HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Edmonton Eskimos (IV): playoffs @ Toronto next week; Tillman fired

Closed Thread

Old
10-25-2012, 11:14 PM
esks123

vCash: 500
It's kind of funny how quickly "the next one" has jumped from Ward to Jyles to Nichols to Masoli with this regime if what you say is indeed true.

For the record, I haven't written off Nichols or Masoli just yet.

Old
10-26-2012, 12:17 AM
jadeddog

i've always had the biggest hope for masoli... he just seems like the exact type of QB that should be good in the CFL... i'm not saying that he *will* be good, but rather he seems to have the tools... guess we'll have to wait and see

Old
10-26-2012, 09:24 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Yup, Reilly sucks. I wish that Cuthbert and Suitor were calling this game after their hyperbolic fawning last week.

Old
10-26-2012, 09:52 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Yup, Reilly sucks. I wish that Cuthbert and Suitor were calling this game after their hyperbolic fawning last week.
Just of note this is a nothing game for BC with absolutely nothing on the line. First place sewn up, they would have no problem giving the Stamps a false sense of security going into the playoffs.

I Reilly wouldn't take anything out of what occurs in this matchup. As hard up as I am for any sports lately I'm not even watching honestly.

Old
10-26-2012, 09:52 PM
PDO

Send a message via AIM to PDO
Quote:
BC as a whole looks like a team that's on the road, in the cold, and knows they have nothing to play for.

Old
10-26-2012, 09:54 PM
PDO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Just of note this is a nothing game for BC with absolutely nothing on the line. First place sewn up, they would have no problem giving the Stamps a false sense of security going into the playoffs.

I Reilly wouldn't take anything out of what occurs in this matchup. As hard up as I am for any sports lately I'm not even watching honestly.
I was hoping BC would show up and we could have a decent game on TV... no such luck.

This is bad news for the EE too. Trestman now has the easiest way imaginable to get his teams attention, and that's quite simply show up, or you'll be embarrassed like BC was.

Old
10-26-2012, 09:57 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by esks123 View Post
It's kind of funny how quickly "the next one" has jumped from Ward to Jyles to Nichols to Masoli with this regime if what you say is indeed true.

For the record, I haven't written off Nichols or Masoli just yet.
I have written off Nichols because I've seen his arm. It doesn't take a long time to get an impression that its weaksauce. Which for some QB's would be salvageable but if you got a limp noodle of an arm you had better be great at reads, be mobile, buy time, and be smart out on the football field.

I really see very little of that with Nichols. I see a guy often looking overwhelmed and confused out there.

Masoli, who knows. I like what I've heard but we haven't seen him in gametime so its a mystery.

Just one last comment. If this club had any serious intent on developing Nichols he would've ended up seeing more action in the Lions game. It seemed as if there was no limit to how much Joseph was struggling and that there was no serious intent to get Nichols some valuable time. I wonder what the Esks were thinking as a QB like Reilly just decimated anything they had ever seen from Nichols. As in OK guys, clearly we got chopped liver in the stable, next..

Old
10-26-2012, 10:01 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDO View Post
I was hoping BC would show up and we could have a decent game on TV... no such luck.

This is bad news for the EE too. Trestman now has the easiest way imaginable to get his teams attention, and that's quite simply show up, or you'll be embarrassed like BC was.
My take is we need the W in Montreal. Not sure I want them waiting the last week to try to get the crossover.

I have good feelings about the Montreal game but thats assuming Howard is a go. If Howard isn't all bets are off.

But the Eskimos are clearly approaching the Montreal game as must win. Just wanting to dress Charles, who has a knee problem this weekend is indicative that they feel that if they don't win this one its big trouble anyway. Its all or nothin time it seems.

Old
10-26-2012, 10:03 PM
PDO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
My take is we need the W in Montreal. Not sure I want them waiting the last week to try to get the crossover.

I have good feelings about the Montreal game but thats assuming Howard is a go. If Howard isn't all bets are off.

But the Eskimos are clearly approaching the Montreal game as must win. Just wanting to dress Charles, who has a knee problem this weekend is indicative that they feel that if they don't win this one its big trouble anyway. Its all or nothin time it seems.
I'm assuming you've seen the numbers in our last 4 games @ Montreal.... I have less than zero faith, though that's probably not shocking to many here.

We simply don't win there, and haven't even been competitive in a long time.

They whooped us here when we were playing much better ball than we are now. I suspect this games over by half time with AC taking us to school.

Howard isn't Suggs, I highly doubt he's in football shape after this much time off...

Old
10-26-2012, 10:04 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
BC as a whole looks like a team that's on the road, in the cold, and knows they have nothing to play for.
They also know they won't be playing anywhere in this weather again for another year.

Just sit by the heaters men and tough it out.. Keep your eyes out for Polar Bears.

Yeah I know it isn't even cold by Canadian standards but for most of these guys its lethal temperature.

Too bad we can't ever face the Leos at home in November. Like thats ever happening.

Old
10-26-2012, 10:06 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
I'm assuming you've seen the numbers in our last 4 games @ Montreal.... I have less than zero faith, though that's probably not shocking to many here.

We simply don't win there, and haven't even been competitive in a long time.
Oh I know.

Its hope based. Edmonton+Mcgill is usually disaster.

But its why they play the games. We'll win. This will be the Esks team that showed up against the Riders.

Old
10-27-2012, 12:15 PM
Six in O6

Quote:
This fact alone kept me from making the road trip down. As the game in Edmonton this year showed, we could easily be in for a rough loss on the flip of a coin.

Old
10-27-2012, 12:35 PM
Moneypuck

Have a laptop and internet, is it possible to be able to see theseCFL games on TSN online?

Old
10-27-2012, 01:00 PM
Beerfish

Someone that writes off Nicholls after about two games and clings to Jyles as a good Qb like grim death....seems about right.

Old
10-27-2012, 01:11 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
Someone that writes off Nicholls after about two games and clings to Jyles as a good Qb like grim death....seems about right.
Nichols can't throw the ball with any authority. Even in situations that required him to gun it in there. How many reps does one need to see to determine "weak arm"

If I'm in the gym and I see that somebody can only bench press 100lbs how long does it take to determine they have weak arms?

Look, after how highly this kid was touted by the org as the "next guy" his actual onfield play has left a lot to be desired. Especially after a game in which we see Reilly tearing it up in his first start.

Hey maybe I'm frustrated and writing Nichols off in your impression but in this day and age theres zero excuse for a QB not having a strong arm. If this is your livelihood at least come equipped with the tools.

Old
10-27-2012, 02:34 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

22-3 for the Ti-Cats at the half. This game is probably locked up and let's be honest, the 'Cats will probably beat Argos next week as well.

It's going to be a tall order for the Eskimos to win in Montreal and Calgary will probably beat them again. Lights out, Eskies.

Old
10-27-2012, 02:38 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

When Buck Pierce doesn't have concussions... he has shoulder injuries. Just retire. Stop this nonsense.

Old
10-27-2012, 02:41 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
22-3 for the Ti-Cats at the half. This game is probably locked up and let's be honest, the 'Cats will probably beat Argos next week as well.

It's going to be a tall order for the Eskimos to win in Montreal and Calgary will probably beat them again. Lights out, Eskies.

If Toronto loses to the Riders in Sask (likely), and the scenarios that you stated above occur, don't the Esks get in as a crossover team over the Argos since we've beaten them twice?

Old
10-27-2012, 02:45 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
If Toronto loses to the Riders in Sask (likely), and the scenarios that you stated above occur, don't the Esks get in as a crossover team over the Argos since we've beaten them twice?
I'm under the impression that winning the season series is irrelevant when it comes to the crossover. If we're tied with either the Ti-Cats or the Argos then the East team gets the playoff spot. The Esks have to finish with a better record.

Old
10-27-2012, 02:47 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 369
Chris O'Leary ‏@olearychris
Kerry Joseph has been playing with a chipped bone in the pinky finger in his throwing hand since Labour Day

Chris O'Leary ‏@olearychris
Joseph said he didn't have to change anything with throwing technique. Finger might be permanently damaged though

Old
10-27-2012, 02:56 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
I'm under the impression that winning the season series is irrelevant when it comes to the crossover. If we're tied with either the Ti-Cats or the Argos then the East team gets the playoff spot. The Esks have to finish with a better record.
This unfortunately is true.

Argos also have the benefit of an easier schedule having faced more Eastern opponents.

So its kind of a double whammy sting if the Argos were to get in instead of us. Certainly don't deserve it. Argos are clearly the worst team in the nation right now.

Old
10-27-2012, 03:30 PM
Kyle McMahon

I've got a bad feeling about the way this is shaping up. Just like two years ago when a playoff spot seemed to be near certain with two weeks left, but the only combination of wins and losses that could keep us out happened and sure enough. We need to win one of these last two, simple as that. You really can't entrust your fate to other teams.

Hamilton does have to go into Toronto next Thursday, and the Cats are awful on the road. I think the Argos can beat them at the Dome, especially since the Argos will probably need a win in that game to ensure themselves a playoff spot. So it is possible we could have clinched a playoff spot by next Friday even with a loss in Montreal, but I really don't want it to come down to that. If there's a chance the Stamps could knock us out of the playoffs, you know those ****** will manage to fluke out another win.

Old
10-27-2012, 03:33 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

The Stamps playoff practice rehearsal was this week.

They'll very likely be sitting a lot of regulars next week.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Old
10-27-2012, 03:47 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Nah. Calgary teams always try to bring their A games against Edmonton... even when the contest is meaningless to them.

Old
10-27-2012, 04:31 PM
#ualberta

Edmonton is 7-9 Hamilton after today's win is 6-11 so Hamilton must win their last game and we must lose our remaining 2 games in order for us to miss the playoffs with a tough schedule that looks like its gonna happen

Closed Thread