HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Luongo Thread - Gardiner or Bust Edition (Mod Warning in OP)

Closed Thread

Old
10-18-2012, 11:41 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
Reimer has a 1 way contract for 2012-13 & 2013-14. Do we want a 1.8m cap hit when/if we put him in the minors.

We could stash Scrivens this year but next year he's going to cost $600K cap hit in the minors.

Old
10-18-2012, 11:46 PM
Scurr

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
Reimer has a 1 way contract for 2012-13 & 2013-14. Do we want a 1.8m cap hit when/if we put him in the minors.

We could stash Scrivens this year but next year he's going to cost $600K cap hit in the minors.
I think either guy would land on an NHL team before they got to the minors.

Old
10-18-2012, 11:49 PM
kthsn

vCash: 1785
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
The thing with Grabovski is, his cap hit is damn ugly.
5.5M is a good price for a high end #2C.

The Canucks lucked out with Kesler taking a discount, for a lottery team Burke managed to pay UFA prices...so not bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
Raymond is a defensively responsible forward who is very streaky and chips in the odd star performance. He's a more than serviceable PK player and is about a 40-45 point-player (read: second line player). He skates fast, dare I say has decent passing abilities but not great passing abilities.
Kulemin is exactly that but has size and is good along the boards.

MacArthur would be the best fit for Kesler - Booth IMO, not good defensively but a playmaking winger.

Old
10-18-2012, 11:53 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by kthsn View Post
5.5M is a good price for a high end #2C.

The Canucks lucked out with Kesler taking a discount, for a lottery team Burke managed to pay UFA prices...so not bad.

Kulemin is exactly that but has size and is good along the boards.

MacArthur would be the best fit for Kesler - Booth IMO, not good defensively but a playmaking winger.
I agree $5.5M is a good price for a high end #2C. That's Ryan Kesler. Grabovski is nowhere near as good as Kesler. He's a soft 50 point 2-way 2nd line center.

If Kulemin scored 30 goals with a 12% shooting percentage, and didn't regress to 7 goals last year I would be interested. I recall a time people were wanting us to acquire David Booth, and now people cant stand the guy.

10-18-2012, 11:56 PM
kthsn

Quote:
I agree $5.5M is a good price for a high end #2C. That's Ryan Kesler. Grabovski is nowhere near as good as Kesler. He's a soft 50 point 2-way 2nd line center.
Grabovski isn't soft hes just...very weak.

Old
10-19-2012, 12:01 AM
Vancouver_2010
Go Canucks & Oilers

Quote:
ONLY halfway?
I am actually glad that there is no hockey, can you imagine going half a season without kesler? Or Kesler is forced to play injured again? This lockout give us time to heal and more time for our prospect to develop, this is absolutely wonderful for us.

Anyways, back to Luongo, do you think Florida would be interested to trade Campbell for Luongo?

Last edited by Vancouver_2010: 10-19-2012 at 12:06 AM.
Old
10-19-2012, 12:01 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthsn View Post
Grabovski isn't soft hes just...very weak.
He doesn't initiate contact, and our top 6 is already easy enough to play against from a physicality standpoint.

Not saying I would say no to Grabovski, but I don't value him as highly as others.

Old
10-19-2012, 12:13 AM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
I don't think the Leafs could run with Bozak-Connolly as their top 6 centres. The very thought is painful.

Old
10-19-2012, 12:29 AM
Peter Griffin

I highly doubt the Leafs would move Grabovski. They just re-signed him long term and their center depth is atrocious. Lupul, maybe, if they get really desperate or don't think they can re-sign him. But with his chemistry with Kessel they likely won't want to move him.

Old
10-19-2012, 12:51 AM
kthsn

Quote:
He doesn't initiate contact, and our top 6 is already easy enough to play against from a physicality standpoint.
Agreed but Grabovski would be our #3C. He's as gritty as Manny IMO.

Pair him with some gritty tweeners and we'll be fine.

If we load up the 2nd line, Booth - Grabovski - Kesler should be physical enough for any team.

Old
10-19-2012, 01:08 AM
mriswith

The main problem with Grabovski, other than that the leafs can't really afford to trade him with their abysmal center depth, is his cap. 5.5 mil for 50 points - less if we use him as 3rd line center. If we end up needing to dump salary, he'd be the frontrunner after Ballard.

IMO the ideal return would be a strong futures package - either a top prospect or a high pick. A solid prospect who could step in and contribute while on an ELC gives us cap flexibility and fits with the model of perpetually competing.

I know we have a gap in the top 6, but I don't see us being able to fill it and be cap compliant. Who knows, maybe Kassian or Jensen will take a big leap this year and be able to grab that spot beside Kesler. If not, Higgins-Kesler-Booth performed well enough to manage.

Old
10-19-2012, 01:35 AM
Scurr

Quote:
I agree $5.5M is a good price for a high end #2C. That's Ryan Kesler. Grabovski is nowhere near as good as Kesler.
Grabovski is anywhere from the 30th to 40th best centre in the league, depending who you ask. Kesler might be a 2nd line centre on our team but he's a 1st on a lot of them.

Old
10-19-2012, 01:36 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by schism View Post
The main problem with Grabovski, other than that the leafs can't really afford to trade him with their abysmal center depth, is his cap. 5.5 mil for 50 points - less if we use him as 3rd line center. If we end up needing to dump salary, he'd be the frontrunner after Ballard.

IMO the ideal return would be a strong futures package - either a top prospect or a high pick. A solid prospect who could step in and contribute while on an ELC gives us cap flexibility and fits with the model of perpetually competing.

I know we have a gap in the top 6, but I don't see us being able to fill it and be cap compliant. Who knows, maybe Kassian or Jensen will take a big leap this year and be able to grab that spot beside Kesler. If not, Higgins-Kesler-Booth performed well enough to manage.
Our playoff scoring was abysmal once again. I don't know if I could stomach another playoff exit due to our offense being as bad as it has been for the past two years in the playoffs.

Old
10-19-2012, 01:45 AM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by schism View Post
Grabovski has been over 2 points every 60 minutes 5 on 5 for 3 years straight. That's really good even strength production, which this team really needs. He did that playing with pretty average wingers against the best competition of any other centre on the team. He either takes pressure off of Kesler defensively or gets to play in a more offensive role. Best of all he gives us three lines that can score which we've been sorely missing in the playoffs.

Old
10-19-2012, 01:46 AM
mriswith

Quote:
Our playoff scoring was abysmal once again. I don't know if I could stomach another playoff exit due to our offense being as bad as it has been for the past two years in the playoffs.
Having Kesler and D.Sedin healthy for the series and our team realizing that you have to try in the playoffs from game one would probably have made a huge difference this year, and injuries wrecked us in the finals the year before.

I'd like a legitimate top 6 upgrade, I just don't really see it happening while remaining cap compliant. It's unfortunate Kassian isn't a few years further along his development because he's exactly what that line needs (big, tough, playmaking rhs rw).

Quote:
Grabovski has been over 2 points every 60 minutes 5 on 5 for 3 years straight. That's really good even strength production, which this team really needs. He did that playing with pretty average wingers against the best competition of any other centre on the team. He either takes pressure off of Kesler defensively or gets to play in a more offensive role. Best of all he gives us three lines that can score which we've been sorely missing in the playoffs.
I like Grabovski, I just don't see how we can stay cap compliant with him.

Old
10-19-2012, 01:52 AM
Bleach Clean

The new salary cap will tell us just how much salary the team can take on.

I think the cap will be around 60m so IMO, the team can't take any salary back. They will have to move Lu, and another salary later on. As a result, Grabovski doesn't make a good target. Nothing wrong with the player though.

Old
10-19-2012, 01:58 AM
SunshineRays

Found the audio for Gillis interview on team 1040 this mornin' - where he discusses Luongo:

http://teamradio.ca/news/mike-gillis...uongo-rumours/

Sound to me like there is no deal in place ..... at all. It doesn't sound like he was skirting the question - as Botchford suggested.

Also sounds like he's playing hard ball in terms of return - which I guess any GM would do. He's been consistent in saying "we'll get what we want, or he stays". I'm not sure any GM in the league gets exactly what they want, but I'm glad he's staying the course.

Old
10-19-2012, 07:49 AM
Orca Smash

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineRays View Post
Found the audio for Gillis interview on team 1040 this mornin' - where he discusses Luongo:

http://teamradio.ca/news/mike-gillis...uongo-rumours/

Sound to me like there is no deal in place ..... at all. It doesn't sound like he was skirting the question - as Botchford suggested.

Also sounds like he's playing hard ball in terms of return - which I guess any GM would do. He's been consistent in saying "we'll get what we want, or he stays". I'm not sure any GM in the league gets exactly what they want, but I'm glad he's staying the course.
The trouble with gillis is you have no idea. He has a fantastic poker face. He had me convinced he was not doing anything at the deadline, and even praising hodgson weeks prior on the team 1040. You just never know.

Old
10-19-2012, 08:32 AM
Peter

Kulemin and Scrivens will likely be apart of some kind of trade once CBA lockout ends - why not Vancouver? Scrivens is capable back-up to Schneids (if Lack not quite ready). Kulemin, IMO, is an upgrade on Raymond. But Gillis is going to want a player like Gardiner, Colbourne or more likely Carter Ashton. I see Toronto asking for both Luongo and Raymond for a package of Ashton/Kulemin/Scrivens

Old
10-19-2012, 08:56 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orca Smash View Post
The trouble with gillis is you have no idea. He has a fantastic poker face. He had me convinced he was not doing anything at the deadline, and even praising hodgson weeks prior on the team 1040. You just never know.

Actually, I was little surprised by what I heard from Gillis here. He seemed pretty matter of fact. Usually he has measured responses, but here he kind of outlines a "take it or leave it" attitude. As if he's negotiating through the media...

I'm wondering if a deal doesn't get done, does he risk alienating Lu just to hold onto him? He makes it look like that is exactly what he is planning.

Old
10-19-2012, 10:07 AM
Liferleafer
RIP Mrs Doubtfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
Kulemin and Scrivens will likely be apart of some kind of trade once CBA lockout ends - why not Vancouver? Scrivens is capable back-up to Schneids (if Lack not quite ready). Kulemin, IMO, is an upgrade on Raymond. But Gillis is going to want a player like Gardiner, Colbourne or more likely Carter Ashton. I see Toronto asking for both Luongo and Raymond for a package of Ashton/Kulemin/Scrivens
Probably not. We have an abundance of wingers, if Kuli is dealt we still have Kessel/Lupul/JVR/Mac as our top 6 and Kadri/Frattin both ready, really no need for Raymond.

Old
10-19-2012, 10:18 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
Probably not. We have an abundance of wingers, if Kuli is dealt we still have Kessel/Lupul/JVR/Mac as our top 6 and Kadri/Frattin both ready, really no need for Raymond.
I agree. It makes little sense for Raymond to be going to TO. He doesn't supplant what they already have.

Old
10-19-2012, 10:20 AM
CanucksOo

According to Damien Cox, the asking price for Lui at the draft was Bozak, Gardiner,Frattin and 1st round pick. Now something centered around Bozak is being negotiated.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/...st-not-yet-cox

Old
10-19-2012, 10:23 AM
Bleach Clean

Ok, this was taken from over on the leafs board. Apparently, Damien Cox is on the sauce again. He said Gillis _demanded_ Frattin, Gardiner, Bozak and a 1st for Luongo...

That seems near impossible to me. Bozak is the leafs 1st line C. He would also ensure Schroeder never gets a chance. Next, Gardiner ensures Ballard is out ASAP. Then there's Frattin - who does he replace? And the 1st on top of that??

I doubt Gillis would be as emboldened to ask for all of that. Seems ridiculous. I.e. A Damien Cox rumour.

Edit: Damnit CanucksOo!

Old
10-19-2012, 10:29 AM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Ok, this was taken from over on the leafs board. Apparently, Damien Cox is on the sauce again. He said Gillis _demanded_ Frattin, Gardiner, Bozak and a 1st for Luongo...

That seems near impossible to me. Bozak is the leafs 1st line C. He would also ensure Schroeder never gets a chance. Next, Gardiner ensures Ballard is out ASAP. Then there's Frattin - who does he replace? And the 1st on top of that??
JVR, Grabovski, McCLement, Steckel with Connolly hanging around and Colborne in the organization. I guess it depends how committed they are to JVR at centre.

Frattin competes for the 2nd line RW spot, Bozak only has a year left on his deal. I think that package makes sense for us.

Closed Thread