HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Dmitri Jaskin Potential?

Old
10-17-2012, 11:22 PM
nbwingsfan

vCash: 500
Dmitri Jaskin Potential?

Just looking to hear everyone's opinion on Jaskin, especially Blues Fans.
19 player who looks to be in the mold of a future power forward, always goes to the hard areas, not afraid to take the body or drop the gloves.

But he is also a tremendous goal scorer.

In his first year in the Q he already has 12 goals in 12 games so far for the Moncton Wildcats, which is a team struggling for goals, while looking like hes getting better and better every game.
2nd round pick for the Blues in 2011

Thoughts on his potential?

nbwingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 11:24 PM
Vankiller Whale
All hail WMD

vCash: 400
Rattie and Jaskin...Looks like the Blues had a great second round in 2011.

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 12:07 AM
smitty10

He also had 5 goals and 6 or 7 points in 5 pre season games for them too and has scored 3+1 in 3 games for the Czech U20 team. It looks like he's completely dominating everything.

Had a poor year in the Czech league last year, but looks to have really turned his game around in Moncton. Judging by what I saw at the WJC last year, Jaskin has the potential to be a power forward in the NHL one day. He has the size, strength, physicality, shot and awareness to be a good player, but he needs to work on his skating if he wants to be successful in North American professional hockey. It looks like he's adapted flawlessly to the CHL and seems to be absolutely dominating the competition. Most fans should get a good look at him as he'll be playing a top 6 role on the Czech team at the WJC.

IMO, he could have made the move to the AHL this year had his skating been better. Hopefully that will improve over this year because he has everything else that's needed from a power forward in the NHL.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 01:16 AM
dnicks17

I started to worry about him after last year. He was one of my top choices for who I wanted the Oilers to draft at 31.

I think his upside is somewhere around a guy like Hartnell.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 04:33 AM
helicecopter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbwingsfan View Post

In his first year in the Q he already has 12 goals in 12 games so far for the Moncton Wildcats
I think he actually has 10 goals in 11 games?

helicecopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 08:44 AM
nbwingsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by helicecopter View Post
I think he actually has 10 goals in 11 games?
Ya thats my bad, I thought those stats were before last nights game where he had 2 goals, but apparently it included that game.

Still impressive none the less

Old
10-18-2012, 09:06 AM
The Yzerman
1983 WJHC

Saw him last night against Acadie-Bathurst Titan. He was impressive, really REALLY wants the puck and knows how to put it in. He has a real nose for the net. Someone earlier said Hartnell, which I think is a fair comparaison.

The Yzerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 09:09 AM
ManByng
Moroz fan

i didn't think much of him as playing in Slavia Praha HC didn't seem to be helping him develop, but now that he's moved to the CHL, and he's starting to show what he can do offensively, i think he may yet be a pretty good 2nd round pick up for the Blues.

ManByng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 10:21 AM
Use the Schwartz*
****in' eh

Saw him play in Halifax last week
Hes huge.

Use the Schwartz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 11:40 AM

What I saw from him, his skating wasn't an issue at all. Not sure why everyone is knocking him about it. He's a decent skater that goes to the dirty areas and has a great offensive arsenal.

#57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 12:02 PM
WildcatMapleLeafs28

Jaskin has tremendous upside. He's a big, hard working powerforward who has a nose for the net. He posseses a lethal shot with dead on accuracy. He's definately not a perimeter player, he prefers going through defenders. He's also very "slippery" and defenders have a hard time knocking him off the puck. Imo, skating is one of his strong points. He has 10 goals, 3 assists for 13 points in 11 games with the Wildcats. Very intriguing prospect that I will enjoy following this season.

WildcatMapleLeafs28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 07:00 PM
Jackson12

he became a 92 in my gm mode from nhl 12 so i'd say he's got alot going for him

Jackson12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 07:06 PM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson12 View Post
he became a 92 in my gm mode from nhl 12 so i'd say he's got alot going for him

Old
10-18-2012, 07:10 PM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by #57 View Post
What I saw from him, his skating wasn't an issue at all. Not sure why everyone is knocking him about it. He's a decent skater that goes to the dirty areas and has a great offensive arsenal.
From what I saw of him last year his speed really needed to improve. He would have been far more successful for the Czech's had it been. It seems most Czech players these days have little footspeed when they come to North America so it's not only him. Faksa had to work on his a lot and Hertl has apparently improved his skating since being drafted (although Hertl is skilled enough that he could get by without it) and you can also see it with Musil and Frk. Not sure what causes it, but it's odd for sure.

I haven't seen anything other than Youtube videos since he's been playing with Moncton so I can't comment on how he's been this year. If he's improved his speed to a reasonable level then he'll do just fine in the pro ranks.

Old
10-18-2012, 10:21 PM
h22prelude93

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildcatMapleLeafs28 View Post
Jaskin has tremendous upside. He's a big, hard working powerforward who has a nose for the net. He posseses a lethal shot with dead on accuracy. He's definately not a perimeter player, he prefers going through defenders. He's also very "slippery" and defenders have a hard time knocking him off the puck. Imo, skating is one of his strong points. He has 10 goals, 3 assists for 13 points in 11 games with the Wildcats. Very intriguing prospect that I will enjoy following this season.
Thanks for the info. I'm extremely excited about Jaskin and have been following him since before the Blues drafted him. He was actually selected 1st overall in the 2010 KHL draft which is what originally caught my attention. I'm not sure what his true potential is at this point, but it certainly doesn't hurt that he's currently outscoring guys like Huberdeau and Grigorenko. Besides his ability to shoot...it seems his biggest strong points in the past have been his size, physicality, and strength on the puck. I'm very glad to hear that his skating has picked up as well. I wish there was more video of him though, but I really appreciate anything that you guys have to add. Hopefully he continues to tear it up, and becomes another sleeper pick for the Blues.

h22prelude93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 12:23 PM
stlweir

Thanks H22,

Hope Jaskin keeps it up. Good stuff.

Thanks again

stlweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 02:06 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Blues got a stud here.

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 05:46 PM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post
Blues got a stud here.
Too early to tell. Apparently he's improved a ton since last year, but the Q's lack of defense can cause inflated stats. Let's see how he does on a scoring line at the WJC against the Canada's and Russia's of the world before we make any definitive statements. I think he'll be an NHL player eventually, but let's see how he does in the WJC this year.

Old
10-24-2012, 05:52 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
Too early to tell. Apparently he's improved a ton since last year, but the Q's lack of defense can cause inflated stats. Let's see how he does on a scoring line at the WJC against the Canada's and Russia's of the world before we make any definitive statements. I think he'll be an NHL player eventually, but let's see how he does in the WJC this year.
How he performs in the AHL next year will be a much greater indicator of future success than a quick Junior tournament in January.

J17 Vs Proclamation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 06:06 PM
rumrokh
Jake the Snake Man

Quote:
Too early to tell. Apparently he's improved a ton since last year, but the Q's lack of defense can cause inflated stats.
Goals per game in the Q has been pretty comparable to the OHL and WHL for a few years now. And the top scorers have had similar totals, too. The idea of the Q as an all-offense league that inflates stats is outdated.

rumrokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 06:24 PM
WildcatMapleLeafs28

Quote:
I think they're close to the OHL/WHL statistically. Plus Jaskin plays on a Danny Flynn run team. Moncton has the most defensive systems in the league and Jaskin is still producing well offensively. If he played on an "offense first" minded team(Halifax,Quebec,Rouyn-Noranda,Victoriaville even Bathurst) , he'd be among the league's top 5 scorers. He would have at least 33% more goals/points than he does now.

Last edited by WildcatMapleLeafs28: 10-24-2012 at 07:01 PM.
WildcatMapleLeafs28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 06:32 PM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Is Jaskin more of a powerforward or more of an opportunistic goal-scorer? As in, does he power his way to the net and mainly battle along the boards, or is a guy that likes hovering in front of the net for those deflections and garbage goals?

Circulartheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 06:11 PM
nbwingsfan

Quote:
This is a very out dated comment. The Q defense is now just as good as the WHL or OHL. Also, as was mentioned earlier, Jaskin plays on a Danny Flynn run team. That coach is the definition of a defense first coach.

Old
10-27-2012, 11:24 AM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by danccchan View Post
Is Jaskin more of a powerforward or more of an opportunistic goal-scorer? As in, does he power his way to the net and mainly battle along the boards, or is a guy that likes hovering in front of the net for those deflections and garbage goals?
I'm wondering this as well.

Anyone?

bluemandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 12:27 PM
Trvp Lord

Send a message via MSN to Trvp Lord
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemandan View Post
I'm wondering this as well.

Anyone?
Pretty sure Moncton uses him on the point on the PP, but i'm not sure. Saw him play last night and could've had 3 goals. He scored one yesterday with an awesome snipe. He loves to shoot & power to the net. Loves shooting though.

Trvp Lord is offline   Reply With Quote