HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Early Oscar buzz: ar...go....name some contenders

Old
01-08-2013, 03:47 PM
kihei

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Like I said in my review, at least it happens in the first 30 minutes so you can duck out early.
Man, that's easier said than done in my case. No matter how reluctantly I enter the theatre, I almost never leave until the credits roll. I think the last time was Woody Allen's lifeless Match Point (2005) which I left after 45 dull minutes. Not once since then.

kihei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 03:58 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
Man, that's easier said than done in my case. No matter how reluctantly I enter the theatre, I almost never leave until the credits roll. I think the last time was Woody Allen's lifeless Match Point (2005) which I left after 45 dull minutes. Not once since then.
I'm the same. I've actually never bailed on a movie in the theatre. Closest I came was the documentary about the Montreal riots last year, but I stuck it out.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 04:10 PM
Stu Macher

I left a movie early once, and payed a penalty for it. I left Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest after about 40 dreadful minutes, and ducked into a showing of Superman Returns that was just starting. Talk about out of the frying pan and into the fire...

Stu Macher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 06:58 PM
invictus

Quote:
I found the pacing of Match Point odd, but enjoyed it overall. Not really what I expected from a Woody Allen movie. Give it a go again someday

I walked out on "The Trip." I think my mood that day just did not fit it. All I hear are rave reviews, but I thought it was awful and unfunny.

invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 12:42 PM
Stu Macher

Hmmm, the American Society of Cinematographers have announced their 5 nominees for Best Cinematography, and The Master isn't among them.

Anna Karenina
Lincoln
Life of Pi
Les Miserables
Skyfall

Old
01-09-2013, 09:17 PM
snowden
Man is matter

I can't believe Nicole Kidman is getting any kind of buzz. That movie is absolutely dreadful and a lot of that has to do with her garbage performance. It's embarrassing. So I'm sure she'll get a nod tomorrow morning.

snowden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 10:21 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Are the Oscars still relevant?

Edit:

Do they have a "Best 3d!" or "Best higher-frame-rate" category yet?

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 11:33 PM
vecens24

Quote:
Yes, the Academy would never give Christoph Waltz an Oscar for a role in a Tarantino movie...
Speaking of Waltz, did we ever figure out if he's submitted for the Academy in Best Actor or Best Supporting. This:

http://www.hitfix.com/in-contention/...ango-unchained

Quote:
The Best Actor field is already sufficiently crowded -- with a couple of nominees seemingly glued in place -- that you wouldn't envy any newcomer to the race. Yet The Weinstein Company, which is hardly short of a serious contender in the category, is reportedly sufficiently high on Christoph Waltz in the still-unseen "Django Unchained" to campaign him in the lead category.

Gold Derby's Tom O'Neil quotes an unspecified "insider" as saying Waltz's performance as a dentist-***-bounty-hunter, who joins Jamie Foxx's title character in a rescue mission, "towers over the whole movie." That's the kind of claim many had assumed would be made for Leonardo DiCaprio's villainous supporting turn. Is Waltz really the film's MVP -- just as he was, to Oscar-winning effect, in Quentin Tarantino's last effort -- or is he being elevated to declutter DiCaprio's Best Supporting Actor campaign?
says he's in Lead Actor and not supporting for the Academy, even though he's been nominated as a Supporting Actor everywhere else. Has this been cleared up somewhere else?

I honestly think that Django should get three nominations in this category with DiCaprio and Jackson too if we count Waltz as a supporting, along with Hoffman and Tommy Lee Jones. I have no idea why everyone loved De Niro's performance so much. If it wasn't De Niro he wouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath as these five, plus Arkin. Also, I wouldn't be opposed to a McConaughey nomination for Magic Mike.

Obviously I know there's no chance of that happening, but one could hope, right?

vecens24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 12:49 AM
SB164

I may be in the minority in this, but I thought that Leo did a much better job than Christoph Waltz. Now, that's not to discredit Waltz, but I just didn't see anything challenging in that role. In fact, I wasn't really fascinated by his character as much I was fascinated by the actor himself and the choices he made. I'd even argue that Tarantino was a bit lazy when writing the character of Dr. Schultz, and with good reason. He likely knew that no matter what, Waltz would bring that character alive (which he did).

Now Leo's character, on the other hand, was much more fleshed out. He has these hilariously strange quirks and idiosyncrasies (credit to QT the writer for that). And man, does Leo have fun with that role. Just hearing his twist of a Southern twang was worth the price of admission alone. I couldn't but think help of a certain Chappelle's Show skit throughout his scenes.

And I can't help but wonder though, how would this film have turned out if Tarantino had snagged his original choice for Django? Of course, I'm talking about Will Smith.

SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 12:59 AM
Ser Woof
Pull the trigger

vCash: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by SB164 View Post
I may be in the minority in this, but I thought that Leo did a much better job than Christoph Waltz. Now, that's not to discredit Waltz, but I just didn't see anything challenging in that role. In fact, I wasn't really fascinated by his character as much I was fascinated by the actor himself and the choices he made. I'd even argue that Tarantino was a bit lazy when writing the character of Dr. Schultz, and with good reason. He likely knew that no matter what, Waltz would bring that character alive (which he did).

Now Leo's character, on the other hand, was much more fleshed out. He has these hilariously strange quirks and idiosyncrasies (credit to QT the writer for that). And man, does Leo have fun with that role. Just hearing his twist of a Southern twang was worth the price of admission alone. I couldn't but think help of a certain Chappelle's Show skit throughout his scenes.

And I can't help but wonder though, how would this film have turned out if Tarantino had snagged his original choice for Django? Of course, I'm talking about Will Smith.
Blah... Will Smith? Just can't picture him in a QT film. I'm not the biggest Foxx fan but I just really don't think the role would have fit Smith.

Ser Woof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 02:29 AM
DuckJet
Destiny pls

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by SB164 View Post

You're not alone. I think Leo deserves a nomination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWoof View Post
Blah... Will Smith? Just can't picture him in a QT film. I'm not the biggest Foxx fan but I just really don't think the role would have fit Smith.
No. Smith could not have pulled this role off. Great actor, but this is not his thing. Sure he's been in action movies but I've never seen him do questionable **** the way Foxx's Django did in any movies. Just can't see it.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 08:00 AM
Stu Macher

9 Best Picture nominees, and no The Master... sigh. However, Amour does get a nomination in the category, and Haneke for Writing and Director!

A lot of love for Beasts of the Southern Wild, which scores nominations for Picture, Director, Screenplay and Actress.

EDIT: Wait, wait, wait... I just noticed something. Kathryn Bigelow is not among the 5 nominees for Best Director? David O. Russell, Ang Lee, Steven Spielberg, Michael Haneke, and Benh Zeitlan? That is shocking to me.

Old
01-10-2013, 08:46 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
I don't know what exactly the qualifications are to be a "Supporting" actor versus a "Lead" actor but am I alone in thinking Waltz must have just squeaked in? I'm glad he did, but I'm not sure I would call him a "supporting" actor in that movie since he was pretty front and center for most of it.

Old
01-10-2013, 08:47 AM
BonMorrison
Sexy Back

Quote:
I don't know what exactly the qualifications are to be a "Supporting" actor versus a "Lead" actor but am I alone in thinking Waltz must have just squeaked in? I'm glad he did, but I'm not sure I would call him a "supporting" actor in that movie since he was pretty front and center for most of it.
I was discussing this with my friend - we feel like he was submitted as supporting because he has a much better chance of winning that category than leading.

BonMorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 09:02 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonMorrison View Post
I was discussing this with my friend - we feel like he was submitted as supporting because he has a much better chance of winning that category than leading.
It definitely seems that way. Though as I said, I have no idea what criteria (if any) is used to determine the nominess of each. Didn't Anthony Hopkins win Best Actor with only like 17 minutes of screen time in Silence of the Lambs?

Old
01-10-2013, 10:03 AM
kihei

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonMorrison View Post
Ironic in a way, because the supporting actor category is loaded this year, while the actor category is relatively weak.

I'd rank the foreign language films nominated this way:

Amour
No
A Royal Affair
War Witch
Kon-Tiki

Old
01-10-2013, 10:19 AM
vecens24

Quote:
Ironic in a way, because the supporting actor category is loaded this year, while the actor category is relatively weak.

I'd rank the foreign language films nominated this way:

Amour
No
A Royal Affair
War Witch
Kon-Tiki
I think he probably DOES have a better chance to win Supporting Actor, even though it's ridiculously deep. I don't think he had a chance to beat Day-Lewis in Actor, but at least has a chance to pull it off against that Supporting Actor field.

vecens24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 10:31 AM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Quote:
I think the studios decide where to put their candidates.

I'd agree that Waltz is a co-lead with Foxx, but this one doesn't feel nearly as egregious as some other category shenannigans in Oscar history ....

I was going to cite Hopkins, but you beat me to it. Lots of such silliness in Academy history though -- Forrest Whitaker in The Last King of Scotland, Meryl Streep in The Devil Wears Prada, Ethan Hawke in Training Day, Jamie Foxx in Collateral, Casey Affleck in The Assassination of Jesse James ... and some of the bad recent ones.

Then there is the granddaddy of them all IMO -- Marlon Brando as the lead in The Godfather and Al Pacino as supporting actor.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 10:43 AM
Howard Beale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Macher View Post
9 Best Picture nominees, and no The Master... sigh. However, Amour does get a nomination in the category, and Haneke for Writing and Director!

A lot of love for Beasts of the Southern Wild, which scores nominations for Picture, Director, Screenplay and Actress.

EDIT: Wait, wait, wait... I just noticed something. Kathryn Bigelow is not among the 5 nominees for Best Director? David O. Russell, Ang Lee, Steven Spielberg, Michael Haneke, and Benh Zeitlan? That is shocking to me.
No Bigelow, no Hooper, no Affleck. Things just got a lot more interesting.

Howard Beale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 11:28 AM
kihei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Beale View Post
No Bigelow, no Hooper, no Affleck. Things just got a lot more interesting.
Hopefullly. Or it could just mean a tsunami of support for Spielberg.

Old
01-10-2013, 12:17 PM
Eisen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Macher View Post

I'm actually very happy that Bigelow didn't get a nomination.

Eisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 01:08 PM
kihei

Selected Categories (my vote on top; the probable winner at the bottom).

Best Picture
Amour
Lincoln

Foreign Language Film
Amour Austria
Amour Austria

Actor in a Leading Role
Joaquin Phoenix in The Master
Daniel Day-Lewis in Lincoln

Actor in a Supporting Role
Christoph Waltz in Django Unchained
Tommy Lee Jones in Lincoln

Actress in a Leading Role
Emmanuelle Riva in Amour
Jennifer Lawrence in Silver Linings Playbook

Actress in a Supporting Role
Helen Hunt in The Sessions
Anne Hathaway in Les Misérables

Directing
Amour Michael Haneke
Lincoln Steven Spielberg

Writing (Adapted Screenplay)
Life of Pi Screenplay by David Magee
Lincoln Screenplay by Tony Kushner

Writing (Original Screenplay)
Amour Written by Michael Haneke
Zero Dark Thirty Written by Mark Boal

Cinematography
Life of Pi Claudio Miranda
Life of Pi Claudio Miranda

Documentary Feature
Searching for Sugar Man
The Invisible War

Film Editing
Life of Pi Tim Squyres
Argo William Goldenberg

Visual Effects
Life of Pi Bill Westenhofer, Guillaume Rocheron, Erik-Jan De Boer and Donald R. Elliott
Life of Pi Bill Westenhofer, Guillaume Rocheron, Erik-Jan De Boer and Donald R. Elliott

Old
01-10-2013, 01:38 PM
DuckJet
Destiny pls

vCash: 69
A few surprises for me.

Best Picture:

Django Unchained instead of the Master. You'd think all the violence and controversial topics would keep Django out and The Master was easily a top 5 movie this year. Strange.

Best director:

No Bigelow. I can totally justify it. The style and pacing of Zero Dark Thirty is not original and borders on bland. But you'd think a movie nominated for Best Picture would see it's former best director winner make the list. Also no Affleck? Come on. Argo was excellently done. At least Affleck can grin about the fact that his movie was nominated and is a contender for best picture.

Best Actor:

Bradley Cooper's inclusion. I don't think there's a shot in hell that he wins but I really felt he deserved it. The reason it's a surprise is that most people looked at his chances of a nomination as slim. His best performance of his career to date. Kudos to him. Also a tad bit surprised to see Jackman and Washington. Only a tad because those are easy names to throw in.

Best Actress: Naomi Watts' nomination. Give me a break. there were plenty of other options here. This is clearly a two girl race between Lawrence and Chastain, but Watts was borderline Razzie material.

Supporting Actor: De Niro and Walz's inclusions. Reading up on predictions it seemed that this race was so tight that De Niro and Walz didn't have much of a shot. Though I feel they were both very deserving (though I will say there was a better supporting actor in Django and that was Leo. One of his best performances to date as Candie. The issue is he played an evil slaveowner who used the N word like it was the word "I". But that shouldn't take away from his performance" the hammer scene where he cuts himself, he actually cut himself with the hammer and started improvising the rest, and that was arguably the best scene of the movie.)

Best Supporting Actress:

Jacki Weaver. She was good but I didn't think she was oscar good. Whatever. She's not gonna win.

Anyway here's my predictions (not who I think should win either)

Picture: Lincoln
Actor: Daniel Day Lewis
Actress: Jennifer Lawrence
Supporting Actor: Philip Seymour Hoffman or Tommy Lee Jones. Can't make up my mind
Supporting Actress: Anne Hathaway
Original Screenplay: Micheal Haneke, Amour
Adapted Screenplay Tony Kushner, Lincoln
Foreign Film: Amour
Documentary: Not well versed in this category but I'll say 5 Broken Cameras
Animated Film: Brave
Cinematography: Roger Deakins, Skyfall
Sound Editing: Zero Dark Thirty (too many names )
Sound Mixing: Skyfall
Makeup and Hair: The Hobbit
Original Score: Les Miserables
Origianl Song: Adele, Skyfall
Production Design: Les Mis
Visual Effects: The Hobbit
Costume Design: Lincoln

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 01:48 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
^^^ I'm surprised you consider Cooper a surprise, he seemed to have a nomination locked up as soon as the movie came out. Anyway another poster called it the "who's going to lose to DDL" race and that's pretty accurate, but good for him to get nominated.

I'm also a little surprised at how many people think DiCaprio might have deserved a nomination. I thought he was fine, but nothing particularly Oscar worthy.

And I agree with you 100% on Weaver. I barely even remember her performance. But, okay.

I'm seeing ZDT this weekend so I'll make my votes after that.

Old
01-10-2013, 02:16 PM
SB164

Quote:
Originally Posted by KallioWeHardlyKnewYe View Post
I think the studios decide where to put their candidates.

I'd agree that Waltz is a co-lead with Foxx, but this one doesn't feel nearly as egregious as some other category shenannigans in Oscar history ....

I was going to cite Hopkins, but you beat me to it. Lots of such silliness in Academy history though -- Forrest Whitaker in The Last King of Scotland
The way people were talking about Whitaker in 2006 had me wondering if anybody had actually seen the movie. Mind you, I thought he was great and deserving of almost all of the accolades, but the thing that bothered me was the fact that nobody was talking about James McCavoy, who was absolutely fantastic.

Edit: 2006 was a strong year for acting. I really thought it would be the year Peter O'Toole would finally win an Oscar.

SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote