HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Early Oscar buzz: ar...go....name some contenders

Old
01-04-2013, 09:16 PM
Howard Beale

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SB164 View Post
I just wanted to remind everyone that Tom Hooper has an Oscar for Best Director. In other words, Tom Hooper has more Oscars than Darren Arofnofsky, Paul Thomas Anderson, and David Fincher. Tom Hooper
...more than Stanley Kubrick, Alfred Hitchcock, Orson Welles, Robert Altman, Sidney Lumet, Terrence Malick, David Lynch...

Howard Beale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 09:58 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Future is Now

Awards:
Quote:
I just wanted to remind everyone that Tom Hooper has an Oscar for Best Director. In other words, Tom Hooper has more Oscars than Darren Arofnofsky, Paul Thomas Anderson, and David Fincher. Tom Hooper
Well he may not have deserved it for that particular film, but The King's Speech is still a great movie. Let's not throw out the baby with the bathwater.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 12:09 PM
Stu Macher

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Well he may not have deserved it for that particular film, but The King's Speech is still a great movie. Let's not throw out the baby with the bathwater.
I think the issue with his win that year was that The Kings Speech is simply very capably made, albeit enjoyable. He beat 4 definite auteurs (Fincher, O. Russel, Coen, Aronofsky), which doesn't settle well with many people, thought I personally don't love The Fighter, and Black Swan is the only Aronofsky film I care for.

In that way, Tom Hooper winning for The King's Speech is similar to Ron Howard winning for A Beautiful Mind, another capably made film, but beat out David Lynch for Mulholland Dr and Ridley Scott for Black Hawk Down.

Stu Macher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 12:13 PM
Stu Macher

Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
Zero Dark Thirty: definitely a serious contender, should bag a carload of nominations, including best picture, director, script, and acting. Jessica Chastain will give Jennifer Lawrence a real run for her money. It does have controversial elements, but it could hardly avoid them. So it's chances of actually winning best picture are probably less than they should be.

If I were a gambling man (I'm not), I'd still put heavy money on it winning best picture. I don't think Lincoln has the legs to hang with it, Argo faded a while back, and Les Miserables didn't even leave the gate. It kind of feels like a one horse race to me right now, but I suppose anything can happen.

Stu Macher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 12:41 PM
kihei

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Macher View Post
I think the issue with his win that year was that The Kings Speech is simply very capably made, albeit enjoyable. He beat 4 definite auteurs (Fincher, O. Russel, Coen, Aronofsky), which doesn't settle well with many people, thought I personally don't love The Fighter, and Black Swan is the only Aronofsky film I care for.

In that way, Tom Hooper winning for The King's Speech is similar to Ron Howard winning for A Beautiful Mind, another capably made film, but beat out David Lynch for Mulholland Dr and Ridley Scott for Black Hawk Down.
I remember when I reviewed The King's Speech, which I liked but didn't love, I referred to it as "a comfortable armchair" of a movie, sturdy, well-made, a little stolid, dependable. So I would definitely agree with this point.

Quote:
If I were a gambling man (I'm not), I'd still put heavy money on it winning best picture. I don't think Lincoln has the legs to hang with it, Argo faded a while back, and Les Miserables didn't even leave the gate. It kind of feels like a one horse race to me right now, but I suppose anything can happen.
Well, Lincoln is another comfortable armchair of a movie, so I don't know. Zero Dark Thirty's amorality could be a deal breaker with a lot of voters, though I don't know how Bigelow could have made the movie any other way without creating something completely different and possibly even more controversial. I think Les Mis has pretty much died the death. My dog in the race, Life of Pi, has zero chance. People haven't loved Silver Linings Playbook the way TIFF did. That leaves Argo as the movie with the potential to catch a second wind, which it might do. It has been out of the frontrunner position for so long, it may seem fresh again. But right now I like Lincoln's chances.

kihei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 11:50 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Future is Now

Awards:
Quote:

Quote:
I remember when I reviewed The King's Speech, which I liked but didn't love, I referred to it as "a comfortable armchair" of a movie, sturdy, well-made, a little stolid, dependable. So I would definitely agree with this point.
I agree as well - there's nothing especially brilliant about the direction of the King's Speech. In fact I had to go back and check Wikipedia to re-confirm for myself that he really did win it. Don't have a problem with the movie winning Best Picture but winning Director too seemed like an odd choice. I would have liked to have seen Fincher take that.

Which reminds me, I should really watch The Social Network again. I only saw it once in the theatres and even though I thought it was great, I want to see if I still feel the same way.

Old
01-06-2013, 10:28 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

Lo Imposible or The Impossible hit the theaters this past week in Finland to rave reviews and I noticed the reviews mentioning that Naomi Watts is being talked as a surefire Oscar nominee for her performance in that one.

Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 10:35 PM
kihei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
Lo Impossible hit the theaters this past week in Finland to rave reviews and I noticed the reviews mentioning that Naomi Watts is being talked as a surefire Oscar nominee for her performance in that one.
I thought it was a total Oscar bait performance that only required Watts to suffer convincingly for long periods of time. Wasn't impressed with it or the movie.

Old
01-06-2013, 10:39 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

Quote:
I thought it was a total Oscar bait performance that only required Watts to suffer convincingly for long periods of time. Wasn't impressed with it or the movie.
It didn't take much convincing to suffer: http://www.starpulse.com/news/index....chitis_during_

Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 11:53 AM
MrWoof
DBU luvs me!

vCash: 50
Christoph Waltz for best actor, Django for picture and director.

Oh, right... this is the Academy we're talking about.

MrWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 11:57 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Future is Now

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWoof View Post

Yes, the Academy would never give Christoph Waltz an Oscar for a role in a Tarantino movie...

Old
01-07-2013, 12:10 PM
BonMorrison
Sexy Back

Quote:
Yes, the Academy would never give Christoph Waltz an Oscar for a role in a Tarantino movie...

Nice.

BonMorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 06:38 PM
Cyris
Global Moderator
The one who knocks!

vCash: 1269
Quote:
Win!

Cyris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 09:32 PM
Bloumeister
Certifiable

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWoof View Post

Bloumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 10:01 PM
MrWoof
DBU luvs me!

Quote:
LOL... I know Waltz won supporting for his phenomenal portrayal of Hans Landa in IB.

That wasn't my point.

Great to see everyone blowing their load though.

Old
01-07-2013, 10:09 PM
Philly85
Moody'

MrWoof wins.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 11:10 PM
MrWoof
DBU luvs me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
MrWoof wins.
My point was that the Academy is unpredictable. Not often in a good way.

They've made plenty of head-scratching decisions in the past.

Old
01-08-2013, 12:54 AM
kihei

It's shaping up as a competitive year in a lot of categories (for example, supporting actor is ridiculous). Anybody see any absolute locks at this stage? I'd say Hathaway, but I don't see any other absolute sure things.

Old
01-08-2013, 01:07 AM
DuckJet
#iamsorry

vCash: 69
Wasn't very impressed with Zero Dark Thirty. The directing style....I can't put my finger on it but the whole time I was watching it, it felt too familiar. Down to the strong female lead with the weight of an entire operation on her shoulders. I can't give a comparison but I feel like I've seen a movie exactly like it before. Not bad by any means but I was expecting a little more. Some more controversial scenes may cost it the Best Picture. Chastain, as Kihei said will give Jennifer Lawrence a run for her money. She's no longer a lock. But to be honest, I felt like there were better options than Chastain for this role. She was capable in my opinion and at times she was very moving but for most of the movie, her acting seemed very routine

Spoil:
The part where she claims to be the mother****** who found the house was cringeworthy for me. She doesn't handle swears very well. You can almost here disappointment in her voice for having to use them.

I'll admit I'm a bit biased as a big Lawrence fan but that doesn't mean I watched this trying to dislike Chastain. I just wasn't blown away as I thought I would be. She was good. She wasn't great.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 11:49 AM
kihei

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
Wasn't very impressed with Zero Dark Thirty. The directing style....I can't put my finger on it but the whole time I was watching it, it felt too familiar. Down to the strong female lead with the weight of an entire operation on her shoulders. I can't give a comparison but I feel like I've seen a movie exactly like it before.
I read this just before I went to bed last night, which was a huge mistake. I wouldn't have gotten there on my own, but I know what you mean. For the life of me, I can't think of the movie that it is similar to, however. The best that I could come up with--and it is a long shot--is the Joan Allen character in the last film in the original Bourne trilogy, The Bourne Ultimatum. Doesn't feel right, though.

Last edited by kihei: 01-08-2013 at 11:54 AM.
Old
01-08-2013, 01:05 PM
DuckJet
#iamsorry

vCash: 69
Quote:
I read this just before I went to bed last night, which was a huge mistake. I wouldn't have gotten there on my own, but I know what you mean. For the life of me, I can't think of the movie that it is similar to, however. The best that I could come up with--and it is a long shot--is the Joan Allen character in the last film in the original Bourne trilogy, The Bourne Ultimatum. Doesn't feel right, though.
I meant the whole...I'm not a film critic so I couldn't tell you what I mean by using the right term but something about the flow and direction of the movie felt too familiar.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 01:58 PM
SB164

I want to check out Anne Hathaway's performance to see what all the fuss is about, but I don't want to sit through Les Miserables. That's a valid excuse, right?

SB164 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 02:59 PM
Hemskyfanboy83

Quote:
I want to check out Anne Hathaway's performance to see what all the fuss is about, but I don't want to sit through Les Miserables. That's a valid excuse, right?
I wish I had your restraint. I try to watch every best picture nominee even when I know it is going to suck (War Horse, Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close).

Hemskyfanboy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 03:37 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Future is Now

Awards:
Quote:
Like I said in my review, at least it happens in the first 30 minutes so you can duck out early.

Of course, whether you want to pay full theatre price to see one performance of a song is up to you.

Old
01-08-2013, 03:41 PM
kihei

Quote:
Sure. Though I am not certain that I have ever encountered a non-valid excuse for seeing a movie. Even if you find Hathaway a little...um...showy, the performance is still definitely worth a look.