HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Dirty tricks

Closed Thread

Old
01-12-2005, 07:17 PM
CRUNK JUICE

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to CRUNK JUICE
Dirty tricks

I'm a fairly clean player with good size for a beer league (6'2", 220) that's looking to add a little more bite to my game. I typically win all my battles in the corners and other physical contests, like being nearly unmoveable in front of the opposing goalie.

I'm wondering if anyone out there would like to share some of their nastier tricks and tips to put some extra bite into my game (and into the opposing players).

Thanks in advance.

edit: I should also mention that the league I play in is non-checking (which definitely does not mean no contact). Thanks again.

Old
01-12-2005, 08:28 PM
The Old Master

vCash: 50
no your bigger than me and i need every advantage i can get! now if you were 5-6 155 i could help!

Old
01-12-2005, 09:33 PM
usmhuskies

Send a message via AIM to usmhuskies Send a message via Yahoo to usmhuskies
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious Vic
I'm a fairly clean player with good size for a beer league (6'2", 220) that's looking to add a little more bite to my game. I typically win all my battles in the corners and other physical contests, like being nearly unmoveable in front of the opposing goalie.

I'm wondering if anyone out there would like to share some of their nastier tricks and tips to put some extra bite into my game (and into the opposing players).

Thanks in advance.

edit: I should also mention that the league I play in is non-checking (which definitely does not mean no contact). Thanks again.

I am 6'3 225...I bet I could move ya in front of the net: not gonna tell ya how though ...

Old
01-12-2005, 09:38 PM
Kitsune

I'm 5'10", and 148 pounds. I play goalie in street hockey so this one trick that always works to clear the net is to give a player the good ole goalie stick in shins.... they'll NEVER bug you again if you get them hard enough

Old
01-12-2005, 10:38 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Lone Wolf
I'm 5'10", and 148 pounds. I play goalie in street hockey so this one trick that always works to clear the net is to give a player the good ole goalie stick in shins.... they'll NEVER bug you again if you get them hard enough
Damnnn boy...put some meat on your body!

Old
01-13-2005, 10:24 AM
Malefic74

Quote:

Thanks in advance.

I'm a goalie who's 6'4 and 245 lbs. You wouldn't last long in front of my net my friend.

Old
01-13-2005, 10:28 AM
John Flyers Fan

One of my favortie tricks that's guaranteed to piss off a goalie, and is one that if done correctly will rarely be seen or called by a ref:

When the goalie is in his stance, take your stick and whack hard near the end of his stick up by the knob. You can usually knock the stick right out of the goalies hand.

Old
01-13-2005, 12:41 PM
octopi

vCash: 844
Beer league? Jab your pointy, pad covered elbows into anybody's ribs that gets too close to you. Of course, since I'm a 5'6 female, and played in a mixed beer/rec league, it might work better for me than for you.

Old
01-13-2005, 01:12 PM
Toonces
The beer kitty

Dirty tricks?

Hmm, not sure what advice to give you, just always outwork the other guy. You can always slash or spear a guy someplace unprotected too, but those methods are not too hard to figure out.

I have plenty of tips to move guys out from in front of the net, but not too much for forward other than hit the tri-pod.

Be more specific. On the boards, behind the net?

Old
01-13-2005, 01:34 PM
rival

Take the butt end of your stick, put it in the small of their back right between the shoulder pads and the top of the pants and twist. Push in a bit if you want to get an elbow in the face.

Old
01-13-2005, 03:44 PM
PredsFan77*

Send a message via ICQ to PredsFan77* Send a message via AIM to PredsFan77*
Take your stick and hit it against the other guys head.

Old
01-13-2005, 04:12 PM
Avery4Byng*

when a guys going for the puck and hes ahead of you simply put your blade of your stick against the back of his skate and give a little push, he will fall, pucks yours.

Old
01-13-2005, 04:38 PM
Yertle The Turtle

Send a message via AIM to Yertle The Turtle Send a message via MSN to Yertle The Turtle Send a message via Yahoo to Yertle The Turtle
Skate up to a guy in front of the net.... tap his butt with your stick and that could give you the extra second you need alone in front of the net

Old
01-13-2005, 05:13 PM
Frank Drebin

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tray
when a guys going for the puck and hes ahead of you simply put your blade of your stick against the back of his skate and give a little push, he will fall, pucks yours.

Yep......follow up with a flying elbow smash too.

Old
01-13-2005, 06:02 PM
jacklours

Hey, a few things that work well if you play as a d-man. In front of the net when buddy is turning his back on you, find the separation between the shoulder pads and the pants (that is pretty easy, just put your stick gently on his back and go down, you'll find it). Now, cross-check in there, it'll hurt him.

If turning his back to you again in front of the net, put your hands in cross-check position, put it in his lower back, not push down real hard. The stick will get caught in the pants and dude will fall ass first on the ice. Referee rarely sees that.

Hit his jock strap with your stick, that sure does hurt. Be aware you'll get some back though, but you got to be ready for that.

If your team is attacking but dude is on the red line, follow him closely, but not so much, about 3-4 feet. Hack him on the wrist (jusssssst over the gloves, and under the padding) with little slashings so the referee doesn't see it. He'll get nervous whenever he gets the puck.

Slashings on the foot ankel area always hurt (make sure your behind the guy though)

One last thing, be ready to face an angry opponent though. These tricks will make you look like a ***** if you run away, but they'll make you nasty if you face other player and are ready to drop if needed (and hated by other teams)(liked by your team since they'll have more room whenever you'll be on the ice)

P.S. I've been suspended 3 times already, but when I play, the other teams just doesn't come near me or the net and is always paying attention to what I do so it give WAY more room to others.

Old
01-13-2005, 06:21 PM
Crosbyfan

Quote:

Thanks in advance.

When the ref is not looking take your stick and swing it hard against the ankle of the best player on the other team. (done properly it will break the guys ankle). A very clever trick invented by Bobby Clarke.

There are many other ways to lose the respect of the people you play against but remember that life is just a game and beer league hockey is the real thing.

Old
01-13-2005, 06:31 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosbyfan

When the ref is not looking take your stick and swing it hard against the ankle of the best player on the other team. (done properly it will break the guys ankle). A very clever trick invented by Bobby Clarke.

There are many other ways to lose the respect of the people you play against but remember that life is just a game and beer league hockey is the real thing.
Just wondering if you ever actually saw the slash .... and realize that he missed just one game ???

Hmmmm ... respect ... I'm guessing that Clarke has it in spades ... that's what 2 Stanley Cups, 3 Hart Trophies, a Selke ... being one of the games all-time great captains ... including for Team Canada will do for you.

Old
01-13-2005, 07:18 PM
MacDaddy TLC*

I cut the stitching in the palm of my glove. I could slip my hand out of the glove. It would look like I was giving a guy a facewash with a really limp glove, but I had the guy's face mask by the bars and was giving him the face wash spin cycle. I also wore soccer goalie gloves under my hockey gloves. They have that grip type material on them which can be a little coarse when rubbed against skin.

Old
01-13-2005, 07:49 PM
canadahockeygirl*

When I'm skating out with men, I normally take advantage of being a woman. Pinned up against the boards, I'll go for the cup with my hand, knee, or stick (depending on what's free). During the play, elbows are pretty good, but since I'm tall I don't ever get any good places-- normally chest protector. I'll also swing my stick for the knees if the guy is in front of me... what can I say, I'm a dirty player. I don't really do too much against the women-- verbal spatter is all the dirty trick you need sometimes.

My favorite trick as a goalie is putting my stick on the ice in front of their skates and pushing their back while pulling at my stick. The combination of this move and on a breakaway diving at the puck but aiming for the skates of the player to take them out really pisses off a lot of people... especially the ones that can't jump in skates.

Old
01-14-2005, 12:21 AM
Sebastien Centomo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tray
Mine's basically the same as your's... but do it to the opposing defensemen when you're out front of the net to get some extra space. Also works well in your own end to clear the front of the net.

Old
01-14-2005, 05:06 AM
Le Golie

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
One of my favortie tricks that's guaranteed to piss off a goalie, and is one that if done correctly will rarely be seen or called by a ref:

When the goalie is in his stance, take your stick and whack hard near the end of his stick up by the knob. You can usually knock the stick right out of the goalies hand.
I'm a goalie. I hate you ********.

I saw a goal a couple years ago where a point man took a pretty weak shot on goal but instead of going for the puck Keith Tkachuk just whacked the top of the goalies stick and it lifted up, sending the puck in through the five hole.

Very dirty play.

Old
01-14-2005, 05:11 AM
Le Golie

In midget I played with a bad ass defenceman who used to file the top of his stick blade really sharp, so any little hook or tug would scrape a gash in an opponents forearm.

The dude went on to play with the Regina Pats the following year and no doubt he did the same thing in the dub. Very dirty.

The can opener is another ***** play.

Old
01-14-2005, 08:13 AM
mymkovski

My favourite as a defenseman was a small but firm slash on the top of the players foot. There's no way possible for a ref to see it. I'd do it everywhere, in the corners, at the face-off, in front of the net....it worked for all occasions. Was a very small thing, but it hurts like a mutha...especially when its repeated...

Old
01-14-2005, 08:13 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Cherry
I'm a goalie. I hate you ********.

I saw a goal a couple years ago where a point man took a pretty weak shot on goal but instead of going for the puck Keith Tkachuk just whacked the top of the goalies stick and it lifted up, sending the puck in through the five hole.

Very dirty play.
If timed right, it works almost all the time.

Efff the goalies.

Old
01-14-2005, 11:00 AM
Malefic74

One of our defencemen has absolutely perfected a move to move opposing forwards from in front of me. Best of all it's perfectly legal. If the forward is standing back to him all he does is hold his stick like he'll cross check the guy, but instead he gets his stick just under the guys butt and lifts. Not enough to dump the guy, but enough to get the leverage advantage, once he has that he can push him in either direction with surprisingly little effort. The forward can't get enough weight down on his blades to stop himself. And if the forward really tries all the d-man does is drop one hand off his stick and the guy basically falls all by himself.

As for me... guys with their backs to me can expect to get poked in the calf a lot. Also when the shot is coming in I can usually time a kick save so that I stop the puck and kick the guys feet from under him in one move. Also anyone trying wraparounds can expect my stick to come whipping around the post long before he gets close to getting around the net. If I miss the puck and get him instead... boo hoo. Never once been called for that either. Or lifting my stick a few inches AFTER the poke check to make sure I get him too.

I got burned by that hack on the top of my stick once when I was 10 or 11. Since then it hasn't worked as a tight grip is just a habit now.

Last edited by Malefic74: 01-17-2005 at 03:12 PM.
Closed Thread