HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)

Where do you see Montreal ending up in the standings?

View Poll Results: Will Montreal make or miss the playoffs?
They will make the playoffs 24 20.00%
They will miss the playoffs 96 80.00%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Old
10-18-2012, 09:48 AM
jhjhjhjhjhjh*

vCash: 500
Where do you see Montreal ending up in the standings?

I will only give 2 choices for the poll make or miss the playoffs but feel free to give me your predictions on where you think they will end up in the standings.

jhjhjhjhjhjh* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 09:52 AM
llamateizer

6-12 range
I think they'll miss the playoffs

llamateizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 10:09 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Sorry Habs fans, but I think it'll be another 1-2 seasons before you make the playoffs. As it stands now now enough firepower up front and a few question marks on the blueline.

Get rid of Markov and replace him with a reliable 2nd pairing PMD and the Habs are instantly in way better shape.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 10:12 AM
Trance Kuja
Global Moderator

They'll come in last in the Eastern Conference or close to it.

Trance Kuja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 10:14 AM
Help
Send help

vCash: 50
They weren't as bad as the standings indicated last year, that said they'll be in that 8-10 area with Toronto and Tampa Bay. Mostly likely won't make it

Help is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 10:24 AM
sharks9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel Sanchez View Post
They weren't as bad as the standings indicated last year, that said they'll be in that 8-10 area with Toronto and Tampa Bay. Mostly likely won't make it
Agreed. Last year was just a fluke, they'll be similar to where they were the past couple years, fighting for a playoff spot in the 6-10 range.

sharks9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 10:33 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewBACHa View Post
6-12 range
I think they'll miss the playoffs
I don't think there will be a season, but this would be my prediction as well. They have goaltending, and a great wildcard hope on the blueline with Markov returning, so that is all positive. Up front, if the Cole-Pacioretty duo could get some added offensive support from a Gionta line, that would help... the team would still be weak offensively, but perhaps not fatally weak... strong defense/goaltending and a little more depth/toughness might help balance that. If Markov re-ignited the PP as well, that would be another huge factor in offsetting some of the 5-on-5 offensive weakness.

My biggest worry would actually be in terms of coaching. The team played pretty well defensively and systematically and excelled on the PK last season, but the new coach isn't quite so renowned for that, and as much as Martin was "boring" and had traits we grew to dislike, his style might have been reasonably well-suited for a team that struggles to score, and a less rigorous system and more volatile coach might not work best... I think most of us Habs fans were looking for a coaching change anyway, and are ready to roll the dice despite the risks, but Therrien does seem like a risk.

Blind Gardien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 10:36 AM
jhjhjhjhjhjh*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
I don't think there will be a season, but this would be my prediction as well. They have goaltending, and a great wildcard hope on the blueline with Markov returning, so that is all positive. Up front, if the Cole-Pacioretty duo could get some added offensive support from a Gionta line, that would help... the team would still be weak offensively, but perhaps not fatally weak... strong defense/goaltending and a little more depth/toughness might help balance that. If Markov re-ignited the PP as well, that would be another huge factor in offsetting some of the 5-on-5 offensive weakness.

My biggest worry would actually be in terms of coaching. The team played pretty well defensively and systematically and excelled on the PK last season, but the new coach isn't quite so renowned for that, and as much as Martin was "boring" and had traits we grew to dislike, his style might have been reasonably well-suited for a team that struggles to score, and a less rigorous system and more volatile coach might not work best... I think most of us Habs fans were looking for a coaching change anyway, and are ready to roll the dice despite the risks, but Therrien does seem like a risk.
I always liked Martin play simple and good things were going to happen although for some of our offensive players at the time that wasn't the best thing for them.

Old
10-18-2012, 10:42 AM
Frank Drebin

vCash: 735
Miss the playoffs / 20-25 overall.

Top 3 pick again with a proper tank.

Frank Drebin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 11:10 AM
Jerk Store
Classless

I don't see them making it, but not as badly as last season. They sort of adressed the bottom six and have good goaltending, but the top 6 is still lacking.

The D is a big question mark. I don't see Markov fully returning to form. I hope he does as he's always been a terrific player and it would be a shame to see him decline so early. Subban I've always said, overrated and I think he's rubbing many teammates the wrong way. Emelin could be interesting, if he stops putting himself out of position, he could be a solid D-man.

However, the one I am most excited to see this year (knock on wood) is Desharnais. If he can show that last season wasn't a fluke, then he could be the difference maker and push the Habs in the playoffs.

Jerk Store is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 11:28 AM
ficohok*
Mrzim Kanadu !

With some luck they could sneak into playoffs.

ficohok* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 11:47 AM
iPunch
Leafs Fan

vCash: 133
No real chance of making the playoffs. It's rare that teams bounce back immediately after bottoming out. I just don't think they have the personnel to be one of them.

iPunch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 11:50 AM
ficohok*
Mrzim Kanadu !

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPunch View Post
No real chance of making the playoffs. It's rare that teams bounce back immediately after bottoming out. I just don't think they have the personnel to be one of them.
Never know...look at AVS, after they finished 28th in 08/09 they have had very good 09/10 season

ficohok* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 11:51 AM
jhjhjhjhjhjh*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannheim View Post
Never know...look at AVS, after they finished 28th in 08/09 they have had very good 09/10 season
New Jersey is also an example. But I don't think Montreal has a good chance New Jersey were a better team.

Old
10-18-2012, 12:13 PM
sharks9

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegab1223 View Post
New Jersey is also an example. But I don't think Montreal has a good chance New Jersey were a better team.
Ottawa and Florida did it last year, Tampa Bay the year before, LA the year before that. No one ever really thinks the bottom 2-3 teams in each conference have a chance to make the playoffs the next year but it does happen.

Montreal hasn't been consistently bad like the other 4 teams in the bottom 5 this year and I think they have a good chance to bounce back.

sharks9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 12:24 PM
tsujimoto74

Bubble team, imo.

tsujimoto74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 12:55 PM
tony d
Thanks for memories

They will just miss the playoffs this year.

10-18-2012, 02:01 PM
JordanStaal#1Fan

I like their first line wingers and Desharnais has done a good job with them, but he isn't first-line material. Their second line is kinda weak. Bourque has been crap and Gionta comes back from injury. I really like Plekanec though. This line could surpass expectation and make me look foolish, they are their wild card IMO. I don't hate their bottom 6, good mix of skill, size and toughness.

As for defense, it is pretty weak especially if Markov isn't back to his old self. Subban is a great player, Gorges is a very serviceable 3/4, but their other d-men are not good, not good at all. Luckily for them, they have 3-4 nice players in the AHL that will make the jump sooner rather than later. Diaz, Weber, Kaberle, too much softies in there. With Markov and Subban, they don't even need any of these guys. I hope for them that guys like Bouillon and Emelin see time as 5/6 and that those guys sit. If they can add a #3 or #4 d-man (Gorges is an ideal 4, but can play as a 3 if needed), they could really solidified their D. But as of now, they are kind of weak.

In nets, Price is awesome. He, along with the second line, is the key to the playoffs. I don't think they'll make it, but if Price stands on his head and Plekanec's line gels, MAYBE they could sneak in.

To summarize, I think they have a nice core but a LOT of holes. They should be pretty good in a couple of years, they have nice prospects on the way. This year will be another rebuild year. They probably will be in the hunt for a playoff spot, but I don't think they'll make it.

JordanStaal#1Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 03:10 PM
mytor4*

Ahead of the Leafs for sure.

mytor4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 03:19 PM
jhjhjhjhjhjh*

Quote:
Originally Posted by topdog View Post
Ahead of the Leafs for sure.
Maybe not.

Old
10-18-2012, 03:22 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
Sorry Habs fans, but I think it'll be another 1-2 seasons before you make the playoffs. As it stands now now enough firepower up front and a few question marks on the blueline.

Get rid of Markov and replace him with a reliable 2nd pairing PMD and the Habs are instantly in way better shape.
wut ? A healthy Markov makes Montreal much, much better. 5 on 5 and on the pp. Both where they needed help the most.

Doesn't matter, though. Not going to be a season.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 03:25 PM
Nizdizzle
Salary cap? Huh?

Although I dont think they are as bad as last season, I don't think they are as good as they were the season before. I said it at the start of this season, that they were as good as they were because of Price. If he has an average year, Habs are a 7-10 team in the east, IMO.

Nizdizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 03:49 PM
bp spec

7-12

bp spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 05:35 PM
PierreMcGuire*
How dissapointing

They will miss the playoffs is my prediction. I don't like their chances to make the playoffs, but I wouldn't be surprised if they squeaked in and took the 7 or 8 seed. Lot of their success depends on Markov's health, and how good Price plays.

PierreMcGuire* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 05:35 PM
Et le But

Top 5, if we are talking lotto rankings.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote