HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

All Purpose Luongo Trade Discussion (New news) MOD WARNING IN OP

Closed Thread

Old
10-19-2012, 02:20 PM
danfromwaterloo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
1st off...as i look at my avatar...and then let you know that i am a LEAF fan, i am not advocating selling the farm, but i would be willing to offer a better than crap deal to fill a gaping hole on my team.
...and I agree. But I think Luongo has too many downsides. If he can't get a President's cup team to the promised land, I don't think he's offering us what we need.

Old
10-19-2012, 02:21 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by danfromwaterloo View Post
...and I agree. But I think Luongo has too many downsides. If he can't get a President's cup team to the promised land, I don't think he's offering us what we need.
Just curious. But who are you going to pick up who will get you to the promised land?

Old
10-19-2012, 02:22 PM
Vankiller Whale
Bow down

vCash: 1675
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
Just curious. But who are you going to pick up who will get you to the promised land?
At this rate, Mackinnon.

Old
10-19-2012, 02:23 PM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
I blame the Toronto media. They've brainwashed people into thinking Luongo has negative value and will go to Toronto for almost nothing. It's when the Oilers fans were far more reasonable as a whole that it put things in petspective for me.

but on the flip side I think some canuck fans think they will get a lot more for him then they will

as I said earlier I think you guys will get something good for him but not as much as you hope. When I see getting a top fw (based upon the perimeters that some canuck fans are stating) that will slide onto the topline. a top prospect and a first round pick--that I do not see happening. I think you will get one or the other. You will get a top fw or will get a top prospect and first rounder

Welcome to Edmonton Connor McDavid--the rest of you HA HA HA HA HA HA
Old
10-19-2012, 02:26 PM
Liferleafer
Bring on Stome-afin!

Quote:
Well alrighty then....guess i'll cross off Lundquist,Price,Miller,Rinne...etc off my wish list as NONE of them have made it to the "promised land". I guess backstopping a team to back to back Prez trophies means squat....well that and he didn't score enough in the finals as the rest of his dam team could only muster 8 goals in 7 games!!! But alas you are right....all Luongo's fault.

Although in retrospect...it might be nice to see my team in the finals.....

Old
10-19-2012, 02:35 PM
blendini

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFITO View Post
we're all missing something... it's called the CBA. Until we know how that shapes up, nobody can say with any certainty what the Canucks can or can't do with Luongo.

and just because we're not trading him going into this season (when the CBA does come in), doesn't mean he can't be dealt during the year... or by the deadline... or even next offseason. There's plenty of time to look for a better deal than just take whatever is offered right away.

And again, if Luongo does come back and plays the year in Vancouver, maybe it's Schneider who is moved a year later? Luongo has the ability to take that #1 spot again and force the team to move Schneider.

We just don't know what will happen at this point.
I think you have a good point here. A year from now, Schneider is going to look even better and will fetch an awsome trade. Looks like Luongo's cap hit will be on the Canucks for the rest of his life, so they might as well keep him.

Now, if we could get rid of all the homers and haters of these two teams, we could also reduce the drudgery of reading through them.

Old
10-19-2012, 02:41 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
Well alrighty then....guess i'll cross off Lundquist,Price,Miller,Rinne...etc off my wish list as NONE of them have made it to the "promised land". I guess backstopping a team to back to back Prez trophies means squat....well that and he didn't score enough in the finals as the rest of his dam team could only muster 8 goals in 7 games!!! But alas you are right....all Luongo's fault.

Although in retrospect...it might be nice to see my team in the finals.....
forget the finals, after not seeing your team in the playoffs since the last lockout - 7 full years - you'd think that Leafs fans would be happy seeing their team in the playoffs again?

Or maybe all those losing years have gotten fans used to losing year after year? I still hear how many fans are happy with a slow rebuild - although you gotta think that even a "slow" rebuild is considered a failure when there is no upward progression from season to season, and 4 years of losing under the current GM, followed by 3 years of losing from the previous regime, would point to that rebuild just not working? Some are still saying they could make do with a Reimer/Scrivens combo, as they did so last year. I guess if making do is finishing in 13th place, and seeing no progression towards the playoffs, the Leafs are fine with what they have.

Clearly it's the top team with 2 top goalies who have helped them to back to back President's trophies that are in a desperate situation - caught between a "rock and a hard place" as another poster put it. The team that is out of the playoffs for 7 straight years and have managed back to back 13th place finishes in their most recent years is clearly the less desperate team.

Old
10-19-2012, 03:30 PM
Haka

Quote:
I believe the tandem of Reimer and Scrivens will be no worse (and probably better) than last years tandem, which we made do with.
"made do with" ??? You guys came 13th! You absolutely did not make do haha. Like that might be the completely opposite definition of "make do".

Old
10-19-2012, 03:37 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFITO View Post
forget the finals, after not seeing your team in the playoffs since the last lockout - 7 full years - you'd think that Leafs fans would be happy seeing their team in the playoffs again?
It really is a crazy argument. "We don't want Lu, he sucks in the playoffs, so we'll go with the guy that won't get us into the playoffs at all!". Crazy talk.

Old
10-19-2012, 03:41 PM
Liferleafer
Bring on Stome-afin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
It really is a crazy argument. "We don't want Lu, he sucks in the playoffs, so we'll go with the guy that won't get us into the playoffs at all!". Crazy talk.
Well...at least our guys don't suck in the playoffs....

Old
10-19-2012, 03:49 PM
MapleLeafsFan4Ever
Go Leafs Go

Canucks GM Gillis: Luongo to Leafs rumours are 'not true'

Obviously Gillis would say these rumours are not true and they can't talk about players during the lockout, so it's why would he even be asked about this

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=407700

Old
10-19-2012, 04:03 PM
yankeeking

the local station is replaying each round of the playoffs on wed nites and after watching the first two games of the opening round lu sure wasn't to blame for the 0-2 deficit he was blamed for, the team spent more time trying to prove how tough they were and trying to intimidate then they did playing hockey, the first game the kings had 8 power plays and lu stood on his head and the second there were break downs all over their defence leaving him exposed, IMHO if lu had been in net for the bruins or kings he may have just got to the promised land, can't believe i am actually defending this guy lol

Old
10-19-2012, 04:13 PM
Reverend Mayhem
I would be awesomer.

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
yankeeking has it right. The team was not mentally prepared for the playoffs and seemed more concerned with how they were going to play than how they were going to win.

Old
10-19-2012, 04:19 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeking View Post
the team spent more time trying to prove how tough they were
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZ75H7gS0hc

That pretty much ended our season for a number of reasons.

Old
10-19-2012, 04:39 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeking View Post
the local station is replaying each round of the playoffs on wed nites and after watching the first two games of the opening round lu sure wasn't to blame for the 0-2 deficit he was blamed for, the team spent more time trying to prove how tough they were and trying to intimidate then they did playing hockey, the first game the kings had 8 power plays and lu stood on his head and the second there were break downs all over their defence leaving him exposed, IMHO if lu had been in net for the bruins or kings he may have just got to the promised land, can't believe i am actually defending this guy lol
Aka what Canuck fans have been saying all summer long.

Glad you were able to come around, if only more could come to realizing this.

Old
10-19-2012, 05:02 PM
mriswith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagine17 View Post
Aka what Canuck fans have been saying all summer long.

Glad you were able to come around, if only more could come to realizing this.
There are plenty on our own boards who haven't realized this either, it's not just other teams. I figure it's a product of paying more attention to media reports than what actually occurred on ice.

Old
10-19-2012, 05:22 PM
ChillyPalmer

Other then the Leafs, what other teams are making a push for Lu?

I think the cap coming down eliminates the Panthers. Unless major salary is going back the other way.

Old
10-19-2012, 05:26 PM
StringerBell

Not sure how Bozak makes sense as the centerpiece of the deal. I would be shocked if we trade Luongo for an upcoming UFA, providing there isn't a good futures package coming along with him.

Old
10-19-2012, 05:27 PM
StringerBell

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChillyPalmer View Post
Other then the Leafs, what other teams are making a push for Lu?

I think the cap coming down eliminates the Panthers. Unless major salary is going back the other way.
Why would the cap coming down eliminate the Panthers? Decreased amount of money committed to player salaries, increased revenue sharing. Were you expecting Florida to be a cap team or something?

Old
10-19-2012, 05:32 PM
ChillyPalmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLager View Post
Why would the cap coming down eliminate the Panthers? Decreased amount of money committed to player salaries, increased revenue sharing. Were you expecting Florida to be a cap team or something?
Why have him on your team taking up space for 4 to 5 years ,when you have a serviceable goalie in Theodore with Markstrom in the wings?

Panthers are just a frugal team.

Old
10-19-2012, 05:36 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Why have him on your team taking up space for 4 to 5 years ,when you have a serviceable goalie in Theodore with Markstrom in the wings?

They have to watch their dollars more carefully than teams like Toronto and Vancouver that's for sure. On the other hand they did acquire Brian Campbell.
But I tend to agree with you that Florida is a team that does not have to make a goaltending move. I think that a big name player like Luongo could help sell tickets for them but they will only move if the price is right.

Old
10-19-2012, 05:36 PM
Back in 94
In Gillis I trust

vCash: 366
Quote:

You didn't answer his question.

Old
10-19-2012, 05:39 PM
Vankiller Whale
Bow down

vCash: 1675
Quote:

One of the clauses in the proposed CBA would allow teams to pay up to 3 mil in salary for traded players, which would be pretty attractive to Florida.

There are rumours that Chicago made a push a while back, and Edmonton was rumoured to have made an offer better than the Leafs.

The Jackets may be an option yet, as Gillis has said he'll wait until he gets an offer he likes before asking Luongo to waive.

Old
10-19-2012, 05:41 PM
ChillyPalmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back in 94 View Post
You didn't answer his question.
Cap space being limited, they should invest in areas that they need to invest in. Like someone who can score for example.

I just don't think goaltending is the place they should be allocating their resources.

Old
10-19-2012, 05:49 PM
MapleLeafsFan4Ever
Go Leafs Go

According to Damien Cox at the draft the Canucks asked for Tyler Bozak, Jake Gardiner, a first-round pick and Matt Frattin in return for Luongo.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/...st-not-yet-cox

Quote:
At the draft, reports indicated Vancouver asked for centre Tyler Bozak, defenceman Jake Gardiner, a first-round pick and winger Matt Frattin in exchange for the 33-year-old Luongo. The Leafs had no interest in paying that kind of price, largely because there is no significant market for the services of the veteran goaltender.

Closed Thread