HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Early Oscar buzz: ar...go....name some contenders

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-26-2012, 10:48 AM
  #276
Stu Macher
Registered User
 
Stu Macher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Burke, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,399
vCash: 500
Early reviews of ZERO DARK THIRTY coming in...

http://blogs.indiewire.com/criticwir...thirty-reviews

Stu Macher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 10:52 AM
  #277
Auguste Escoffier
Registered User
 
Auguste Escoffier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Country: Uzbekistan
Posts: 5,611
vCash: 500
"I would like to thank Harvey Weinstein."

It seems every ****ing fake says that.

I hope that is who Hopkins was alluding to.

Auguste Escoffier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 12:57 PM
  #278
eldiablo17
Registered User
 
eldiablo17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,920
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auguste Escoffier View Post
"I would like to thank Harvey Weinstein."

It seems every ****ing fake says that.

I hope that is who Hopkins was alluding to.
I doubt it since Harvey is the producer, so he has an active interest to seeing films do well at the Oscars, if anything he's doing the sucking up/bribing. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if most people saying that were honest, The Weinstein Company (and previously Miramax) have done so much for independent directors and film, I'm sure there are a lot of careers and passion projects that wouldn't be here without him and his brother.

eldiablo17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 01:31 PM
  #279
kihei
Registered User
 
kihei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,560
vCash: 4601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Macher View Post
Early reviews of ZERO DARK THIRTY coming in...

http://blogs.indiewire.com/criticwir...thirty-reviews
I really think she is the perfect director for the job, so I have high expectations.

kihei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 02:05 PM
  #280
discostu
Registered User
 
discostu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Nomadville
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,171
vCash: 500
I saw Life of Pi on the weekend as well. I read the book years ago, and thought it was great, and thought this adaptation was a very good interpretation of some very tough material to bring to the screen.

That said, it doesn't feel like a best picture winner. It may score a nomination, depending on the strength of the field, and I haven't seen many of the other high buzz movies this year.

I think it will fare well in some other categories for nominations, such as visual effects, cinematography and for adapted screenplay.

I wasn't thinking of Iran Khan as a supporting actor nominee, but, would be happy to see it. That ending scene is tricky, and the weight of the whole film rests on it.

discostu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 06:55 PM
  #281
kihei
Registered User
 
kihei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,560
vCash: 4601
Killing Them Softly could have been a contender, but it suffers from self-inflicted wounds as the director makes heavy use of archival television commentary to make obvious political points in too many scenes. Still, it's a pretty good and very entertaining movie for all that.

Brad Pitt, however, deserves a nomination for his performance as the hired killer who is called upon to clean up a little mess perpetrated by some dummies who hold up the wrong poker game. This isn't the best performance of the year, but it may be the most fun I have had watching an actor perform this year.


Last edited by kihei: 11-30-2012 at 11:28 PM.
kihei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 11:28 PM
  #282
kihei
Registered User
 
kihei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,560
vCash: 4601
Anna Karenina: set design, adapted screenplay, lead actress (Keira Knightley) and supporting actor (Jude Law) are all distinct possibilities for nominations. I would say the movie has at best an outside chance of getting nominated for best film as it has received mediocre reviews for the most part, though I was quite entertained by it.

kihei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 07:20 PM
  #283
kihei
Registered User
 
kihei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,560
vCash: 4601
A Late Quartet: a lame script sinks it, but Walken and Keener are definitely possibilities for supporting acting nominations. Hoffman is a bit longer shot, as his performance is good but not inspired. Still it would be kind of fun to have him compete against himself in the supporting actor category.

kihei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 07:59 PM
  #284
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan
 
saskriders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Calgary/Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,942
vCash: 1322
Quote:
Originally Posted by discostu View Post
I saw Life of Pi on the weekend as well. I read the book years ago, and thought it was great, and thought this adaptation was a very good interpretation of some very tough material to bring to the screen.

That said, it doesn't feel like a best picture winner. It may score a nomination, depending on the strength of the field, and I haven't seen many of the other high buzz movies this year.

I think it will fare well in some other categories for nominations, such as visual effects, cinematography and for adapted screenplay.

I wasn't thinking of Iran Khan as a supporting actor nominee, but, would be happy to see it. That ending scene is tricky, and the weight of the whole film rests on it.
I probably won't see it, because to me it looks like a movie that is well made, but wouldn't entertain me.

Based of the trailer though the cinematography looks good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
Killing Them Softly could have been a contender, but it suffers from self-inflicted wounds as the director makes heavy use of archival television commentary to make obvious political points in too many scenes. Still, it's a pretty good and very entertaining movie for all that.

Brad Pitt, however, deserves a nomination for his performance as the hired killer who is called upon to clean up a little mess perpetrated by some dummies who hold up the wrong poker game. This isn't the best performance of the year, but it may be the most fun I have had watching an actor perform this year.
I was supposed to see that today, but my friend was sick. Might see it tomorrow or Wednesday, and will weigh in on it.

saskriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 03:23 PM
  #285
Stu Macher
Registered User
 
Stu Macher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Burke, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,399
vCash: 500
Judging by early reviews, it seems like the closest thing we have to a lock this year is Anne Hathaway winning for Les Miserables.

Stu Macher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 03:36 PM
  #286
SB164
Registered User
 
SB164's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: MTL
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,738
vCash: 500
Haneke's Palme d'Or winning drama picked up a quartet of awards at the European Film Awards.

The film picked up the evening's top award, the best European Film 2012, at the culmination of an evening's prize-giving.

Spanish filmmaker Carlos Saura and Amira Casar presented the award to Haneke for Amour. Haneke thanked everyone again, saying he didn't expect to be back on the stage again so soon after picked up the best director plaudit.

Jean-Louis Trintignant won the best European actor nod for his turn in Amour while his co-star Emmanuelle Riva picked up the evening's best actress award for her turn.


http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...ins-big-396607

SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 04:11 PM
  #287
DuckJet
#KESBAE
 
DuckJet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Funkytown
Country: Kazakhstan
Posts: 36,133
vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Macher View Post
Judging by early reviews, it seems like the closest thing we have to a lock this year is Anne Hathaway winning for Les Miserables.
Uhm. Jennifer Lawrence seems to be all but a lock for best actress.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 05:53 AM
  #288
P U L L H A R D
Picca Slice
 
P U L L H A R D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Ottawa
Country: Somalia
Posts: 23,619
vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
Uhm. Jennifer Lawrence seems to be all but a lock for best actress.
Les Miserables isn't even out yet, so I'm not sure how you would go ahead and say that.

__________________
Hardly Human
P U L L H A R D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 10:29 AM
  #289
kihei
Registered User
 
kihei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,560
vCash: 4601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Sunshine View Post
Les Miserables isn't even out yet, so I'm not sure how you would go ahead and say that.
You're right, it isn't out yet, but probably a lot of industry insiders have seen it, and that's where all the buzz is coming from. Just checking the bookies--because they are coldly impartial--Les Miserables is up to second favourite and gaining like a house afire on Argo, still the slight favourite. So Hathaway indeed looks formidable at the moment in the supporting actress category (she won't be competing against Lawrence, who is the lock of the century for best actress).

kihei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 11:21 AM
  #290
xX Hot Fuss
HFBoards Sponsor
 
xX Hot Fuss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 10,366
vCash: 500
Phoenix did a better job in The Master than DDL in Lincoln but i still want DDL to win.

xX Hot Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 01:11 PM
  #291
Johnny Bravo
1st overall again
 
Johnny Bravo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Game on
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,351
vCash: 500
I nominate Norman Reedus for every award! <3

Johnny Bravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 01:34 PM
  #292
kihei
Registered User
 
kihei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,560
vCash: 4601
Quote:
Originally Posted by xX Hot Fuss View Post
Phoenix did a better job in The Master than DDL in Lincoln but i still want DDL to win.
How come?

kihei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 01:50 PM
  #293
xX Hot Fuss
HFBoards Sponsor
 
xX Hot Fuss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 10,366
vCash: 500
I thought the Master was terrible. I know it might not make sense but Phoenix acted really well, but he also contributed to a terrible movie. DDL was also amazing but his performance contributed to an amazing and timeless film.

Might not be rational, just how I feel

xX Hot Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 02:57 PM
  #294
Stu Macher
Registered User
 
Stu Macher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Burke, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,399
vCash: 500
Today the winners of the New York Film Critic's Circle awards were announced, and Zero Dark Thirty walked out on top, winning awards for best picture, director, and cinematography. Lincoln came away with three awards as well, for screenplay, actor, and supporting actress (ugh). Other winners included Rachel Weisz for best actress for The Deep Blue Sea and Matthew McConaughey for supporting actor for his work in Magic Mike and Bernie. Amour wins best foreign film, and Frankenweenie wins best animated film.

I guess these awards are not known for predicting the Oscars. A quick run through shows they have predicted Best Picture 12 times since 1970, and Best Actor 15 times since 1970.

I do think that they are going to predict Best Actor correctly this year, as I think Day-Lewis is going to unfortunately win. I think Amour will probably end up winning, although the foreign film branch always loves to pull the rug out from under the favorite and give it so something else. Who knows, they might get Best Picture/Director right, Zero Dark Thirty could be a late favorite based on early reviews.

Stu Macher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 03:24 PM
  #295
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 32,889
vCash: 500
Awards:
I haven't seen Magic Mike and know nothing about it aside from the obvious, but for some reason I find myself secretly rooting for McConaughey in these Best Supporting Actor races. I guess I just like the idea of what seems like a very un-Academy type of movie turning out a Best Supporting Actor performance.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 03:35 PM
  #296
Stu Macher
Registered User
 
Stu Macher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Burke, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,399
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
I haven't seen Magic Mike and know nothing about it aside from the obvious, but for some reason I find myself secretly rooting for McConaughey in these Best Supporting Actor races. I guess I just like the idea of what seems like a very un-Academy type of movie turning out a Best Supporting Actor performance.

He was really terrific in it. It's been a great year for him, between that, Bernie (which I haven't seen yet), and my personal favorite of his performances, Killer Joe. With Killer Joe and Magic Mike, he really tapped into his inherent magnetism to carry him, instead of trying to force his talent. He's great in both movies.

Stu Macher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 05:05 PM
  #297
Bruv
Loveless
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Hamsterdam
Country: Finland
Posts: 52,854
vCash: 50
Kathryn Bigelow's movies are overrated, IMO.

Bruv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 07:09 PM
  #298
P U L L H A R D
Picca Slice
 
P U L L H A R D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Ottawa
Country: Somalia
Posts: 23,619
vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
You're right, it isn't out yet, but probably a lot of industry insiders have seen it, and that's where all the buzz is coming from. Just checking the bookies--because they are coldly impartial--Les Miserables is up to second favourite and gaining like a house afire on Argo, still the slight favourite. So Hathaway indeed looks formidable at the moment in the supporting actress category (she won't be competing against Lawrence, who is the lock of the century for best actress).
I'm not holding my breath, although I also favour Lawrence. I've been let down too many times to hope an actor or actress I prefer wins anymore.
edit: re read your post, Hathaway is in supporting category? Oh...
Quote:
Originally Posted by xX Hot Fuss View Post
I thought the Master was terrible. I know it might not make sense but Phoenix acted really well, but he also contributed to a terrible movie. DDL was also amazing but his performance contributed to an amazing and timeless film.

Might not be rational, just how I feel
I feel the exact opposite


Last edited by P U L L H A R D: 12-03-2012 at 07:21 PM.
P U L L H A R D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 07:36 PM
  #299
Hemskyfanboy83
Registered User
 
Hemskyfanboy83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 6,464
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Macher View Post
Today the winners of the New York Film Critic's Circle awards were announced, and Zero Dark Thirty walked out on top, winning awards for best picture, director, and cinematography. Lincoln came away with three awards as well, for screenplay, actor, and supporting actress (ugh). Other winners included Rachel Weisz for best actress for The Deep Blue Sea and Matthew McConaughey for supporting actor for his work in Magic Mike and Bernie. Amour wins best foreign film, and Frankenweenie wins best animated film.

I guess these awards are not known for predicting the Oscars. A quick run through shows they have predicted Best Picture 12 times since 1970, and Best Actor 15 times since 1970.

I do think that they are going to predict Best Actor correctly this year, as I think Day-Lewis is going to unfortunately win. I think Amour will probably end up winning, although the foreign film branch always loves to pull the rug out from under the favorite and give it so something else. Who knows, they might get Best Picture/Director right, Zero Dark Thirty could be a late favorite based on early reviews.
Really happy to see McConaughey get recognized. I haven't seen Magic Mike, but he was outstanding in Bernie.

Hemskyfanboy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 09:38 AM
  #300
XX
... Waiting
 
XX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: 48th State
Country: United States
Posts: 27,094
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Macher View Post
Early reviews of ZERO DARK THIRTY coming in...

http://blogs.indiewire.com/criticwir...thirty-reviews
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/zero_dark_thirty/

100% with 16 reviews. I think there's some bias there and in Hollywood for both this story and Kathryn Bigelow in general. Hurt Locker absolutely did not deserve the awards it got.

Les Miserables is total Oscar bait. I hate movies that so obviously pander to the academy. But I'm going to see it because it looks fantastic.

I wish Dark Knight Rises would win something.

XX is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:07 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.