HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

All Purpose Luongo Trade Discussion (New news) MOD WARNING IN OP

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-18-2012, 12:48 PM
  #251
vanwest
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,675
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mika Zibanejad View Post
You have TWO possible options.

Florida or Toronto.

Good luck filling holes.
And you have one option. Luongo. Good luck filling holes.

vanwest is offline  
Old
10-18-2012, 12:49 PM
  #252
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.
 
Four1 Lead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: YYZ
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,897
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
The new CBA removes the risk that Toronto would have been on the hook for his salary. For GM's certainty is important as they need to chart out the salary cap implications for a number of years. The flip side is that uncertainty means that they are willing to take on less risk. I think that Luongo's value has gone up if this CBA is signed as the uncertainty is removed and Toronto is not on the hook for his salary if he retires which was rumoured to be a risk in any new CBA.
There is still the risk of Luongo milking the contract and NOT retiring when his game falls apart.

Then, you'd be paying $5.3M for a backup goaltender.

Four1 Lead is offline  
Old
10-18-2012, 12:50 PM
  #253
GoLeafsGo96
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,396
vCash: 500
Alright I'll say this again.

Vancouver having to deal with Luongo's cap hit for the remainder of his contract should he retire is nothing positive for the Leafs, or any team looking to acquire Luongo. It's the same deal for them. Vancouver gets shafted now, but the team acquiring him isn't effected whatsoever.

What it does do:

Hypothetically, Burke had little interest in paying a premium price in Luongo because of the uncertainty that was coming with the new CBA.

It was widely speculated that SOMETHING was going to happen with these contracts. Many believed that when they retired the cap hit would stay, as it is. But what they didn't know is whether or not Vancouver (in this situation) or the team acquiring him would have to deal with the cap hit. That question is now answered. (assuming that part stays the same regardless of negotiations). Burke may be more open to acquiring Luongo with the contract no longer an issue But it doesn't mean all the questions are answered. The real reason you likely won't see the Leafs wanting to pay a hefty price is because by the time this team is ready to compete, with or without Luongo, Lu is likely much older. (4 years from now minimum before the team likely has any chance at being a contender). At that point, how good is Luongo? Can you say without a doubt he'll regress? No, of course not. However, it's a risk.

GoLeafsGo96 is offline  
Old
10-18-2012, 12:50 PM
  #254
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality
 
y2kcanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 46,785
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by TieClark View Post
You have to get rid of him because this is real life... Not NHL 13. The team is not going to pay nearly 7 million real dollars to a backup goalie who's value only gets worse and worse. The team isn't going to keep a person who is owed they much and wants out when personal feelings get involved and can turn a contender into a disaster. They simply aren't going to do it. It's not a video game or fantasy hockey where they'll just hold onto a name because they think he has more value. It doesn't work that way.
Only in NHL13 would you see any situation where Luongo plays the amount of games a regular backup goalie would.

This is real life and elite players like Luongo don't get dealt to teams with a huge need for a goalie, for spare parts. Maybe we just wait it out so Burke gets fired?

Luongo said he's okay coming back to Vancouver. Guess that shoots down your theory.

__________________
http://www.vancitynitetours.com
y2kcanucks is offline  
Old
10-18-2012, 12:51 PM
  #255
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.
 
Four1 Lead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: YYZ
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,897
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
And you have one option. Luongo. Good luck filling holes.
I'd rather go with Reimer/Scrivens for now.

Goaltenders become available every season.

Four1 Lead is offline  
Old
10-18-2012, 12:52 PM
  #256
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality
 
y2kcanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 46,785
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mika Zibanejad View Post
You have TWO possible options.

Florida or Toronto.

Good luck filling holes.
Source? How do you know there's only two options?

y2kcanucks is offline  
Old
10-18-2012, 12:53 PM
  #257
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality
 
y2kcanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 46,785
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mika Zibanejad View Post
I'd rather go with Reimer/Scrivens for now.

Goaltenders become available every season.
That's why Toronto hasn't had a good goalie since Belfour, right?

y2kcanucks is offline  
Old
10-18-2012, 12:53 PM
  #258
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas
 
Volcanologist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Kessel Apocalypse
Country: Germany
Posts: 20,629
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
No really. I'm sure Leafs fans can understand why we aren't really willing to fix your goaltending problems for spare parts.
What you want is irrelevant.

You won't be getting the 1st, Gardiner, or Rielly for a 33 year old player.

Volcanologist is offline  
Old
10-18-2012, 12:54 PM
  #259
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.
 
Four1 Lead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: YYZ
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,897
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Source? How do you know there's only two options?
Common Sense.

I looked at depth charts and realized there are only two teams in the market for a #1 goaltender.

Four1 Lead is offline  
Old
10-18-2012, 12:55 PM
  #260
Vankiller Whale
And so it begins
 
Vankiller Whale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,773
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mika Zibanejad View Post
Common Sense.

I looked at depth charts and realized there are only two teams in the market for a #1 goaltender.
Toronto
Florida
Edmonton
Chicago
Columbus

Vankiller Whale is online now  
Old
10-18-2012, 12:55 PM
  #261
AlmightyPO
Registered User
 
AlmightyPO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Kingston
Country: Canada
Posts: 790
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarpan View Post
I don't know if it affects the value that NHL GMs place on Luongo, but it certainly has a significant impact on his value in HF discussions.

There were some posters who said that Luongo's value was diminished due to the uncertainty about the new CBA. Also, Luongo's 10 year contract length was also mentioned fairly frequently as a reason why Luongo wasn't worth much.

If this clause is in the new CBA it destroys those arguments against Luongo's value.

Luongo's deal then becomes a 6-7 year contract with a $5.3 million cap hit. I think that cap hit is currently #9 among goalies, and he's a better goalie than that.
The argument many people, myself included, were making before the NHL proposal was that a new CBA could reduce the value of Luongo significantly, not that it had already. As it turned out, the proposal didn't impact Luongo's value in a trade like many thought it would and just because it didn't decrease his value, doesn't mean it increased.

The only thing the uncertainty of a new CBA impacted was the volume and seriousness of the trade talks. I think most people would have predicted that no trade would be made until the new CBA was agreed on, and I'm sure most GMs who are interested in Luongo were also waiting out the new CBA before trading for a 10 year commitment to a 33 year old goalie.

In terms of contract length, the issue was never with if he retired early, it was "What if Luongo keeps playing after his assumed 'retirement date'?" The team that trades for him in any scenario, now or before, would never have paid for him if he retired early. The only issue I see people having is what if he keeps playing, and becomes a shell of his former self in his later years while still at 5.333 a year. In that case, nothing has changed and that risk still remains for some people.

AlmightyPO is offline  
Old
10-18-2012, 12:57 PM
  #262
Ho Borvat
Registered User
 
Ho Borvat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,712
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TML g u n n e R s View Post
people still dont get lou is more of a cap dump.....


You realize that 30% of starters have a higher cap hit than Luongo right?

Ho Borvat is offline  
Old
10-18-2012, 12:58 PM
  #263
Bourne Endeavor
Moderator
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)
 
Bourne Endeavor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,907
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mika Zibanejad View Post
You have TWO possible options.

Florida or Toronto.

Good luck filling holes.
I... take the third option! We keep Luongo and start the season with the best goalie tandem and see if one of the numerous question mark tenders collapses. Maybe we end up trading Schneider for an elusive fourth option!

Seeing we are the reigning President's Trophy team two years running. You guys may need that luck a little more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mika Zibanejad View Post
I'd rather go with Reimer/Scrivens for now.

Goaltenders become available every season.
And when was one of Luongo's caliber last available?

Bourne Endeavor is online now  
Old
10-18-2012, 12:59 PM
  #264
gooilgo
Fehr is a reptile
 
gooilgo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Area 51
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,380
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TieClark View Post
You have to get rid of him because this is real life... Not NHL 13. The team is not going to pay nearly 7 million real dollars to a backup goalie who's value only gets worse and worse. The team isn't going to keep a person who is owed they much and wants out when personal feelings get involved and can turn a contender into a disaster. They simply aren't going to do it. It's not a video game or fantasy hockey where they'll just hold onto a name because they think he has more value. It doesn't work that way.
......and Brian Burke is the Knight in Shining Armor who takes Luongo away whilst leaving some scraps for Vancouver for which the Canucks should be eternally grateful they get anything at all, am I Right?

Your theory is ridiculous. I am no Canucks fan but recognize a good player when I see one. The Canucks time is now, if they have any chance of winning a cup its this year or next at the latest. Real dollars or cap room are unlikely to be a priority for them at this stage. Schneider May not maintain his standards next year so I'm sure they would rather keep Luongo in case CS went down with an injury or his form slipped rather than trade Luongo for scraps, cap dumps etc. However if they can get a decent return for him which can help them elsewhere then the case to make a trade becomes more compelling.

gooilgo is offline  
Old
10-18-2012, 01:01 PM
  #265
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality
 
y2kcanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 46,785
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mika Zibanejad View Post
Common Sense.

I looked at depth charts and realized there are only two teams in the market for a #1 goaltender.
So in other words just what you think, but based on zero facial evidence.

y2kcanucks is offline  
Old
10-18-2012, 01:02 PM
  #266
gooilgo
Fehr is a reptile
 
gooilgo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Area 51
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,380
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Toronto
Florida
Edmonton
Chicago
Columbus
I'd be shocked if Edmonton was interested, not because of the player but the timeline just does not fit.

gooilgo is offline  
Old
10-18-2012, 01:04 PM
  #267
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality
 
y2kcanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 46,785
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooilgo View Post
I'd be shocked if Edmonton was interested, not because of the player but the timeline just does not fit.
According to Jason Botchford (an actual beat reporter involved with the team) Edmonton has made a push. But I guess since some random poster above said it doesn't make common sense that must be false.

y2kcanucks is offline  
Old
10-18-2012, 01:05 PM
  #268
bikesbikesbikes
Registered User
 
bikesbikesbikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 146
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooilgo View Post
I'd be shocked if Edmonton was interested, not because of the player but the timeline just does not fit.
Edmonton has a wealth of assets, but I see them giving Dubnyk at least one more year to show his stuff.

bikesbikesbikes is offline  
Old
10-18-2012, 01:06 PM
  #269
GoLeafsGo96
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,396
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooilgo View Post
I'd be shocked if Edmonton was interested, not because of the player but the timeline just does not fit.
Pretty much the same reason why the Leafs likely wouldn't be interested in paying a kings ransom. Not to the same extent, but by the time the team is ready to contend, Luongo is what? four, five, six years older? We don't know if his play will regress, but we don't know if he can remain elite either. That's the risk involved. That's why the Leafs won't give up a kings ransom.

And Evidently, that is why the Leafs will likely not get Luongo. The Leafs won't get him for scraps... And the Canucks won't deal him to the Leafs when they likely aren't willing to give up a whole lot.

GoLeafsGo96 is offline  
Old
10-18-2012, 01:08 PM
  #270
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.
 
Four1 Lead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: YYZ
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,897
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
According to Jason Botchford (an actual beat reporter involved with the team) Edmonton has made a push. But I guess since some random poster above said it doesn't make common sense that must be false.
The Oilers can't even get a new arena, you think they made a push for a goalie on a 10 year, $53M contract??

Four1 Lead is offline  
Old
10-18-2012, 01:09 PM
  #271
AlmightyPO
Registered User
 
AlmightyPO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Kingston
Country: Canada
Posts: 790
vCash: 500
Ya, anyone who doubts he is retiring early is just foolish, and just attempting to downplay his value, as he has even said it himself. In an interview during the off-season he hinted at only "having a couple years left" and wanting to win, making the decision of where he goes very important.


Last edited by piqued: 10-18-2012 at 02:05 PM. Reason: qdp
AlmightyPO is offline  
Old
10-18-2012, 01:10 PM
  #272
Krut
Registered User
 
Krut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,934
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
According to Jason Botchford (an actual beat reporter involved with the team) Edmonton has made a push. But I guess since some random poster above said it doesn't make common sense that must be false.
Botchford is a little weasel who would have no problem stirring up a bunch of BS in order to add followers to his twitter account or increase the page views for one of his columns. The Eberle for Luongo scenario that he spewed is a good example of this.

Krut is offline  
Old
10-18-2012, 01:10 PM
  #273
gooilgo
Fehr is a reptile
 
gooilgo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Area 51
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,380
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
According to Jason Botchford (an actual beat reporter involved with the team) Edmonton has made a push. But I guess since some random poster above said it doesn't make common sense that must be false.
Excuse me if I don't put any stock in what Botchford says.......

I gave my opinion, I like Luongo as a player but Edmonton's window has not opened yet and the team has made it clear that they are giving Dubnyk the chance to become #1, when Khabby is gone in a year then they will be in the market for a goalie but I would expect it to be a younger one.

gooilgo is offline  
Old
10-18-2012, 01:14 PM
  #274
Ho Borvat
Registered User
 
Ho Borvat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,712
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooilgo View Post
I'd be shocked if Edmonton was interested, not because of the player but the timeline just does not fit.
That team gets goaltending, and some good minutes from their young d-men and its a good chance they see post season action.

Ho Borvat is offline  
Old
10-18-2012, 01:17 PM
  #275
LAX attack*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Danger Zone
Country: United States
Posts: 14,543
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
Would Canucks consider taking Komisarek? it's well known that they need a gritty crease clearing defenseman.

I also think that Toronto fans should not take Lupul off the table. Yes he was a staple for them last year but that is a trade that could be a win-win for both teams.

LAX attack* is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:21 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.