HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The KHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The KHL Discuss the Continental Hockey League (Kontinentalnaya Hokkeynaya Liga).

Overall quality of KHL,will it improve?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-31-2012, 04:55 AM
  #1
BalticWarrior
Registered User
 
BalticWarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Riga
Country: Latvia
Posts: 4,682
vCash: 500
Overall quality of KHL,will it improve?

I`ve been a fan of Dinamo Rīga and KHL for 5 years now,but since then i have seen little imrpovements for the league itself.

First off-Arenas,most arenas in khl are below 10 000 only few are 10 000 +,also most arenas are in bad shape like the incident with salavt uleav arena flooding and ofcourse the horrid Barys arena,i understand theres new arenas beeing built and all that but progress is way slower than it should be imo.

Second-Quality of broadcasts-Novokuzneck and Magnitogorsk are the worst offenders,you litterally can`t see a thing from those broadcast theyre horrible,whats postive is that in the case of quality broadcasts khl is making improvements Omsk will have HD broadcasts,so is Rīga and few other teams too,but still this is also a problem the league should adress.

Third-The commentators-Most of the commentators on KHL-TV are just plain boring with no passion or love for the game at all,if they want to attract new viewers to the league this also a very improtant piece

Fourth-Marketing and Commercials-this aspects hasnt improved not one bit-if KHL wants fans from Finalnd,Sweden,US,Canada,KHL has to present itself ALOT better.
Thoughts? do you think the quality of KHL will improve or will it stay the same?

BalticWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 05:43 AM
  #2
Vicente
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cologne
Country: Germany
Posts: 1,517
vCash: 500
I think most of your points are really good. They have to much concentrated on expansion in recent years IMO. They now have a group of teams they can keep for a couple of years before further expansion and they should have better arenas, marketing etc (especially for people in Western Europe/North America) there should be more to follow the league (English commentators, KHL TV like they have it for the NHL and you could see it everywhere in the world) etc.

Arenas is a good point but at least we get some great ones in the future with the relocation of Lev to O2 Arena for 2013/14 season (thats pretty sure) and with the arena for Donetsk that has to be built.

Vicente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 06:35 AM
  #3
ult
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 1,754
vCash: 500
You're talking nonsense. And your point about Ufa arena is ********. If you think KHL didn't improve over 4 years you need a reality check. And I don't even want to waste time to point out obvious things.

ult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 08:30 AM
  #4
ALF AmericanLionsFan
Registered User
 
ALF AmericanLionsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Cleveland, Ohio USA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,573
vCash: 500
I just wish they would get some type of tv deal here in the States. At least a game of the week or something. Can't say I really enjoy sitting in front of a computer to watch.

ALF AmericanLionsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 10:00 AM
  #5
Vicente
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cologne
Country: Germany
Posts: 1,517
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ult View Post
You're talking nonsense. And your point about Ufa arena is ********. If you think KHL didn't improve over 4 years you need a reality check. And I don't even want to waste time to point out obvious things.
Off course a lot has been done over the last years. After a lot of people said KHL would probably fail really fast, the league turned out to be very stable and even has now teams of 7 different countries. Also arenas are far better than they were at the beginning, medical staff, ads etc are better, but come on. There is still a lot that can be done to improve the league even more. What is your problem with wanting to improve things?

Vicente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 10:37 AM
  #6
BalticWarrior
Registered User
 
BalticWarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Riga
Country: Latvia
Posts: 4,682
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicente View Post
Off course a lot has been done over the last years. After a lot of people said KHL would probably fail really fast, the league turned out to be very stable and even has now teams of 7 different countries. Also arenas are far better than they were at the beginning, medical staff, ads etc are better, but come on. There is still a lot that can be done to improve the league even more. What is your problem with wanting to improve things?
This is what im saying,ult took it too personal.Im not dissing the league im just saying theres still alot of improving to do.

BalticWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 10:39 AM
  #7
ult
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 1,754
vCash: 500
My problem is this "also most arenas are in bad shape like the incident with salavt uleav" -(wow that spelling) -"arena flooding". Seriously? Ufa arena is in bad shape because 1 guy has drilled a hole too deep? As for tv broadcast I bet this guy doesn't even know the cost of a single 10-camera ob van.

And his last sentence... It's to much for me, Vicente, sorry but I can't take that guy seriously.

ult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 10:42 AM
  #8
BalticWarrior
Registered User
 
BalticWarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Riga
Country: Latvia
Posts: 4,682
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ult View Post
My problem is this "also most arenas are in bad shape like the incident with salavt uleav" -(wow that spelling) -"arena flooding". Seriously? Ufa arena is in bad shape because 1 guy has drilled a hole too deep? As for tv broadcast I bet this guy doesn't even know the cost of a single 10-camera ob van.

And his last sentence... It's to much for me, Vicente, sorry but I can't take that guy seriously.
Jesus christ dude will you calm down,ok that was a bad example,but still point remains.
There alot of flaws,but theres also alot of good things about KHL.

BalticWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 10:45 AM
  #9
BalticWarrior
Registered User
 
BalticWarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Riga
Country: Latvia
Posts: 4,682
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ult View Post
My problem is this "also most arenas are in bad shape like the incident with salavt uleav" -(wow that spelling) -"arena flooding". Seriously? Ufa arena is in bad shape because 1 guy has drilled a hole too deep? As for tv broadcast I bet this guy doesn't even know the cost of a single 10-camera ob van.

And his last sentence... It's to much for me, Vicente, sorry but I can't take that guy seriously.
And it doesnt matter how much it costs if KHL wants to be a competitive league on par with NHL,this should not be a problem.

BalticWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 10:46 AM
  #10
Yakushev72
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,836
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helo View Post
I`ve been a fan of Dinamo Rīga and KHL for 5 years now,but since then i have seen little imrpovements for the league itself.

First off-Arenas,most arenas in khl are below 10 000 only few are 10 000 +,also most arenas are in bad shape like the incident with salavt uleav arena flooding and ofcourse the horrid Barys arena,i understand theres new arenas beeing built and all that but progress is way slower than it should be imo.

Second-Quality of broadcasts-Novokuzneck and Magnitogorsk are the worst offenders,you litterally can`t see a thing from those broadcast theyre horrible,whats postive is that in the case of quality broadcasts khl is making improvements Omsk will have HD broadcasts,so is Rīga and few other teams too,but still this is also a problem the league should adress.

Third-The commentators-Most of the commentators on KHL-TV are just plain boring with no passion or love for the game at all,if they want to attract new viewers to the league this also a very improtant piece

Fourth-Marketing and Commercials-this aspects hasnt improved not one bit-if KHL wants fans from Finalnd,Sweden,US,Canada,KHL has to present itself ALOT better.
Thoughts? do you think the quality of KHL will improve or will it stay the same?
I was optimistic about the KHL at the start, but it has turned out to be much better than I thought it would be at this stage. The quality of play keeps getting better and better, and if you want to talk about arenas, you have to compare it to what arenas looked like in the old days. IMHO, the level of growth and development has been amazing! I just hope it can be sustained and built on.

Yakushev72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 10:48 AM
  #11
BalticWarrior
Registered User
 
BalticWarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Riga
Country: Latvia
Posts: 4,682
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakushev72 View Post
I was optimistic about the KHL at the start, but it has turned out to be much better than I thought it would be at this stage. The quality of play keeps getting better and better, and if you want to talk about arenas, you have to compare it to what arenas looked like in the old days. IMHO, the level of growth and development has been amazing! I just hope it can be sustained and built on.
I agree, but still theres alot to improve.

BalticWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 10:51 AM
  #12
ult
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 1,754
vCash: 500
What point? You mean this question? "do you think the quality of KHL will improve or will it stay the same?"

Sure, even though the quality of KHL has been steadily growing, since today there will be no more improvements and KHL will stay the same. Bunch of new arenas, khl-tv with 8 mln subscribers and new khl-tv hd channel will all be canceled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helo View Post
And it doesnt matter how much it costs if KHL wants to be a competitive league on par with NHL,this should not be a problem.
Sure, just give them 10-15 million dollars and they'll happily buy those. As well as 200-300 millions for new 20000 seat arenas. Yeah, and they want them right NOW, so hurry up.

ult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 10:53 AM
  #13
Vicente
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cologne
Country: Germany
Posts: 1,517
vCash: 500
Off course equipment is always expensive but couldn't KHL introduce a system where they sell packages for all games online to the fans like the NHL does? With that earnings they could pay a huge amount of the money for new equipment.

500,000 x 50$ and we already have 25,000,000$ but before off course get damn English commentators.

For example in Germany and Austria we can see the KHL games broadcast by laola1.tv (its web tv) without commentary thats so stupid...

Vicente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 10:53 AM
  #14
BalticWarrior
Registered User
 
BalticWarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Riga
Country: Latvia
Posts: 4,682
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ult View Post
What point? You mean this question? "do you think the quality of KHL will improve or will it stay the same?"

Sure, even though the quality of KHL has been steadily growing, since today there will be no more improvements and KHL will stay the same. Bunch of new arenas, khl-tv with 8 mln subscribers and new khl-tv hd channel will all be canceled.



Sure, just give them 10-15 million dollars and they'll happily buy those. As well as 200-300 millions for new 20000 seat arenas.
I was talking about arenas.

BalticWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 10:56 AM
  #15
BalticWarrior
Registered User
 
BalticWarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Riga
Country: Latvia
Posts: 4,682
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ult View Post
Sure, just give them 10-15 million dollars and they'll happily buy those. As well as 200-300 millions for new 20000 seat arenas. Yeah, and they want them right NOW, so hurry up.
You really think that if they REALLY wanted to do this,they wouldnt have enough money? thats ridiciolous,theres huge oil company money comming in but most of it rich clubs spend on player salaries not improving their club.

BalticWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 10:57 AM
  #16
Vicente
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cologne
Country: Germany
Posts: 1,517
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helo View Post
I was talking about arenas.
Believe me. At a certain point a team without a decent arena has no future in KHL and then they have to build a new one or they have to leave KHL. There are places like Sochi and in Western Europe that could take their spots in the league. NHL also didnt have only perfect arenas at the begin.

Vicente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 11:00 AM
  #17
BalticWarrior
Registered User
 
BalticWarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Riga
Country: Latvia
Posts: 4,682
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicente View Post
Believe me. At a certain point a team without a decent arena has no future in KHL and then they have to build a new one or they have to leave KHL. There are places like Sochi and in Western Europe that could take their spots in the league. NHL also didnt have only perfect arenas at the begin.
I understand and agree but the comparsion to NHL is not right imo.

BalticWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 11:02 AM
  #18
ult
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 1,754
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicente View Post
Off course equipment is always expensive but couldn't KHL introduce a system where they sell packages for all games online to the fans like the NHL does? With that earnings they could pay a huge amount of the money for new equipment.

500,000 x 50$ and we already have 25,000,000$ but before off course get damn English commentators.

For example in Germany and Austria we can see the KHL games broadcast by laola1.tv (its web tv) without commentary thats so stupid...
It's Russia. You think people will pay 50$ to watch games online? When they can watch them for free?

KHL-TV costs 50 rubles monthly. Sport 1 HD that sometimes is broadcasting KHL games in HD costs 60 rubles ($2). I guess half of that is the providers share. It's not that big of revenue compared to the costs of equipment and arenas. Tickets are also cheap. And there is nothing KHL can do about it. Right now KHL is in stage of huge investments in everything without any hope for revenue. And they do invest a lot.

ult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 11:04 AM
  #19
Vicente
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cologne
Country: Germany
Posts: 1,517
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helo View Post
I understand and agree but the comparsion to NHL is not right imo.
But NHL could chose their expansions teams easily and decided only to have teams in big cities with great arenas. In the case of KHL they had to start with the Superleague teams that often had not the best arenas and were placed in rather small places with low money. What would have been the alternative? Say we have a 10-team league? They do it step by step now and that is the best way IMO.

New teams HC Lev (going to play in O2 Arena already this year 4 times and from next season on probably forever), Donetsk (gets new arena) and Slovan (has a mondernized, great arena) already are part of that ideology.

Vicente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 11:07 AM
  #20
Vicente
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cologne
Country: Germany
Posts: 1,517
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ult View Post
It's Russia. You think people will pay 50$ to watch games online? When they can watch them for free?

KHL-TV costs 50 rubles monthly. Sport 1 HD that sometimes is broadcasting KHL games in HD costs 60 rubles ($2). I guess half of that is the providers share. It's not that big of revenue compared to the costs of equipment and arenas. Tickets are also cheap. And there is nothing KHL can do about it. Right now KHL is in stage of huge investments in everything without any hope for revenue. And they do invest a lot.
But KHL-TV how it is now is for Russians only, am I right? But KHL-TV for foreigners (Western Europe, North America) would make sense. Thats why I want English-language commentators. Do you really think KHL should waste such an opportunity to make the league far more attractive for fans in Sweden, Finland, Germany, Switzerland etc?

Vicente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 11:08 AM
  #21
vorky
@vorkywh24
 
vorky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 7,256
vCash: 500
Helo

I agree that many thing must be improved. I dont agree with arenas. It is not possible to build new one within a few years. The most important thing, club/KHL must be popular among fans to consider building new arena. Yes, all KHL clubs could build new arenas in 2009-2012, but why to do it? to build 15 000 arena for 5 000 fans? Any sense? Imagine, all clubs would have new arenas, but was new matches in tv (because league and clubs invest into arena instead of KHL TV and local tvs)

KHL adopted rule about new arenas (must be for 12+ ppl). Why? Becase dont care?

Broadcast - yes, many things must be done. Do you think that local tv broadcasters have money to buy new cameras? How expensive is it? In USA(Canada) it is not problem because TSN etc have such equipment. But slovak tv broadcasters dont have it. What about russian broadcasters? latvian?

Why KHL cooperate with Youtube? Is it bad?

I am sure KHL will improve. There is pressure to KHL to improve, because tv rights are sold to whole world, so must fullfill standards. Arenas are building now (11 or 12 as I remember).

IMO KHL needs expansion to Germany, german club/tv broadcasters/marketers etc could make improvement faster... I believe.

vorky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 11:09 AM
  #22
BalticWarrior
Registered User
 
BalticWarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Riga
Country: Latvia
Posts: 4,682
vCash: 500
To ult,watch this video tu understand what i mean.

BalticWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 11:11 AM
  #23
ult
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 1,754
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helo View Post
You really think that if they REALLY wanted to do this,they wouldnt have enough money? thats ridiciolous,theres huge oil company money comming in but most of it rich clubs spend on player salaries not improving their club.
The rich clubs have everything. SKA has great arena and great tv coverage. It's poor clubs you're complaining about - Novokuznetsk, Barys and others. Omsk have bought themselves all equipment, and they own their arena. Ufa, Kazan and some other teams don't have to buy any equipment because the government has bought it for Olympic games. So it was clever of them to wait out. And their arenas are modern and relatively new. And if you think that 200-300 millions for new arena is nothing - you've got the wrong impression. It is a lot, for whatever oil company you might think of.

And that video is already outdated. Ask traktorbang.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicente View Post
But KHL-TV how it is now is for Russians only, am I right? But KHL-TV for foreigners (Western Europe, North America) would make sense. Thats why I want English-language commentators. Do you really think KHL should waste such an opportunity to make the league far more attractive for fans in Sweden, Finland, Germany, Switzerland etc?
They sold tv rights to 30 countries. I'm not sure they'd make more money from KHL-TV in west europe.

ult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 11:12 AM
  #24
Vicente
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cologne
Country: Germany
Posts: 1,517
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vorky View Post
Why KHL cooperate with Youtube? Is it bad?

I am sure KHL will improve. There is pressure to KHL to improve, because tv rights are sold to whole world, so must fullfill standards. Arenas are building now (11 or 12 as I remember).

IMO KHL needs expansion to Germany, german club/tv broadcasters/marketers etc could make improvement faster... I believe.
I think full KHL games on Youtube are geo-blocked (at least for Germany): But of course I love the recaps of the games there. ^^

They should have a deal with Laola1.tv and Servus TV (they show DEL and EBEL) in really great quality. You even can hear players talk with the refs and players on the bench there. That is so amazing. ^^

Vicente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 11:18 AM
  #25
ult
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 1,754
vCash: 500
As for tv equipment go check http://panoramahd.ru/en. They've spent $250 millions for 12 ob vans that will be located all across Russia. That's the main reason why they're launching KHL-TV HD this season.

ult is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:34 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.