HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Early Oscar buzz: ar...go....name some contenders

Old
02-24-2013, 02:20 PM
Stu Macher

vCash: 500
Even though supporting actor is a pretty strong field, I wish Irrfan Khan could have gotten a nod for Life of Pi.

Spoil:
While I've said that the first processing scene in The Master is the best scene of the year, Khan's monologue in Life of Pi about his disappointment when Richard Parker left him is a close second. Just beautiful and heartbreaking stuff, and if he could have gotten a nod for that one moment, I'd be happy.

Stu Macher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 02:26 PM
kihei

vCash: 3140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Macher View Post
I think he looks a bit younger in It Happened One Night (albeit, he was 5 years younger).
By the way, concerning our bright idea from awhile ago, it would be extremely challenging to recast. Actors persona seem so different today, and Gable is sort of one of a kind.

I wish tonight the Academy would do one of those bits where they use clips from old movies to show screen kisses throughout Hollywood history. There is certainly a couple of shots that they could use from this film. That's always fun. Cinema Paradiso ended with one of those montages if I remember correctly.

Oh, and me, too, on Khan.

kihei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 02:30 PM
SB164

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Macher View Post
Even though supporting actor is a pretty strong field, I wish Irrfan Khan could have gotten a nod for Life of Pi.
As you can probably tell by my avatar, I'm a huge fan of Irrfan Khan. Always nice to see an Indian actor do well in Hollywood. I also thought he was excellent in The Darjeeling Limited.

SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 02:40 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

I'm about to watch Beasts of the Southern Wild. This will bring me to 8/9 with Amour being the lone exception. Unfortunately Amour never made its way to my neck of the woods.

Fish on The Sand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 02:45 PM
kihei

vCash: 3140
Quote:
Originally Posted by SB164 View Post
As you can probably tell by my avatar, I'm a huge fan of Irrfan Khan. Always nice to see an Indian actor do well in Hollywood. I also thought he was excellent in The Darjeeling Limited.
...and The Warrior. He really made that movie. His elegance as an actor reminds me a little of Raul Julia sometimes. His speech at the end of Life of Pi has stayed with me as vividly as any scene that I have seen this year. I always botch the cultural parameters in Indian film, but, god, I wished he and Satyajit Ray had been making movies together. Not taking anything away from the superb actors that Ray used in these roles, Khan would have been brilliant in Devi or The Hero or Charulata or The Adversary of Home and the World. I'm really looking forward to watching more of his films.

kihei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 03:00 PM
SB164

Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
...and The Warrior. He really made that movie. His elegance as an actor reminds me a little of Raul Julia sometimes. His speech at the end of Life of Pi has stayed with me as vividly as any scene that I have seen this year. I always botch the cultural parameters in Indian film, but, god, I wished he and Satyajit Ray had been making movies together. Not taking anything away from the superb actors that Ray used in these roles, Khan would have been brilliant in Devi or The Hero or Charulata or The Adversary of Home and the World. I'm really looking forward to watching more of his films.
Speaking of Satyjit Ray and "elegance as an actor", one of my all-time favourites is the great Uttam Kumar. I grew up watching his films thanks to my parents.

SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 03:12 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
We better do a proper Oscars GDT later tonight, so all the show talk won't get cluttered here.
hototogisu I think should get it done

Melrose Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 03:58 PM
Stu Macher

Unfortunately, I have to work tonight, so I will not be able to watch the Oscars with you fine people.

Stu Macher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 05:24 PM
le_sean

vCash: 612
Uhh Samantha Barks dress. Va-va-voom.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 05:43 PM
awesomo
HARD!