HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Rick Vaive....?

Old
10-13-2012, 10:24 PM
Sam Slick*

vCash: 500
Rick Vaive....?

Hey fellow hockey peeps.

I have a question. Now I pride myself on being a leaf fan for 46 of my 49 years and somewhat of a hockey historian.

But this is confusing. There is a picture of Rick Vaive in a mural on a building that is a tribute to some of Amherst hockey players that have played for Amherst in the past going back about 80 years.

I checked the history of the Amherst Rambles past hockey players and cant find him there. Does anyone know what Rick Vaive had to do with hockey in Amherst Nova Scotia?

Sam Slick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 08:32 AM
Big Phil

Are you sure it was Vaive? He was born in Ottawa, played his Junior hockey career for Sherbrooke in the QMJHL. Unless he lived in Nova Scotia at some point in his young career.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 09:25 AM
dennilfloss
Yes I love disco!

Maybe he played his Junior A there....

http://www.playyourgame.com/marjhl.html

Edit: Looks like he played for the Charlottetown Abbies.

http://www.hockeydraftcentral.com/1979/79005.html

Last edited by dennilfloss: 10-14-2012 at 09:32 AM.
dennilfloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 12:12 PM
Sam Slick*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
Are you sure it was Vaive? He was born in Ottawa, played his Junior hockey career for Sherbrooke in the QMJHL. Unless he lived in Nova Scotia at some point in his young career.
Yea, it is Vaive for sure. The artist did a great job....and did I mention that his name is with all the other names on the painting?

The names on the mural are Mo Bent, Billy Riley, Craig Martin, Red Stuart, Frank Ripley, Creighton Louther, Carl Ripley, Stanton Jackson, Lester Lowther, Arnold peaches noiles, Mac Davis, Brian Obyrne, Rick Vaive, Darren Nixon, Mutt Webster, Shermie White, Mark Macfarlane, Tim Ripley and Jaime Mathews.

I know the history of everyone on that picture and I played with 2 of them, Darren Nixon and Tim Ripley. They are all on the mural and have had an impact on hockey in Amherst.

I have no idea about why Vaive is there but would really like to figure it out.

As for the poster below, he did play in PEI but that has no bearing on Amherst NS. Maybe he was traded to the Rambers for half a season or something in the early 70's.

Old
10-14-2012, 02:10 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Vaive is said to be a "native of Ottawa" on wiki & in the HHOF's player section, however, on the Amherst site he's claimed as one of their Native Sons, born there. Perhaps his family moved to Ottawa when he was quite young, as I highly doubt any city/town/municipality would make such a claim erroneously. As such, featured on their mural, in the books for interest & posterities sake.

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 02:51 PM
Sam Slick*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Vaive is said to be a "native of Ottawa" on wiki & in the HHOF's player section, however, on the Amherst site he's claimed as one of their Native Sons, born there. Perhaps his family moved to Ottawa when he was quite young, as I highly doubt any city/town/municipality would make such a claim erroneously. As such, featured on their mural, in the books for interest & posterities sake.
Makes sense

Old
10-14-2012, 03:23 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Slick View Post
Makes sense
... ya, I just cant see a city laying claim to someone as having been born there without absolute proof. As for Vaive as a player & later Coach, always liked the guy.

Old
10-14-2012, 03:37 PM
Canadiens1958

QMJHL Eligibility

For Rick Vaive to have played in the QMJHL in 1976 he would have had to have played his formative youth hockey up to junior in Quebec or the Maritimes. Ontario background he would not be eligible unless waived by all the OHL/OHA teams. Highly unlikely in his case.

Further more his family from the Maritimes would come-up regularly to Sherbrooke or Montreal.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 05:05 PM
tommygunn

Vaive played some peewee hockey in Amherst, NS.

tommygunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 05:31 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

... well, this getting weirder by the minute. Did some more research. The Leafs site along with the PEI Sports Hall of Fame states he was in fact born in Ottawa but moved to Charlottetown at age 11. Played Junior for Sherbrooke; opted for the WHA etc as we all know. So if he played a year of PeeWee as noted above, a bit of a reach by the city, but I suppose acceptable.

Old
10-14-2012, 05:49 PM
Canadiens1958

Others

There is an NHL great born in Trois Rivieres, played early hockey in Victoriaville, Junior/Senior in Quebec City, NHL in Montreal, lived in Longueuil. All five municipalities have honoured him in some fashion.

Answer - Jean Beliveau.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 10:51 PM
capebretoncanadien

I know his brother plays around N.S. He's not very good.

capebretoncanadien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 12:58 AM
Scott1980

Hey, anyone who scores 50 goals on some of the worst Leaf teams ever deserves that no matter where he is from!

Scott1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 08:38 AM
Breakfast of Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Slick View Post
Hey fellow hockey peeps.

I have a question. Now I pride myself on being a leaf fan for 46 of my 49 years and somewhat of a hockey historian.

But this is confusing. There is a picture of Rick Vaive in a mural on a building that is a tribute to some of Amherst hockey players that have played for Amherst in the past going back about 80 years.

I checked the history of the Amherst Rambles past hockey players and cant find him there. Does anyone know what Rick Vaive had to do with hockey in Amherst Nova Scotia?
Rick Vaive played some minor hockey in Amherst, NS. My Dad's buddy had a picture of the Amherst Peewee team and Vaive was on it. Rumor has it he was small and scared at that time, wasn't even the top player on his team. He then moved to PEI and continued his minor hockey career there.

Can't believe I stumbled upon a thread to do with Amherst on HF, never thought that would happen.

Last edited by Breakfast of Champs: 10-16-2012 at 08:44 AM.
Breakfast of Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 01:54 PM
Sam Slick*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakfast of Champs View Post
Rick Vaive played some minor hockey in Amherst, NS. My Dad's buddy had a picture of the Amherst Peewee team and Vaive was on it. Rumor has it he was small and scared at that time, wasn't even the top player on his team. He then moved to PEI and continued his minor hockey career there.

Can't believe I stumbled upon a thread to do with Amherst on HF, never thought that would happen.
Hi. Thanks for the info. I was in Mites when he was in Peewee and I just don't remember him. I have a note placed to my cousin Greg that would be on his PEEWee team at the same time. He kept all his peewee pics and his mom and dad have a huge scrapbook. We shall see.

If playing here on peewee got you on that picture, then shame on my home town for doing this. Talk about glorifying someone from that level. Don't get me wrong, Vaive was one of my fav hockey players of all time and still is. But, getting on a mural with all those hockey people that actually made a difference in Hockey is just silly.

I will update this when my cousin gets back to me about this. If he is not on my cousins pictures, then it is not true. They are the same age with only a months difference.

Old
10-17-2012, 07:38 AM
brianscot

Is Vaive the all time leading NHl goal scorer reared (albeit not born) in the Maritimes?

brianscot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 03:49 PM
Sam Slick*

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianscot View Post
Is Vaive the all time leading NHl goal scorer reared (albeit not born) in the Maritimes?
No, I would think Al McCinnis is. Not sure, i'm too lazy to check the stats. We have Bryan Murray from Bridgewater and soon to be Crosby from Cole Harbour.

Old
10-17-2012, 04:53 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

... Maritimer's also include Gordie Drillon of the Leafs from the late 30's through the 40's averaging 20+ goals & 30++ assists in less than 50 game seasons, which is pretty impressive (though admittedly the quality of the game during WW2 suffered a bit). Other notables would be Errol Thompson, consistent, one of my favourite players from the back in the day; Gerard Gallant who had one spectacular and several better than good seasons in Detroit. Brad Richards another who wasnt exactly a slouch around the net.

Old
10-17-2012, 08:58 PM
JackSlater

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianscot View Post
If you count him as being a Maritimer then yes.

JackSlater is offline   Reply With Quote