HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Luongo Thread - Gardiner or Bust Edition (Mod Warning in OP)

Closed Thread

Old
10-18-2012, 09:03 PM
Son of a Dawson
Bo Knows Hockey

vCash: 500
Wouldn't mind seeing a deal built around Alzner +. Local kid who's already established himself as a full time NHLer. Already averaging over 20 mins a game. To bad he's not a righty. Anyone who thinks Kuznetsov would be involved in a deal is dreaming.

Old
10-18-2012, 09:04 PM
HeroNtF

Gardiner + is what I ment for a elite centerman...

or perhaps a goalie that's younger and doesn't have one of the worst contracts in the league, which would hinder the team in a couple years, and add to the fact that Luongo would be playing infront of a team that isn't as good as the Canucks, a team he was unable to perform behind in the playoffs...simply, he chokes... So I don't even know why Burke would want Luongo if he is get us to the playoffs then disappear.

Jvr won't be traded...that's just silly. Burke is probably the biggest Nazi of player fairness, just look at how mad he got that he had to send down Orr, a player he signed, he pretty by the books and doesn't like to break unwritten rules.

Kulemin and first at most ! The first would have to be playoff protected for 2013, no way Burke throws more high picks for free to other teams, his head would be on a platter for sure.

And common, you are not getting Eberle for Schneider.

Old
10-18-2012, 09:10 PM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeroNtF View Post

or perhaps a goalie that's younger and doesn't have one of the worst contracts in the league, which would hinder the team in a couple years, and add to the fact that Luongo would be playing infront of a team that isn't as good as the Canucks, a team he was unable to perform behind in the playoffs...simply, he chokes... So I don't even know why Burke would want Luongo if he is get us to the playoffs then disappear.

Jvr won't be traded...that's just silly. Burke is probably the biggest Nazi of player fairness, just look at how mad he got that he had to send down Orr, a player he signed, he pretty by the books and doesn't like to break unwritten rules.

Kulemin and first at most ! The first would have to be playoff protected for 2013, no way Burke throws more high picks for free to other teams, his head would be on a platter for sure.

Thanks for coming out. Enjoy not being in the playoffs for another 8 years

Old
10-18-2012, 09:11 PM
Son of a Dawson
Bo Knows Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
Not likely unless Holtby needs about 6 years if grooming.
Same argument could be made for Florida with Markstrom. Voukon didn't pan out, and Mcphee has an abundance of assets. Who knows where Lou will end up? Just think Gillis would prefer to move him out East, so he doesn't haunt GMMG and the organizations dreams come next season. Whenever that may be, well that is the question.

Old
10-18-2012, 09:12 PM
SunshineRays

Quote:

Lol. He's the nazi of fairness? It's solely his choice to send down Orr. It was solely his choice to buy out players, such as Armstrong this past summer. Some GM's don't do either (see Gillis). Burke is the king of saying things to the media, then doing the opposite. He was sooooo against these long term deals, yet he's spent the last 4 months trying to acquire one (Luongo).

If Burke didn't want Luongo, he wouldn't have made an offer for him in July. And he most certainly wouldn't have made another offer just before the lockout. Those actions strongly suggest a GM who wants that player.

Old
10-18-2012, 09:12 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
TBH Kulemin + 1st is a decent base. It's a really nice looking draft.

Old
10-18-2012, 09:15 PM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
He stated a "playoff protected" 1sr rounder.

Old
10-18-2012, 09:16 PM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineRays View Post
Lol. He's the nazi of fairness? It's solely his choice to send down Orr. It was solely his choice to buy out players, such as Armstrong this past summer. Some GM's don't do either (see Gillis). Burke is the king of saying things to the media, then doing the opposite. He was sooooo against these long term deals, yet he's spent the last 4 months trying to acquire one (Luongo).

If Burke didn't want Luongo, he wouldn't have made an offer for him in July. And he most certainly wouldn't have made another offer just before the lockout. Those actions strongly suggest a GM who wants that player.
He also treated Klatt and Umberger with total fairness

Old
10-18-2012, 09:17 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
I wouldn't be happy. Kulemin doesn't address any of our needs and is more of what we already have.

Lupul and a 1 for Luongo and Raymond would work.

10-18-2012, 09:19 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
I wouldn't be happy. Kulemin doesn't address any of our needs and is more of what we already have.

Lupul and a 1 for Luongo and Raymond would work.
I agree I wouldn't be happy, but at least there's value there, unlike some of the other Leafs proposals. Obviously I'd prefer the above trade though.

Old
10-18-2012, 09:25 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
I agree I wouldn't be happy, but at least there's value there, unlike some of the other Leafs proposals. Obviously I'd prefer the above trade though.
I'm actually really hoping the reports of a trade with the Leafs turns out to be false. They really don't have much that I would want.

Old
10-18-2012, 09:36 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

Quote:
I'm actually really hoping the reports of a trade with the Leafs turns out to be false. They really don't have much that I would want.
JVR, Lupul, Gardiner, Rielly. If any one of those are involved I will be happy.

Old
10-18-2012, 09:40 PM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

That article said Canucks wanted Gardiner plus plus plus.

If they did actually agree to something, I think it's Gardiner plus a dump

Old
10-18-2012, 09:40 PM
mriswith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of a Dawson View Post
Wouldn't mind seeing a deal built around Alzner +. Local kid who's already established himself as a full time NHLer. Already averaging over 20 mins a game. To bad he's not a righty. Anyone who thinks Kuznetsov would be involved in a deal is dreaming.
Aren't there strong concerns that Kuznetsov isn't going to come to the NHL at all? He's married, he just reupped his contract in the KHL and has stated he's going to finish it.

That said, Washington has a lot of nice pieces to make a deal around. I'd love it if they were the mystery team.

Quote:
Agreed. It's sad how empty that cupboard is after eight years of futility.

Quote:
JVR, Lupul, Gardiner, Rielly. If any one of those are involved I will be happy.
IMO one of those has to be involved, and with a + unless it's one of the dmen. Don't really see why we'd make the trade otherwise.

Old
10-18-2012, 09:45 PM
CCF23

Send a message via MSN to CCF23
Quote:

This sentiment absolutely blows my mind every single time I hear it. It doesn't surprise me, but it blows my mind.

First of all:

...and of course, the argument people like to make is that anyone could've won playing goal for team Canada...

Whoops, guess not.

Then people say he chokes in the playoffs even though his numbers are near identical to their regular season totals (2.52GAA vs 2.50GAA and .919SV% vs .917SV%). People fail to recognize he led the lowest scoring team ever to reach a game 7 of the cup final to that very point.

The people that tell you the Canucks are overrated are the exact same ones that will, when trying to discredit Luongo, talk about how he couldn't win in front of "a good Canucks team". There are people that will always pick faults. Is Luongo perfect? Hell no. Is he still a top goalie in the NHL? Hell yes. Just because the Canucks have two top goalies doesn't mean we're just going to give you one. You don't want to pay for him? Let me look into the ol' crystal ball...

Old
10-18-2012, 09:55 PM
JayBeautiful
Nature Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
That article said Canucks wanted Gardiner plus plus plus.

If they did actually agree to something, I think it's Gardiner plus a dump
Gardiner is a nice player but doesn't address any of the Canucks needs, if he were a righty then maybe but a lefty? he doesn't even crack our top 6 and then we should take a dump also? no thanks, can't see it

Old
10-18-2012, 09:58 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBeautiful View Post
Gardiner is a nice player but doesn't address any of the Canucks needs, if he were a righty then maybe but a lefty? he doesn't even crack our top 6 and then we should take a dump also? no thanks, can't see it
Gardiner + Colborne would be a good trade. Would allow us to subsequently move Alex Edler for an upgrade up front.

Old
10-18-2012, 10:03 PM
JayBeautiful
Nature Boy

Quote:
Gardiner + Colborne would be a good trade. Would allow us to subsequently move Alex Edler for an upgrade up front.
Again, JVR, Colbourne & a 1st for Luongo & a choice of Raymond or a 2nd, hell I'd even throw in Rodin

Old
10-18-2012, 10:07 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBeautiful View Post
Again, JVR, Colbourne & a 1st for Luongo & a choice of Raymond or a 2nd, hell I'd even throw in Rodin
I would be very happy with that too. Fair value in my opinion.

EDIT: Under the NHL's proposal, if JVR retires before the completion of this contract his $4.25M cap hit reverts to the Flyers

Old
10-18-2012, 11:08 PM
kthsn

vCash: 1785
Would anyone else be happy with Grabovski as the main piece coming back?

Hank - Kesler - Grabovski would be tremendous depth.

Grabovski is great defensively (+great advanced stats) and can put with ~50 points with tweener wingers. Left handed C too.

Old
10-18-2012, 11:10 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthsn View Post

Grabovski is great defensively (+great advanced stats) and can put with ~50 points with tweener wingers. Left handed C too.
I've actually come around on Grabovski. Maybe something like Luongo + 2nd for Grabovski + 1st?

Old
10-18-2012, 11:23 PM
Scurr

Quote:

He's been the guy I've wanted from the start. He adds everywhere, one shot scorer, good defensive player, fast and surprisingly gritty. He's worth the money because he makes both his wingers better. I also like the idea of loading up a line with Kesler on the wing when were down a goal or making a push. He'd also help on the 2nd PP.

Toronto only lets Grabovski go if they land Stastny or some other #1 centre.

Quote:
I've actually come around on Grabovski. Maybe something like Luongo + 2nd for Grabovski + 1st?
Luongo for Grabovksi is fair imo. Lu is the better player with the better deal, Grabovski plays the more valuable position and is younger.

Old
10-18-2012, 11:32 PM
kthsn

vCash: 1785
Quote:
I don't see the Leafs giving up a first without some sort of conditions placed on it, probably something like a lottery protection or it's deferred to next season.

I'd much prefer that instead of a tweener+pick/prospect package.

Kulemin/MacArthur can serve as a upgrade over Raymond (as a tweener) but Luongo should warrant one good player coming back.

Old
10-18-2012, 11:40 PM
Reverend Mayhem
Freeway's closed man

vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
I don't see the Leafs giving up a first without some sort of conditions placed on it, probably something like a lottery protection or it's deferred to next season.

Kulemin/MacArthur can serve as a upgrade over Raymond (as a tweener) but Luongo should warrant one good player coming back.
Like I've said time and time again I think Raymond is terribly undervalued on these boards in particular. I think that's partially why no other fans see the value in him either, but I digress.

Raymond is a defensively responsible forward who is very streaky and chips in the odd star performance. He's a more than serviceable PK player and is about a 40-45 point-player (read: second line player). He skates fast, dare I say has decent passing abilities but not great passing abilities. In a lot of ways, reminds me of a young Peter Schaefer.

Old
10-18-2012, 11:41 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:

The thing with Grabovski is, his cap hit is damn ugly.

Closed Thread