HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hockey Central Evaluates Leafs

Old
10-18-2012, 08:11 PM
Sam Slick*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whydidijoin View Post
Lol, good ol' Sportsnet. Can't do anything right.
I missed you.....where the hell were ya?

I am in the 15th round and can barely hold my arms up, my legs are getting wobbly and my left jab is all but gone.....

Lol

Sam Slick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 09:04 PM
showtime8

Quote:
Lol, good ol' Sportsnet. Can't do anything right.
You upset with the analysis of the playoff bound Leafs?

showtime8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 09:43 PM
Whydidijoin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by showtime8 View Post
Playoffs or not, placing them last is flat-out ridiculous, unsubstantiated, and an obvious ploy at getting people to watch. Place Leafs properly? Who cares. Place Leafs last? Well then, now we get people riled up. Any publicity is good publicity as they say.

Then there is the question of why they are even making projections in the first place, at a time when the season isn't even looking like it will happen, or why the idiots that populate Sportsnet are allowed to do it. Or why what they say about anything holds any merit to anybody.

If I am upset about anything, the last thing would be a desperate ploy regarding an obviously wrong analysis of the Leafs. That just makes me laugh. If I am upset about anything, it is that Sportsnet exists at all, and I am forced to watch Leaf games on such a terrible channel.

Whydidijoin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 09:50 PM
diceman934
LINT must go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Slick View Post
Really? So what is your list? did you make one so people can flame? I did, and most agree that I am fairly close.

Ps. Quite sure I have played more, watched more games than you and coached more than most.

I am 49. Been a leaf fan for 43 years. Seen almost every game, every season. Played Semi-pro in Germany for 3 years and coached for 22 years. Pictures tell a thousand words. I also played 8 games for team Canada in Soccer. When I was in New Zealand, I was a personal trainer for 12 NZ All Blacks. I have a pretty good knowledge of sports.

I am currently in training for Javelin for the Canada games. I am only 3 meters off our record. Not bad for an old guy.

ps. Sports has been partly responsible for the end of 3 marriages. I may be partly responsible too.
What is your point.....that your resume compares to the individuals who you are calling the 3 stooges and buffoons. Lots of people on here could post their resume and it would prove the same as yours.....nothing!

diceman934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 09:55 PM
showtime8

Quote:
Playoffs or not, placing them last is flat-out ridiculous, unsubstantiated, and an obvious ploy at getting people to watch. Place Leafs properly? Who cares. Place Leafs last? Well then, now we get people riled up. Any publicity is good publicity as they say.

Then there is the question of why they are even making projections in the first place, at a time when the season isn't even looking like it will happen, or why the idiots that populate Sportsnet are allowed to do it. Or why what they say about anything holds any merit to anybody.

If I am upset about anything, the last thing would be a desperate ploy regarding an obviously wrong analysis of the Leafs. That just makes me laugh. If I am upset about anything, it is that Sportsnet exists at all, and I am forced to watch Leaf games on such a terrible channel.
Wow, can you tell me how you really feel about Sportsnet?

If they are breaking down a hockey team on Hockey Central, I'm not sure what else you expect? You're going to be upset if they continue to talk about how little progress the NHL and PA are getting and if you switch to TSN what movie of the night is it going to be today?

I don't think that its unsubstantiated at all. I could definitely see the Leafs coming in last. And regardless of if you think that I'm drinking the Rogers kool-aid or not, the Leafs will only go as far as their goaltender and that is the biggest question mark in the league.

showtime8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 10:05 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcanologist View Post
oh, well if a titanic hockey mind like Doug Maclean says so...
He was a GM, but yes we know GMs make mistakes.

Desjardins estimates that about 40% of the game is captured by Corsi analysis.

Babs - short for Barbara
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 10:09 PM
dougieg93
flip for filip

I think these predictions are a good thing as it least it lowers expectations and provide the players with the feeling they can prove people wrong.

dougieg93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 10:11 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
As for Komarov making the team, I think that is wishful thinking. I have been watching the marlies games and for what ever reason he just doesnt seem to fit in. Maybe in time he will, but certainly is not NHL ready by a long shot.
Two games on the small ice.

You didn't actually see anyone on Sunday that looked NHL ready did you?

Old
10-18-2012, 10:15 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
What! Are you kidding? Fundamentally I will give you 5 fundamental changes.
1JVR
2Maclement
3Carlyle, who brings 2 other changes.
3a, a defensive system
3b, a PK system.

Those are all things, fundamentally, that we didnt have last year?

I don't know why posters choose to ignore those things.
I'm thinking playoffs this year, or else.

And where did all the Ronnie Wilson support go? Maybe his support was based on Burke not firing him rather than the job he was doing?

Old
10-18-2012, 10:17 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:

If they are breaking down a hockey team on Hockey Central, I'm not sure what else you expect? You're going to be upset if they continue to talk about how little progress the NHL and PA are getting and if you switch to TSN what movie of the night is it going to be today?

I don't think that its unsubstantiated at all. I could definitely see the Leafs coming in last. And regardless of if you think that I'm drinking the Rogers kool-aid or not, the Leafs will only go as far as their goaltender and that is the biggest question mark in the league.
The Leafs at present plan on going with 2 goalies with less than 100 NHL games combined experience.

When you look at other teams that finished near the bottom in Montreal (Price), and NYI (Nabokov), Carolina (Ward) all have experienced goaltenders that have proven track records of NHL success. With only 4 points (82 to 78) separating all 4 teams at the bottom of last years standings in the East.

So its not hard to see Sportsnet's position of a bottom 5 NHL Leafs finishing team, heading into a new season with the least experienced unproven goalie tandem in the league at the most critical position to hope for success.

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 10:31 PM
Whydidijoin*

Quote:

Considering that our goaltending was as bad as it could possibly be last year, and we still didn't come in last (we in fact held a playoff spot for most of the season), and we have improved in other areas, yes, last place is a considerable stretch.

Old
10-18-2012, 10:32 PM
Whydidijoin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
And where did all the Ronnie Wilson support go? Maybe his support was based on Burke not firing him rather than the job he was doing?
Ron Wilson support? What world have you been living in?

Old
10-18-2012, 11:01 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
I love how Sportsnet has John Garrett predicting every single year the Canucks will win the cup.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 11:05 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
I love how Sportsnet has John Garrett predicting every single year the Canucks will win the cup.
Oh, GOD.

The memories of the Canuck Broadcasting Corporation's HNiC had all but evaporated from my current memory.

Now it has been recalled from the archives...

I really hope HNiC loses the contract for the Leafs.

Old
10-18-2012, 11:08 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Ron Wilson support? What world have you been living in?
Too much in this one. Always blame the players, never ever was it Wilson's fault. Keep reading how he had them in the playoffs for most of the season, and then some unforseen (except for those who saw through the facade) disaster struck and they dropped all the way down to 5th. worst.

Outscoring the problems ... the Wilson strategy.

Old
10-18-2012, 11:42 PM
Whydidijoin*

Quote:
Too much in this one. Always blame the players, never ever was it Wilson's fault. Keep reading how he had them in the playoffs for most of the season, and then some unforseen (except for those who saw through the facade) disaster struck and they dropped all the way down to 5th. worst.

Wilson has been at fault more than anybody else for years by the overwhelming majority.

Not sure what you are talking about...

Old
10-19-2012, 12:17 AM
Sam Slick*

Quote:
Originally Posted by diceman934 View Post
What is your point.....that your resume compares to the individuals who you are calling the 3 stooges and buffoons. Lots of people on here could post their resume and it would prove the same as yours.....nothing!
....you mad?

Old
10-19-2012, 12:19 AM
Sam Slick*

Quote:
I'm thinking playoffs this year, or else.

2 good points Ulf

Old
10-19-2012, 12:22 AM
Sam Slick*

Quote:

When a coach is no longer welcome, and loses a room, the downfall happens fairly quickly. Thats exactly what happened. Wilson was a tool and the players tired of him.

Old
10-19-2012, 12:24 AM
Sam Slick*

Quote:
Wilson has been at fault more than anybody else for years by the overwhelming majority.

Not sure what you are talking about...
Completely agree. Anyone that has played can state coaches they hated and the ones they really liked. You just play harder for the ones you like.

Old
10-19-2012, 05:55 AM
The Nic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drmckool View Post
Didn't Ferraro say that as well?
It was Ferraro... Dreger picked Edmonton.

The Nic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 05:57 AM
416Leafer

Quote:
To be fair, there's not a whole lot separating the bottom 5-7 teams in the East. While I think its unlikely that we come dead last, I would say us coming dead last is just as likely as us making the playoffs. My expectation is 10th-13th about. Though considering the parity in the league, if we have one major breakout season from any of JVR, Reimer, or Gardiner, that could raelly help push us towards playoffs. But if Phaneuf has an off year or gets any major injuries, I wouldnt be surprised with dead last.

416Leafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 06:12 AM
The Mentalist
PRAGMATIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBird View Post
McLean and Kypreos along with Millard featured the TML's as their Team of the day, and the verdict is in. They both picked the Leafs as dead last in the East sighting their lack of Character, Talent, and Leadership along with suspect Defence and Goaltending as reasons.

They quoted Shannon as saying a deal in principle for Luongo has been worked out, nothing can be finalized untill CBA is intact.

Your learned opinions would be much appreciated.
Nothing I haven't said this summer, most leafs fans have the blinders on and are just cheerleaders. Maybe this is a site just full of kids posting, they don't know better. People are calling me the T word for posting factual #84 stats or critiquing the core nucleus, leadership and mix of the team.

Atleast The Experts agree with me, how about that?

The Mentalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 06:38 AM
Joey24

Send a message via ICQ to Joey24
Quote:
Really? So what is your list? did you make one so people can flame? I did, and most agree that I am fairly close.

Ps. Quite sure I have played more, watched more games than you and coached more than most.

I am 49. Been a leaf fan for 43 years. Seen almost every game, every season. Played Semi-pro in Germany for 3 years and coached for 22 years. Pictures tell a thousand words. I also played 8 games for team Canada in Soccer. When I was in New Zealand, I was a personal trainer for 12 NZ All Blacks. I have a pretty good knowledge of sports.

I am currently in training for Javelin for the Canada games. I am only 3 meters off our record. Not bad for an old guy.

ps. Sports has been partly responsible for the end of 3 marriages. I may be partly responsible too.
Wow really I live in Auckland NZ, and I know the str and conditioning coach for the AB's, he also runs his own personal training business and has done so for about 18 years now. Been the str and conditioning coach for the AB's for as long as I've been in nz pushing 10 years now.

Joey24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 07:33 AM
bunjay

Quote:
What! Are you kidding? Fundamentally I will give you 5 fundamental changes.
1JVR
JVR is, up to this point, a 40 point forward on a team with twice the firepower.

Quote:
2Maclement
Lol...and?

Quote:
3Carlyle, who brings 2 other changes.
3a, a defensive system
3b, a PK system.
It remains to be seen what this actually does for the Leafs in the standings. Assuming that new coach = playoffs is a very homer thing to do. So an unbiased person looks at the leafs and sees:

Still a question mark in goal.

Still sub-par defense.

Still no number 1 center.

No reason to expect much better.

I don't know why posters choose to ignore those things.[/QUOTE]

bunjay is offline   Reply With Quote