HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

All Purpose Luongo Trade Discussion (New news) MOD WARNING IN OP

Closed Thread

Old
10-19-2012, 08:58 AM
bobbyflex

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYVanfan View Post
at this point i would almost prefer we trade schneider for a bonafide top 6er and keep luongo

something like schneider and raymond for kane or eberle plus a pick or something

i know that would really strengthen a key competitor, but it also should make us strong enough to win a cup in the next few years. After that, rebuild.

No offense, but none of the Leafs' pieces are particularly exciting. I guess Gardiner, though he seems to be heavliy hyped....or Kessel, but I'm assuming he's untouchable (Gardiner too, probably)

would the leafs do something like
Schnieder, Raymond
for
Gardiner, Lupul, 1st
too much. we have zero use for Raymond. Gardiner + a little something something for Schneider might work

Old
10-19-2012, 09:12 AM
NYVanfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyflex View Post
too much. we have zero use for Raymond. Gardiner + a little something something for Schneider might work
probably not for us
gardiner's great, but doesnt address our primary need

Old
10-19-2012, 09:12 AM
hockeywoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by TML g u n n e R s View Post
cant wait for nucks fan to be disappointed when the true value of lou comes out.
correction: cant wait for leafs fan to be disappointed when the true value of lou comes out.

None of us know what the value of Luongo is. None of us are involved in the trade talks. (...well unless
Burke, Tallon, Gillis troll these boards in secret)

He won't be traded for as much as some nuck fans think.
However, he won't be traded for as little as some leafs fans think either.

Old
10-19-2012, 09:15 AM
Liferleafer
Golf....again....

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeywoot View Post
correction: cant wait for leafs fan to be disappointed when the true value of lou comes out.

None of us know what the value of Luongo is. None of us are involved in the trade talks. (...well unless
Burke, Tallon, Gillis troll these boards in secret)

He won't be traded for as much as some nuck fans think.
However, he won't be traded for as little as some leafs fans think either.
Other than Kessel...care to tell me were Burke has blown his wad trying to aquire a player?

Old
10-19-2012, 09:16 AM
Vankiller Whale
Win it for AV

vCash: 5100
Schneider for Rielly/JVR + 1st would have me interested, tbh.

Old
10-19-2012, 09:19 AM
david999

John Shannon will be on the Fan 590 at 10:20am to explain the Leafs Vancouver "done deal" regarding Luongo

Old
10-19-2012, 09:23 AM
gooilgo
Fehr is a reptile

Was hoping to continue some sensible debate but this has descended into franchise bashing and simply unrealistic offers. I am done here.

Old
10-19-2012, 09:26 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
Other than Kessel...care to tell me were Burke has blown his wad trying to aquire a player?

Depends on the degree. He has definitely "lost" deals no question. Now would it be better to point out which ones and induce a maelstrom? Or better yet to say that overpaying on a deal is subjective... And leave it at that?

Edit: I for one agree that he won't overpay for Lu. But then I also think he won't get Lu so it fits. He has traditionally devalued goaltending. I don't expect that to change.

Old
10-19-2012, 09:35 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
still wait to see a response to this

no matter what will happen, his value to the Leafs or Panthers did not go up. VAN will never trade him to the Oilers unless something happens that won't (Trade includes Hall, Eberle, RNH or Yakupov). This won't rise the price up
His value goes up on here at least because part of the reason his value on here went down was because fans were arguing that his cap hit could stay on the books of the team that acquires him.

10-19-2012, 09:41 AM
Liferleafer
Golf....again....

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon4679 View Post
luongo and raymond for colburne franson and ashton or ross
The Leafs have absolutely no need for Raymond. Luongo's contract is enough, not looking to take on a bonus cap dump.

Old
10-19-2012, 09:45 AM
Liferleafer
Golf....again....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Depends on the degree. He has definitely "lost" deals no question. Now would it be better to point out which ones and induce a maelstrom? Or better yet to say that overpaying on a deal is subjective... And leave it at that?

Edit: I for one agree that he won't overpay for Lu. But then I also think he won't get Lu so it fits. He has traditionally devalued goaltending. I don't expect that to change.
I'll agree in full with the 1st part of your post. Not so much with the 2nd part though. I think he will land Luongo, i also think the payment will piss off both fanbases, Leaf fans will say to much while Nuck's fans will scream not enough.

Old
10-19-2012, 09:47 AM
Liferleafer
Golf....again....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Would rather pay less for Luongo.

Old
10-19-2012, 09:51 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
I'll agree in full with the 1st part of your post. Not so much with the 2nd part though. I think he will land Luongo, i also think the payment will piss off both fanbases, Leaf fans will say to much while Nuck's fans will scream not enough.

Really Liferleafer? You actually think Burke, who is notorious for the band aid goaltending fix, will pony up enough to get Gillis to agree? Wouldn't that be something?

Burke doesn't pay for goalies. He and Gillis also hate each other. Lu wants FLA first before he even considers TO, and somehow this will break right to have Lu in blue and white?... I don't see it. There's just too much going against it... I mean stranger things have happened, but Gillis and Burke doing a deal? Hmmm

Old
10-19-2012, 09:54 AM
Fearless Leaf*
Playiffs 2013!!!!!

Quote:
Lol, you are not getting Rielly or a 1st. JVR can be had but not with another significant peice added.

Maybe JVR + Colborne for either Luongu or Schneider is probably fair.

Old
10-19-2012, 09:54 AM
Liferleafer
Golf....again....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
Allaire or whatever his name was didn`t seem to be able to do the job then again, from reports (true or not?) he (Allaire) claims he was being pushed out by someone else. Either way, Luongo or not, the Leafs still have 4 glaring needs IMO

1- a bonafide #1 NHL centerman

2- Goaltending

3- Defense

4- A true leader

I asked a Leaf fan buddy of mine the other day what the Leafs strength is, his only answer was they had some guys who could score, that was it, not good
JVR/Kessel/Reilly/Gardiner/Lupul/Holzer/Biggs/McKegg/Scrivens...etc. Say what you will, but it's not all doom and gloom. There is alot of work to be done agreed, but i think only 2 of the 4 are true needs. Goaltending...yes. #1C...absolutely. Defence...Phaneuf/Gunner/JML/Gardiner/Franson/Komi with Reilly/Holzer/Blacker on the horizon and a defencive coach like Carlyle and i think we are OK. A true leader....well that is one of those "intangibles" that can't be measured on a scorecard.

Old
10-19-2012, 10:02 AM
Liferleafer
Golf....again....

Quote:
Really Liferleafer? You actually think Burke, who is notorious for the band aid goaltending fix, will pony up enough to get Gillis to agree? Wouldn't that be something?

Burke doesn't pay for goalies. He and Gillis also hate each other. Lu wants FLA first before he even considers TO, and somehow this will break right to have Lu in blue and white?... I don't see it. There's just too much going against it... I mean stranger things have happened, but Gillis and Burke doing a deal? Hmmm
Just my gut....FLA would have to want Luongo 1st. I think TO will offer more than FLA just because the need is bigger here. I don't see FLA offerring a 1st or any of their studs simply because they don't have the pressure on them....they are fine with what they have and Markstrom is on the horizon.

As far as Burke devaluing goalies...you may be right. But we also have Nonis...who does not. Lets also be fair here...you can't take the rants of a fanbase and assume these are Burke's beleafs, he is a GM and i'm sure will pay fair value for Luongo.

You know your GM better than me, so if you say his "hatred" for Burke means he'll take less from someone else, i'll believe you. Not to sure how happy i'd be about that though.

Old
10-19-2012, 10:03 AM
TOGuy14

Quote:
Yeah, no. Some Leafs fans are willing to actually give up fair value for Luongo, believe it or not. Burke will have to be one of them if he wants Luongo.
I would say on HFBoards about 75% of the Luongo related trade posts are started by Vancouver fans who are on a shopping spree of some of the better young talent from other teams. Very few posts are actually form other teams trying to acquire Lu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYVanfan View Post
at this point i would almost prefer we trade schneider for a bonafide top 6er and keep luongo

something like schneider and raymond for kane or eberle plus a pick or something

i know that would really strengthen a key competitor, but it also should make us strong enough to win a cup in the next few years. After that, rebuild.

No offense, but none of the Leafs' pieces are particularly exciting. I guess Gardiner, though he seems to be heavliy hyped....or Kessel, but I'm assuming he's untouchable (Gardiner too, probably)

would the leafs do something like
Schnieder, Raymond
for
Gardiner, Lupul, 1st
What is this? I don't even know where to begin.

Can you please explain to me how Schneider has any significant value above Gardiner (if he even has any added value at all)? Please don't tell me that Schneider is the more proven player having had all of his starts for a President's Cup winning team, and having played in few NHL games than Jake Gardiner despite being four years older?

Lupul or Gardiner alone is about what Schneider is worth, the rest of it is just garbage.

Old
10-19-2012, 10:12 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Just my gut....FLA would have to want Luongo 1st. I think TO will offer more than FLA just because the need is bigger here. I don't see FLA offerring a 1st or any of their studs simply because they don't have the pressure on them....they are fine with what they have and Markstrom is on the horizon.

As far as Burke devaluing goalies...you may be right. But we also have Nonis...who does not. Lets also be fair here...you can't take the rants of a fanbase and assume these are Burke's beleafs, he is a GM and i'm sure will pay fair value for Luongo.

You know your GM better than me, so if you say his "hatred" for Burke means he'll take less from someone else, i'll believe you. Not to sure how happy i'd be about that though.

You make a lot of good points.

I do think Gillis takes less from FLA in part because of the tenuous negotiations he and Burke might have and in part to accommodate Lu. He's also concluded a few trades with Tallon already, so they are familiar tactics wise on that front.

Good point about Nonis. If anyone is pushing for Lu in that office it's him. But Burke is the opposite with goaltending. His nature is try the quick fix. I'm not sure who wins out?

I don't completely dismiss fan input. Even if it is in the form of a rant. There's some insight there. As to how close it is to Burke... Time will tell.

Old
10-19-2012, 10:15 AM
Vankiller Whale
Win it for AV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearless Leaf View Post
Lol, you are not getting Rielly or a 1st. JVR can be had but not with another significant peice added.

Maybe JVR + Colborne for either Luongu or Schneider is probably fair.
Schneider requires slight overpayment, but fair enough.

Luongo for JVR + Colborne I would do.

Old
10-19-2012, 10:15 AM
Beezeral

Quote:
You make a lot of good points.

I do think Gillis takes less from FLA in part because of the tenuous negotiations he and Burke might have and in part to accommodate Lu. He's also concluded a few trades with Tallon already, so they are familiar tactics wise on that front.

Good point about Nonis. If anyone is pushing for Lu in that office it's him. But Burke is the opposite with goaltending. His nature is try the quick fix. I'm not sure who wins out?

I don't completely dismiss fan input. Even if it is in the form of a rant. There's some insight there. As to how close it is to Burke... Time will tell.
Florida's only card is that it seems luongo prefers Florida. Fortunately for the panthers, luongo can basically force a deal to the panthers with his ntc. If he is willing to go other places, then I have a hard time seeing Florida being a major player.

Old
10-19-2012, 10:16 AM
Fearless Leaf*
Playiffs 2013!!!!!

Quote:

Sounds good to me.

Old
10-19-2012, 10:21 AM
KlattNazty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearless Leaf View Post
Sounds good to me.
Guess it's a different view but that's an easy pass for me as a leafs fan.

Beating a dead horse here and it is not to offend van fans, just not interested in luongo given his age and contract.

Younger? Yes. Sadly he is not, while otherwise I think he fits the bill as a need for us perfectly.

Also just not interested in giving up JVR before he plays a single game for us, especially given our lack of forwards with size.

Old
10-19-2012, 10:21 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:

Agreed I would do this too. Either Colborne or Ashton.

The Leafs just acquired JvR though so I don't know if they'd be interested in flipping him.

Old
10-19-2012, 10:24 AM
crump
~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~

vCash: 208
Keep in mind that Burke tends to overpay to get key pieces when he doesnt have to. It's almost like he feels sorry for the other GM.

I don't think Luongo is the answer for the Leafs, certainly the Canucks are not dealing from a position of strength, but to think Burke is only going to give up Reimer and an AHL player for him is delusional.

Old
10-19-2012, 10:30 AM
Vankiller Whale
Win it for AV

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlattNazty View Post
Guess it's a different view but that's an easy pass for me as a leafs fan.

Beating a dead horse here and it is not to offend van fans, just not interested in luongo given his age and contract.

Younger? Yes. Sadly he is not, while otherwise I think he fits the bill as a need for us perfectly.

Also just not interested in giving up JVR before he plays a single game for us, especially given our lack of forwards with size.
The problem is that elite goalies are hardly ever on the market, let alone ones who are young as well. Is Luongo a perfect fit? No. But he still has a lot of good hockey left in him, and the last time the Leafs were competitive, they also had older goalies. If Luongo were younger, he would also cost a lot more than you'd be willing to give up.

Closed Thread