HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Subban to the Toronto Maple Leafs

Closed Thread

Old
10-16-2012, 06:36 AM
nmbr_24

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Dubinsky View Post
To Toronto:

Subban
Prust

To Montreal:

Phaneuf
2nd

Montreal gets some veteran leadership and grit with Phaneuf plus a good pick in a deep draft. Toronto gets a top pair dman and Burke-guy in Prust.
I hate Montreal and I hate Subban but I would rather have Subban than Phaneuf.

Old
10-16-2012, 06:45 AM
MapleReef

No Kidding

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyAlwaysKnows View Post
ok there

buddy

slow down there

think this through
Really eh? Generational?

Old
10-16-2012, 06:54 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Dubinsky View Post
To Toronto:

Subban
Prust

To Montreal:

Phaneuf
2nd

Montreal gets some veteran leadership and grit with Phaneuf plus a good pick in a deep draft. Toronto gets a top pair dman and Burke-guy in Prust.
You need only take one look through the following thread to realize that this suggestion will likely not find one supporter amongst Habs fans:
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1269381

In addition, I'm not following why in their right minds the Habs would move a guy like Subban to what is arguably, after Boston, their next biggest rival?

On top of it all, Montreal's lack of size and toughness was specifically addressed by signing Prust. That was a key purpose-filled signing.

So you're really talking about two players the Habs have next to zero motivation to move whatsoever.

Usually, these theoretical suggestions need to have some modicum of logic from both sides of the equation.

Old
10-16-2012, 07:12 AM
That

From a Montreal standpoint, not a chance. Subban is already on the same level, if not better than Phaneuf is currently. They just signed Prust to a 4 year deal, why would they move him right away?

From a Toroto standpoint, I don't see it working. Phaneuf is their captain, I don't see why they would move him. Burke has expressed a lot of faith in Phaneuf and I honestly can't see him being moved if Burke's still around.

Value-wise, it's slightly in favour of Toronto. Not that matters much because for Leafs it's a lateral trade at best and for Montreal, it's a downgrade (taking in various factors) and losing a type of forward they desperately lack. The deal just doesn't make sense.

Old
10-16-2012, 08:05 AM
Sundinisagod
next great swede

Bad deal for Mtl. Leafs need to upgrade the 2nd to this year's 1st (which may be a lotto pick in a stacked draft)...that would at least give Mtl some kind of reason to make the trade.

Old
10-16-2012, 08:12 AM
JesusBouillon

Terrible.

Old
10-16-2012, 08:15 AM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

Bad deal for Montreal, slightly lesser player but has the potential to be of much greater claibre which is younger, cheaper and has more then 2 years until UFA status. From Torontos perspective however its not really a great fit as wed have Subban, Gardiner and Gunnarsson as our main D, too young, too inexperienced and no leadership.

Old
10-16-2012, 08:27 AM
internetdotcom
11 + 15 + 19 = 666

Send a message via MSN to internetdotcom Send a message via Yahoo to internetdotcom
As a fan of neither team, and a fan of a division rival of both, I have to say the Habs lose this one, and fairly easily.

Subban > Phaneuf (particularly when you factor in that Subban is younger, cheaper (no way he's getting 6.5 on his next contract), and not UFA in a couple of years

Prust is about equal in value to a 2nd (but of course, as mentioned previously, Montreal signed him for a reason, and to trade him before he's ever played a shift for them makes less than zero sense, not to mention that something like that would make them look VERY bad to future free agents).

I would take Subban (and I'm not particularly a fan of his) over Phaneuf any day of the week. However, to the poster calling him a generational talent, cool your jets. He is nowhere near that. I wouldn't even call Karlsson a generational talent (yet).

Old
10-16-2012, 08:51 AM
Oates2Neely

Subban holds far more value than Phaneuf.

Habs easily decline.

Old
10-16-2012, 08:55 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

No way from a Habs' POV.

Old
10-16-2012, 09:02 AM
Halifaxhab*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
You need only take one look through the following thread to realize that this suggestion will likely not find one supporter amongst Habs fans:
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1269381

In addition, I'm not following why in their right minds the Habs would move a guy like Subban to what is arguably, after Boston, their next biggest rival?

On top of it all, Montreal's lack of size and toughness was specifically addressed by signing Prust. That was a key purpose-filled signing.

So you're really talking about two players the Habs have next to zero motivation to move whatsoever.

Usually, these theoretical suggestions need to have some modicum of logic from both sides of the equation.
this. why the heck move a young guy develloped by the franchise who will be around long term?

And why would Toronto trade their captain?

Old
10-16-2012, 09:17 AM
Tyler Myers

lol am i the only one that thinks phaneuf is worth more than subban? hes only 4 years older and significantly better offensively. Hes already what subban hopes to become. unless subban gets an incredibly reasonable contract (highly unlikely) i wouldnt trade them 1 for 1.

Old
10-16-2012, 09:26 AM
IceDaddy
24 and Counting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Myers View Post
lol am i the only one that thinks phaneuf is worth more than subban? hes only 4 years older and significantly better offensively. Hes already what subban hopes to become. unless subban gets an incredibly reasonable contract (highly unlikely) i wouldnt trade them 1 for 1.
Yes you are. Well you and most Leaf fans.

Phaneuf is 4 years older so that means much closer to UFA. He makes alot of money and isnt that much better offensively. He is also not as good defensively.

As for not trading them 1 for 1, that would be a foolish mistake. But luckily The Habs would never make such a proposal.

Old
10-16-2012, 09:31 AM
Mystifo
No more Mr.FightGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PayItForward View Post
Wouldn't do this from a Habs standpoint.

Well take out Doughty and Weber and I understand why they wouldn't want to trade Subban for the other 2. He's their #1 d-man who's ridiculously underrated around here.
Well seeing how they would not trade him for...

Weber
Doughty

I would say it is less underrated and more overrated. (When I say overrated I am not saying he is bad he is just not the god he is made out to be.)

Old
10-16-2012, 09:32 AM
TheSilencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
I'll do this from Toronto's POV.

You either absolutely love Phaneuf, or you don't like him. I don't really like him. Never have.
+1.
Not a big fan of Phaneuf. Overpaid for what he brings and isn't that good defensively.

Old
10-16-2012, 09:33 AM
Hero
The Corporal Returns

Value is fine, but both teams won't do this.

Leafs need a captain for the club.
Montreal wants to stay younger as they wait for Galy and company to join Patches/Price/Subban in the core of the club.

Old
10-16-2012, 09:36 AM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

Value is probably close, but absolutely no way any habs fan even remotely considers this. If Subban is moved, it wont be for fair value.

Old
10-16-2012, 09:41 AM
TOGuy14

Do not want Subban, and i doubt Burke does either unless his definition of truculence somehow reads "gutless chickensh** puke"

Old
10-16-2012, 09:42 AM
Tyler Myers

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsRock View Post
Yes you are. Well you and most Leaf fans.

Phaneuf is 4 years older so that means much closer to UFA. He makes alot of money and isnt that much better offensively. He is also not as good defensively.

As for not trading them 1 for 1, that would be a foolish mistake. But luckily The Habs would never make such a proposal.

Phaneuf has shown his potential, and I am pretty sure he will hit that mark again when he goes deeper in his prime. Subban and Phaneuf are not top shutdown defensemen, lets be serious here. Btw lmk when Subban scores 40 pts. Phaneuf has been better than him at the same age so I don't see how Subban has a higher ceiling, nor is Phaneuf passed his prime. Phaneuf is miles a head offensively, slightly better defensively and significantly better physically. I haven't even started to talk about his leadership skills and attributes. Subban doesn't even have a contract here, so it would be foolish to even compare contracts/UFA status.

Last edited by Tyler Myers: 10-16-2012 at 09:49 AM.
Old
10-16-2012, 09:42 AM
longchange

As an innocent bystander who can't really stand Phaneuf or Subban there is no way Montreal does this. Subban brings a crapload to the table and once he matures a bit will be one of the most dynamic defensemen in the league. On a side note, the guy who said he'd rather have Subban than Doughty...yikes.

Old
10-16-2012, 09:43 AM
IceDaddy
24 and Counting

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGuy14 View Post
Do not want Subban, and i doubt Burke does either unless his definition of truculence somehow reads "gutless chickensh** puke"

WOW

That makes zero sense.

Old
10-16-2012, 09:45 AM
De Montreal
help

I cant believe people are saying value is close. Subban is worth more than Phaneuf and is a better player too. Younger, cheaper, not a total ********* too.

And the grit argument doesnt even work because we're trading away arguably our grittiest forward.

Old
10-16-2012, 09:53 AM
canadiensnation
Go Habs Go

Since when do the habs need more experience on the back end?

Markov (if healthy)
Kaberle
Gorges
Boullion

Old
10-16-2012, 09:58 AM
IceDaddy
24 and Counting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Myers View Post
Phaneuf has shown his potential, and I am pretty sure he will hit that mark again when he goes deeper in his prime. Subban and Phaneuf are not top shutdown defensemen, lets be serious here. Btw lmk when Subban scores 40 pts. Phaneuf has been better than him at the same age so I don't see how Subban has a higher ceiling, nor is Phaneuf passed his prime. Phaneuf is miles a head offensively, slightly better defensively and significantly better physically. I haven't even started to talk about his leadership skills and attributes. Subban doesn't even have a contract here, so it would be foolish to even compare contracts/UFA status.
Subban - 36 Points
Phaneuf - 44 Points

Subban was + 9
Phaneuf was -10

Subban is younger, cheaper, farther away from UFA, almost as good offensively and better defensively. These are facts. anyone who would argue these would simply be a leaf fan or have an unhealthy hate for Subban or The Habs.

BTW I would say they are close in value, but when you factor everything in. I pick Subban everytime.

Old
10-16-2012, 09:59 AM
De Montreal
help

Voyons calice. No way Phaneuf is ''miles ahead'' of Subban, even if offensively.

Closed Thread