HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NJD 2013 Draft Thread

Closed Thread

Old
12-29-2012, 06:19 PM
FirmestPiano

vCash: 500
Name Pos. GR DOB Height Weight Home Town GPI MINS W L T GAA SV% SO Asst TGA PIM
1 Luke Kania G 11 1/24/1996 6’1″ 170 Chicago, IL 19 1067 16 1 1 1.97 92.9 1 1 35 2
30 Anthony Brodeur G 12 6/8/1995 5’10″ 180 Essex Fells, NJ 16 913 11 2 2 2.76 91.6 2 3 42

What was written on the prospects board was referring to last season when he split goaltending dutys pretty much 50/50 with Kyle Hayton, 29/30 games each.

Hard to read but nevertheless, looks like they're splitting the games this year too.

http://ssmhockey.org/2012-13-boys-prep/

Old
12-29-2012, 08:18 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirmestPiano View Post
If were drafting Swedes again I'd take a look at Alexander Wennberg. Reminds me a lot of Josefson with his skating and smartness. Playing pretty well and producing in Sweden's div 2 league right now with Josefson's former team Djurgarden.

Has been one of the better players so far for Sweden in the WJC. How he's not playing top 6 min is beyond me though, much more deserving than others who are getting more ice time than he is.

Had a great goal today too!
If we're picking in the low first round or later, I'd sign up for another Yayo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown56 View Post
Poor kid is going to have so much pressure on him, especially if we draft him. Marty's skates are impossible to fill. Maybe if he was a forward he'd be better off.

Old
12-29-2012, 09:07 PM
glenwo2
PATTY'S BETTER!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidevil View Post
Lou will draft him as kind of a gold watch for Marty's retirement.
Awesome 'cause I can see Lou doing this, too.

Old
12-29-2012, 09:16 PM
Darius Dangleaitis
Padowan Kovalchuk

Djurgarden got relegated? Hmm.

Old
12-30-2012, 01:56 AM
Hockey Sports Fan
:panic:

Send a message via AIM to Hockey Sports Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidevil View Post
Lou will draft him as kind of a gold watch for Marty's retirement.
It's kinda funny because Lou is the last guy who would draft a kid just for a storyline, if he thought there was another choice that would be better for the team. But at the same time, Marty's the one guy that I could totally see Lou breaking precedent for.

Old
12-30-2012, 04:44 AM
Scottyk9
Goals? Please!

Send a message via AIM to Scottyk9
We don't have a 3rd this year right because of the Zidlicky trade ?

Old
12-30-2012, 08:14 AM
Devils1029

Would like to see us pick up another 2nd or at least a 3rd rounder this year and want us to go with forwards in the first three rounds that have the ability to score and at least 1 or 2 to play the right side. We went with some project picks last year and seem fairly stocked on bottom 6 type guys. We need a stud forward to add to the stable. I could also see us adding a young goalie prospect later in the draft but probably more for use in Albany if Wedgewood and Kincaid pan out over the next few years.

Old
12-30-2012, 08:48 AM
FirmestPiano

Yupp, more highly skilled forwards. That'd be nice.

Old
12-30-2012, 11:53 PM
Hockey Sports Fan
:panic:

Send a message via AIM to Hockey Sports Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyk9 View Post
We don't have a 3rd this year right because of the Zidlicky trade ?
Correct. We gave up the Caps' 2nd from last year and a conditional 3rd in 2013 if the Devils made the conference finals (or was it Finals?).

Old
12-31-2012, 10:09 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tretyak 20 View Post
At this point I'm really liking Carrier and Duclair as potential Devils 1st rounders. Still hoping for Tolchinskii as a 3rd/4th rounder to add depth to the organization.

Duclair will probably jump up in the rankings by the time the draft get's underway but if we can land him in the middle part of the 1st round, we would be getting a stud forward and that's exactly what we need at the moment.

If he's still on the board, I'd like to take Jacob De La Rose in the 2nd round. The kid is a beast on the forecheck and has some offensive skills to his game as well. If I had to compare him with a NHL player, I'd say his ceilling would be someone like Johan Franzen and his floor would be someone like Zubrus.

Old
12-31-2012, 04:51 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVILS ALL THE WAY View Post
If he's still on the board, I'd like to take Jacob De La Rose in the 2nd round. The kid is a beast on the forecheck and has some offensive skills to his game as well. If I had to compare him with a NHL player, I'd say his ceilling would be someone like Johan Franzen and his floor would be someone like Zubrus.
I read this and wonder what is different about Matteau, other than when he was picked.

Old
12-31-2012, 05:09 PM
CerebralGenesis

That Matteau was picked with a forfeitable pick. If we can get the same thing in the 2nd round then that's interesting.

At least the forward group seems pretty good this year.

Old
12-31-2012, 05:21 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

I understand that aspect of not liking the Matteau pick, but there are posters who are unable to separate that from his development as a prospect. Whether or not you didn't like the decision to keep the pick shouldn't influence the analysis of his play. But there are people attacking his play and deriding his development simply because of when he was picked. That doesn't seem fair to Matteau.

Like it or not, he is a Devils prospect now, and he seems to be coming along just fine.

Old
12-31-2012, 05:32 PM
Jack Griffin

This draft class seems less impressive than last year. I think the forward group is about the same but the D group is pretty thin, which means there won't be guys like Teravainen slipping to 18.

Old
01-02-2013, 11:50 PM
Tretyak 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
I understand that aspect of not liking the Matteau pick, but there are posters who are unable to separate that from his development as a prospect. Whether or not you didn't like the decision to keep the pick shouldn't influence the analysis of his play. But there are people attacking his play and deriding his development simply because of when he was picked. That doesn't seem fair to Matteau.

Like it or not, he is a Devils prospect now, and he seems to be coming along just fine.
The really ironic thing is, the people doing this are acting a lot like, well.... Rangers fans.

Old
01-03-2013, 10:14 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post

The majority of the posters who aren't "in love" with the pick has nothing to do with Matteau himself and everything to do with not forfeiting the second to last pick.

You're right, what's done is done and we can't do anything about it anymore but I still think it'll bite us in the ass way more then what people expect. We aren't handing our pick this year, if there's a draft held in NJ that is, wich leaves us with the 2014 pick.

We have several key players heading to free agency at the end of the 2013 season and our track record for keeping our pending UFA's is about as bad as it can get. The worst case scenario would be to lose Zajac and Elias, cause our offense is pretty thin as it is, plus Marty will probably hang'em up as well wich would probably put us out of the playoff picture and in the lottery mix perhaps.

You can't predict the future but you have to look ahead. Having 4 solid pending UFA's the same year and we'll have to hand in a 1st round pick isn't the best possible option... especially after going on a dream run that saw us get the second to last pick in a so-so draft.

I would just like to understand the logic behind it all and no, I don't buy the "we'll get Matteau 2 years earlier, so he'll be able to help us sooner rather then later". As a Devils fan for so many years, I know and about 99% of this board knows, that our prospects aren't rushed to the big league so I'm not bying that one bit. If we were talking about a top 5 pick ala Larsson, maybe, but Matteau is light years away from being in the same class and I see him "helping" us in about 5 years.

Old
01-03-2013, 01:16 PM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

im still unsure whether or not we shouldve forfeited the pick. time will tell

Old
01-03-2013, 01:56 PM
Tretyak 20

Personally I think Samuelsson was the guy we were hoping for, but he got picked a couple of picks before us. But I do also hold to the idea that Matteau will be ready before anyone from the 2014 draft, even if that player turns out better overall. It's just a difficult situation to assess. At least Matteau seems to be developing well.

Old
01-03-2013, 02:07 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tretyak 20 View Post
Personally I think Samuelsson was the guy we were hoping for, but he got picked a couple of picks before us. But I do also hold to the idea that Matteau will be ready before anyone from the 2014 draft, even if that player turns out better overall. It's just a difficult situation to assess. At least Matteau seems to be developing well.
I like Matteau's game, alot. He reminds me of Brad Marchand with weaker skating abilities but that can change over the next couple of years.

What I don't like is that we are almost certain to get a higher pick in the next couple of drafts, wich often but not always, means that we could land a more talented player.

I'll take the better overall player who we can pick in 2014 over a less talented youngster you'll have in your lineup sooner. Drafting isn't a accurate science but it isn't a 100m race as well.

Anyways, time will tell I guess.

Old
01-03-2013, 02:11 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

I still think Lou was hoping vasilevsky or subban would fall to us, and just took the abundance of decent forward prospects as a justifiable backup plan

Old
01-03-2013, 02:45 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes 81 View Post
I still think Lou was hoping vasilevsky or subban would fall to us, and just took the abundance of decent forward prospects as a justifiable backup plan
That's what I've been saying since day #1.

Odds were that at least one goaltender was going to get drafted before our pick and things turned out differently, so we went with option #3... best forward available.

Old
01-03-2013, 03:01 PM
FirmestPiano

I doubt Lou would take a chance like that.

Old
01-03-2013, 03:06 PM
Devils731

If Lou wanted to take a goalie, I'm glad he was robbed of the chance.

Old
01-03-2013, 03:18 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirmestPiano View Post
I doubt Lou would take a chance like that.
He had to forfeit his pick before the draft even got underway, so he had to go based on assumptions more then anything else.

You rarely see two goalies get picked in the 1st round, so that maybe threw him off when both Vasilevski and Subban were off the board when it was our time to pick someone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils731 View Post
If Lou wanted to take a goalie, I'm glad he was robbed of the chance.
Why is that? Vasilevski looks like a real promising prospect and Subban has some wicked athleticism for a netminder. If we end up drafting Fucale in the 1st round, around the same spot both netminders were drafted last year, I won't be upset one bit.

The only reason I'd be upset is if Anthony Duclair would still be available or someone that dropped out of the top #10... but that's about it.

Old
01-03-2013, 03:26 PM
Devils731

I don't see enough of a difference between the highly drafted goalies and the low drafted goalies when it comes to NHL impact.

Unless I am the one getting to see everyone play 20+ times, I'll have to go by what recent history is suggesting. Skaters are less likely to bust and goalies are more likely to surprise late.

Closed Thread