HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Can Edmonton afford the Oilers?

Old
10-17-2012, 12:34 AM
Bathory67*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaneros View Post
from http://www.edmontonjournal.com

What should the city do now with the downtown arena deal?

Build and operate the new arena without Katz Group and charge the Oilers rent 54.23% (1,135 votes)

Forget about the new arena and renovate Rexall Place 27.09% (567 votes)

Go back to square one with Katz and make a new deal 9.46% (198 votes)

Try to salvage the arena agreement from October 2011 9.22% (193 votes)

Total Votes: 2,093
Return To Poll
Stupid poll ,Katz will find a way to built it .Maybe make a deal with a Rich Iranian family who own our big mall.

Bathory67* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 12:43 AM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bathory67 View Post
The NHL should fold if the oilers are gone ,the oilers are a big part of the NHL.Sure they might not be a original six team but their history and that 80s dynasty and a guy name wanye is a big part of the history of the NHL.
Did Edmonton get relocated to the Toronto area during the lockout or something? It's the only way a comment with this much hubris in it could make any sense at all.

Tarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 12:51 AM
Bathory67*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
Did Edmonton get relocated to the Toronto area during the lockout or something? It's the only way a comment with this much hubris in it could make any sense at all.
What the heck,the oilers are a big part of the league.80s oilers history is a big part of the Idenity of the NHL.

It has nothing to do with where the team was place.

Old
10-17-2012, 01:07 AM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
What the heck,the oilers are a big part of the league.80s oilers history is a big part of the Idenity of the NHL.

It has nothing to do with where the team was place.
The Oilers aren't the center of the hockey universe.

If the team ceased to exist, the rest of the NHL would move on with it - albeit with more virtriol than usual directed at Bettman for a few years.

Old
10-17-2012, 01:44 AM
Up the Irons

vCash: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
The bottom fell out of the Alberta economy in the early eighties and the hockey team survived. The team has been garbage and is playing in front of full houses. If the nhl isnt viable in Edmonton, then the league as a whole isnt viable.
i tend to agree. all this worry about the economy busting.. this is the same risk for 3/4 of the markets in the league. the is a strong case the NHL isn't viable in at least 1/2 the cities.

if the NHL needs a city to pay for a rink, pay the team play in it, give the team all the monies, maintain the facility, upgrade the facility.. then the NHL is not viable in Edmonton and in most cities on the planet.

if we build the arena, that will give us the greatest chance at keeping the Oilers. if that is not enough, then, no, Edmonton can not afford the NHL.

Up the Irons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 02:03 AM
Bathory67*

Quote:
The Oilers aren't the center of the hockey universe.

If the team ceased to exist, the rest of the NHL would move on with it - albeit with more virtriol than usual directed at Bettman for a few years.
Okey so when the jets left Winnipeg ,did people of that city forgot about the team.No ,they went to great length for years to say put a team back on our city.

Remember the Coytes sega ,when they were rumored going back to the peg.Guss what jets fans were getting really annoying in the message boards.

The oilers as a franchise has more importance than Winnipeg.

Last edited by Bathory67*: 10-17-2012 at 02:12 AM.
Old
10-17-2012, 02:07 AM
Bathory67*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustE View Post
i tend to agree. all this worry about the economy busting.. this is the same risk for 3/4 of the markets in the league. the is a strong case the NHL isn't viable in at least 1/2 the cities.

if the NHL needs a city to pay for a rink, pay the team play in it, give the team all the monies, maintain the facility, upgrade the facility.. then the NHL is not viable in Edmonton and in most cities on the planet.

if we build the arena, that will give us the greatest chance at keeping the Oilers. if that is not enough, then, no, Edmonton can not afford the NHL.
:Madfire:the league is not going to move the oilers and the league will try to find another owner to get a team or find a team to relocate to Edmonton.

the arena will get made and it will not be owned by the City.

Old
10-17-2012, 03:10 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
The NHL would never allow a city to own a franchise, nor would a city every buy an NHL franchise.

It's pure fantasy to suggest either as plausible.
They let a teacher's union... i don't see much of a difference.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 03:12 AM
T-Funk

vCash: 1020
Quote:
from http://www.edmontonjournal.com

What should the city do now with the downtown arena deal?

Build and operate the new arena without Katz Group and charge the Oilers rent 54.23% (1,135 votes)

Total Votes: 2,093
Return To Poll
That would be the most terribly run arena in the league guaranteed.

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 03:19 AM
Bathory67*

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
Never have I agreed so much.

Old
10-17-2012, 03:23 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
Yes, the team would relocate.

The city won't be saying they'll buy the team, nor would they ever. Nor would the NHL ever approve it, they didn't even like the idea of EIG owning the Oilers.
The BOG won't approve moving the Oilers. They make money. They make a significant amount of money. Much less can be said for half of the other teams in the league.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 03:26 AM
Bathory67*

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
The BOG won't approve moving the Oilers. They make money. They make a significant amount of money. Much less can be said for half of the other teams in the league.
Yes ,they are also a organizaiton that has the history behind it ,so losing the oilers are a no go.

Also this is just me BUT he sounds like Gary is Anti- Canadian clique with they did not like EIG buying the team.

If they hated EIG so much then why approve the sell to the EIG.

Old
10-17-2012, 03:45 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Stupid poll ,Katz will find a way to built it .Maybe make a deal with a Rich Iranian family who own our big mall.
Yeah I'm sure they got rich from fronting all the money in all their endeavors and not taking back a dime in revenue for 11/12 months.

10-17-2012, 03:49 AM
Bathory67*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Yeah I'm sure they got rich from fronting all the money in all their endeavors and not taking back a dime in revenue for 11/12 months.
Heck they could just go and get all their land in Iran and get their money form their.

Old
10-17-2012, 04:01 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Heck they could just go and get all their land in Iran and get their money form their.
Something got missed in translation here, they wouldn't have kept their wealth by making deals like the city would for Katz. I have no idea who this family is or their net worth, but no matter how wealthy you are if you keep making dumb decisions that wealth will eventually evaporate or shrink significantly.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 04:04 AM
Bathory67*

Quote:
Something got missed in translation here, they wouldn't have kept their wealth by making deals like the city would for Katz. I have no idea who this family is or their net worth, but no matter how wealthy you are if you keep making dumb decisions that wealth will eventually evaporate or shrink significantly.
They have a net worth of 2 billion dollars and the city has made even worst decision and money on thing like a well a stupid art piece.

Old
10-17-2012, 04:08 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Ironically enough the family that you expect to solve all of our woes is worth about twice what Katz is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghermezian_family so not exactly worth so much that they'd be willing to basically piss away $450 million + of their families hard earned wealth to help Katz close in on them.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 04:12 AM
Bathory67*

Quote:
Ironically enough the family that you expect to solve all of our woes is worth about twice what Katz is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghermezian_family so not exactly worth so much that they'd be willing to basically piss away $450 million + of their families hard earned wealth to help Katz close in on them.

the could ask some rich Iranian friends to help and they could make expensive condos and then the Iranian population is going to the roof.

Old
10-17-2012, 05:17 AM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
They let a teacher's union... i don't see much of a difference.
You know of any independently run, multi-billion dollar pension investment firms in the Edmonton region? Quite a bit of a difference between a corporate entity like that(largest in canada), and the City of Edmonton buying the team.

Quote:
Debatable considering the NHL has the worst revenue sharing system of the major sports in North America, and the franchise in question is already claiming they are losing money(something a guess from Forbes does not clarify one way or another). If city council and Katz salt their relationship enough that there is no arena for the forseeable future(10 - 15 years, probably the amount of time it would take the city to getting around to "building it themselves"), the BoG absolutely would vote for relocation of an untethered franchise with desirable markets opening up(Ontario/Quebec).

Saying the BoG will bend over backwards to keep the NHL in Edmonton because they make money(which Katz/Bettman dispute), or the city is entitled to the team, or that anyone is going to split revenue in a 35+ year old venue with little hope of a new arena being built anytime soon(if the deal falls through) - is denying reality.

Old
10-17-2012, 05:27 AM
Fourier

Quote:
Follow what i said.

IF Katz says tomorrow im done , i want to sell.
THE NHL can't find a buyer for Oilers....
Then city steps up and say here is 225 million we want to buy the team.
Do you think Bettmen goona move the team?

I don't think

and if the CITY can fund 500 million to a rink, sure as heck they can fund 220 million instead to buy the team.
The NHL had to subsantially bend their rules to allow a group as big as the EIG own the team. There is no chance that they would allow a city to own a franchise.

Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 05:41 AM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
The bottom fell out of the Alberta economy in the early eighties and the hockey team survived. The team has been garbage and is playing in front of full houses. If the nhl isnt viable in Edmonton, then the league as a whole isnt viable.
What happened in the 80's has no impact on the economic realities of today. At that time gate revenues would have been about $12M per year and salary expenses, which were in $CDN by the way, would have been in the $2-4M range.

Today the Oilers gate revenues are about $55M which is basically on par with what their salary expenses would be even without currency risk.

Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 06:56 AM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

People need to get over this whole ruse that the Edmonton can't lose it's team.

The NHL has made a stand, pay for a building, we will fight for you, if not we won't.

Valic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 07:21 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 7000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
What happened in the 80's has no impact on the economic realities of today. At that time gate revenues would have been about $12M per year and salary expenses, which were in $CDN by the way, would have been in the $2-4M range.

Today the Oilers gate revenues are about $55M which is basically on par with what their salary expenses would be even without currency risk.
So you are saying that the Oilers are no longer sustainable in Edmonton.

Youve convinced me.

Now why in the world should we build a half billion dollar building for a business that the city cannot possibly sustain or afford?

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 07:58 AM
Dorian2
The bag don't lie.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Follow what i said.

IF Katz says tomorrow im done , i want to sell.
THE NHL can't find a buyer for Oilers....
Then city steps up and say here is 225 million we want to buy the team.
Do you think Bettmen goona move the team?

I don't think

and if the CITY can fund 500 million to a rink, sure as heck they can fund 220 million instead to buy the team.
Quoted for truth.

Dorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 08:11 AM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
more interesting, is less than 20 percent or less think the city should work with Katz.....
This should highlight the damage he has done, that won't be fixed by newspaper ads/
It is permanent damage.
Again hard to see how he stays owner after all this .

Habaneros is offline   Reply With Quote