HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Early Oscar buzz: ar...go....name some contenders

Old
12-11-2012, 11:08 AM
kihei

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
Zero Dark Thirty with a 99 out of 100 after 10 reviews on Metacritic. Their system isn't really the most accurate I've ever seen, but regardless, I've never seen a score that high after getting 10 or more reviews.
Those are fantastic numbers. And given the subject matter, it obviously will have broad audience appeal. If I were a betting man, I think I would place a bet on this one winning the big prize. One could still get pretty decent odds, though I expect not for long.

Quote:
Meanwhile Les Mis scored a 55 after 7 reviews. 80 was its highest score.
Just skimming rottentomatoes.com mini-blurbs, it would seem that some of the negative reviews are really vicious, too, not a good sign.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In terms of foreign language film, Barbara could conceivably make the "semi-final" cut of nine films, which will be released in mid-January. But I don't think the film is a serious contender. On the other hand, I am definitely rooting for Switzerland's Sister to get a nomination, but it is probably a long-shot hope. Very fine film, though.

Afterthought: Kacey Mottet Klein, th boy who plays Simon in Sister deserves a best acting nomination, though, of course, he will never even receive a glance in that direction. I know that some people are understandably reticent to see children nominated for acting awards, but outside of Trintignant and Phoenix, I can't think of a more deserving actor. He is on screen throughout the entire movie and he doesn't make one false move. Lea Sydoux's performance in the same movie is excellent, too. With Farewell, My Queen and now Sister, she is having quite a year.

Last edited by kihei: 12-11-2012 at 04:59 PM.
kihei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 01:35 PM
DuckJet
Ducks are math=Bad

vCash: 69
I honestly had a feeling that Les Mis wouldn't sit too well with some critics. I mean...I'm not critic, but I got the feeling after seeing the trailer and the featurette that it was Oscar bait.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 03:31 PM
Stu Macher

vCash: 500
So the SAG nominations came out, and Joaquin Phoenix is NOT nominated for The Master. What world am I living in? Philip Seymour Hoffman got a nomination for supporting, and Amy Adams was also ignored.

Stu Macher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 03:48 PM
Habsfan22100

Django Unchained is doing very well on RT so far. I'd still be surprised to see it get a Best Picture nomination, but I'm guessing it's a lock for a best original screenplay nom. DiCaprio has a decent chance at a supporting actor nom, but Waltz may be in tough for best actor. Really looking forward to seeing it.

Last edited by Habsfan22100: 12-12-2012 at 05:09 PM.
Habsfan22100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 05:07 PM
kihei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Macher View Post
So the SAG nominations came out, and Joaquin Phoenix is NOT nominated for The Master. What world am I living in? Philip Seymour Hoffman got a nomination for supporting, and Amy Adams was also ignored.
I'm astounded. He must have pissed off a lot of people somehow.

Old
12-12-2012, 05:25 PM
Stu Macher

Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
If so, this is an even more petty industry than I thought it was. How you could see him bear his soul in that film and not put him on your ballot is bewildering to me.

Old
12-12-2012, 06:12 PM
LucilleAustero

Just recently saw "Lawless". I hope Guy Pearce gets nod for Best Supporting Actor. He was fantastic as Charlie Rakes.

LucilleAustero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 06:18 PM
Bloumeister
Certifiable

Anne Hathaway trying to woo the Academy?

She's got my vote

Bloumeister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 06:41 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan22100 View Post
Django Unchained is doing very well on RT so far. I'd still be surprised to see it get a Best Picture nomination, but I'm guessing it's a lock for a best original screenplay nom. DiCaprio has a decent chance at a supporting actor nom, but Waltz may be in tough for best actor. Really looking forward to seeing it.
I wouldn't be surprised. The Academy does like Tarantino.

Quote:
A shame, really. Sean Penn has won twice even though he's openly dismissed the Oscars. Woody Allen has won too and he doesn't even show up. I could still see Joaquin getting a nomination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloumeister View Post

She's got my vote
What the **** is she wearing? A cape and knee braces? That might be one of the worst outfits I have ever seen. At least Björk wasn't trying to be serious.

le_sean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 07:16 PM
DuckJet
Ducks are math=Bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucilleAustero View Post
Just recently saw "Lawless". I hope Guy Pearce gets nod for Best Supporting Actor. He was fantastic as Charlie Rakes.
Don't bet on it. If Hardy isn't getting buzz for best actor for that role you can pretty much assume neither will Pearce. Though you're right that it was a great performance. But still even I'd say it wasn't the best supporting role this year.

Old
12-12-2012, 07:53 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
that 18 month period where he pretended to be a drugged out rapper probably pissed off some people.

Fish on The Sand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 07:56 PM
DKQ
Generic User Title

Is there a chance Javier Bardem gets recoginzed for Skyfall? I thought he was incredible in that film.

DKQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 08:08 PM
kihei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
that 18 month period where he pretended to be a drugged out rapper probably pissed off some people.
Yeah, after I posted that I thought the same thing--that prank or whatever it was, definitely not a good career move. Looks like the chickens came home to roost (doubt anybody says that any more. Oh, well....).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropkickQuinn View Post
Is there a chance Javier Bardem gets recoginzed for Skyfall? I thought he was incredible in that film.
He's got a shot, but I think it is a very long one. Tough category this year: Hoffman, Jones, De Niro, and Arkin, that's four likely nominees right there, leaving one opening for the field. I thought Bardem made a good Bond villain, but I don't know if it was all that much of a stretch for him. I might give the fifth spot to Jude Law actually, who was very good in Anna Karenina in a far more complex role.

Old
12-13-2012, 02:46 AM
DuckJet
Ducks are math=Bad

Quote:
I'm gonna go ahead and say no as well. As much as I'd like to see him score a nomination...I really don't think what Bardem did was enough. At least not with this field of contenders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucilleAustero View Post
I know I already responded to this but as it turns out Lawless was the next DVD on my Netflix mailing list so I gave it a re-watch. I know swearing is not exactly a dealbreaker when it comes to the academy but Pearce won't get the nomination and even if he was sublime for the rest of the movie, the final standoff scene would nix it for him. The characters breakdown is bit tough to watch. That raged stream of obscenities combined with a forced look of anger that gave more of a "he's constipated" impression could have been acted by anybody who doesn't lose their cool in front of a camera.

Old
12-13-2012, 03:09 AM
snowden
Man is matter

Quote:
He's been recognized by the critics choice and sags so quite possibly yes.

snowden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 01:09 AM
kihei

The Hobbit: could land a slew of technical nominations, but unlikely to make much of a dent anywhere else.

Old
12-14-2012, 11:16 AM
DaaaaB's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloumeister View Post

She's got my vote
I always wonder why celebrities put themselves in a position for this to happen by not wearing any underwear. That being said, them doing so certainly doesn't bother me.

Another Les Mis actress, Samantha Barks, looked absolutely stunning at the premiere and supposedly a talented actress. Hope to see her in more roles in the near future.

DaaaaB's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 05:11 PM
XX
... Waiting

Zero Dark Thirty gets its first negative review

Quote:
By showing scenes of torture without taking any kind of moral (as opposed to tactical) stand on what we are seeing, Bigelow has made an amoral movie -- which is, I would argue, an unconscionable approach to this material. Are we so cowed and wowed by cinematic technique that we can afford to lobotomize ourselves in this way?
Not surprisingly, it comes from the Christian Science Monitor.

Roeper thinks ZDT is frontrunner for best picture and Chastain for best actress

http://www.richardroeper.com/reviews...arkthirty.aspx

XX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 12:28 AM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

vCash: 1322
Quote:
The Hobbit: could land a slew of technical nominations, but unlikely to make much of a dent anywhere else.
I thought the cinematography and score were excellent. However the Academy only gave LOTR a cinematography for FOTR, so their opinions on what is good cinematography may be different. FOTR and ROTK both won original score though.

Like you say Visual Effects may be its best chance.

Makeup may have a chance due to all the dwarfs, although I am far from knowledgeable in that category.

The Art Direction was good too in my opinion, but off the top of my head I only remember 2 places that weren't in LOTR, were an extension on something seen in LOTR, or were out in the wild. So I don't think there is enough to warrant a nomination.

Andy Serkis was good, but not as good as LOTR. However this may be due to his limited screen time. If he had more his performance may have been more memorable. Also, we got to see less emotions of his character then we saw in LOTR

So in my opinion the reasonable range for nominations is 1-4. If you really stretch it then it might get 5 or 6, but that is very unlikely in my opinion

saskriders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 02:20 AM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

vCash: 1322
Just worth noting in my opinion

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...it_film_series

Also, on another note, does anyone think Skyfall has a chance at best original song?

saskriders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 02:27 AM
DuckJet
Ducks are math=Bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskriders View Post
Just worth noting in my opinion

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...it_film_series

Also, on another note, does anyone think Skyfall has a chance at best original song?
Nomination? I think it's pretty much a lock. Win? I doubt it'll take one from Les Mis but I've seen stranger things happen and to be honest, there aren't a lot of people in Hollywood that DON'T like Adele.

Old
12-15-2012, 08:08 AM
Stu Macher

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
Nomination? I think it's pretty much a lock. Win? I doubt it'll take one from Les Mis but I've seen stranger things happen and to be honest, there aren't a lot of people in Hollywood that DON'T like Adele.
I think Skyfall wins best original song over Les Miserables. Keep in mind that the Les Mis song that is getting nominated is not one of the ones from the Broadway musical, but one written specifically for the movie. I think it possibly hurts it to be one song in a sea of them, and voters know it's probably not close to the best song in the film, just the only one eligible for a nomination.

Old
12-15-2012, 11:17 AM
kihei

McCartney's Live and Let Die was nominated but then lost to The Way We Were in 1973. Obviously that was a long time ago, but it's a similar kind of match-up this year. If not a certainty for the win, Skyfall's song is nonetheless a lock for the nomination.

Old
12-16-2012, 10:22 AM
kihei

Early days yet, but initial reviews for Les Miserables on rottentomatoes give it a 73% score currently. To put that in perspective: of the top fifteen movies that could get nominated according to Gold Derby, that score, if it holds, would place Les Miserables dead last. This baby could just fade away.

Old
12-16-2012, 03:05 PM
Howard Beale

Quote:
Early days yet, but initial reviews for Les Miserables on rottentomatoes give it a 73% score currently. To put that in perspective: of the top fifteen movies that could get nominated according to Gold Derby, that score, if it holds, would place Les Miserables dead last. This baby could just fade away.
Looking at Gold Derby now, I see that Les Miserables has been bumped down to 4th place in the Best Picture Rankings, with Lincoln in 1st now and Zero Dark Thirty in 2nd. The most shocking change, however, is that Joaquin Phoenix has been bumped down to 6th in his category. I still haven't seen The Master, but from what I've heard it'll be a joke if he doesn't even get a nomination.

Howard Beale is offline   Reply With Quote