HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

All Purpose Luongo Trade Discussion (New news) MOD WARNING IN OP

Closed Thread

Old
10-18-2012, 12:48 PM
vanwest

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mika Zibanejad View Post
You have TWO possible options.

Florida or Toronto.

Good luck filling holes.
And you have one option. Luongo. Good luck filling holes.

Old
10-18-2012, 12:49 PM
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
The new CBA removes the risk that Toronto would have been on the hook for his salary. For GM's certainty is important as they need to chart out the salary cap implications for a number of years. The flip side is that uncertainty means that they are willing to take on less risk. I think that Luongo's value has gone up if this CBA is signed as the uncertainty is removed and Toronto is not on the hook for his salary if he retires which was rumoured to be a risk in any new CBA.
There is still the risk of Luongo milking the contract and NOT retiring when his game falls apart.

Then, you'd be paying $5.3M for a backup goaltender.

Old
10-18-2012, 12:50 PM
GoLeafsGo96

Alright I'll say this again.

Vancouver having to deal with Luongo's cap hit for the remainder of his contract should he retire is nothing positive for the Leafs, or any team looking to acquire Luongo. It's the same deal for them. Vancouver gets shafted now, but the team acquiring him isn't effected whatsoever.

What it does do:

Hypothetically, Burke had little interest in paying a premium price in Luongo because of the uncertainty that was coming with the new CBA.

It was widely speculated that SOMETHING was going to happen with these contracts. Many believed that when they retired the cap hit would stay, as it is. But what they didn't know is whether or not Vancouver (in this situation) or the team acquiring him would have to deal with the cap hit. That question is now answered. (assuming that part stays the same regardless of negotiations). Burke may be more open to acquiring Luongo with the contract no longer an issue But it doesn't mean all the questions are answered. The real reason you likely won't see the Leafs wanting to pay a hefty price is because by the time this team is ready to compete, with or without Luongo, Lu is likely much older. (4 years from now minimum before the team likely has any chance at being a contender). At that point, how good is Luongo? Can you say without a doubt he'll regress? No, of course not. However, it's a risk.

Old
10-18-2012, 12:50 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by TieClark View Post
You have to get rid of him because this is real life... Not NHL 13. The team is not going to pay nearly 7 million real dollars to a backup goalie who's value only gets worse and worse. The team isn't going to keep a person who is owed they much and wants out when personal feelings get involved and can turn a contender into a disaster. They simply aren't going to do it. It's not a video game or fantasy hockey where they'll just hold onto a name because they think he has more value. It doesn't work that way.
Only in NHL13 would you see any situation where Luongo plays the amount of games a regular backup goalie would.

This is real life and elite players like Luongo don't get dealt to teams with a huge need for a goalie, for spare parts. Maybe we just wait it out so Burke gets fired?

Luongo said he's okay coming back to Vancouver. Guess that shoots down your theory.

10-18-2012, 12:51 PM
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
And you have one option. Luongo. Good luck filling holes.
I'd rather go with Reimer/Scrivens for now.

Goaltenders become available every season.

Old
10-18-2012, 12:52 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:

Florida or Toronto.

Good luck filling holes.
Source? How do you know there's only two options?

Old
10-18-2012, 12:53 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:

That's why Toronto hasn't had a good goalie since Belfour, right?

Old
10-18-2012, 12:53 PM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
No really. I'm sure Leafs fans can understand why we aren't really willing to fix your goaltending problems for spare parts.
What you want is irrelevant.

You won't be getting the 1st, Gardiner, or Rielly for a 33 year old player.

Old
10-18-2012, 12:54 PM
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.

Quote:
Source? How do you know there's only two options?
Common Sense.

I looked at depth charts and realized there are only two teams in the market for a #1 goaltender.

Old
10-18-2012, 12:55 PM
Vankiller Whale
And so it begins

Quote:
Common Sense.

I looked at depth charts and realized there are only two teams in the market for a #1 goaltender.
Toronto
Florida
Edmonton
Chicago
Columbus

Old
10-18-2012, 12:55 PM
AlmightyPO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarpan View Post
I don't know if it affects the value that NHL GMs place on Luongo, but it certainly has a significant impact on his value in HF discussions.

There were some posters who said that Luongo's value was diminished due to the uncertainty about the new CBA. Also, Luongo's 10 year contract length was also mentioned fairly frequently as a reason why Luongo wasn't worth much.

If this clause is in the new CBA it destroys those arguments against Luongo's value.

Luongo's deal then becomes a 6-7 year contract with a $5.3 million cap hit. I think that cap hit is currently #9 among goalies, and he's a better goalie than that.
The argument many people, myself included, were making before the NHL proposal was that a new CBA could reduce the value of Luongo significantly, not that it had already. As it turned out, the proposal didn't impact Luongo's value in a trade like many thought it would and just because it didn't decrease his value, doesn't mean it increased.

The only thing the uncertainty of a new CBA impacted was the volume and seriousness of the trade talks. I think most people would have predicted that no trade would be made until the new CBA was agreed on, and I'm sure most GMs who are interested in Luongo were also waiting out the new CBA before trading for a 10 year commitment to a 33 year old goalie.

In terms of contract length, the issue was never with if he retired early, it was "What if Luongo keeps playing after his assumed 'retirement date'?" The team that trades for him in any scenario, now or before, would never have paid for him if he retired early. The only issue I see people having is what if he keeps playing, and becomes a shell of his former self in his later years while still at 5.333 a year. In that case, nothing has changed and that risk still remains for some people.

Old
10-18-2012, 12:57 PM
Ho Borvat

Quote:
Originally Posted by TML g u n n e R s View Post
people still dont get lou is more of a cap dump.....

You realize that 30% of starters have a higher cap hit than Luongo right?

Old
10-18-2012, 12:58 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

Quote:

Florida or Toronto.

Good luck filling holes.
I... take the third option! We keep Luongo and start the season with the best goalie tandem and see if one of the numerous question mark tenders collapses. Maybe we end up trading Schneider for an elusive fourth option!

Seeing we are the reigning President's Trophy team two years running. You guys may need that luck a little more.

Quote:

And when was one of Luongo's caliber last available?

Old
10-18-2012, 12:59 PM
gooilgo
Fehr is a reptile

Quote:
Originally Posted by TieClark View Post
You have to get rid of him because this is real life... Not NHL 13. The team is not going to pay nearly 7 million real dollars to a backup goalie who's value only gets worse and worse. The team isn't going to keep a person who is owed they much and wants out when personal feelings get involved and can turn a contender into a disaster. They simply aren't going to do it. It's not a video game or fantasy hockey where they'll just hold onto a name because they think he has more value. It doesn't work that way.
......and Brian Burke is the Knight in Shining Armor who takes Luongo away whilst leaving some scraps for Vancouver for which the Canucks should be eternally grateful they get anything at all, am I Right?

Your theory is ridiculous. I am no Canucks fan but recognize a good player when I see one. The Canucks time is now, if they have any chance of winning a cup its this year or next at the latest. Real dollars or cap room are unlikely to be a priority for them at this stage. Schneider May not maintain his standards next year so I'm sure they would rather keep Luongo in case CS went down with an injury or his form slipped rather than trade Luongo for scraps, cap dumps etc. However if they can get a decent return for him which can help them elsewhere then the case to make a trade becomes more compelling.

Old
10-18-2012, 01:01 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Common Sense.

So in other words just what you think, but based on zero facial evidence.

Old
10-18-2012, 01:02 PM
gooilgo
Fehr is a reptile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Toronto
Florida
Edmonton
Chicago
Columbus
I'd be shocked if Edmonton was interested, not because of the player but the timeline just does not fit.

Old
10-18-2012, 01:04 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooilgo View Post
I'd be shocked if Edmonton was interested, not because of the player but the timeline just does not fit.
According to Jason Botchford (an actual beat reporter involved with the team) Edmonton has made a push. But I guess since some random poster above said it doesn't make common sense that must be false.

Old
10-18-2012, 01:05 PM
bikesbikesbikes

Quote:
Edmonton has a wealth of assets, but I see them giving Dubnyk at least one more year to show his stuff.

Old
10-18-2012, 01:06 PM
GoLeafsGo96

Quote:
Pretty much the same reason why the Leafs likely wouldn't be interested in paying a kings ransom. Not to the same extent, but by the time the team is ready to contend, Luongo is what? four, five, six years older? We don't know if his play will regress, but we don't know if he can remain elite either. That's the risk involved. That's why the Leafs won't give up a kings ransom.

And Evidently, that is why the Leafs will likely not get Luongo. The Leafs won't get him for scraps... And the Canucks won't deal him to the Leafs when they likely aren't willing to give up a whole lot.

Old
10-18-2012, 01:08 PM
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.

Quote:
According to Jason Botchford (an actual beat reporter involved with the team) Edmonton has made a push. But I guess since some random poster above said it doesn't make common sense that must be false.
The Oilers can't even get a new arena, you think they made a push for a goalie on a 10 year, $53M contract??

Old
10-18-2012, 01:09 PM
AlmightyPO

Ya, anyone who doubts he is retiring early is just foolish, and just attempting to downplay his value, as he has even said it himself. In an interview during the off-season he hinted at only "having a couple years left" and wanting to win, making the decision of where he goes very important.

Last edited by piqued: 10-18-2012 at 02:05 PM. Reason: qdp
Old
10-18-2012, 01:10 PM
Krut

Quote:
Botchford is a little weasel who would have no problem stirring up a bunch of BS in order to add followers to his twitter account or increase the page views for one of his columns. The Eberle for Luongo scenario that he spewed is a good example of this.

Old
10-18-2012, 01:10 PM
gooilgo
Fehr is a reptile

Quote:
Excuse me if I don't put any stock in what Botchford says.......

I gave my opinion, I like Luongo as a player but Edmonton's window has not opened yet and the team has made it clear that they are giving Dubnyk the chance to become #1, when Khabby is gone in a year then they will be in the market for a goalie but I would expect it to be a younger one.

Old
10-18-2012, 01:14 PM
Ho Borvat

Quote:
That team gets goaltending, and some good minutes from their young d-men and its a good chance they see post season action.

Old
10-18-2012, 01:17 PM
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
Would Canucks consider taking Komisarek? it's well known that they need a gritty crease clearing defenseman.

I also think that Toronto fans should not take Lupul off the table. Yes he was a staple for them last year but that is a trade that could be a win-win for both teams.

Closed Thread