HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

A thread for every player: Ryan Murphy

Old
08-04-2012, 06:49 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
A thread for every player: Ryan Murphy

Ryan Murphy

(rankings among Kitchener Rangers defensemen)

GP: 49 (out of 68)
Goals: 11 (2nd)
Assists: 43 (1st)
PIM: 30 (5th)

Height: 5'11"
Weight: 176lb

Contract status: RFA in 2015
Current contract: 3yr, $2.775M ($1.344M in the NHL, $70K in the AHL)
Acquired: Drafted 12th overall in 2011

I'm a little worried about this season for Murphy. He is not AHL-eligible, doesn't have the frame or the defensive ability for the NHL, and won't benefit much from another year in juniors. This is one of those cases where the junior/pro rules really screw with a good player's development. I'm not sure I like where this is heading.

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 07:33 AM
Oenatzu
Chad-in-the-Box

I'd try him out during the training camp and maybe a few games with the big team and then send him back to Kitchener if he really is not ready. There's no point to keep him in the NHL if he's not going to get regular minutes. And junior minutes are still better than no minutes at all.
With another year in the juniors and with proven offensive skills he can now focus on the defensive part and on building his complete game to be ready to turn professional next season.

Oenatzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 07:55 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
years like this are why I hate the CHL-NHL agreement. Some sort of exemption for a team to pick one prospect every 2-3 years would be ideal.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 08:09 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

I just hope that the Kitchener coaching staff takes his development seriously enough to potentially lose games as a result of reeling Murphy in and forcing him to play to his weaknesses. Not many junior coaches are interested in that approach, since their jobs are preserved by winning games.

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 12:01 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
yeeeeee

Kill him.

Anton Dubinchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 12:35 PM
Boom Boom Anton

I think this is a good spot to re-post this article about Murphy from his coaches point of view.

http://thehockeywriters.com/shj/kitc...s-ryan-murphy/

It's interesting that the coach mentions how close Murphy is to Skinner. Murphy is also friends with Di Giuseppe as they went to high school together.

Boom Boom Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 12:59 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

.... interesting:

http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/unfiltered/?p=274

Quote:
Yzerman believes players with three seasons of junior experience should be allowed to play in the American Hockey League. As it stands, junior-aged players can play only in the Canadian Hockey League or in the NHL.

“We talk about it all the time,” Yzerman told the Tampa Bay Times. “We would like to have, particularly guys who have played three years in junior that when we feel it’s time to go to another level, we’d rather see them in the American League.”

However what was more interesting is what was said about this on CBC’s Hotstove:

Francis: The agreement between the CHL and the NHL ends in July. I’ve talked to some people in the CHL, they are furious at the mere mention of this because they really think it would hurt the biggest developmental league the NHL has.

My take: The fact it ends in July is a HUGE detail for this issue. The CHL-NHL agreement has been a huge secret and so hard to get any actual information on, so such a crucial aspect being revealed is significant. Next is the CHL’s complaint about the league suffering, here was what I said on that last year:
I didn't hear anything about it either expiring or being renewed, so I wonder what the status is, or if that will be addressed after the CBA (which means Murphy could play in the AHL during the lockout).

Old
08-04-2012, 01:34 PM
Carolinas Identity
I'm a bad troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
.... interesting:

http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/unfiltered/?p=274

I didn't hear anything about it either expiring or being renewed, so I wonder what the status is, or if that will be addressed after the CBA (which means Murphy could play in the AHL during the lockout).
So it's over now? Pending something new?

Carolinas Identity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 01:40 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

it was allowed to be like that the last lockout as well, which led to players who otherwise would have been ineligible (Bergeron, Horton) to play in the AHL, though I don't know for sure if that wasn't simply because they had already played in the NHL the year before and were therefore exempted.

Old
08-04-2012, 02:38 PM
Boom Boom Anton

This is one of two things I'd like to see changed so that guys like Murphy can play in the AHL. The other is allowing guys who stay in college 4 years to become free agents (like Schultz just did). Seems odd to penalize a team that allows a guy to continue to develop in college vs. trying to force him to turn pro.

Boom Boom Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 02:51 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Anton View Post
This is one of two things I'd like to see changed so that guys like Murphy can play in the AHL. The other is allowing guys who stay in college 4 years to become free agents (like Schultz just did). Seems odd to penalize a team that allows a guy to continue to develop in college vs. trying to force him to turn pro.
Yep. I doubt the CHL will eliminate NCAA to CHL transfers as long as the CHL can benefit while the NCAA can't (and that's something the NCAA should change their rules on to allow them to strike back). But it would be spectacular if the NHL-CHL agreement was modified if not flat out nullified, and the NCAA loophole was closed. IMO if you play at the NCAA level but refuse to sign with the team that drafted you either after jumping to the CHL or playing all 4 years, you should be subject to draft re-entry instead of getting to pick your team.

IMO losing the rights that teams had over drafted European "project" players really hurt as well. It's led to the draft being FAR more NA biased then it used to be.

Bring back the 9 rounds. Close the NCAA loophole. And either bring back the old euro draftee rules or extend it to 4 years (NCAA term).

Old
10-18-2012, 08:45 AM
Lixxiq
@Lixxiq

What are your thoughts now on Murphy?

I think he won't make the team without training-camp and an entire pre-season and he also "struggles" now at the rookie level.
Yes, I already read that he has kind of bad luck and doesn't play as what his numbers predict, but he's an offensive weapon and that's why he also will be measured by the numbers he put up.

Lixxiq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 11:16 AM
TheBigKahuna

It will be the fall of 2013 before Murphy gets a crack at the NHL. Moot point right now.

TheBigKahuna is offline   Reply With Quote