HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Mtl-Edmonton proposal

Closed Thread

Old
09-19-2003, 12:54 PM
the jpageman

vCash: 500
Mtl-Edmonton proposal

Oilers may look to dump some salary when the season starts
so

to Mtl: Ryan Smyth

to Edmonton: Bulis, 2nd round pick,3rd pick

it doesnt look to good from edmonton's side. But thats what happens to this team year after year

Old
09-19-2003, 01:01 PM
Mike8

If Edmonton needs to clear up some salary, they move Laraque or Moreau. Not a chance they move Smyth for this type of package.

Old
09-19-2003, 01:08 PM
dem

Oilers signed Smyth to a nice contract... why would they move him?

If they were to move him they could do alot better than that.

Old
09-19-2003, 01:18 PM
NWT Habs Fan

I get a lot of Oiler coverage here out west and he is the heart and soul of this team right now. Kevin Lowe made it no secret that they were going to do everything they could to re-sign him and keep him as an Oiler. I just can't see the Oil parting with him (it would be like a Hab trade proposal involving Saku).

Old
09-19-2003, 01:19 PM
NWT Habs Fan

I get a lot of Oiler coverage here out west and he is the heart and soul of this team right now. Kevin Lowe made it no secret that they were going to do everything they could to re-sign him and keep him as an Oiler. I just can't see the Oil parting with him (it would be like a Hab trade proposal involving Saku). It would also be a major PR blunder that the team just doesn't need considering the current status of the contract negotiations with another popular player, Comrie, and the trading away of Carter and Ninimaa (sp?) at the deadline.

Old
09-19-2003, 01:21 PM
RichardZednik#20

Thats a stupid proposal. Smyth played for team Canada for a reason you know! Would you trade Smyth for that package if you were Edmonton? If you answerd yes, well.... And if you have money problem, would you trade Moreau and let say Cross or you would trade Smyth. On top of that they already lost Marchant and the only reason they want to clear salary is to be able to sign Comrie. They would not trade Symth to be able to sign Comrie because Smyth is better.

Old
09-19-2003, 11:32 PM
tinyzombies

Who would even take Moreau? Laracque would be a dump. Smyth and Comrie would bring a return tho and neither one is gonna win them a cup anytime soon. I don't see what the hype is all about with either of them. .. seriously

Old
09-19-2003, 11:48 PM
tritone

Never Happen

Quote:
Originally Posted by the jpageman
Oilers may look to dump some salary when the season starts
so

to Mtl: Ryan Smyth

to Edmonton: Bulis, 2nd round pick,3rd pick

it doesnt look to good from edmonton's side. But thats what happens to this team year after year
If the Oilers trade Smyth they will have lost the most important player on the team, I honestly don't think Bulis has anywhere near the same impact as Smyth and throwing in a 2nd round just doesn't cut it . I'm not sure about the contract Smyth signed recently but for a guy who made Team Canada in the 2002 Olympics (WE WON GOLD BOOYEAH!) I am pretty sure he's not making near the salary he's worth in today's inflated player salary market . My guess is He took a lower salary because he actually likes playing in Edmonton and I don't think it's a smart move for any team to try and rip him away from home . Smyth won't be as good himself in Montreal and Bulis will not be as good as Smyth in Edmonton. I see this as a lose/lose situation for both teams.

I'd love to see Ryan Smyth here in HABLAND but I don't think you should hold your breath . It's cold enough in a Montreal winter to turn blue without doing so .

Closed Thread