HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

AHL Prospect Discussion Thread

Old
11-03-2012, 02:09 AM
CSimpson18

vCash: 500
5 and a game, possible suspension, for playing hockey the right way. Brodin's lucky it was Hall and not Clutterbuck that had him lined up. He'd still be unconscious.

CSimpson18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 02:30 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy Kassian View Post
Wow those were some brutal hits...

I'd be seething if I was a Wild fan
Hall got plastered earlier in the game in his first game back in 7+ months and he's watched teams take liberties with RNH, Eberle, and Schultz IMO he wanted to be the windshield instead of the bug. That said IMO the smart play for Brodin was to let Hall slam into the boards and then try to pick his pocket. Brodin didn't look like he was in much of a hurry to get to the puck from behind the net at first either, had he made a B-line there that hit probably never happens. That said best of luck to him for a speedy recovery.

11-03-2012, 02:57 AM
LSnow

I see Hall still playing reckless as ever. If he is going to hit AHL rookies in the head, i dont want to see any whining when he gets Kronwalled next season.

LSnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 03:30 AM
CSimpson18

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSnow View Post
I see Hall still playing reckless as ever. If he is going to hit AHL rookies in the head, i dont want to see any whining when he gets Kronwalled next season.
Show me evidence that Hall targeted the head. I didn't see it. Brodin allegedly has a broken collarbone. He appears to have reached at the last second so any contact to his head, if there was some, was his own fault. If Hall gets Kronwalled I and other Oiler fans will say he should protect himself better. Same applies to this situation and Brodin.

That said, I hope Brodin heals better than I did. I broke my left collarbone 6 times, 4 in hockey. Never was the same again.

CSimpson18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 03:36 AM
The Ders

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSnow View Post
1) didn't hit his head. not even a debate really.
2) reckless? he checked someone. do you know what that word means?

The Ders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 06:42 AM
Hynh

After looking up the rules, it's complete garbage that Hall got called for what he did. Keep in mind this the AHL rule book, not the NHL.

Head hits in the AHL don't allow for major penalties. The only options are minors or match penalties and the section for a match penalty clearly states that a player must either attempt to injure or deliberately injure the other player. To me, that's the Cooke on Savard type hit, where the head is picked. You can't reasonably say Hall did that.

If the ref thought the violation was head contact then it should only have been a minor. If they thought is was charging (the only other possible violation) then it should have been a major with no game misconduct (as the injury was a collar bone and not the head/face).

Hynh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 08:43 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

I haven't done this for a while so here we go:
Marlies @ Abbotsford, round 2. - Friday, Nov 2, 2012.

Marlies Prospect:
Nazem Kadri: Was making things happen again but could get absolutely nothing in return, no goals no assists, and no offence rolling. Towards the end of the game he was clearly frustrated at this and understandable, first it seems like he's snake bitten but fact is the entire team is. One of our Mods pointed this out, Roman Horak who has scored 10 goals has the entire amount of goals our entire team has so far in the season. Regardless Kadri tonight one of the best forwards but NOT the best.
Carter Ashton: After starting out very slow in the season with the team that's struggling, he's been chirping the entire time in the offensive zone. As well made some good hits but he did get CRUSHED at one point by Sven from the Heat in the third, he got back up and was almost got hit again but fortunately side stepped it from sven once again. He showed the durability and covered the puck well. He came to play the entire game except the second half of the second period, that was the only time I noticed he decided to sleep for a bit or something.
Brad Ross: The much anticipated debut finally came for Brad Ross, and none the less in the west where he is from and used to from WHL days. However he was used very minimal, as our coach Dallas Eakins, definitely was trying get the offense rolling after being shutout last night and our prime lines were rolling good and making it happen. It's safe to say he might have had around 4-5 minutes of game time, should tell why I can't comment much, aside from he showed he can bring energy even after he was levelled by a heat player. He got back up and delivered a nice hit and then went back. Welcome to the pro bud.
Joe Colborne: The prospect people forget, thanks to Kadri ofc. Joe Colborne showed up today and was playing his best game I've seen in a long while. Showing why he was the player of the month in October 2011. Hands down the best player tonight for the Marlies and was making things happen in the best line for our team. Won face-offs, covered the puck very well in the o-zone, player solid defensively and also made tape to tape passes for tons of shot. However like our team got absolutely zero in return. A promising sign from a player who was ripping the AHL but couldn't continue due to his wrist/hand injuries.
Jake Gardiner: Wasn't his best game as he wasn't exactly as dominant but this is the common case with the entire team so enough said. He was quietly getting things down and was getting some shots in on the powerplay while being at the point with Kostka, however Heat PK = Wall.
Jesse Blacker: He's getting adjusted to the big minutes that Eakins is giving him but you can see it's taking him some time. He's playing the puck more aggressively and I guess it will come as he gets used to the AHL pace and was nice on the powerplay but not as much as one expects from him offensively. Made some silly mistake one on the Heat Blueline, fell and gave the puck to Akim Aliu for a breakaway which Mark Owuya stopped fortunately.
Mark Owuya: Not a bad first game but could be better for sure. He was a bit sporadic at times but he kept his calm and stopped a lot of rushes that the marlies gave up. Heat was good at crashing the net, as well he at few points mishandled the puck. I can see his position and his butterfly style being praised but the team in front of him generally wasn't that great tonight so I won't exactly use this as a judging point but approve he definitely came to play tonight. Afterall there was a few questionable goals, two in my mind that really weren't as his fault more than the team and the refs.
Korbian Holzer:As usual, the silent and effective defensemen. Did his job and no complaints.
Greg Mckegg: He was making some sparks at first but really cooled down towards the end, I expect more from him as he is capable of making offense out of no where but I think I made my point on why I won't him too accountable.

Heat Prospects
Sven Baertschi:I'll be honest the past two games in my opinion wasn't his best but he definitely got his work down and done. I really like this guy. However he wasn't the best for the Heat tonight. Promising player for the flames and they should definitely be a happy franchise to have their hands with him.
Roman Horak: Alright 3 goals, a natural hat-trick, do we need to say more who was the best player on the ice? 10 goals in the AHL season, however 2 goals were VERY impressive for me, one tipped in front of the net, one was a brilliant shot and the final one was when the entire Heat team crashed into the net and Horak went top cheddar as Owuya was down for the count. He was something and unstoppable. As mentioned at one point he had goals which the entire Marlies team has this entire AHL season.
Max Reinhart: Not a bad game for him IMO, however he was silent until the second period where the entire Heat team decided to show up after a dominant first period from the marlies. However towards the third period he disappeared again, wasn't anything bad but nothing good either.
Leland Irving: Was damn impressive at times, the most memorable was when he was JUST able to reach out with his right leg to stop Joe colborne on getting his first goal of the season, on a wrap around. He was quiet but was nicely able to save the Heat, helping them get win as he stopped us big time in the first period where we were just spinning circles.
T.J. Brodie: He wasn't bad but he wasn't great either, made some good moves in the blue line during the heat powerplay.

Breen and lamb didn't catch my eyes aside from them just stepping in during the scrum as tension rose.

That's my recap folks hope you enjoyed it.

11-03-2012, 09:05 AM
Huffman

It's hard to tell if from the replays if it was a hit to the head. Hall clearly left his from what I can tell though.

Huffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 09:35 AM
CowbellConray

What I dont like about the Hall hit is you can see it was him throwing his whole body into the check. If Brodin wasnt there he would have gone 5 row up into the stands with the way he threw himself at him. Finish your check the right way by hitting his body and crunching him into the boards. Not go after the upper half of his shoulder and near his head with your back.

Hall plays like he doesnt know that people may react later in the game. Guy reminds me of patrick kaleta in that he just doesnt care. It can be a good and a bad thing but for a guy with Hall's skills I would be afraid someone is going to go after him.

CowbellConray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 09:57 AM
Tuomaz

I think Hall is just not that smart. He runs all over ice getting knocked down on his ass and doesn't know better. He will never be a star player with that level of IQ.

Tuomaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 10:03 AM
whooers

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoivu9 View Post
I don't know about that. The youtube video isn't great but I wouldn't be shocked if Taylor is sat down a few games.
Jesus... it was a good hard hit, when did hockey fans become such pansies. Unbelievable this watered down non-contact league everybody wants to watch nowadays

whooers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 10:45 AM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Moleman View Post
Can anyone attribute Roman Horak's early success to anything? I imagine it must be a combination of timing, skill, teammates and luck, but is there anything particular to add? His goal count is just ridiculous.
Confidence pure and simple. The moves he is making now he was able last year but didn't have the confidence to as he was a 4th line plug on the Flames, but being in the top 6 on Heat has done wonders his confidence.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 10:46 AM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowbellConray View Post
What I dont like about the Hall hit is you can see it was him throwing his whole body into the check. If Brodin wasnt there he would have gone 5 row up into the stands with the way he threw himself at him. Finish your check the right way by hitting his body and crunching him into the boards. Not go after the upper half of his shoulder and near his head with your back.

Hall plays like he doesnt know that people may react later in the game. Guy reminds me of patrick kaleta in that he just doesnt care. It can be a good and a bad thing but for a guy with Hall's skills I would be afraid someone is going to go after him.
I'm actually glad to see Hall crushing people. If he adds that element to his game, he's going to be a superstar player.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 10:50 AM
SmellOfVictory

vCash: 114
Awesome, thanks for the recap Leafs Rocket. I even got a chance to watch the game this time, but it's always good to see the perspective of another watcher (especially a fan of the other team).

SmellOfVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 10:51 AM
Tim Murray
HoF Turd Shiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by whooers View Post
Jesus... it was a good hard hit, when did hockey fans become such pansies. Unbelievable this watered down non-contact league everybody wants to watch nowadays
Players are bigger, faster, and stronger these days. However, their skulls haven't become any thicker. So brains are getting scrambled and careers ruined.

It simply can't be like the old days. Get used to it. It's only going to get "worse".

Tim Murray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 10:56 AM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuomaz View Post
I think Hall is just not that smart. He runs all over ice getting knocked down on his ass and doesn't know better. He will never be a star player with that level of IQ.
He's already a star player in the league.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 10:57 AM

Quote:
already a star

1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 11:17 AM
Tuomaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
He's already a star player in the league.
126 49 46 95. Good player but not a star and will never be if he keeps going like this.

Old
11-03-2012, 11:22 AM
worraps
Acceptance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
I'm actually glad to see Hall crushing people. If he adds that element to his game, he's going to be a superstar player.
As he fills out it's going to become a bigger and bigger part of his game. If he can put on another 10-15 pounds, with his acceleration, he is going to hurt some people.

I feel just awful for Brodin but it was a clean hit to the shoulder. I initially thought it was a charge but after watching the video a few more times they were both chasing a loose puck and Hall angled towards Brodin when he realized he was going to get beat to it.

Given that Brodin just made contact with the puck as Hall made contact to his shoulder it wasn't even interference.

worraps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 11:24 AM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Sidney Cosby

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
http://www.aftonbladet.se/webbtv/spo...cle15716490.ab

(Video of the Hall hit on Brodin)

Reckless hit.

11-03-2012, 11:24 AM
worraps
Acceptance

Quote:
126 49 46 95. Good player but not a star and will never be if he keeps going like this.
Star players aren't always Lady Byng candidates:

Old
11-03-2012, 11:26 AM
worraps
Acceptance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
http://www.aftonbladet.se/webbtv/spo...cle15716490.ab

(Video of the Hall hit on Brodin)

Reckless hit.
It wasn't a charge and it wasn't a head shot.

What you call a reckless hit, the rule book calls a hit.

Old
11-03-2012, 11:26 AM
TS Quint

Quote:
Originally Posted by whooers View Post
Take it easy they are just messing with you. There's no way they can see this as a dirty hit. They post that it was dirty and then laugh at your response. Brodin's finding out real quick he's not in Sweeden any more.

TS Quint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 11:38 AM
4EDM14OIL93

Quote:
Originally Posted by perry2perry View Post
It's hard to tell if from the replays if it was a hit to the head. Hall clearly left his from what I can tell though.
He didn't leave his feet at all if thats what you meant to say...

4EDM14OIL93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 12:01 PM
Tuomaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post
Star players aren't always Lady Byng candidates:

This is not what I meant because Hall is far from physical I meant he is the one who will get destroyed and gets career ending injury if he keeps going like a blind chicken from place to place.