HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Markov staying in the KHL?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-18-2012, 09:30 AM
  #1
jhjhjhjhjhjh*
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 441
vCash: 500
Markov staying in the KHL?

Markov has just said that if there was to be a season in the NHL he might stay in the KHL. Coming from a habs fan I think this would be great for the team because we won't have to deal with his awful contract and we might have a better pick in the 2013 NHL draft. So if he stayed in the KHL would you say it would be a good thing or a bad thing for Montreal considering that we're now a rebuilding team.

jhjhjhjhjhjh* is offline  
Old
10-18-2012, 09:33 AM
  #2
Deevo
Registered User
 
Deevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 981
vCash: 500
How would this work contractually?

Deevo is offline  
Old
10-18-2012, 09:38 AM
  #3
legendinblue
LEAFS SUCK
 
legendinblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 6,097
vCash: 500
I think he will be back, but it would be a blow for the Habs, he's a very good Dman who happens to be injured too often, unfortunately.

legendinblue is offline  
Old
10-18-2012, 09:51 AM
  #4
jpchabby
Registered User
 
jpchabby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,650
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegab1223 View Post
Markov has just said that if there was to be a season in the NHL he might stay in the KHL. Coming from a habs fan I think this would be great for the team because we won't have to deal with his awful contract and we might have a better pick in the 2013 NHL draft. So if he stayed in the KHL would you say it would be a good thing or a bad thing for Montreal considering that we're now a rebuilding team.
When Healthy, Markov has proved to be one of the best D in the league (2 years ago, people were arguing wether he was top 5 or top 10 in the NHL... I think top 10 was more realistic TBH). I don't think it would be all that great if he stayed in Russia, because his contract isn't that awful.

jpchabby is offline  
Old
10-18-2012, 10:01 AM
  #5
Help
Help Yourself
 
Help's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: HELP HELP HELP
Posts: 5,260
vCash: 135
Firstly, RDS is starving for attention, don't listen to anything they say. They do love nothing more than to sensationalize.

Secondly, losing Markov for another season would be a horrible loss to the Habs. Markov has always been a player based on intelligence, I don't think a knee injury would have much effect on him, he'll be a bargain at the 5.75mil that he's being paid

Also, if I'm not mistaken the NHL-KHL agreement basically makes him, or any NHLer under contract unable to stay in Russia once the NHL resumes

Help is offline  
Old
10-18-2012, 10:06 AM
  #6
jhjhjhjhjhjh*
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 441
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel Sanchez View Post
Firstly, RDS is starving for attention, don't listen to anything they say. They do love nothing more than to sensationalize.

Secondly, losing Markov for another season would be a horrible loss to the Habs. Markov has always been a player based on intelligence, I don't think a knee injury would have much effect on him, he'll be a bargain at the 5.75mil that he's being paid

Also, if I'm not mistaken the NHL-KHL agreement basically makes him, or any NHLer under contract unable to stay in Russia once the NHL resumes
I know all of that, I think he will be back he's a great player when healthy and is very important to this team. That's why I said if he's going to leave then we're pretty much screwed like we were last season and are in full blown rebuild. Personally I would sacrifice the next 2-3 years to have 12 good ones with great young players.


Last edited by jhjhjhjhjhjh*: 10-18-2012 at 10:24 AM.
jhjhjhjhjhjh* is offline  
Old
10-18-2012, 10:08 AM
  #7
Help
Help Yourself
 
Help's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: HELP HELP HELP
Posts: 5,260
vCash: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegab1223 View Post
I know all of that, I think he will be back he's a great player when healthy and is very important to this team. That's why I said if he's going to leave there we're pretty much screwed like we were last season and are in full blown rebuild. Personally I would sacrifice the next 2-3 years to have 12 good ones with great young players.
The season hasn't started yet, don't worry about the draft

Help is offline  
Old
10-18-2012, 10:10 AM
  #8
GordieHoweHatTrick
Registered User
 
GordieHoweHatTrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 13,235
vCash: 500
34 years old and only 20 games the past two seasons. Me thinks that once he returns he won't be as impactful as people like to believe

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline  
Old
10-18-2012, 10:11 AM
  #9
SLAPSHOT723
Moderator
Johnny Rockets
 
SLAPSHOT723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Long Island
Posts: 17,084
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
34 years old and only 20 games the past two seasons. Me thinks that once he returns he won't be as impactful as people like to believe
Agreed. He's not going to just step right back in and tear it up again. That's not easy for any player to do.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline  
Old
10-18-2012, 10:13 AM
  #10
jhjhjhjhjhjh*
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 441
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpchabby View Post
When Healthy, Markov has proved to be one of the best D in the league (2 years ago, people were arguing wether he was top 5 or top 10 in the NHL... I think top 10 was more realistic TBH). I don't think it would be all that great if he stayed in Russia, because his contract isn't that awful.
I think it would be great if he stayed in Russia, we would lose more games and would have a chance to draft the true first line winger we've been so desperately looking for. Either Drouin or Shinkaruk would be amazing Shinkaruk being my first choice.

jhjhjhjhjhjh* is offline  
Old
10-18-2012, 10:14 AM
  #11
Trance Kuja
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch
 
Trance Kuja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Teek City, Nofunia
Country: United States
Posts: 48,273
vCash: 500
Blessing in disguise for the Canadiens. No... just a blessing.

Trance Kuja is online now  
Old
10-18-2012, 10:15 AM
  #12
jhjhjhjhjhjh*
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 441
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel Sanchez View Post
The season hasn't started yet, don't worry about the draft
You're right but I'm just so pumped about this 2013 draft great players.

jhjhjhjhjhjh* is offline  
Old
10-18-2012, 10:24 AM
  #13
habs_24x
Registered User
 
habs_24x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,381
vCash: 500
I think the KHL is more his speed today and he realizes that. Im going to miss him.

habs_24x is offline  
Old
10-18-2012, 10:24 AM
  #14
1972
"Craigs on it"
 
1972's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,569
vCash: 500
All you Habs fan worry about is a damn draft pick

1972 is online now  
Old
10-18-2012, 10:26 AM
  #15
Help
Help Yourself
 
Help's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: HELP HELP HELP
Posts: 5,260
vCash: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972 View Post
All you Habs fan worry about is a damn draft pick
Disgusting, isn't it?

Help is offline  
Old
10-18-2012, 10:27 AM
  #16
elias026
Registered User
 
elias026's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,027
vCash: 500
If the NHL offer is accepted his cap hit will still be there

elias026 is offline  
Old
10-18-2012, 10:33 AM
  #17
Slick Eller
Registered User
 
Slick Eller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Laurentides
Posts: 1,271
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by elias026 View Post
If the NHL offer is accepted his cap hit will still be there
No.

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 4 characters.

Slick Eller is offline  
Old
10-18-2012, 10:33 AM
  #18
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto
 
Andrighetto Fabolous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,654
vCash: 500
Dave Stubbs confirmed that he's coming back once the lockout is over, he's not staying in the KHL.

Andrighetto Fabolous is offline  
Old
10-18-2012, 10:33 AM
  #19
jhjhjhjhjhjh*
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 441
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972 View Post
All you Habs fan worry about is a damn draft pick
Why wouldn't I worry? Most of our good players are 30+ and we aren't playoff contenders anymore. We need to do like most of the stanley cup contenders right now and finish in the gutter for a few years and grab talent what's wrong with that? Most habs fans expectations are just too high and they expect the club to make the playoffs every year why can't Montreal rebuild? we already have a good group of prospects but we need more. Maybe in 3 years we'll be contenders again but not right now.

jhjhjhjhjhjh* is offline  
Old
10-18-2012, 10:55 AM
  #20
1972
"Craigs on it"
 
1972's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,569
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegab1223 View Post
Why wouldn't I worry? Most of our good players are 30+ and we aren't playoff contenders anymore. We need to do like most of the stanley cup contenders right now and finish in the gutter for a few years and grab talent what's wrong with that? Most habs fans expectations are just too high and they expect the club to make the playoffs every year why can't Montreal rebuild? we already have a good group of prospects but we need more. Maybe in 3 years we'll be contenders again but not right now.
tanking is not how most teams become contenders, why not hope for your young players to take a step foward this year and maybe make the playoffs? or you could cheer for a miserable 8 months of your team losing. I honestly cannot stand hearing fans want to lose before a season has started. I would be pretty pissed if my teams owner, coach, or GM thought that way.

1972 is online now  
Old
10-18-2012, 11:01 AM
  #21
jhjhjhjhjhjh*
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 441
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972 View Post
tanking is not how most teams become contenders, why not hope for your young players to take a step foward this year and maybe make the playoffs? or you could cheer for a miserable 8 months of your team losing. I honestly cannot stand hearing fans want to lose before a season has started. I would be pretty pissed if my teams owner, coach, or GM thought that way.
I didn't say tanking I just said that we have too many bad contracts, our key players are aging and it's time for a rebuild last season wasn't tanking but we still finished 28th there aren't any signs that this season won't be the same. Markov will be on the team if there is a 2012-13 season but he won't be the player he used to be we will still miss the playoffs.

jhjhjhjhjhjh* is offline  
Old
10-18-2012, 11:17 AM
  #22
sharks9
Registered User
 
sharks9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 9,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegab1223 View Post
Why wouldn't I worry? Most of our good players are 30+ and we aren't playoff contenders anymore. We need to do like most of the stanley cup contenders right now and finish in the gutter for a few years and grab talent what's wrong with that? Most habs fans expectations are just too high and they expect the club to make the playoffs every year why can't Montreal rebuild? we already have a good group of prospects but we need more. Maybe in 3 years we'll be contenders again but not right now.
Ummmm lets take a look at the players we have that are under 30:

Plekanec
Subban
Price
Pacioretty
Desharnais
Eller
Gorges
Weber
Diaz
etc.

And what's wrong with that is it's incredibly boring to watch and is no guarantee of anything. Look at Columbus, Florida, Edmonton, Toronto, Islanders, etc. Do you want to be bad for a decade like they've been? I know I don't. We should always be striving to make the playoffs because there's no guarantee that tanking will work out and it's painful as hell to watch.

sharks9 is offline  
Old
10-18-2012, 11:26 AM
  #23
jhjhjhjhjhjh*
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 441
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharks9 View Post
Ummmm lets take a look at the players we have that are under 30:

Plekanec
Subban
Price
Pacioretty
Desharnais
Eller
Gorges
Weber
Diaz
etc.

And what's wrong with that is it's incredibly boring to watch and is no guarantee of anything. Look at Columbus, Florida, Edmonton, Toronto, Islanders, etc. Do you want to be bad for a decade like they've been? I know I don't. We should always be striving to make the playoffs because there's no guarantee that tanking will work out and it's painful as hell to watch.
Plekanec will turn 30 before the start of the regular season if there is one that's why I was putting him in the 30 yr old players. We still don't have a very good team and by the way we have much better management than teams like Columbus and the Islanders so if we're out of the playoffs it's for 2 years max but we will still get great players from the draft during those 2 years. Florida, Edmonton and Toronto are all on the right pace because of good management if we rebuild correctly we won't be out for long but like I said we have to do it correctly and we will be good for a long time.

jhjhjhjhjhjh* is offline  
Old
10-18-2012, 11:32 AM
  #24
Elever
Hth
 
Elever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,484
vCash: 500
It might be good for them. Not worry about what ifs with his inkuries and realize Subbans the no1

Elever is offline  
Old
10-18-2012, 11:43 AM
  #25
Subbanned
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 605
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharks9 View Post
Ummmm lets take a look at the players we have that are under 30:

Plekanec
Subban
Price
Pacioretty
Desharnais
Eller
Gorges
Weber
Diaz
etc.

And what's wrong with that is it's incredibly boring to watch and is no guarantee of anything. Look at Columbus, Florida, Edmonton, Toronto, Islanders, etc. Do you want to be bad for a decade like they've been? I know I don't. We should always be striving to make the playoffs because there's no guarantee that tanking will work out and it's painful as hell to watch.
What have we accomplished in the decade that the aforementioned teams have been bad? Nothing. Some mediocre playoff runs nonwithstanding. There's no guarantee that higher draft picks will work out, but it gives us a better chance than treading water like we have been. All of the teams you mentioned have better prospect pools and brighter futures than we do.

Subbanned is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:10 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.