HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hockey Central Evaluates Leafs

Old
10-18-2012, 03:22 PM
FreeBird
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Hockey Central Evaluates Leafs

McLean and Kypreos along with Millard featured the TML's as their Team of the day, and the verdict is in. They both picked the Leafs as dead last in the East sighting their lack of Character, Talent, and Leadership along with suspect Defence and Goaltending as reasons.

They quoted Shannon as saying a deal in principle for Luongo has been worked out, nothing can be finalized untill CBA is intact.

Your learned opinions would be much appreciated.

FreeBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 03:23 PM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

How do they rank the Islanders?

10-18-2012, 03:24 PM
KuleminFan41

Its really unfortunate that 90% of last season gets "forgotten" by the experts. I get it we missed the playoffs but still majority of last season we were in a playoff spot.

KuleminFan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 03:27 PM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBird View Post
McLean and Kypreos along with Millard featured the TML's as their Team of the day, and the verdict is in. They both picked the Leafs as dead last in the East sighting their lack of Character, Talent, and Leadership along with suspect Defence and Goaltending as reasons.

They quoted Shannon as saying a deal in principle for Luongo has been worked out, nothing can be finalized untill CBA is intact.

Sportsnet sucks, and the bottom 9 teams in the east can all be interchangeable TBH

Rangers, Pens, Bruins, Flyers, Caps, and Hurricanes are likely to be the top 6

Devils, Sens, Jets, Sabres, Lightning, Leafs, Panthers, Islanders, and Habs are all average to bad teams who can slot anywehre.

The Podium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 03:28 PM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

They do this to get ratings. They don't even know if there's going to be a season and these guys are making their predictions..

DirtyDion03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 03:28 PM
ACC1224
Steelers 10-5

Quote:

This is like Christmas for you isn't it?

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 03:31 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuleminFan41 View Post
Its really unfortunate that 90% of last season gets "forgotten" by the experts. I get it we missed the playoffs but still majority of last season we were in a playoff spot.
We were out-scoring our problems like crazy. We had an unsustainably high team SH% for half the season. When it invariably crashed back to Earth, so did we. Same thing happened to Minnesota.

7even is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 03:31 PM
MapleLeafsFan4Ever
Go Leafs Go

Unless there is going to be a season and if Burke makes any other moves after a CBA is worked out, then they should at least predict where they think the Maple Leafs will finish in the Eastern Conference standings.

I also agree with KuleminFan41 that for most of the 2011-2012 season the Maple Leafs were in a Playoff position. With the exceptions of Colby Armstrong, Luke Schenn, Joey Crabb, Jonas Gustavsson and Jay Rosehill they didn't lose that many players who made a huge impact on last seasons team. So they still have a great core of that could surprise some teams.

Finally last night on TSN's Quiz Darren Dreger said among the Canadian teams who missed the Playoffs last season, he thought Toronto would be the team to make them.

MapleLeafsFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 03:35 PM
Mr Pringles

Remember that time Maclean worked for Columbus? Yeah... I'll take what he says with a grain of salt, when evaluating teams.

You're talking about a guy, who would of drafted Brassard over Toews, Kessel. He would of taken him with the 2nd overall pick.

Mr Pringles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 03:37 PM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisx101 View Post
Sportsnet sucks, and the bottom 9 teams in the east can all be interchangeable TBH

Rangers, Pens, Bruins, Flyers, Caps, and Hurricanes are likely to be the top 6

Devils, Sens, Jets, Sabres, Lightning, Leafs, Panthers, Islanders, and Habs are all average to bad teams who can slot anywehre.
For me I would have:
Rangers, Pens, Bruins and Flyers as locks.
Hurricanes, Sens, Sabres and Caps as the non locks but still likely to make it.
Devils, Jets, Lightning, Leafs, Panthers, Islanders and Habs out of the playoff picture.
Devils, Lightning and Habs I would say are the most likely to make it out of those 7.

Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

BAhAHAHAHAHA ! I just laughed. Um Islanders say a BIG Hello and hi. Don't get my wrong they got solid players but that management is just digging deeper into the ground and making a cave for the next zombie apocalypse or something.

Drmckool
Truculence!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFS FAN 4 EVER View Post

Finally last night on TSN's Quiz Darren Dreger said among the Canadian teams who missed the Playoffs last season, he thought Toronto would be the team to make them.
Didn't Ferraro say that as well?

Drmckool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 03:38 PM
pspot

One of McKinnon, Jones, Barkov or Monahan, sure!

pspot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 03:38 PM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drmckool View Post
Didn't Ferraro say that as well?
No Ferraro picked Toronto, Dreger picked Edmonton. It was funny though because Ferraro said if they get a goalie they'll make the playoffs or if James Reimer steps up..

Old
10-18-2012, 03:39 PM
Drmckool
Truculence!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspot View Post
One of McKinnon, Jones, Barkov or Monahan, sure!
McKinnon or Jones would not be the worst things to happen to the team. In fact if the Leafs get Jones (since no one will be as bad as Columbus) they'd have a pretty great future at D.

Drmckool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 03:41 PM
hotpaws

vCash: 1500
Rent the barn Burkie and knock these biased haters out one by one .

But on a serious note , while i could see us fininshing anywhere from 8th to 15th this season we're probably in the bottom 3-4 teams at this moment .

hotpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MapleLeafsFan4Ever
Go Leafs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
No Ferraro picked Toronto, Dreger picked Edmonton. It was funny though because Ferraro said if they get a goalie they'll make the playoffs or if James Reimer steps up..
My mistake. I must have been thinking of Dreger saying how he misses hearing from Brian Burke and wants to hear another one of his famous rants.

Old
Pierre Gotye

Nothing really has happened other than the JVR trade, and I don't expect him to be a guy who makes much of splash even playing between Kessel and Lupul. To me he's a slightly bigger just as skilled version of Bozak.

And yes, no reason to get excited about playoff opportunities, the team is young. It desparately needs a guy like Shane Doan.

And I don't think Luongo is the answer.

Pierre Gotye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Sam Slick*

Quote:

Lets look at the 3 individuals....not at "Hockey Central", which I don't watch anyway because they dont ever get anything right.

Kypreos is a tool. He sucked as a player and is an even worse media guy. Maclean is there for ratings. Not much to say about Millard. Its 3 guys that the leafs should not or will not be concerned about.

I am not sure what to think about Loungo except he will be way better than the guys we have plus gives them time for development, which is much needed.

I'll take him. He will ad stability and only forces Burke to go after that center now. Who we give up for him though is key, I can see kadri and Holzer going the other way. Who knows, maybe its a blockbuster going both ways. Kessler would bring some much needed grit and scoring. Imagine Kessel and Kessler on the same line.

Sam Slick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 03:47 PM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFS FAN 4 EVER View Post
My mistake. I must have been thinking of Dreger saying how he misses hearing from Brian Burke and wants to hear another one of his famous rants.
Yeah he did say that but it was two different questions

Old
10-18-2012, 03:48 PM
MapleLeafsFan4Ever
Go Leafs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Slick View Post
I'll take him. He will ad stability and only forces Burke to go after that center now. Who we give up for him though is key, I can see kadri and Holzer going the other way. Who knows, maybe its a blockbuster going both ways. Kessler would bring some much needed grit and scoring. Imagine Kessel and Kessler on the same line.
Even if that did happen Kesler is out until Janurary because of surgery. So if the season starts on November 2 as the NHL wants it to happen, he won't be able to help right away.

Old
10-18-2012, 03:48 PM
FreeBird
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
We were out-scoring our problems like crazy. We had an unsustainably high team SH% for half the season. When it invariably crashed back to Earth, so did we. Same thing happened to Minnesota.
First half can be deceiveing, the intensity and physical play amps up after the new year as the playoff hunt becomes the focus. In the last six weeks it becomes fierce with a take no prisoner alive mentality exsits. Then the Playoffs start and the Refs put their wistles away and it's every man for themselves. It would be almost inhumane for the present Leaf roster to go up against that kind of brutality and come away without casualties.

Old
10-18-2012, 03:49 PM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

oh, well if a titanic hockey mind like Doug Maclean says so...

Volcanologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 03:54 PM
gabeliscious

i would be pretty surprised if the leafs finished dead last in the east. when the leafs absolutely bottomed out and finished 2nd last in the whole league it was surprising. looking at the leafs roster as it stands today in comparison to that team i really dont see it. also are the islanders, habs, florida, buffalo all substantially better then the leafs?

the way i see it assuming there are no more changes;

lupul bozak kessel
jvr grabs kulemin/mac
kadri/frattin lombardi/connolly kulemin/mac
brown mclemment steckel

phaneuf gunnarson
liles komisarek
gardiner holzer

reimer/ scrivens

obviously we have holes but i dont think this is the worst team in the conference.

gabeliscious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 04:00 PM
FreeBird
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Gotye View Post
Nothing really has happened other than the JVR trade, and I don't expect him to be a guy who makes much of splash even playing between Kessel and Lupul. To me he's a slightly bigger just as skilled version of Bozak.

And yes, no reason to get excited about playoff opportunities, the team is young. It desparately needs a guy like Shane Doan.

And I don't think Luongo is the answer.
They mentioned this and said JVR is a good player but no leader, some thing that the Leafs have in abundance.