HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blackhawks down --already?

Old
10-17-2012, 11:12 AM
hawksfan50

vCash: 500
Blackhawks down --already?

IF they do reach a new deal in time to start on NOVEMBER 2nd for an 82 game season,BETTMAN stated they would pick up the schedule as listed and add in the missed games till Nov. 2nd by adding a game at a pace not more burdensome than an extra game every 2nd week if required...

REGARDING CHICAGO's NOVEMBER SCHEDULE---unfortunately--AGAIN --there is the matter of the dreaded CIRCUS ROAD TRIP ----of the 15 November games the Hawks have on their schedule --not counting any added make up games--the Blackhawks play ONLY 5 of those 15 at home...In addition there are 4 BACK to BACKS of which 2 of them are AWAY and 2 of them are slit home and away...LOKING at available possible make up dates for at least 2 in November -one sees that without creating any 3 in 3 nights--which theNHLPA will never allow, there are openings only on the
8th (creating a back to back) ,,the 18th (another back to back) and the 25th....but the 18th is out due to the circus still occupying the UC-so it must be an away game if used---they would not use the 24th because they willbe coming back from their Circus road trip onthat day..

I do not have the schedule of canceled games --but if an away game is used on the 18th it has to be close enough in travel to get to from CGY (where they play onthe 17th..

SO assuming 1 makeup is at home and the other away -it means the Hawks would play 17 games in November 6 at home and 11 away including
possibly a max of 6 back to backs if the 8th and 18th are used
and a min. of 5 back to backs if the 25th is used for one of the 2 makeup games instead.

IN OTHER WORDS--BRUTAL!

The good news: IF the HAWKS emerge from this trial with a winning % --then that bodes weell for the rest of the season;The bad news: it is so BRUTAL a test that
we could be burried and never make it up to finish anywhere but 4th to 8th inthe Conference OR worse..a terrible start willkill us for certain.. IT IS BRUTAL..

On the other hand--SOME teams willget favourable home schedules to start and could pile away points on us while we must go through THIS farce of a schedule in November.

Blame Wirtz and his annual Ciircus gred grab for this more than even usual tough November schedule...

hawksfan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 11:21 AM
hockeydoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawksfan50 View Post
Blame Wirtz and his annual Ciircus gred grab for this more than even usual tough November schedule...
Absolutely. Wirtz has gotten too much of a free pass from the media and fans. The honeymoon should have been over after the 2011 season. I don't expect them to change the schedule, but I think they should have to face some consequences from the media in the form of some bad press.

Too bad the hockey coverage in Chicago is still so weak. Once in a while Rocky and the gang will take some criticism, but those articles and statements are too few and far between.

hockeydoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 11:25 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawksfan50 View Post

He and Reinsdorf own an arena. They built it with intension of making money off it. If you can't understand that sports and arena management is a business, I don't know what to tell you.

IU Hawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 12:02 PM
hawksfan50

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post

He and Reinsdorf own an arena. They built it with intension of making money off it. If you can't understand that sports and arena management is a business, I don't know what to tell you.

TRUE--but the fact is no other NHL team players and fans have to put up with such an annual mess in November as we do -and this year we get an even harder test in November that the usually bad one anyway given the need for make-ups AND given the already tough back to back scenarios .taken all together it is A LOT toask fans and players to put up with...MAYBE WIRTZ could fill his building with other events spread out more generously than a CIRCUS taking over for so lengthy a period..What about more music artists scheduling concert dates -that can help manage spreading out the Non-hockey events instead of such concentrated down time for hockey at the UC impacting the Hawks so harshly on the schedule. There must be better revenue generation alternatives -unless he sells out the place every single night the Circus is in and they feel no other spread out concerts by music artits or maybe a magic show could generate as much cash ..OR he feels loyalty to the long tradition of a Circus playing in Chicago in November. Whatever-it DOES negatively impact the Hawks and given the extra hardship this November if the can get a deal done in time to start Nov. 2md for 82 games-you do see why the Hawks willbe so hard=pressed to survive such a monstrous task as I have outlined. 11 of 17 away and 5 or 6 back to backs is not the way most NHL teams would ever care to start off a season..but alas,that is what could be the reality facing our beloved team...There probably is some NHl team with 11 of 17 at home and only one or two back to backs ..yes life is unfair-but why do Hawksfans always have to suffer this in November( and this year it could be even greater than usual suffering)? I guess it is one of the perks of being a Blackhawks fan--just one more issue to vent on. It can never look rosey for us,can it? We hope our team can rise to this challenge,but honestly we can't expect a lot of success given this likely brutal schedule in November..AT the end of the reg. season IF we are 8-10 points off where you thought this team should be --we may be looking back at this brutal November test as the primary reason for such failure to achieve our proper place in the final standings.

Old
10-17-2012, 12:04 PM
Cullksinikers

The circus better be damn profitable or it needs to go ASAP. The circus trip is not enjoyable for fans or players of the Hawks and Bulls.

Cullksinikers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 12:28 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullksinikers View Post
The circus better be damn profitable or it needs to go ASAP.
OF COURSE it's damn profitable. They wouldn't have 21 shows over the course of 10 dates if their wasn't the demand for it.

Old
10-17-2012, 12:32 PM
Cullksinikers

I know nothing about the circus that comes to town. Won't even go to that one even if my future kids beg me since it hurts the Bulls and Hawks. You watch over a month of games in a few weeks, none of them at home. It sucks to watch.

Cullksinikers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 01:00 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullksinikers View Post
I know nothing about the circus that comes to town. Won't even go to that one even if my future kids beg me since it hurts the Bulls and Hawks. You watch over a month of games in a few weeks, none of them at home. It sucks to watch.

It's a businees, and in the end, they still play 41 home games. It all evens out.

Old
10-17-2012, 01:11 PM
BobbyJet

On the positive side, the players will be fresh. Getting the worst of the schedule over with immediately, may be a blessing in disguise.

BobbyJet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 01:17 PM
hawksfan50

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJet View Post
On the positive side, the players will be fresh. Getting the worst of the schedule over with immediately, may be a blessing in disguise.
True---and the positive in the negative is IF this killer November schedule kills the Hawks with a total collapse -well then I guess we are in the Nathan MacKinnon sweepstakes..

Old
10-17-2012, 01:30 PM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

It's not just Wirtz, the circus has been coming to the UC as long as I can remember. The Bulls dealt with it during their championship runs.

If the circus coming to town is the difference between the Hawks making the playoffs and not, they don't deserve to be there anyway. Pretty sure the Hawks are not the only team dealing with scheduling conflicts with this new schedule.

HawksFan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 04:31 PM
hockeydoug

The circus trip isn't going to change. I have a bigger problem with the Disney show that sometimes causes problems for the Bulls and Blackhawks. I don't have a comprehensive understanding of who pulls who when it comes to booking events at the UC. I'm not sure if Reinsdorf, Rocky, the leagues, or the other events trump one over another for a given date, but I'm confident that there have been a number of rough patches in the schedule that could have been avoided. I wish McDonough and Wirtz would get some more bad press for it. Rocky can and will do whatever he wants, but I would like to see some more pressure on him at least. Maybe it will push them to give the Hawks a break on the schedule.

For those of you that think the Hawks are the only team that puts up with that garbage, I would direct you to PHI, NYR, or most of the major market teams with a shared facility. PHI has had there share of nasty schedules and so have the Rangers. Even with the nasty streaks in the schedule, I would still take the Hawks' schedule over that of the teams on the West coast for the most part.

hockeydoug is offline   Reply With Quote