Niskanen as a throw-in is what made it a robbery. It doesn't matter how bad he was for Dallas, he adds a lot to the Pittsburgh blueline and was probably the lone guy who didn't embarrass himself in the Philly series at least once, made more impressive by the fact that he was playing with a broken clavicle or separated shoulder or something.

I mean, Niskanen's a right-handed D who skates well, has a bomb and an affordable contract (for a PMD, anyway). That Dallas couldn't figure out a way to use a guy like that is only eclipsed by the fact that they'd abandon him as a throw-in on a trade where they already gave up a bit too much.

billybudd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 05:14 PM
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFS FAN 4 EVER View Post
Based on the 2011-2012 season and Neal's stats it was a steal for the Penguins. However it will be interesting to see if he can put the same numbers up again with Sidney Crosby playing a full season, because if does Neal still play with Malkin and etc or will they put Crosby and Neal on the same line?
I don't think it will matter. Neal's game is pretty unimaginative. Forechecks, works the boards, eventually goes to a shooting area and tries to overpower the tender with his really hard wrister. The only real requirement I see for him to have success is that his linemates can forecheck, cycle and get him the puck when he's in position to shoot. He didn't do much on a line with Kovalev, because AK didn't cycle or forecheck and didn't do well with Staal because JS doesn't distribute the puck well.

I don't really see James Neal having chemistry issues with any playmaking center in the league that cycles and forechecks because his game's so simple.

billybudd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 05:40 PM
wKetch22
Pure Grime

vCash: 50
I think the Pens won, but not by that much

It only seems like a ton since Neal is such a good fit with the Pengs

wKetch22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 06:20 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

vCash: 746
Quote:
I mean, Niskanen's a right-handed D who skates well, has a bomb and an affordable contract (for a PMD, anyway). That Dallas couldn't figure out a way to use a guy like that is only eclipsed by the fact that they'd abandon him as a throw-in on a trade where they already gave up a bit too much.
You seriously did not watch him here in Dallas. He had huge confidence issues and wasn't even good enough to be a 7th D.

MetalGodAOD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 06:31 PM
Saku11

Lol@ people saying Neal wouldnt have been a great player in Dallas.Ofcourse playing with Malkin had an effect on his production, but Its not like Malkin is like Mario and turns garbage into gold. Neal worked very hard during the summer and it shoved.

Saku11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 06:33 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

vCash: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saku11 View Post
Lol@ people saying Neal wouldnt have been a great player in Dallas.Ofcourse playing with Malkin had an effect on his production, but Its not like Malkin is like Mario and turns garbage into gold. Neal worked very hard during the summer and it shoved.
Yes he did. But I think it's not a crazy assumption to think that the trade "woke him up." His development had stagnated pretty hard in Dallas, and his really bad 2010-2011 season probably motivated him. It's impossible to say whether he'd have been as motivated on Dallas's squad without a trade to wake him up.

MetalGodAOD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 08:23 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saku11 View Post
That likely wouldn't have happened without the wake up call of actually being traded, though.

LatvianTwist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 08:56 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
You Suck McBain!

Quote:
That likely wouldn't have happened without the wake up call of actually being traded, though.
Why? Neal was just 23 when traded, and in the list where nik jr rattled off all the other 23-and-unders who had 3 20 goal seasons, there wasn't a dud in the bunch.

Neal obviously benefited from playing with Malkin, but suggesting that a player of Neal's age and accomplishments would've plateaued at 25 goals and 55 points had he stayed in Dallas is pretty goofy. Let's not sell him short - he's a big, hardworking player with an outstanding shot and a knack for finding open spots.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 08:57 PM
Fearless Leaf*
Playiffs 2013!!!!!

Pens won the deal by a good margin.

Fearless Leaf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 10:54 PM
ReverendAlBundy
Loungetown mortician

Dallas was robbed. Neal was a better hockey player at the time of the trade, and is a better hockey player today.

I still get cranky whenever I think about this deal. The only plus side was dumping niskanen. He was a travesty in Dallas, and getting rid of him definitely helped ease the pain of losing Neal.

ReverendAlBundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 01:13 PM
Ignatius
Tower Garden Fanatic

vCash: 269
Neal, Niskanen, and Goligoski all needed to go to another team just like Jordan Staal did. Goose was growing beyond the capacity the Pens placed him in and was certainly a valuable commodity on the market (like Jordan Staal). Neal was the kind of winger the Pens wanted and Niskanen could fill in for and be better suited for the role Goligoski was placed in on the Pens roster (like Brandon Sutter). All worked out well, the Stars got what they wanted and needed and so did the Pens. Niskanen has revitilized his career and Neal began lighting up the league beside Malkin, Goose has been stellar for the Stars.

Please folks stop beating this dead horse, it done died long ago

Ignatius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 01:54 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

FWIW, the Pens defense has been pretty terrible after the trade (yes, I know that's not the entire reason, but Goligoski did well stepping in for Letang earlier in that year and probably would've unsat Martin last year as the team's second pairing puckmover) and Goligoski was better than Neal for the rest of the 10-11 season.

I think it's been sort of a lose-lose trade for both, where both teams thought they could afford to plug the holes left and really couldn't. Neal's been the better player for longer though.

struckbyaparkedcar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 02:15 PM
Homegrown Kings
ft. Philly & Lumbus

Don't think it's as black and white as the poll suggests.

The Penguins "won" the trade, because Niskanen proved to be an effective player for them and Neal exploded when they put him with Malkin, but their D was definitely a weakness at times, so they did open up a bit of a hole by losing Goligoski.

Thus hard to call it a robbery even though Pittsburgh got the better player.

Homegrown Kings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 02:20 PM
Sutter16

The Penguins won this trade no doubt. Neal is our best winger. AND we got a pretty good Defensemen in Niskanen.

Sutter16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 02:32 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
shift

vCash: 27750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignatius View Post
Goose has been stellar for the Stars.
Except he hasn't, at all.

piqued is online now   Reply With Quote