HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

C Aleksander Barkov - Tampere Tappara, FEL (2013 Draft) - Part II

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-15-2013, 01:11 PM
  #751
Oan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 700
vCash: 500
Or, as critics would say, he is just incredibly lucky since he just keeps on getting those lucky rebounds, and doesn't score highlight reel wristers like Drouin & MacKinnon, or something like that.

Oan is offline  
Old
01-15-2013, 01:17 PM
  #752
Loffer
Registered User
 
Loffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,108
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oan View Post
Or, as critics would say, he is just incredibly lucky since he just keeps on getting those lucky rebounds, and doesn't score highlight reel wristers like Drouin & MacKinnon, or something like that.
I think this is a valid concern regarding his offensive potential. All his goals seem to be those garbage goals. It seems he is not much of a goal scorer, nothing like Armia.

Loffer is offline  
Old
01-15-2013, 01:22 PM
  #753
Gaps
Registered User
 
Gaps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,598
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loffer View Post
I think this is a valid concern regarding his offensive potential. All his goals seem to be those garbage goals. It seems he is not much of a goal scorer, nothing like Armia.
You're being ridiculous as usual. Being good in front of the net and putting the rebounds in is extremely important. Armia's moody and inconsistent despite his sniping skills and occasional determination to score those goals. Besides, Barkov's shot is far from bad, he just doesn't use it as often as he should.

Gaps is offline  
Old
01-15-2013, 01:24 PM
  #754
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked
 
theIceWookie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 6,003
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loffer View Post
I think this is a valid concern regarding his offensive potential. All his goals seem to be those garbage goals. It seems he is not much of a goal scorer, nothing like Armia.
It would be a valid concern if all his goals were like that. They aren't. He's displayed a pretty damn good shot for some of his goals.

It would also be a concern if it was a spurt of goals that led to the bulk of his total points/goals. Also not the case.

Barkov consistently gets goal's like this because he knows where to place himself. That would be a boon for him in teh NHL.

theIceWookie is offline  
Old
01-15-2013, 01:25 PM
  #755
YARR123
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,565
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loffer View Post
I think this is a valid concern regarding his offensive potential. All his goals seem to be those garbage goals. It seems he is not much of a goal scorer, nothing like Armia.
Obviously he's not a goal scorer like Armia. But somebody has to score the dirty goals and I know scouts love the ability to score dirty goals, because that's how goals are scored very often, especially in NA (and this is even more true come playoffs).

Imo I don't see why he couldn't score 20-30 goals in the NHL, maybe even more. That might not make him a "goal scorer" in itself but doesn't mean he's a bad goal scorer.

YARR123 is offline  
Old
01-15-2013, 01:26 PM
  #756
YARR123
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,565
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinnishKulemin View Post

Barkov consistently gets goal's like this because he knows where to place himself. That would be a boon for him in teh NHL.
Pretty much this. And I would add that he also has the size and the strength to go to those scoring areas without getting knocked down or pushed aside.

YARR123 is offline  
Old
01-15-2013, 01:31 PM
  #757
MBauer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: MI
Country: United States
Posts: 751
vCash: 500
Who cares if he scores garbage rebound goals, a goal is a goal, it's not like he has no shooting ability. He may not be a sniper like Armia but he still has 5 more goals then him and is 2 years younger, that's what counts. Anyone questioning the offensive potential of a 17 year old who is the best scorer on his pro team should slap themselves. Him picking up all these rebound goals just shows that he is smart and knows where to go to finish plays.

MBauer is offline  
Old
01-15-2013, 02:29 PM
  #758
thomast
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,617
vCash: 500
Barkov has 2G+3A=5P in 4 games after WJC and he is on 4 game point streak. It's incredible how consistent Barkov is for guy of that age. It's very typical that U20 players have deep slumps at some point of long season.

thomast is offline  
Old
01-15-2013, 06:54 PM
  #759
Jussi
Dat Times Square
 
Jussi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Finland
Posts: 44,398
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomast View Post
Barkov has 2G+3A=5P in 4 games after WJC and he is on 4 game point streak. It's incredible how consistent Barkov is for guy of that age. It's very typical that U20 players have deep slumps at some point of long season.
He already had his slump. Unfortunately it was at the WJC...

Jussi is offline  
Old
01-16-2013, 02:25 AM
  #760
urho
Registered User
 
urho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Oulu
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,705
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
He already had his slump. Unfortunately it was at the WJC...
Well, for me it's okay. If Barkov's slump is 7 points in 6 games against the best in the world U20 when he's 17 himself, it's not that bad.

Him scoring those dirty goals is extremely promising for me. Positioning and quick hands will work in any league. Not saying he's Teemu Selänne but if you look up The Finnish Flash goals for example, you'll see that a big part of them look just very easy. For some, goalscoring is easy. Let's hope Barkov will be one of them.

urho is offline  
Old
01-16-2013, 02:51 AM
  #761
Jaykay
Kuemperpedic
 
Jaykay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 3,116
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbauer View Post
him picking up all these rebound goals just shows that he is smart and knows where to go to finnish plays.
ftfy

Jaykay is offline  
Old
01-16-2013, 04:35 AM
  #762
Jeepers Creeper
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Helsinki
Country: Finland
Posts: 3,213
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by urho View Post
Well, for me it's okay. If Barkov's slump is 7 points in 6 games against the best in the world U20 when he's 17 himself, it's not that bad.
Those stats are inflated since most of them came from the relegation round games against weaker opponents.

Jeepers Creeper is offline  
Old
01-16-2013, 04:51 AM
  #763
thomast
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,617
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepers Creeper View Post
Those stats are inflated since most of them came from the relegation round games against weaker opponents.
3games 3points against tough countries... Barkov looked better against sweden than against Latvia. Looked tired in both games. So your point is worthless.

thomast is offline  
Old
01-16-2013, 05:04 AM
  #764
urho
Registered User
 
urho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Oulu
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,705
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepers Creeper View Post
Those stats are inflated since most of them came from the relegation round games against weaker opponents.
He was Finland's best point producer against "real" hockey countries along with Teräväinen, Armia and Salomäki if I remember correctly. PPG as thomast already stated.

urho is offline  
Old
01-16-2013, 05:54 AM
  #765
IFK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 587
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by urho View Post
He was Finland's best point producer against "real" hockey countries along with Teräväinen, Armia and Salomäki if I remember correctly. PPG as thomast already stated.
Yes and when people start talking points, they should look also other prospect. Finland suck's badly to team and Barkov wasn't also in his best, still PPG.

Drouin was in his best and he has only 1+0 in 4 game against tough countries.

Same with Lindholm and MacKinnon.

Barkov 3 games 0+3=3 (2 assist against real tough country Sweden)
Lindholm 5 games 2+0=2 (1 goal against 3 real tough country)
Drouin 4 games 1+0=1
MacKinnon 4 games 0+0=0

IFK is offline  
Old
01-16-2013, 06:26 AM
  #766
Jeepers Creeper
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Helsinki
Country: Finland
Posts: 3,213
vCash: 500
He wasn't as impressive as Lindholm and Drouin regardless of the fact that he scored a higher point rate against "tougher" opponents. Posting the stats is just sugar coating it. The effort they put in out there, Lindholm's and Drouin's were far more imperssive that Barkov's.

Jeepers Creeper is offline  
Old
01-16-2013, 06:35 AM
  #767
IFK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 587
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepers Creeper View Post
He wasn't as impressive as Lindholm and Drouin regardless of the fact that he scored a higher point rate against "tougher" opponents. Posting the stats is just sugar coating it. The effort they put in out there, Lindholm's and Drouin's were far more imperssive that Barkov's.
Yes, but people talking Barkov's offensive potential. WJC was only one tournament and Barkov wasn't at even close in his best (MacKinnon wasn't ether in his best and didn't get much icetime), Lindholm and Drouin was. Still Barkov beat's them points wise.

Barkov has now in FEL almost PPG and don't be surprised when he get a chance to play EHT and he has also chance to play 3rd line center in Finnish WC team.

IFK is offline  
Old
01-16-2013, 06:48 AM
  #768
Sharpdressedman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Country: Finland
Posts: 2
vCash: 500
Barkov was excellent against Sweden, he really improved from difficult games against Czech Republic and Switzerland (and he wasn't poor in those games!!). But when Finland lost that crucial game, many people here in Finland say that "Barkov was poor and tired". If you saw Barkovs performance in this tournament and say something like that, you probably haven't seen many of his games in SM-liiga. He is not so visible all the time, but he makes little things properly, like a 37 years old veteran. And when he gets a little opportunity, opponent team is in big troubles.

Barkov is better scorer than Armia in SM-liiga because Sashas hockey sense is in different level. He can find the open slots where to score these "garbage" goals. Armia is better shooter of course, and he really scores when gets opportunity, but that's all. Barkov has that crucial ability too, but it's only part of his comprehensive package.

Sharpdressedman is offline  
Old
01-16-2013, 06:50 AM
  #769
JFG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Country: Sweden
Posts: 1,286
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFK View Post
Yes, but people talking Barkov's offensive potential. WJC was only one tournament and Barkov wasn't at even close in his best (MacKinnon wasn't ether in his best and didn't get much icetime), Lindholm and Drouin was. Still Barkov beat's them points wise.

Barkov has now in FEL almost PPG and don't be surprised when he get a chance to play EHT and he has also chance to play 3rd line center in Finnish WC team.
And you know this how?

JFG is offline  
Old
01-16-2013, 06:58 AM
  #770
thomast
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,617
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpdressedman View Post
Barkov was excellent against Sweden, he really improved from difficult games against Czech Republic and Switzerland (and he wasn't poor in those games!!). But when Finland lost that crucial game, many people here in Finland say that "Barkov was poor and tired". If you saw Barkovs performance in this tournament and say something like that, you probably haven't seen many of his games in SM-liiga. He is not so visible all the time, but he makes little things properly, like a 37 years old veteran. And when he gets a little opportunity, opponent team is in big troubles.

Barkov is better scorer than Armia in SM-liiga because Sashas hockey sense is in different level. He can find the open slots where to score these "garbage" goals. Armia is better shooter of course, and he really scores when gets opportunity, but that's all. Barkov has that crucial ability too, but it's only part of his comprehensive package.
Barkov wasn't even close at excellent at the game against sweden. Barkov played alot of PK in that game and seemed exhausted against sweden. Barkov was solid and great defensively but didn't stand out but neither did Lindholm who wasn't as good as Barkov in that game. Barkov was probably best player for finland in that game but wasn't even close at his best.

thomast is offline  
Old
01-16-2013, 07:10 AM
  #771
Tuomaz
Registered User
 
Tuomaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Cape Verde
Posts: 5,211
vCash: 500
Armia was better than Barkov in the Sweden game.

Tuomaz is offline  
Old
01-16-2013, 07:21 AM
  #772
thomast
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,617
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepers Creeper View Post
He wasn't as impressive as Lindholm and Drouin regardless of the fact that he scored a higher point rate against "tougher" opponents. Posting the stats is just sugar coating it. The effort they put in out there, Lindholm's and Drouin's were far more imperssive that Barkov's.
How was Drouin and Lindholm defensively compared to Barkov or in overall game?

Drouin was pretty suprise pick from HC and Steven Spott and little bit became behind the tree. Suprised all without any expectations was bright spot for team Canada. Supriser like that will get some people in his bandwagon pretty easily.

Lindholm was pretty unknown for NA people and in other posters before WJC. Only swedes knew something about him. He was on the radar in top 10 but people wasn't expecting much from him except for swedes. He played pretty good WJC as did whole swedish team.

Barkov came into WJC with alot of expectations. People expected him
to dominate like he wants and control the game like man among the boys. People expected him to be one of the best players on strong finnish team. People saw that Team failed so Barkov failed with the team in their eyes. The truth is that Barkov was the most hard working C on team finland. He had to kill stupid penalties which were taken by his team mates in the offensive zone, his linemates couldn't do any cycling game they lost the puck all the time which ended up as long pressure in the defensive zone where he had to work alot. After that he had no
Energy left in the shift. In FEL his linemates aren't as useless and he doesen't have to do everything like in this WJC team.

Put Barkov in team sweden with better linemates and much better cycling game and Barkov would be one of the top players in this tournament.

In my books Barkov was solid for guy of his age. Worked hard and tried his best. I expected him to be more involved offensively but with that team and linemates, workload i understand why he looked tired.

I wouldn't put much stock for the WJC's. Right now Barkov is on a hot streak in FEL and he'll be on top discussion for the draft.

thomast is offline  
Old
01-16-2013, 07:23 AM
  #773
thomast
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,617
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuomaz View Post
Armia was better than Barkov in the Sweden game.
Watch the game again and count how many times Armia lost the puck in the offensive zone. How he ruined finland chance to come back by taking stupid penalty in the offensive zone. Armia scored couple goals but otherwise in actual game Armia was bad.

thomast is offline  
Old
01-16-2013, 07:31 AM
  #774
Tuomaz
Registered User
 
Tuomaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Cape Verde
Posts: 5,211
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomast View Post
Watch the game again and count how many times Armia lost the puck in the offensive zone. How he ruined finland chance to come back by taking stupid penalty in the offensive zone. Armia scored couple goals but otherwise in actual game Armia was bad.
Doesn't matter. Hockey is a goal-scoring game and Armia gave Finland a chance.

Tuomaz is offline  
Old
01-16-2013, 07:48 AM
  #775
thomast
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,617
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuomaz View Post
Doesn't matter. Hockey is a goal-scoring game and Armia gave Finland a chance.
Armia lost the puck in one goal in the offensive zone which ended up goal against, Armia took stupid offensive zone penalty on the PP when finland was trailing by 1 goal which ended up as Emil Molin shooting the puck in the goal which killed the game. If you include all the offensive turnovers Armia had an bad game. He gave the chance and ruined it by his bad plays.

Hockey is a goalscoring game but also defending the goal game. If you score 5 and your the reason of 6 goal against you have lost and win is all what matters.


Last edited by thomast: 01-16-2013 at 07:55 AM.
thomast is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:25 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.