HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

what happens to the stanley cup if there is no season?

Old
10-18-2012, 08:27 PM
leeaf83

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to leeaf83 Send a message via Yahoo to leeaf83
what happens to the stanley cup if there is no season?

I apologize to the mods if this is the wrong spot I just didnt see a relevant thread for it.

As we all know Lord Stanley donated the bowl to the top ranking club based on a challenge series, eventually the NHL had no competing leagues remaining and assumed full control. There was a lawsuit filed whether the NHL should retain control since it failed to award a champion in 2005. Obviously the NHL maintain it but I thought something came of that movement?

What happens to the stanley cup itself if no champion is not awarded in 2013?

and please try and stay on topic folks, this is not a discussion on the lockout itself but rather if the NHL risks losing possession of the cup should it fail to crown a champion next year?

leeaf83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 09:32 PM
hockeypuck2012

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanley_cup#Trustees

".......Trustees, who had the sole, joint right to govern the Cup and the conditions of its awarding until 1947, when they ceded control to the NHL"

So the cup is dormant until further notice.

hockeypuck2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 11:24 PM
Big Phil

A women's league tried to play for it in 2005 to no avail. It is now the NHL's property

Big Phil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 01:09 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

... I believe it was discussed on the Business of Hockey Board but as it transcends business, certainly with historical over-tones & interest, maybe this is the spot to discuss it?

My understanding of the situation is that in 04/05 a group of amateur players & fans in Ontario got together called the "Wednesday Nighters", launching suit against the NHL demanding the Stanley Cup be made available should the league be shutdown for an entire season.

They challenged the leagues right of propriety of the Cup, the Trustee's assumption of ownership in some questionable/illegal changes theyd made to the charter I believe in the late 40's. Long story short, they did actually win their case in Ontario Supreme Court, the NHL agreeing to permit the Stanley Cup to be awarded through a "Challenge" format, though just who would play for it was left wide open.

The possibility of the top Womens Teams was brought forward by then Governor General of Canada Adrienne Clarkson, however that was met with protest and as a result, she created the Clarkson Cup, to be awarded to the top female club in Canada annually. I cant imagine the AHL with the long & rich history of the Calder, the Senior Amateur AAA teams across Canada, also with their own trophy that goes back 100yrs or more would want to replace it with the Stanley Cup.

Bit of a hollow victory for the Wednesday Nighters really, but I guess the "win" was in embarrassing the league, opening up the option that if they messed up again, something might develop that would see the NHL's centre piece, its "chalice" as it were being awarded to outside interests. The decision & agreement rendered after the 04/05 Lockout had ended.

Last edited by Killion: 10-19-2012 at 01:16 AM. Reason: Typos...
Killion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 07:39 AM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

vCash: 50
I am unsure and have no source, but I thought I had read something that it the NHL ruling had just been for the 04-05 season and in the event of another lockout, the Cup would be awarded regardless?

I Hate Chris Butler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 08:18 AM
optimus2861

I don't recall where I read it, but recently one of the networks actually spoke to the trustees, and they made it pretty clear they're not handing the Cup out to anyone other than NHL teams.

Which isn't all that surprising considering the trustees were long-time NHL employees, and that the NHL names the Cup trustees.

optimus2861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 11:09 AM
Theokritos

Once the season is cancelled it's up to the trustees Morrison and O'Neill to decide what to do. They could award the Stanley Cup to another league for the time that the NHL is out of order.

Theokritos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 11:12 AM
OneMoreAstronaut
Reduce chainsaw size

vCash: 50

OneMoreAstronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 01:19 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreAstronaut View Post
..............................2012-'13 season not played

Big Phil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 11:47 AM
tony d
Thanks for memories

I would think it doesn't get awarded if there is no season since it's a NHL-only trophy.

10-21-2012, 03:14 PM
CJ Boyd

http://www2.macleans.ca/2012/08/23/t...s-a-manifesto/

CJ Boyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 04:31 PM
tommygunn

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Boyd View Post
Great article! And I agree with the author...

tommygunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 04:33 PM
justsomeguy

It'll still have an exhaustive touring schedule.

Last time the NHL closed up shop the league decided to allow some of the oldest living players with their names engraved on it to have it for a day. Might well have been the last good PR decision the league made.

Pretty sure there are more than a few former players out there who are "due" a day with the Stanley Cup and would not be surprised to see it visiting a lot of oldsteers if it is not awarded in the spring.

justsomeguy is offline   Reply With Quote