HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Nail Yakupov KHL Thread #2 | 19GP: 10G-8A-18PTS | Next Game: Sometime...

Old
11-28-2012, 11:30 AM
Hynh

vCash: 500
Yak finishes with a second under 15 minutes played, 2 assists, 3 shots and a tripping penalty in the final minute.

Yakupov's coach is playing him in the final minute of a 1 goal game?

Hynh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 11:33 AM
OilShorts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hynh View Post
Yak finishes with a second under 15 minutes played, 2 assists, 3 shots and a tripping penalty in the final minute.

Yakupov's coach is playing him in the final minute of a 1 goal game?
After that penalty, I doubt it happens again.

OilShorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 11:40 AM
Hynh

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilShorts View Post
After that penalty, I doubt it happens again.
I think we'd need to see it. Perhaps it was a "good" trip?

Old
11-28-2012, 12:00 PM
oilers2k10
Yak Don't Back Down

vCash: 203
I wonder what Yakupovs current NHLe using this small sample size of KHL stats..
Lowetide...Willis, get on it!

oilers2k10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 12:14 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
Yet another perspective... again taking the current top 100 scoring forwards in the KHL and calculating their pts per 60 minutes played (1st number) AND then taking into account the goals per game of their respective teams (2nd number) and then taking the differential (3rd number). The higher the differential the better.

1 Backstrom Nicklas 4.94 3.14 1.8
2 Tarasenko Vladimir 5.38 3.89 1.49
3 Mozyakin Sergei 4.62 3.18 1.44
4 Kostitsyn Sergei 4.29 3 1.29
5 Petruzalek Jakub 3.1 2.28 0.82
6 Datsyuk Pavel 3.63 2.82 0.81
7 Yakupov Nail 3.72 2.96 0.76
8 Stapleton Tim 2.87 2.14 0.73
9 Mirnov Igor 3.64 3 0.64
10 Radulov Alexander 3.39 2.82 0.57
11 Malkin Evgeny 3.74 3.18 0.56
12 Lehtera Jori 2.91 2.39 0.52
13 Ovechkin Alexander 3.58 3.14 0.44
14 Zherdev Nikolai 2.62 2.34 0.28
15 Indrasis Miks 2.4 2.14 0.26
16 Klepis Jakub 2.69 2.43 0.26
17 Karsums Martins 2.37 2.14 0.23
18 Suglobov Alexander 3.09 2.89 0.2
19 Kovalchuk Ilya 4.04 3.89 0.15
20 Zhmakin Stanislav 2.23 2.09 0.14
21 Hytonen Juha-Pekka 2.4 2.28 0.12
22 Hodgman Justin 3.29 3.18 0.11
23 Makarov Dmitry 3.15 3.07 0.08
24 Varnakov Mikhail 3.11 3.07 0.04
25 Dadonov Evgeny 2.51 2.48 0.03

So yet another view and yet again, Yakupov looks like he's performing very well offensively... especially taking into account he's a rookie on a decent but not outstanding offensive team.

Backstrom having a great year so far under this stat and again Tarasenko showing that he's likely more than ready for a shot at the NHL when/if they get going again.
Much appreciated thanks. Terasenko is looking like a future stud, Shultz, Hamilton, and Taresenko are all looking like NHL ready stars.

Yakupov is doing really good. Seems to be a mistery why any one has put him down.

okgooil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 12:25 PM
Hynh

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers2k10 View Post
I wonder what Yakupovs current NHLe using this small sample size of KHL stats..
Lowetide...Willis, get on it!
A PPG is an NHLE of 68 I believe.

Old
11-28-2012, 12:27 PM
Hoogaar23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hynh View Post
A PPG is an NHLE of 68 I believe.
Not to be a dick, but how close was that calculation with Ovechkin and Malkin?

Hoogaar23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 12:29 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoogaar23 View Post
AO, they keep putting mikes to his face wondering what he has to say. His hockey relevance mean while continues to decline. Hard to believe how good he use to be. now he is not even putting up points in the KHL.

Old
11-28-2012, 12:39 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
AO, they keep putting mikes to his face wondering what he has to say. His hockey relevance mean while continues to decline. Hard to believe how good he use to be. now he is not even putting up points in the KHL.
That's not quite true. Being reunited with Backstrom has helped his production come up in the past couple weeks.

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 12:42 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
That's not quite true. Being reunited with Backstrom has helped his production come up in the past couple weeks.
ya, but say what you want, this was a guy who lit of the NHL and scored 60 goals. Now he is a productive scorer in the KHL. IF he was AO of old he would be out in front of the scoring race by 5 points.

of course Malkin ins't doing great either, but he has proven his worth in the NHL in the last couple years.

Old
11-28-2012, 01:13 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
He's not as commited to physical conditioning as he once was, including showing up at his last NHL training camp close to 270 pounds(whispers from washington teammates of his). It's contributed to a significant decline to his explosive ability that defined his dominant years at the beginning of his career.

It's rather sad too. He was easily the most exciting player in the NHL there for 5 years, and it's disappointing we probably won't ever see that dynamic level of play from him again.

Tarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 01:19 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
He's not as commited to physical conditioning as he once was, including showing up at his last NHL training camp close to 270 pounds(whispers from washington teammates of his). It's contributed to a significant decline to his explosive ability that defined his dominant years at the beginning of his career.

It's rather sad too. He was easily the most exciting player in the NHL there for 5 years, and it's disappointing we probably won't ever see that dynamic level of play from him again.
I appreciate the explanation. It has always been a mystery to me how his production could fall so much. I don't mean to bash the guy, it just seems he has many followers that always come up wiht some reason why his production will fall but will come back. That is was just a bad year ect.. it seems pretty obvious that his production has gone and is not likley every going to come back.

Old
11-28-2012, 02:02 PM
Ozolinsh_27

Quote:
I appreciate the explanation. It has always been a mystery to me how his production could fall so much. I don't mean to bash the guy, it just seems he has many followers that always come up wiht some reason why his production will fall but will come back. That is was just a bad year ect.. it seems pretty obvious that his production has gone and is not likley every going to come back.
I think Ovechkin's decline is a combination of factors, including fitness, Backstrom & Green injuries, the suspension he got when Brian Campbell got injured, and the Caps move to a defensive system. I've always felt it is much easier to shut down/match up defensively against a winger versus a centre. Hopefully Oates will help them somewhat return to their offensive game of years past, because they were super entertaining during Ovechkin's two MVP runs.

Doesn't mean anything at the moment but Ovechkin is officially listed at 218 in the Moscow Dynamo media guide for this season. I'd like to see him bounce back because he has a lot of doubters now and its always fun to root for things like that.

Ozolinsh_27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 02:27 PM
Hoogaar23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozolinsh_27 View Post
I think Ovechkin's decline is a combination of factors including

Quote:
fitness
Probably something to do with it. Got to the NHL and tore it up - figured he had made it and no longer needed to put in the work? Probably a little bit of truth to that.

Quote:
Backstrom & Green injuries
Not relevant IMO. He came in and put up 106 points as a rookie playing with studs like Zubrus, Willsie, and Halpern. He had 49 points more than the 2nd place guy (Zubrus with 57) - same thing with Crosby. 102 points. Next highest forward was 51 points (Leclaire). My point is - superstars will get their points whether they are playing with stars or not.

Quote:
the Caps move to a defensive system.
I think this might be one of the biggest reasons for his decline in production...

Quote:
I've always felt it is much easier to shut down/match up defensively against a winger versus a centre
Except for maybe this. But you're 100% bang on IMO - it's a combination of things. His explosiveness was second to none and was directly responsible for a huge chunk of his points. Take away just a little bit of that, and all of a sudden more than just a few elite defenders can catch up to you or cut off your lane. And goalie and dmen adapted - how many goals did he score crossing the blue line and using the dman as a screen from the top of the circle? I would say maybe 15/year his first few years? How many did he score like that last year? A lot less.

Hoogaar23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 02:32 PM
Jamin

I agree with what everyone is saying about Ovechkin but ill add in money. We like to think hockey players should be able to motivate themselves to play hard but I wonder how much of that effort is playing for a new contract.

If your on summer vacation and all your friends are eating burgers and fries and you want healthy food its easier to say no to the burger knowing you need a good summer so you have a good season and get a good contract.

IMO its alot harder to say no to the burger when you have nearly 10 million a year guaranteed for like a decade even if you play like crap

Jamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 02:48 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamin View Post
I agree with what everyone is saying about Ovechkin but ill add in money. We like to think hockey players should be able to motivate themselves to play hard but I wonder how much of that effort is playing for a new contract.

If your on summer vacation and all your friends are eating burgers and fries and you want healthy food its easier to say no to the burger knowing you need a good summer so you have a good season and get a good contract.

IMO its alot harder to say no to the burger when you have nearly 10 million a year guaranteed for like a decade even if you play like crap
Well the lesson is if you are going to sign a guy to a huge long term deal make sure he is self motivated. In retrospect the caps should have signed him to a short term deal.

Old
11-28-2012, 02:50 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 406
Quote:
Well the lesson is if you are going to sign a guy to a huge long term deal make sure he is self motivated. In retrospect the caps should have signed him to a short term deal.
And then people would be saying "in retrospect they should've gave the 50 goals scorer a ten year deal, now he wants out".

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 03:09 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Does NHLe take age into consideration?

nabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 04:39 PM
40oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabob View Post
Does NHLe take age into consideration?

This explains it
http://www.behindthenet.ca/projecting_to_nhl.php

40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 06:38 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Didn't he rack up 110 and 109 point seasons after signing that extension though?

Maybe the money/fame finally got to him, maybe it's fitness, maybe it's something completely off the ice and unrelated to hockey (personal/family/love life).

Perhaps he's hanging around with a bad crowd these days and doing the nightclub thing a bit too much. Who knows.

Maybe the NHL easing up on obstruction rules also has a lot to do with it.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 07:23 PM
Hynh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoogaar23 View Post
NHLE tends to underestimate the very top end talents because it is an average. For example, Hall's was 46 and RNH's was 38 and both surpassed those with 52 and 69 per 82. Nino Niederreiter is an example of a player failing to make their estimate. He was estimated at 31 points but managed only a lone goal. If you were to average RNH and Niederreiter's transition you would get .42 as opposed to the .3 used to calculate WHL players, so RNH was kind of good last year.

Ovechkin's is about 48 but he managed 107 per 82 games. Keep in mind, NHLE uses past instances of players transferring leagues so simply punching in the numbers won't be as useful if the league changes its rules.

Old
11-28-2012, 07:58 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Didn't he rack up 110 and 109 point seasons after signing that extension though?

Maybe the money/fame finally got to him, maybe it's fitness, maybe it's something completely off the ice and unrelated to hockey (personal/family/love life).

Perhaps he's hanging around with a bad crowd these days and doing the nightclub thing a bit too much. Who knows.

Maybe the NHL easing up on obstruction rules also has a lot to do with it.
Its a mystery. Him not being in shape is the best explanation I have heard though. WHen you watch him it just seems like he has lost a step.

Old
11-28-2012, 08:20 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

Quote:
ya, but say what you want, this was a guy who lit of the NHL and scored 60 goals. Now he is a productive scorer in the KHL. IF he was AO of old he would be out in front of the scoring race by 5 points.

of course Malkin ins't doing great either, but he has proven his worth in the NHL in the last couple years.
Malkin is lighting it up... what do you mean?

He's third in points behind Radulov who leads the league every year and Mozyakin who is doing so well thanks to Malkin.

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 08:42 PM
Spawn

Quote:
This past year was the first year Ovechkin has finished outside the top 7 in league scoring in his career. He's been outside the top 5 in goal scoring once in his career.

Kovalchuk put up 60 points in 2010-11. I wonder how many people were suggesting that he was never going to be an elite scorer again. He came back with 83 points in 77 games.

Something went bad with Ovechkin last year. Whether that be a lack of conditioning, coming to terms with a new system, coaching issues, whatever. That can't be denied.

But to suggest that a 27 year old who has more goals, and more points then any player in the league since the previous lockout is never going to bounce back seems a little premature to me. This is arguably one of the most exceptional goal scorers in NHL history. Sure, maybe Ovechkin can't repeat his previous success, but I sure as hell would not rule it out at this point. Not even close.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 08:44 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
Malkin is lighting it up... what do you mean?

He's third in points behind Radulov who leads the league every year and Mozyakin who is doing so well thanks to Malkin.
Well I wouldn't call that lighting it up, but ya, he is doing good fur sure.