HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Would we be better with Kane or Price?

View Poll Results: Would we be better with Kane or Price?
Patrick Kane 18 51.43%
Carey Price 10 28.57%
About the Same 7 20.00%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old
10-14-2012, 12:27 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

vCash: 500
Would we be better with Kane or Price?

Another poll from the polls board.

I think Kane.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 12:40 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

factor in the age of Price compared to Luongo, I think this is close...

as player, I would want both. In terms of a trade, MTL should have to add

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 01:21 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Gotta say I would think about this one ,,,,

Price would be longterm solution to G situation for Hawks going forward next decade

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 01:40 PM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

To me this one is not that close.

Yes Kane is a fine young player, but he isn't a top 10 forward in the league and his game is 1 dimensional, he isn't physical, doesn't play defense and won't win FO. He can score points and maybe reach a PPG level but 1. The Hawks aren't short on scoring or short on talented forwards in their system, by all accounts TT is Kane v2.0

Price however is a top 10 player at his position and plays a position the Hawks are in desperate need of now and don't have any real prospects in the system. Plus G is a more important position then forward anyhow. How many times have we seen a goalie carry a team in the play-offs.

I love Kane but if we had to sacrifice him to get a legit #1 G for now and the future, where do I sign.

Sir Psycho T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 01:44 PM
Cullksinikers

I'd throw in a pick or two to also got a guy like Plekanec to make up for our offensive production taking a step back.

Cullksinikers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 01:49 PM
brtriad

Send a message via AIM to brtriad
Carey Price is a top three goalie and will be for a long, long time. I'll give him the edge.

brtriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 07:45 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Kane.

I was going to have a long post explaining why.. but it basically boils down to goaltending not being as important, league-wide, as game-breaking forwards. Hossa's going to be 34 in January, Patrick Sharp's going to be 31 in December.. Price vs. Kane maybe an "easy" choice for some now, but in 2-3 years, I'd guarantee you would undo that trade if you could.

Chicago doesn't need an elite goaltender like Price. Maybe they need someone better than Crawford (TBD, IMO), but they don't need a guy that's going to cost them 6.5M per year. Chicago just needs a guy that won't lose them games, not a guy like Price who'll stand out his head most nights. It would be a nice luxury, but a luxury Chicago doesn't need and not at the price of their most impactful offensive player.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 01:32 AM
Pie Man
A-Pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by brtriad View Post
Carey Price is a top three goalie and will be for a long, long time. I'll give him the edge.
He is not a top 3 goalie I think he is overrated as I think he is nothing special, I think Kane is much better for your guys.

Pie Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 05:39 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

He is a Top 3 goalie

I can do this too but yes, I think this is true

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 07:11 AM
Trance Kuja
Global Moderator
2nd Coming.

We're better off with Kane. The Hawks have already proven they don't need a stud goalie to win the Cup. Not to mention it's not like Crawford is chopped liver. Last season the goalies were dreadful, yes, but I believe in Crawford. I think he can return to form. Just like Kane. His down year will prove to be an aberration.

And Price is as overrated as Dubnyk is underrated.

Trance Kuja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 08:18 AM
hockeydoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
Kane.

I was going to have a long post explaining why.. but it basically boils down to goaltending not being as important, league-wide, as game-breaking forwards. Hossa's going to be 34 in January, Patrick Sharp's going to be 31 in December.. Price vs. Kane maybe an "easy" choice for some now, but in 2-3 years, I'd guarantee you would undo that trade if you could.

Chicago doesn't need an elite goaltender like Price. Maybe they need someone better than Crawford (TBD, IMO), but they don't need a guy that's going to cost them 6.5M per year. Chicago just needs a guy that won't lose them games, not a guy like Price who'll stand out his head most nights. It would be a nice luxury, but a luxury Chicago doesn't need and not at the price of their most impactful offensive player.
I agree with these thoughts, especially the way the Hawks are built. I do think Price is a long term answer in net but I'll take the high end forward for a comparable cap hit.

hockeydoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 09:05 AM
Hawkaholic

Price for me, If Kane had any kind of defensive game, like Hossa, this wouldn't be debatable.

Our offense can survive without Kane, and with Price in net. Kane can only score so many goals/assists to make up for the average goaltending we've had lately.

Hawkaholic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 10:24 AM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
In this case, yeah, Price makes this team better.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 11:57 AM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
In this case, yeah, Price makes this team better.
Yeah,

Price > Luongo
Hossa > Kane

Hawkaholic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 12:34 PM
coldsteelonice84

Only way it would happen is if Price has a brutal couple months to start the year, then maybe Montreal would run him out of town.

Old
10-15-2012, 01:46 PM
unbridledid

Price has turned the corner and they made the right move by trading away Halak.... I just wish would could have taken him in 2005.... but he went at 5 and we took Skillet at 7.

Last edited by unbridledid: 10-15-2012 at 01:47 PM. Reason: touch up
unbridledid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 07:01 PM
brtriad

Send a message via AIM to brtriad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie Man View Post
He is not a top 3 goalie I think he is overrated as I think he is nothing special, I think Kane is much better for your guys.
I advise you stick to being a Blues fan then. Brian Elliot FTW.

brtriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 01:14 AM
Pie Man
A-Pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by brtriad View Post
I advise you stick to being a Blues fan then. Brian Elliot FTW.
Brian Elliot is not a top goalie, last season was a super fluke for him. But how can you say Price is a top 3 goalies when obviously those 3 spot belong to Lundqvist, Quick and Rinne? dont let the Habs media fool ya, Price aint that good.

Pie Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 06:07 AM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie Man View Post
Brian Elliot is not a top goalie, last season was a super fluke for him. But how can you say Price is a top 3 goalies when obviously those 3 spot belong to Lundqvist, Quick and Rinne? dont let the Habs media fool ya, Price aint that good.
Price isn't a top 3 goalie, he is very arguably a top 5 goalie and certainly a top 10 goalie.

Don't let you hate for the Habs blind you Price is a very good goalie and will continue to be for the next decade or so.

Old
10-16-2012, 06:19 AM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

Quote:
Kane.

What hockey do you watch?

When, other then being the most elite players (ie Gretzky or Mario) do forwards matter more then goalies or have a greater impact?

They don't, not only in the semantics but in obvious results. Simply a forward can't have the same impact because he is on the ice for at most half the game while a goalie is out there every minute. I could easily list more teams that won a Cup because of outstanding goaltending with average forward play then you could list teams to win the Cup with average goaltending and outstanding forward play. Why is the Conn Smythe winner so often a goalie.

Look around the league at those elite forwards, Stamkos didn't even make the play-offs, because of bad goaltending, Malkin, Kane and Toews, and the Sedins lost in the first round, Giroux in the 2nd. Hell the team that finished last in GPG won the Cup.

Goaltending will always be the most important factor in a hockey team, can you win around it, yes in very rare circumstances with a overloaded team and a few breaks, however more often then not you need a good goalie to win, you don't need a gamebreaking forward.

Old
10-16-2012, 07:50 AM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Psycho T View Post

When, other then being the most elite players (ie Gretzky or Mario) do forwards matter more then goalies or have a greater impact?

They don't, not only in the semantics but in obvious results. Simply a forward can't have the same impact because he is on the ice for at most half the game while a goalie is out there every minute. I could easily list more teams that won a Cup because of outstanding goaltending with average forward play then you could list teams to win the Cup with average goaltending and outstanding forward play. Why is the Conn Smythe winner so often a goalie.

Look around the league at those elite forwards, Stamkos didn't even make the play-offs, because of bad goaltending, Malkin, Kane and Toews, and the Sedins lost in the first round, Giroux in the 2nd. Hell the team that finished last in GPG won the Cup.

Goaltending will always be the most important factor in a hockey team, can you win around it, yes in very rare circumstances with a overloaded team and a few breaks, however more often then not you need a good goalie to win, you don't need a gamebreaking forward.
Given the opening line, and then the bolded, I just stopped reading. What hockey have you been watching since the lockout?

Old
10-16-2012, 07:59 AM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

And, for the record, the Conn Smythe Trophy has been handed out 47 times in it's history and a goaltender has only won it 16 times.

Old
10-16-2012, 08:06 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Psycho T View Post

What are you talking about? We won the Cup w/ avg. goaltending and outstanding forwards...so did Pittsburgh. That's 2 in the last four years...and I can't see Luongo having the type of playoff performance as Quick or Thomas.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 08:15 AM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Not to mention, the last two Cup winners (Boston and LA), where the goaltenders for each team won the Conn Smythe, both had/have outstanding depth and above-average top-end talent, both on defense and at forward.

I can't remember a team, since the lockout, that was carried by their goaltender on route to winning the Cup. Cam Ward maybe? But that's about it. In 2011, Boston very easily could have lost to Tampa Bay if not for Tyler Seguin's performance in the ECF and then in the Cup final, it was scoring that carried Boston past Vancouver, against a percieved "elite" goaltender in Luongo.

I mean, really, you need not look any further than Phoenix to understand how unimportant goaltending is. If you play a disciplined, defense-first system, any goaltender can be made to look Vezina-worthy.

Old
10-16-2012, 09:55 AM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
I mean, really, you need not look any further than Phoenix to understand how unimportant goaltending is. If you play a disciplined, defense-first system, any goaltender can be made to look Vezina-worthy.
Like who? Which goalies nominated for the Vezina since the lockout have been products of their system and not extremely talented?