HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Football
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Football NFL, NCAA, CFL

Coaching changes and speculation thread Part II (Texas STRONG)

Closed Thread

Old
12-04-2012, 03:35 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reality Check View Post
FAIL

But it's a smart move on his part seeing as Wisconsin is going to become an afterthought
Well, Wisconsin has been operating at or near their ceiling for years now and there's no sign of that ceiling rising up really. They are what they are and it seems pretty much to be their destiny to be "that hard-running Big Ten team with a good O-Line who will sniff national recognition only when Michigan and OSU have down years/aren't eligible (in OSU's case)"

At a place like Arkansas your ceiling is basically, if we are entirely honest, determined by how much your boosters are willing to spend and how good you are at looking the other way/covering it up.

Old
12-04-2012, 03:38 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Well, Wisconsin has been operating at or near their ceiling for years now and there's no sign of that ceiling rising up really. They are what they are and it seems pretty much to be their destiny to be "that hard-running Big Ten team with a good O-Line who will sniff national recognition only when Michigan and OSU have down years/aren't eligible (in OSU's case)"

At a place like Arkansas your ceiling is basically, if we are entirely honest, determined by how much your boosters are willing to spend and how good you are at looking the other way/covering it up.
Expect Bielema to show up in a luxury box at Cowboys Stadium any day now.

Old
12-04-2012, 03:42 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Jeff Svoboda ‏@JeffSvoboda
Multiple outlets say Darrell Hazell to Purdue. Will be quite a challenge for him, but I have no doubts about his abilities.

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
Old
12-04-2012, 03:44 PM
End of Line
Human After All

CBSSportsBigTen ‏@CBSSportsBigTen
Per @jaypo1961 Bielema will get more than $4 million at Arkansas http://*******/WHtlec #badgers

Old
12-04-2012, 03:47 PM
Clowe Me

Ball is gone after this game. Plus, Arkansas is the better job of the two.

I don't blame him.

Old
12-04-2012, 03:50 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Matt McCoy ‏@MattMcCoyWTVN
Earle Bruce, on whether Bielema's power football Wisconsin philosphy will translate in the SEC: "Well, it works pretty well for Alabama."

Old
12-04-2012, 03:52 PM
NoNecksCurse

the SEC just keeps getting stronger and taking from the less fortunate (sarcasm)

anyone else find this move kind of... strange?

Old
12-04-2012, 03:54 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Stewart Mandel ‏@slmandel
RT @SIPeteThamel: BREAKING: BC will hire Temple Coach Steve Addazio. Team meetings at 5 at both places. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...zio/index.html

Old
12-04-2012, 04:32 PM
Central PA Hawk Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowe Me View Post

I don't blame him.
I'm not so sure about that, they're pretty close but atleast Wisky fans are reasonable and have perspective. Arkansas might have the most irrational fans wrt expectations and actual on field results. 8-5 will get him fired. Atleast he's getting big dough, but $2.5 mil and knowing you won't be run off at the first sign of trouble was IMO to much of a sure thing.

Old
12-04-2012, 04:37 PM
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into

Quote:
Originally Posted by End of Line View Post
CBSSportsBigTen ‏@CBSSportsBigTen
Per @jaypo1961 Bielema will get more than $4 million at Arkansas http://*******/WHtlec #badgers
Expect a change.org petition in the future calling for Jerry Jones to be removed as an Arkansas booster.

Old
12-04-2012, 04:41 PM
BPR*

So, the B1G is going to piss all over its tradition and brand in the name of a few bucks and then the schools are going to refuse to shell out that money to keep their teams competitive?

Old
12-04-2012, 04:56 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
the SEC just keeps getting stronger and taking from the less fortunate (sarcasm)

anyone else find this move kind of... strange?
Saw a post from a high school coach in Palm Beach County which Bielema heavily recruits that Bielema took a lot of heat for the 5 losses this year and he doesn't have the kind of skin for that.

So moving to the SEC sounds like a logical next step. They don't take football seriously there at all. I give it 4 years before he's fired.

Old
12-04-2012, 04:57 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Quote:

I don't blame him.
Umm, Ball is probably the third most talented running back that is currently on the team.

Old
12-04-2012, 05:03 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralsFan24 View Post
Saw a post from a high school coach in Palm Beach County which Bielema heavily recruits that Bielema took a lot of heat for the 5 losses this year and he doesn't have the kind of skin for that.

So moving to the SEC sounds like a logical next step. They don't take football seriously there at all. I give it 4 years before he's fired.
Arkansas is probably one of the worst jobs in the country if you can't stand the heat. It's a classic program where the teams they look at as their measuring stick are actually much better (LSU, Bama even Texas). That state is full of Boss Hogs who expect NC contention on a regular basis.

Old
12-04-2012, 05:04 PM
KevFist
is best pony

Very happy to see my Tigers name Gus Malzahn as Head Coach. The biggest thing is going to be bringing discipline back to the team. They had a good selection committee......After all, Bo Jackson was on it, and we all know.....

Old
12-04-2012, 05:08 PM
KevFist
is best pony

Quote:
Arkansas is probably one of the worst jobs in the country if you can't stand the heat. It's a classic program where the teams they look at as their measuring stick are actually much better (LSU, Bama even Texas). That state is full of Boss Hogs who expect NC contention on a regular basis.
And this is what amazes me. they can't even win the SEC west, much less contend for a National Championship. On an average year, they're maybe the fourth or fifth best team in the west. Auburn's usually not as bad as they were this past season, and Mississippi State is FAR better than they have been....Throw in A&M, and Arkansas really has to step up to get to where they think they are.

Old
12-04-2012, 05:11 PM
Reality Check

Arkansas didn't learn much after hiring John L. Smith

Old
12-04-2012, 05:18 PM
Clowe Me

Quote:
Umm, Ball is probably the third most talented running back that is currently on the team.
Time will tell....

Old
12-04-2012, 05:20 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Quote:
Time will tell....
Time already is telling. The Badgers have this odd deal where they play their upperclassmen at skill positions even if they aren't the most talented players. John Clay played over Ball even though Ball was much more talented. Ball played over James White even though White is more talented and next year White will likely get the majority of the carries over Melvin Gordon even though Gordon is more talented.

Old
12-04-2012, 05:26 PM
Clowe Me

Quote:
Time already is telling. The Badgers have this odd deal where they play their upperclassmen at skill positions even if they aren't the most talented players. John Clay played over Ball even though Ball was much more talented. Ball played over James White even though White is more talented and next year White will likely get the majority of the carries over Melvin Gordon even though Gordon is more talented.
That will change with a new coach.... I didn't follow them as close as you did but Ball very well may get back to back +1900 yard seasons. Until those other guys do that, Ball is the best on that team.

Old
12-04-2012, 05:37 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

Quote:
That will change with a new coach.... I didn't follow them as close as you did but Ball very well may get back to back +1900 yard seasons. Until those other guys do that, Ball is the best on that team.
Honestly, to me that entire situation is just a sign of how much an O-Line makes or breaks a back. When Wisconsin was going through their O-Line troubles early in the year, Ball looked pretty bad.

Old
12-04-2012, 05:55 PM
Clowe Me

Quote:
Honestly, to me that entire situation is just a sign of how much an O-Line makes or breaks a back. When Wisconsin was going through their O-Line troubles early in the year, Ball looked pretty bad.
Those two positions go hand and hand. It's like a qb is only as good as the guys he's throwing it to.

Old
12-04-2012, 06:06 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

Quote:
Those two positions go hand and hand. It's like a qb is only as good as the guys he's throwing it to.
I sort of disagree, I think a QB makes receivers far more than the other way around. Obviously if you have a synthesis of a great receiver and a great QB like Brady and Moss that one year in New England you get fireworks, but a bad QB is going to render your passing game pretty useless even if you have all-pro receivers whereas a good QB will make your mediocre receivers look passable.

Similarly, a great O-Line can make even dime-a-dozen backs look like worldbeaters, but even a great back will usually look bad behind a bad line.

Old
12-04-2012, 06:10 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Derek Young ‏@Derek11W
RT @GoldandBlackcom: http://GoldandBlack.com has learned that Darrell Hazell has informed his players he's not taking the #Purdue job.

Old
12-04-2012, 06:23 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 625
Brad Tolliver, what happens to SEC-Bielema now that Bret Bielema is actually in the SEC

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
Closed Thread