HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The impact on our organization acquiring both Yakupov and Schultz

Old
10-27-2012, 02:12 AM
5cupstandard

vCash: 500
The impact on our organization acquiring both Yakupov and Schultz

With Schultz emerging as already one of, if not the best defensemen in AHL, it is starting to settle in with me how important the 2012 Draft/FA could mean to our organization in the future. Without mentioning Yakupov in the equation, Shultz is leading the AHL with 10p (4g,6a). That alone is a pretty significant piece to the puzzle. Yakupov on the other hand has been starving for ice time in the KHL, but you wouldn't think so if you saw his stats let alone his highlights.

If Dubnyk can play like we know he can, minus the bad goal a game that seems to be his trademark. I think we can set a precedent of being a winning team for the long term future of our club. Thoughts?

P.S. I browsed quickly for an old thread to bump, but couldn't find one... I know how that having the same thread pop up every week is upon around here, but... It's the lockout, blame Bettman not me...

5cupstandard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 02:24 AM
Ogopogo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5cupstandard View Post
With Schultz emerging as already one of, if not the best defensemen in AHL, it is starting to settle in with me how important the 2012 Draft/FA could mean to our organization in the future. Without mentioning Yakupov in the equation, Shultz is leading the AHL with 10p (4g,6a). That alone is a pretty significant piece to the puzzle. Yakupov on the other hand has been starving for ice time in the KHL, but you wouldn't think so if you saw his stats let alone his highlights.

If Dubnyk can play like we know he can, minus the bad goal a game that seems to be his trademark. I think we can set a precedent of being a winning team for the long term future of our club. Thoughts?

P.S. I browsed quickly for an old thread to bump, but couldn't find one... I know how that having the same thread pop up every week is upon around here, but... It's the lockout, blame Bettman not me...
Dubnyk has been giving up ****** goals regularly since he played for the Kamloops Blazers. Why do people think he is suddenly going to figure out how to stop those pucks?

Ogopogo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 02:27 AM
Bank Shot

Still needs good veteran D men(Lets say two), a reliable 1 A/B goatlending option, a strong two way second line center, and probably another quality two way winger.

They certainly have some nice pieces to build around though.

Bank Shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 02:29 AM
5cupstandard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogopogo View Post
Dubnyk has been giving up ****** goals regularly since he played for the Kamloops Blazers. Why do people think he is suddenly going to figure out how to stop those pucks?
whats with the hostility. You're among friends...

edit...

anyone wanna play nhl hut? skanks4200 xbox

5cupstandard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 02:31 AM
nullterm

vCash: 800
Quote:
"No! You keep the pucks OUT of the net!"

"Ohhhhhhhh...."

"Work smart."

"Work safe."

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 03:13 AM
Hemsky4PM

I don't think any single off-season makes a significant difference, I think it's really been since 2009 when the tide turned (besides drafting Eberle in 2008).

We picked up stars (Hall, RNH, Yakupov) and legitimate prospects (Paajarvi, Lander, Marincin, Pitlick, Bunz, Klefbom, Musil, Roy) and some sleepers who could surprise (Pelss, Hamilton, Martindale, Davidson, Ewaynyk, Rieder, Gernat).

Adding Schultz was a great signing, but it's one part of a LONG process of rebuilding through the draft.

Goaltending is the biggest question. Dubnyk is an average to below average starter who has never been tested. He needs to step up his game OR we need a guy like Roy or Bunz to emerge a la Brayden Holtby. If that doesn't happen in the next two seasons, the Oilers will need to make a move for a top end goaltender.

Hemsky4PM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 03:45 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 50
I think goaltending is much less of an issue than people think. Goalies come out of nowhere all the time. If Dubnyk can't step up, and Bunz and Roy aren't ready, I'm sure we can find a guy through free agency or a trade without giving up any major assets. Look at the goalies in the NHL that are considered elite right now, and the people that were considered elite 3 years ago even. It's 2 pretty different lists.

I find it hard to really say any one draft/year is the key to our success. 2009 wasn't great, but 2008, and 2010-2012 are all looking very helpful

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 04:06 AM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
I think goaltending is much less of an issue than people think. Goalies come out of nowhere all the time. If Dubnyk can't step up, and Bunz and Roy aren't ready, I'm sure we can find a guy through free agency or a trade without giving up any major assets. Look at the goalies in the NHL that are considered elite right now, and the people that were considered elite 3 years ago even. It's 2 pretty different lists.

I find it hard to really say any one draft/year is the key to our success. 2009 wasn't great, but 2008, and 2010-2012 are all looking very helpful
agreed.... over the past decade or so tending has become the easiest position to solve (outside of bottom-6 forward and bottom pairing defenders of course)... there are always lots of goalies available and it seems that there are 2-4 surprise tenders each and every year... i'm really not worried about tending at all to be honest, it will sort itself out

jadeddog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 12:15 PM
DisgruntledGoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
i'm really not worried about tending at all to be honest, it will sort itself out
Totally agree. Heck, Im not even that worried about the defense. Theres some talent already here, and there are always some veteran guys around the league who look lousy on bad teams but that can play a safe, effective game when you put them with talent. Detroit finds those guys all the time. I think we can too, once the overall talent level of the team reaches a point where a D can play a simple game without being exposed by atrocious team play around him.

I am a little bit more worried about size up front. We need big, effective players and seem to have a tough time finding them.

Back to the OP's original point... Yes, I think adding Yak and Schultz was huge. As big in its own way as the 2008 draft or the 2010 draft.

Before Yak and Schultz, we had some young talent but some big holes on the second line and the blueline. Now, both those positions have been somewhat addressed, and our overall talent level is, imo, reaching critical mass. That wouldnt be the case if we had only addded one top-end guy. The importance of adding two potential long-term impact players in one off-season cannot be overstated. The core is in place now. Now its a matter of building around whats already there.

DisgruntledGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 12:26 PM
Matt Ryan
Falcons Rise Up

vCash: 50
what about the development of Petry?

Matt Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 12:49 PM
okgooil

IT was like getting the 1st and 2nd pick over all. If we don't win the lottery imagine Shultz might be in Vancouver now. We get Yaks and Shultz. it is just beyond huge. THe rest of the NHL will hate us, it iwll be like the 80s all over again.

okgooil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 03:15 PM
jbean

If the Oilers lose the lottery they would probably have drafted Murray. If they drafted Murray there's a good chance Schultz would have signed somewhere else. We got incredibly lucky, Schultz could even end up being better than Murray, which would mean we pretty well did draft first and second.

Some people were making a check list of players that we need. Lots of these players can be found in the system if we are patient. A #2 or #3 centre? Gagner, Pitlick, or Lander could fill these roles. Two way wingers? Paajarvi, Hartikainen, or Hamilton. Starting Goalie? Dubnyk, Bunz, Roy.

jbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 03:18 PM
Jepprey
Creeper

Well i think it's about time we watched our oilers play some meaningful games past January. We haven't done much past December in a very long time.

Jepprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 03:28 PM
rockinghockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbean View Post
If the Oilers lose the lottery they would probably have drafted Murray. If they drafted Murray there's a good chance Schultz would have signed somewhere else. We got incredibly lucky, Schultz could even end up being better than Murray, which would mean we pretty well did draft first and second.

Some people were making a check list of players that we need. Lots of these players can be found in the system if we are patient. A #2 or #3 centre? Gagner, Pitlick, or Lander could fill these roles. Two way wingers? Paajarvi, Hartikainen, or Hamilton. Starting Goalie? Dubnyk, Bunz, Roy.
My understanding is CBJ would have drafted Murray with the 1st over all pick so we still would of gotten Yak.

rockinghockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 04:04 PM
notloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
My understanding is CBJ would have drafted Murray with the 1st over all pick so we still would of gotten Yak.
Difficult to know for sure. Could very well just be a PR stunt. So many teams say "we got the guy we wanted" Look at Toronto saying Rielly was #1 on their list. I know a lot of dumb Leaf fans in my area, but even they know Yakupov would have been their #1 overall

notloilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 04:06 PM
okgooil

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
0% chance that is true. They of course are going to say that after the fact.

If they get the first pick they take Yakupov

ps. I am not saying that to rub it in to CBJ fans, it is just true. No way they don't take Yaks first overall. I mean just look no further than HF prospect rankings, yaks #1, murray #13. clearly no one is going to take murray over yaks, just talk after the fact.

Old
10-27-2012, 04:26 PM
shizan

lol good one

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullterm View Post
"No! You keep the pucks OUT of the net!"

"Ohhhhhhhh...."

"Work smart."

"Work safe."

shizan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 04:29 PM
jukon
#Nailedit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge for Nuge View Post
what about the development of Petry?
and Smid.

jukon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 05:11 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 672
How about the impact of hall and nuge. Those four additions are all key and on the same level

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 05:20 PM
okgooil

Quote:
Originally Posted by jukon View Post
and Smid.
and Dubnyk. Well tending is still a concern. have to admit he has come a long way in the past two years. With him and Roy/Bunz in the wings, I think we are going to be ok in net.

Old
10-27-2012, 05:57 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbean View Post
I don't know if that's true. With them being stylistically and positionally(LD vs. RD) different, I don't know if Schultz would have seen that to be a factor.

Murray would be the ideal partner for Schultz too, in my opinion.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 06:01 PM
frag2

Quote:
This. The only way to mitigate that is to hope the shots are forced from outside ala the system MacT used to create Rolo-god

frag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 06:43 PM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

Looking at the 2013 UFA list and assuming we will be more of a destination team by then, it will be interesting to see if we can upgrade the roster.

Edmonton UFA's:
Whitney, Ryan
Khabibulin, Nikolai
Smid, Ladislav
Sutton, Andy
Jones, Ryan
Hordichuk, Darcy
Petrell, Lennart

If the only player we retain from that group is Smid, who would likely be an easy sign since he loves it here, we could start looking at chasing some better players. Just for argument sakes, lets say we are able to sign the following players.

RW- Clarkson
D- Fistric

Let's also assume the following prospects make the club:

-Hartikainen
-Paajarvi
-Lander
-Schultz
-Klefbom

We could go in to next season with this line-up:

Hartikainen-Hopkins-Eberle
Hall-Gagner-Hemsky
Paajarvi-Lander-Yakupov
Smyth-Horcoff-Clarkson

Smid-Petry
Fistric-J. Schultz
Klefbom-N. Schultz

Dubnyk
???

Is that a playoff team? It'll definitely be an exciting team.

Mowzie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 06:51 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Mitch Moroz - 13GP 2G 5A
Jujhar Khaira - 5GP 3A (WCHA)
Daniil Zharkov - 12GP 4G 2A
Erik Gustafsson - 0GP (Says hockey DB) (SEL)
Joey Laleggia - 3GP 2G 2A (WCHA)
John McCarron - 1GP 1A (ECAC)

That's what I pay attention to when I consider the quality of a draft year for a team. Doesn't really excite me a whole lot. I know Edmonton is struggling. Zharkov is known to be inconsistent at putting it all together... but yeah nothing to write home about.

It's not just Hopkins that made the the draft 2 drafts ago, it's the progress of all of the other players. Being able to see that 3-4 of those players are going to be in the NHL on day. That's quality. Or the draft 3 years ago where we traded Hall. Knowing that pretty much every one of those players will eventually play in the NHL one day. That's when I know a draft that'll have a huge impact on your team.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 06:55 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowzie View Post
Looking at the 2013 UFA list and assuming we will be more of a destination team by then, it will be interesting to see if we can upgrade the roster.

Edmonton UFA's:
Whitney, Ryan
Khabibulin, Nikolai
Smid, Ladislav
Sutton, Andy
Jones, Ryan
Hordichuk, Darcy
Petrell, Lennart

If the only player we retain from that group is Smid, who would likely be an easy sign since he loves it here, we could start looking at chasing some better players. Just for argument sakes, lets say we are able to sign the following players.

RW- Clarkson
D- Fistric

Let's also assume the following prospects make the club:

-Hartikainen
-Paajarvi
-Lander
-Schultz
-Klefbom

We could go in to next season with this line-up:

Hartikainen-Hopkins-Eberle
Hall-Gagner-Hemsky
Paajarvi-Lander-Yakupov
Smyth-Horcoff-Clarkson

Smid-Petry
Fistric-J. Schultz
Klefbom-N. Schultz

Dubnyk
???

Is that a playoff team? It'll definitely be an exciting team.
I like Fistric, but I think he's a 3rd pairing guy. Too bad. I was watching him when he was 15 years old. He was a beast. When he was 16 he was taking dudes heads off. Loved watching him play Seatltle. They had a few bullies on their team that didn't know when to shut up or who not to pick on.

Really thought he had the potential to turn into a top pairing stay at home d-man. His outlet passes looked pretty good at the WHL level. Nothing to write home about in the NHL.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote